ADVERTISEMENT

Survey: 80% of major college football schools sell alcohol in public areas of stadiums

for your consumption, from Michigan regent Paul Brown:

"One of the things that makes us unique is a collegiate atmosphere," Brown said last month as the board approved applying for liquor licenses at the school's football, basketball and hockey venues. "It is different than the pro sports that always serve alcohol. I think that difference is one thing that creates value for our institution. And so, I don't want to destroy that value."

Yup, gotta keep the collegiate atmosphere with the NIL and portal and billion dollar TV contracts...

How long until colleges are peddling CGB gummies and Purple Drank from the concession stands?

You guys need to get this fixed. Even the AF Academy sells beer at all concessions and they even have a beer garden. UNLV pretty much sells beer at most sporting events. Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, Men's and Women's basketball, Baseball, etc... all sell beer and even have special $2 beer days. The T&M, home to UNLV Men's basketball, even has full service cocktail bars. Hell, they even have a special area seating with cocktail waitresses. And, all these venues are on campus. lol

Reactions: kougkurt and Coug90
You guys need to get this fixed. Even the AF Academy sells beer at all concessions and they even have a beer garden. UNLV pretty much sells beer at most sporting events. Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, Men's and Women's basketball, Baseball, etc... all sell beer and even have special $2 beer days. The T&M, home to UNLV Men's basketball, even has full service cocktail bars. Hell, they even have a special area seating with cocktail waitresses. And, all these venues are on campus. lol
Yes, but...Vegas.

I've heard for a long time that the issue is from the Spokane enforcement office of the Liquor Control Board. But, near as I can tell you can have beer at Spokane Indians games, and looks like you can have it in lounge areas at hockey games. So I'm not sure that blaming LCB computes.

Supposedly, 4-5 years ago WSU was really close to setting up beer and wine sales, but they'd forgotten to run the plan by the LCB so they pretty much got shut down. It's not hard to imagine an agency like that holding a grudge and just being difficult because they can. But I'm also not convinced that there's ever been any real motivation from WSU to pursue it.

I mean, really...if the university can't even figure out how to bring some ice cream across the street, how are they ever going to manage beer sales?

“You guys”. Everyone one here this is a no brainer. It’s mind numbingly stupid. With our revenue challenges we should have been the first school in the conference selling alcohol in the stadium.

“You guys”. Everyone one here this is a no brainer. It’s mind numbingly stupid. With our revenue challenges we should have been the first school in the conference selling alcohol in the stadium.
I assume there is some kind of design problem that makes a beer garden in the stadium difficult. Beer on the practice field is no problem.

Well...with our revenue challenges combined with our well documented capacity for consumption.

With a little forward thinking, we could have built a nice little alcohol-fueled NIL piggy bank.

Reactions: Coug90
I assume there is some kind of design problem that makes a beer garden in the stadium difficult. Beer on the practice field is no problem.
Shit, build a brick wall somewhere if needed. It will get paid off in one home game! Does not make sense! Only thing I can think of is they wanted to save the novelty for the premium suites once that was done to drive revenue there. If that was it, mission accomplished now let everyone else drink!

A few years ago I flew to Denver to meet my buddy and watch his kid play hoops against the U of Denver. My buddy’s kid played for NDSU. Anyway, it was great to be sitting court side sipping whiskey and cokes. A very enjoyable game.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Just an update on the AF beer garden. I was at Falcon Stadium for the UNLV @ AF game on Saturday. AF has upped their beer garden selections. They are now selling various alcohol selections such as a Moscow Mule in a can. They even changed from selling a Pikes Peak Brewing Elephant Rock IPA(which was good) to a New Belgium Juicy Haze IPA which is so smooth even at 7%abv with none of that IPA bitterness. I'm sure they sold a lot of those even at $9 a can. I've never been much of an IPA fan but New Belgium has this Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA that is so smooth that I always keep that on hand. AF must make a ton of money off those beverage selections.

Reactions: Coug90
Shit, build a brick wall somewhere if needed. It will get paid off in one home game! Does not make sense! Only thing I can think of is they wanted to save the novelty for the premium suites once that was done to drive revenue there. If that was it, mission accomplished now let everyone else drink!
It's probably sufficient open space and bathroom access.

Allright, I've probably told this story on this site a half dozen times. Back in the early 80's when students (me) could get in for free you could bring anything in as long as it wasn't glass. So we brought in a 5 gallon gas can full of spodie ody. I'll stop there so as not to bore anyone to tears.

Allright, I've probably told this story on this site a half dozen times. Back in the early 80's when students (me) could get in for free you could bring anything in as long as it wasn't glass. So we brought in a 5 gallon gas can full of spodie ody. I'll stop there so as not to bore anyone to tears.
2 gallons of hot buttered rum made with several 5ths of Bacardi 151 here in ‘73. It was snowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT