ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestions wanted

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
I have 2 framed jerseys in my basement
Olerud and Bledsoe
I have a Great Wall for 3 more. 1 would obviously be Klay.
What are some suggestions for the other 2?

I like the coach idea. Bobo seems the obvious choice to me.

How about a woman for the other? Sarah Silvernail?

Olerud and Bledsoe

Spread them out and add maybe a great picture of each sports stadium in the middle?

Olerud and Bledsoe

Great idea k-k!

Here’s a deserving CouGreat for sure (plus an XC jersey would look really cool alongside ones from football, basketball and baseball)!

Henry Rono
WSU track and cross country All-American in the late 70s

HenryRonoWSUXC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 79COUG and M-I-Coug
Utley, Bender, Long, Gleason, Dillard, Minshew, custom made CougEd for sure.

I would put Leaf up there long before Minshew. Minshew was a one hit wonder.

I would lean heavily into Leon. Great story. I would think Mike Price because he broke down a long time barrier.

Great idea k-k!

Here’s a deserving CouGreat for sure (plus an XC jersey would look really cool alongside ones from football, basketball and baseball)!

Henry Rono
WSU track and cross country All-American in the late 70s

HenryRonoWSUXC.jpg
Greatest WSU athlete of all time.

Rono possibly wins multiple Olympic gold medals if not for Kenya’s boycotts in 1976 and ‘80

Steve Pudokis

Steve Gleason

Leon Bender

Ruben Mayes

Bobo Brayton

Lone Star

George Ravelling

2008 Apple Cup / fuskies 2008 season

I wouldn’t mind a Marks jersey. Came over under leach as our first 4 star. Represented everything you want in a player. Tough, hard working, even keeled player. Made clutch play after play after play. Was unapologetic for being himself. Really enjoyed that guy.

Gleason or Utley for inspiration. Minshew or Leaf for single season moments. If you want to go for Lifetime Achievement in Sports, there's Bernard Lagat.

I think you should be picking jerseys that have relevance to you.....that evoke memories and emotions for you. Some of the suggestions are great, but if you have no direct tie, I don't think its going to mean much to you when you have them up on the wall. Mel Hein is obviously a great choice in terms of his accomplishments, but for me, a Mel Hein jersey has zero personal connection.

Bledsoe and Olerud are great choices. Thompson is the obvious "duh" choice. For me, Will Derting would be one. He was one of the great WSU linebackers before injuries ended his career and he came from the same part of rural Washington I did. I have great memories of Hanson's games when I was in college. Steve Broussard was at WSU my freshman year so I'd consider him.

If someone was at WSU in the mid 2000's, I could see going after a Jerome Harrison jersey. Gleason is an obviously good choice.

Minshew vs Leaf is an interesting discussion. Minshew was clearly the better "person" while they were in college, but Rose Bowl trumps Alamo Bowl every day of the week and twice on Saturday. I'd pick a Leaf jersey if I was focusing on their impact on WSU.

Utley is a good idea but predates my time at WSU. I'll say that other than a Brayton jersey.....I wouldn't consider any other coach. Football and Basketball coaches don't wear jerseys, so making up a fake one just seems weird to me.....but that's just my opinion on that.

So.....getting back to where I started, it seems to me that you should think about the players who were most influential in your own time at WSU first or that otherwise evoke memories for you personally as a Coug.

Reactions: kougkurt
Surprised some of the old time greats haven't been mentioned in Keith Millard or Erik Howard--a couple of stalwarts in the NFL for many years. Also Mark Fields--baddest mofo LB the Cougs have ever put on the field.

LOL, Chugs. For those of you from greater Spokaloo/I90 corridor and old enough to remember, that also brings back memories of the Ratskeller Inn.

Reactions: taf88
LOL, Chugs. For those of you from greater Spokaloo/I90 corridor and old enough to remember, that also brings back memories of the Ratskeller Inn.
Which has now been converted to a church. I’m sure you can still smell stale beer in the pews.

A Will Derting game-worn Holiday Bowl jersey complete with sweat stains, dried blood and dirt from the turf in San Diego.
If there was ever a jersey that personified a player, it would be that one.

Good suggestion. If possible, I'd put a Derting Holiday Bowl jersey side by side with a Basler Holiday Bowl jersey. Derting should have received a toughness award. Basler gave the single greatest punting exhibition I'm ever likely to see.

Reactions: 79COUG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT