ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of the Spring game

Wake me when and if SPS District 81 ever does the right thing.

They caused the cluster in the first place with parking demands.

Wake me when and if SPS District 81 ever does the right thing.

They caused the cluster in the first place with parking demands.

Spokane constantly thinking there isn't enough parking for anything will never cease to amaze me. Half of the downtown area is parking lots.

Spokane constantly thinking there isn't enough parking for anything will never cease to amaze me. Half of the downtown area is parking lots.
It’s comical if you’ve tried to Park in South Lake Union area recently. Spokane parking is damn near infinite by comparison.

Towns like Spokane (and Wichita) don't understand real parking problems and the citizens bitch about parking relentlessly without realizing how good they have it. The downtown arena in Wichita seats over 15,000 people for major events and has hosted several that hit that threshold. The naysayers were in a panic about how terrible it would be. I went to Metallica there last fall and it was completely full. When I left the concert, it took me less than 30 minutes to walk to my car, get out of the parking lot, drive home (about 9 miles away) and sit down. If you ask the naysayers in Wichita......parking at the arena sucks. It doesn't surprise me to see that Spokane is the same.

When we went to Sprint Center in Kansas City, there was parking only a couple blocks away, but it was sketchy as hell and I was pleased to find my car still had it's wheels on it and windows unbroken when I got back from the game. It's always fun when a homeless dude hits you up for cash 30 seconds after the parking lot attendant hands you change back for the parking.

I'd prefer to leave Spokane out of the Spring Game conversation and continue making steps towards turning it into an "event" in Martin Stadium.
I absolutely agree on turning it into an event. The Tri-cities still strike me as more accessible to the bulk of the alumni. How about adding a concert of some sort? And maybe the Washington Beef guys could set up a barbeque stand. Previously I had suggested a wine tasting venue. All may well show a profit for the school. Attractions along with the Spring scrimmage could draw a decent crowd if done well. Just the scrimmage alone has been shown not to draw well from those who have to travel some distance. Chun's presentation of Klay Thompson's number retirement suggests to me that he and his staff could very well do this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT