ADVERTISEMENT

Story: WSU Board of Regents set to approve new baseball clubhouse Friday

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Total cost of the new clubhouse is $10 million. Most of the price tag will be paid with private donations.

Story: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/...ents-set-to-vote-on-baseball-clubhouse-friday

image_handler.aspx

Don't know how "Set" they are when I read a regent (grad student but still regent) tweeting this kind of thing.

A total waste of money in my opinion. The money should go elsewhere. WSU should not take on new dept to basically pay for a dying sport

A total waste of money in my opinion. The money should go elsewhere. WSU should not take on new dept to basically pay for a dying sport

Baseball deserves it. The money raised has been earmarked for this project coming from old Coug players. They didn't pledge their own money to give to Ernie Kent.

Reactions: random soul

Just spent 10 minutes trying to find the "unlike" button.

IMO, dropping college baseball at WSU would be a crying shame!

Oregon State has won three national championships since 2007.

With first-class facilities, no reason Cougar Baseball can't enjoy success, too.

Total cost of the new clubhouse is $10 million. Most of the price tag will be paid with private donations.

Story: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/...ents-set-to-vote-on-baseball-clubhouse-friday

image_handler.aspx

The big takeaway here is that "only" $4 million is in hand, and another $2.5 million needs to be in hand by August for construction to start. While the various reports and actual meeting documents, which I have read, imply that the remaining $3.5 million covered by the loan represents additional pledges, that is not by any means a fact. If it was a fact, why not just internally cover the rest rather than incur the stated $100 grand to pay for debt issuance costs?

Point being that the previous and original reports were that all $10 million had been raised. Instead, Athletics is going another $3.5 million in debt. Earth shattering? Well no. But worth noting.

What people are not counting are the recurring costs of running this facility .It will not run itself. The maintenance ,staffing,electricity heating cooling costs,etc will be a drag on the annual budget, It is an inconvenient truth which the 200 baseball fans want to ignore. They also want to ignore the abysmal record of the baseball team.The regents should reconsider their decision and be given more information.It is a total waste of money pored down a red ink hole.

Yes, we should spend it on buying out EK, the dying coach and program...

Just spent 10 minutes trying to find the "unlike" button.

IMO, dropping college baseball at WSU would be a crying shame!

Oregon State has won three national championships since 2007.

With first-class facilities, no reason Cougar Baseball can't enjoy success, too.

Jeebus! Let’s not talk about dropping freakin’ sports.

To maintain our P12 status we have to offer a certain number of intercollegiate sports, not just club teams. There has to be a certain balance between men’s and women’s sports, in terms of total schollies offered, etc.

We are currently at the minimum number of total intercollegiate sports offered to maintain our standing as a P12 member, IIRC.

If we were to drop baseball, we would have to add something equivalent.

Personally, I’m not for that AT ALL. As much as I’d love to see WSU with a men’s soccer team, I love baseball as well. And I’m part of the Bobo generation, who loved to see Coug baseball having consistent success.

Let’s work to raise our level, not to tear things down.

What people are not counting are the recurring costs of running this facility .It will not run itself. The maintenance ,staffing,electricity heating cooling costs,etc will be a drag on the annual budget, It is an inconvenient truth which the 200 baseball fans want to ignore. They also want to ignore the abysmal record of the baseball team.The regents should reconsider their decision and be given more information.It is a total waste of money pored down a red ink hole.

If WSU had that attitude in 2010 about football, where would we be now?

I've been at that field more times than I can count. Been on/in every part of that facility. While it isn't crap, it isn't the best thing I've seen in the world. They need it. I'm for this.

Regarding maintenance, that goes to the design. From what you've seen ElC, what maintenance, staffing, electrical, heating, cooling, etc. costs will be increased? I want specifics, now. You have to actually SHOW me the differences.

Because I don't buy it. I think you make sweeping generalities. I think any costs like that will be nominal. If our athletic budget is literally going to crash because we have an extra 2000 square feet of carpet that needs to be vacuumed, we should pack our bags, fire CML and see if we could enter the Ivy Leagues because sports shouldn't be our thing.

I've been at that field more times than I can count. Been on/in every part of that facility. While it isn't crap, it isn't the best thing I've seen in the world. They need it. I'm for this.

Regarding maintenance, that goes to the design. From what you've seen ElC, what maintenance, staffing, electrical, heating, cooling, etc. costs will be increased? I want specifics, now. You have to actually SHOW me the differences.

Because I don't buy it. I think you make sweeping generalities. I think any costs like that will be nominal. If our athletic budget is literally going to crash because we have an extra 2000 square feet of carpet that needs to be vacuumed, we should pack our bags, fire CML and see if we could enter the Ivy Leagues because sports shouldn't be our thing.

Well there will be operating costs. Heat, lights, custodial. Although one (not me) could argue that most of those will be offset by savings from the vacated Bohler offices. etc.

Interesting - the Student Regent voted no on this project, because of the increased debt load. And in the article I read, the conversation implied that the funds to pay back the $3.5 million loan have NOT been pledged.

You know ElC, a few threads back you threw out BS attendance figures. It was 100. No, 469, in 2017. I looked it up and it was 900+. Now you say 200. If you are going to make an argument, at least be factual. In 2018 (link below for FACTS), we averaged 894 fans at home. 982 in Pac-12 games.

https://wsucougars.com/documents/2018/2/17/2018_WSU_Overall_Stats.pdf

Well there will be operating costs. Heat, lights, custodial. Although one (not me) could argue that most of those will be offset by savings from the vacated Bohler offices. etc.

Interesting - the Student Regent voted no on this project, because of the increased debt load. And in the article I read, the conversation implied that the funds to pay back the $3.5 million loan have NOT been pledged.

You know ElC, a few threads back you threw out BS attendance figures. It was 100. No, 469, in 2017. I looked it up and it was 900+. Now you say 200. If you are going to make an argument, at least be factual. In 2018 (link below for FACTS), we averaged 894 fans at home. 982 in Pac-12 games.

https://wsucougars.com/documents/2018/2/17/2018_WSU_Overall_Stats.pdf
Well sure there will be additional costs. But like I said, they'll be nominal. A vacuum every day or every other day isn't, or should I say SHOULDN'T, kill a budget. Nor should a fresh coat of paint every other year or 3. A drop in the bucket of the total Athletic budget.

Let's be clear on the size of this facility. The biggest room is the locker room. It's 1,800 square feet. Now let's double that (assumption on my part) for the offices, classroom space, meeting room, etc. 3,600 square feet. So for those that need more perspective, that's roughly a space that is 65' by 65'. There are HOMES that are bigger. Not mansions but comfortable homes. The "expense" for heating and electric is equivalent to a HOME.

So no... I don't see this as a massive burden on the Athletic budget. That's a great "catch all" when talking about massive facilities. The football luxury seats? yup. The FOB? OK. An expanded Beasley? Sure, depending on what they might build. But a facility less than 4,000 square feet? Pulease. ElC just likes to bitch and moan about baseball.

Well sure there will be additional costs. But like I said, they'll be nominal. A vacuum every day or every other day isn't, or should I say SHOULDN'T, kill a budget. Nor should a fresh coat of paint every other year or 3. A drop in the bucket of the total Athletic budget.

Let's be clear on the size of this facility. The biggest room is the locker room. It's 1,800 square feet. Now let's double that (assumption on my part) for the offices, classroom space, meeting room, etc. 3,600 square feet. So for those that need more perspective, that's roughly a space that is 65' by 65'. There are HOMES that are bigger. Not mansions but comfortable homes. The "expense" for heating and electric is equivalent to a HOME.

So no... I don't see this as a massive burden on the Athletic budget. That's a great "catch all" when talking about massive facilities. The football luxury seats? yup. The FOB? OK. An expanded Beasley? Sure, depending on what they might build. But a facility less than 4,000 square feet? Pulease. ElC just likes to bitch and moan about baseball.

Really? I had not noticed. :rolleyes:

Wasn't me complaining about the operating costs. All I was saying is that there would be some. My one bitch about this thing (aside from the $3.5 million loan and the fuzzy pledges behind it) is that the IPF/bubble is right behind the stadium. Will it duplicate locker rooms, etc? I get that walking from Bohler is a jaunt. But from the IPF location? not so much. But whatever. Wonder if the stands themselves will be improved. Will there be a luxury section (aka booze)? A party deck would be kind of cool.

Really? I had not noticed. :rolleyes:

Wasn't me complaining about the operating costs. All I was saying is that there would be some. My one bitch about this thing (aside from the $3.5 million loan and the fuzzy pledges behind it) is that the IPF/bubble is right behind the stadium. Will it duplicate locker rooms, etc? I get that walking from Bohler is a jaunt. But from the IPF location? not so much. But whatever. Wonder if the stands themselves will be improved. Will there be a luxury section (aka booze)? A party deck would be kind of cool.
I haven't heard anything like that those kinds of improvements. It's basically a building behind the stands. The stands aren't that bad, anyways. From the looks of it, they'll be putting something overhead to shield from rain/snow/sun... That's all I've seen. Otherwise, just a building that's basically internal stuff for the program, and a "Hall of Fame" area.
EDIT: Honestly, pretty bare bones but updated and looks good.

It’s privately funded. We’d literally have to give the money back. EC is either out of his mind, or dumb.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything like that those kinds of improvements. It's basically a building behind the stands. The stands aren't that bad, anyways. From the looks of it, they'll be putting something overhead to shield from rain/snow/sun... That's all I've seen. Otherwise, just a building that's basically internal stuff for the program, and a "Hall of Fame" area.
EDIT: Honestly, pretty bare bones but updated and looks good.

Now how big is this thing? I see 3,200 feet below, plus everything in red. For $10 million, if it's 10,000 square feet that's $1,000/square foot! Must be some other significant improvements. I'll go snoop around when I get home.

The clubhouse will feature a 1,800 square-foot locker room, pitching lab, academic area, team meeting room, coaches offices and areas for Cougar equipment and training. Additionally, the facility will feature a 1,400 square-foot heritage hall.

Now how big is this thing? I see 3,200 feet below, plus everything in red. For $10 million, if it's 10,000 square feet that's $1,000/square foot! Must be some other significant improvements. I'll go snoop around when I get home.

The clubhouse will feature a 1,800 square-foot locker room, pitching lab, academic area, team meeting room, coaches offices and areas for Cougar equipment and training. Additionally, the facility will feature a 1,400 square-foot heritage hall.
Last I heard, the hall of fame portion was outside. I know they've gone through several renderings so I might be wrong, now that I look at the CAF "Back to Omaha" site. That's where I was getting that number, so you might be right.

Still, when you look at all the stuff in red that you've outlined, I'll give you another 1500 square feet. So total, 4,500...? Even stretch it to 5,000? For reference, that's roughly the size of a basketball court (4,700) which is 94'x50'. Not the stands or anything. Just the playing surface.

Not the biggest facility, which was my only point to ElC. The "maintenance" isn't going to rock the budget.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT