ADVERTISEMENT

Star ratings for the 2019 NFL draft picks

I've been noticing that over the past few years. I think the Super Bowl rosters showed a similar a breakdown. As much as people want to say that star ranking don't matter, that's not entirely inaccurate. The majority of NFL players received a star rating of 3 or higher. I suspect the same is true for the top-25 programs. Most of the key players were fairly highly regarded.

3 stars had 11 players in draft, more then 4, 5 stars.

What does this mean?

It means a seemingly contradictive that stars, both do, and dont matter.

Stars matter because almost no 2 stars, and no, no stars, in draft.

Stars dont matter because more 3 stars, then 4,5 stars in draft.

So what does that mean?

It means there is a demarcation line, where anything under that line Stars Matter, and anything over that line, Stars dont matter.

And that line is 3 stars.

Any under 3 stars like lowest ended 3 stars, 2 stars, no stars, NR, show stars matter, because any under 3 stars typically dont do as well as higher stars.

Anything over 3 stars, like highest ended 3 stars, 4 stars, 5 stars show that Stars dont matter, because more 3 stars drafted then
4,5 stars.

And why are more 3 stars drafted then 4,5 stars?

Because talent wise, there isnt that big of a difference between 3 stars, and 4,5 stars. Highest ended 3 stars are ALMOST the same talent wise as 4 stars, 5 stars.

The only difference, and why some 3 stars are not 4, 5 stars, is that some 3 stars go UNDER THE RADAR, and because that either dont get evaluated, or dont get evaluated fairly, or accurately.

There is also a problem with scouts, coaches. Either there is not enough scouts, coaches to scout, evaluate UNDER THE RADAR kids, OR they dont, cant do a thorough enough job, Or they are not good enough at assessing, evaluating talent.

And because of those reasons, a lot of kids that SHOULD be rated 4, 5 stars, get rated 3 stars instead, and sometimes even get get rated 2 stars, 1 star, no stars, NR.

Next there are enough good coaches that like Leach have such a good system, and DEVELOP kids so well, that can take 3 stars, (whether they are SHOULD BE 4, 5 stars who are 3 stars, or even SHOULD BE 3 stars who are 3 stars), and TURN them 3 stars into 4, 5 star, ready to be drafted talent.

Because of these things, anything 3 stars or higher, and stars doesnt matter, Coaching, Scouting, Recruiting, Talent Assessment, DEVELOPMENT, system, etc, matters MORE then stars that dont matter, when 3 stars or more.

And that is why Leach wins. Because Leach recruits 3 stars extremely well. Develops 3 stars really well. Coaches, scouts 3 star talent to assess whether its 4,5 star talent really well. And has a good system, and makes 3 stars ready to be drafted.

And Andre Dillard is a great example of that.

And thats why stars, recruit rankings, recruiting class rankings dont matter when recruits, recruiting classes are 3 stars or higher like with Leach

TLDR Summary:

Why Recruit, Recruiting class, star rankings dont matter.

What me, others have been saying all along.

3 stars had 11 players in draft, more then 4, 5 stars.

What does this mean?

It means a seemingly contradictive that stars, both do, and dont matter.

Stars matter because almost no 2 stars, and no, no stars, in draft.

Stars dont matter because more 3 stars, then 4,5 stars in draft.

So what does that mean?

It means there is a demarcation line, where anything under that line Stars Matter, and anything over that line, Stars dont matter.

And that line is 3 stars.

Any under 3 stars like lowest ended 3 stars, 2 stars, no stars, NR, show stars matter, because any under 3 stars typically dont do as well as higher stars.

Anything over 3 stars, like highest ended 3 stars, 4 stars, 5 stars show that Stars dont matter, because more 3 stars drafted then
4,5 stars.

And why are more 3 stars drafted then 4,5 stars?

Because talent wise, there isnt that big of a difference between 3 stars, and 4,5 stars. Highest ended 3 stars are ALMOST the same talent wise as 4 stars, 5 stars.

The only difference, and why some 3 stars are not 4, 5 stars, is that some 3 stars go UNDER THE RADAR, and because that either dont get evaluated, or dont get evaluated fairly, or accurately.

There is also a problem with scouts, coaches. Either there is not enough scouts, coaches to scout, evaluate UNDER THE RADAR kids, OR they dont, cant do a thorough enough job, Or they are not good enough at assessing, evaluating talent.

And because of those reasons, a lot of kids that SHOULD be rated 4, 5 stars, get rated 3 stars instead, and sometimes even get get rated 2 stars, 1 star, no stars, NR.

Next there are enough good coaches that like Leach have such a good system, and DEVELOP kids so well, that can take 3 stars, (whether they are SHOULD BE 4, 5 stars who are 3 stars, or even SHOULD BE 3 stars who are 3 stars), and TURN them 3 stars into 4, 5 star, ready to be drafted talent.

Because of these things, anything 3 stars or higher, and stars doesnt matter, Coaching, Scouting, Recruiting, Talent Assessment, DEVELOPMENT, system, etc, matters MORE then stars that dont matter, when 3 stars or more.

And that is why Leach wins. Because Leach recruits 3 stars extremely well. Develops 3 stars really well. Coaches, scouts 3 star talent to assess whether its 4,5 star talent really well. And has a good system, and makes 3 stars ready to be drafted.

And Andre Dillard is a great example of that.

And thats why stars, recruit rankings, recruiting class rankings dont matter when recruits, recruiting classes are 3 stars or higher like with Leach

TLDR Summary:

Why Recruit, Recruiting class, star rankings dont matter.

What me, others have been saying all along.
Yes they do matter—there are typically around 400 4-and 5-star recruits, compared to 1300 3 star and 1900 2 star recruits. The fact that over half of 1st rounders are 4-5 stars despite being a very small proportion of rated players says you’re wrong.

Reactions: SDCoug
Yes they do matter—there are typically around 400 4-and 5-star recruits, compared to 1300 3 star and 1900 2 star recruits. The fact that over half of 1st rounders are 4-5 stars despite being a very small proportion of rated players says you’re wrong.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was going to say the same thing but it would have taken me almost as may paragraphs as Mik.

Stars, 4,5 stars do matter WHEN its against LOWEST ENDED 3 STARS, 2 stars.

Since you obviously didnt read, understand whole post:

BUT AGAINST HIGHEST ENDED 3 STARS, STARS, 4, 5 STARS DONT MATTER

THE DEMARCATION LINE IS 3 STARS

THERE WERE, ARE MORE 3 STARS AT 11 3 STARS IN THE 1ST ROUND OF NFL DRAFT THEN 4 STARS(ONLY 4,5), 5 STARS(ONLY 4,5)

BECAUSE OF THAT AND THE LOGIC, FACTS I EXPLAINED ABOVE, 4,5 STARS DONT MATTER COMPARED TO 3 STARS

BUT SINCE THERE ARE MORE 4, 5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT THEN 2,1,0 STARS, THEN BECAUSE OF THAT, LOGIC, FACTS EXPLAINED, 4,5 STARS DO MATTER COMPARED, AGAINST LOWEST ENDED 3 STARS, 2 STARS, NR, ETC.

SO MY FACTS ARE FACTS, RIGHT. I AM BEING LOGICAL. ITS A FACT THAT MORE 3 STARS THEN 4,5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT.

YOU ARE UNFACTUAL.

YOU ARE ILLOGICAL.

GO READ THE LINKED ARTICLE THAT SAID THERE WAS 11 3 STARS MORE THEN THE 4,5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT.

CAPS ADDED TO TRY TO OVERCOME EXTREMELY BAD READING COMPREHENSION WITH HIGHLIGHT EMPHASIS SO CAN BE SEEN, READ, UNDERSTOOD

CAPS ADDED TO TRY TO OVERCOME EXTREMELY BAD READING COMPREHENSION WITH HIGHLIGHT EMPHASIS SO CAN BE SEEN, READ, UNDERSTOOD

Don't call out people for reading comprehension until you can communicate effectively. Not to mention editing responsibly.

THERE WERE, ARE MORE 3 STARS AT 11 3 STARS IN THE 1ST ROUND OF NFL DRAFT THEN 4 STARS(ONLY 4,5), 5 STARS(ONLY 4,5)

BECAUSE OF THAT AND THE LOGIC, FACTS I EXPLAINED ABOVE, 4,5 STARS DONT MATTER COMPARED TO 3 STARS

BUT SINCE THERE ARE MORE 4, 5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT THEN 2,1,0 STARS, THEN BECAUSE OF THAT, LOGIC, FACTS EXPLAINED, 4,5 STARS DO MATTER COMPARED, AGAINST LOWEST ENDED 3 STARS, 2 STARS, NR, ETC.

SO MY FACTS ARE FACTS, RIGHT. I AM BEING LOGICAL. ITS A FACT THAT MORE 3 STARS THEN 4,5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT.

YOU ARE UNFACTUAL.

YOU ARE ILLOGICAL.

GO READ THE LINKED ARTICLE THAT SAID THERE WAS 11 3 STARS MORE THEN THE 4,5 STARS IN 1ST ROUND OF DRAFT.

I will assume you never had the privilege of taking any statistics courses at WSU. So I will try to first simplify this for you: The higher your star ranking the higher the PROBABILITY you will get drafted in the first round.

What you wrote about "facts" and "logic" does not contradict this at all.

To explain further, as others have pointed out, you are not considering the differences in population sizes. The raw numbers of 3 stars drafted don't matter. You need to look at the proportions: Divide the number of 3 stars that were drafted by the WHOLE population of 3 stars. Then compare that to the proportion of 4 stars drafted/population of 4 stars. You will find that you are wrong when you say that: "4,5 stars don't matter compared to 3 stars".

Maybe another example will help:, Say you have a city that had 10,000 burglaries per year and another city that had only 1,000 burglaries. Using your so called "logic" of only looking at raw number totals, you would probably choose to live in the second city if you are worried about being burglarized. But, what if the first city had a population of 1 million and the 2nd city had a population of 10k? You would only have a 1% chance of being burglarized in the first city but a 10% chance of being burglarized in the second (assuming other factors are equal). Make sense now?

YOU ARE UNFACTUAL.

YOU ARE ILLOGICAL.

You clearly don't understand probability, and how 4 and 5 star players are drafted at a rate higher than their proportion of the total evaluated players. But then again, you're the guy that kept spouting off about how Notre Dame's schedule was weak because they didn't play any D1 games in spite of the Googles right at your fingertips.

Stars absolutely DO matter. 3-star kids are highly rated prospects, and most of the elites in the NFL and D1 ball are 3-star and higher.

You clearly don't understand probability, and how 4 and 5 star players are drafted at a rate higher than their proportion of the total evaluated players. But then again, you're the guy that kept spouting off about how Notre Dame's schedule was weak because they didn't play any D1 games in spite of the Googles right at your fingertips.

When are you guys going to put him on ignore? The only bad thing about the ignore button is that from my perspective (not seeing his posts), it makes you guys look like the crazy man walking down the street yelling at strangers.

Reactions: SDCoug
I will assume you never had the privilege of taking any statistics courses at WSU. So I will try to first simplify this for you: The higher your star ranking the higher the PROBABILITY you will get drafted in the first round.

What you wrote about "facts" and "logic" does not contradict this at all.

To explain further, as others have pointed out, you are not considering the differences in population sizes. The raw numbers of 3 stars drafted don't matter. You need to look at the proportions: Divide the number of 3 stars that were drafted by the WHOLE population of 3 stars. Then compare that to the proportion of 4 stars drafted/population of 4 stars. You will find that you are wrong when you say that: "4,5 stars don't matter compared to 3 stars".

Maybe another example will help:, Say you have a city that had 10,000 burglaries per year and another city that had only 1,000 burglaries. Using your so called "logic" of only looking at raw number totals, you would probably choose to live in the second city if you are worried about being burglarized. But, what if the first city had a population of 1 million and the 2nd city had a population of 10k? You would only have a 1% chance of being burglarized in the first city but a 10% chance of being burglarized in the second (assuming other factors are equal). Make sense now?

Hated Stats 215? I think that was the frickin course number. The prof I should say TA was horrible . Wish you were around to teach the class it would have made a ton of sense to me

When are you guys going to put him on ignore? The only bad thing about the ignore button is that from my perspective (not seeing his posts), it makes you guys look like the crazy man walking down the street yelling at strangers.
Not really a fan of it...I can read something and toss it out if it's nonsense. In Mikalalas's case, I'm probably wasting my time, but maybe some common sense will rub off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT