ADVERTISEMENT

Tay Martin = Transfer Portal

.....I'll support her 100%....well except UW, because to hell with that.
My daughter has a couple of cousins who either went to uw or are your typical bandwagon fans. Luckily after visiting both uw and WSU and taking tours she chose WSU because "The people are MUCH more friendly and it feels more like 'college'".

I breathed a heavy sigh of relief...

I can never forgive Odessa for stealing Harrington away from Sprague.
The story is that the people of Harrington felt their kids weren't being giving a fair shake when it came to playing time at Odessa so they banded together and chose to switch affiliations. Odessa then went on to win the last 2 B8 football state titles and one in basketball.

Ah, the drama of life in Lincoln County...

My daughter is still planning on Wazzu, but she has already applied to KU and Wichita State and been accepted. We are going to wait to see what kind of scholarships that WSU gives her before she makes a decision.

She can attend Wichita State without borrowing any money but they don't have ChemE. KU has a very solid ChemE program with one of the best labs in the country but she'd rather be a Coug than a Jayhawk.

My in-laws that are K-State fans have poisoned the well for her with their political leanings and she won't even consider the local land grant college.

Hope those that are above talking about their kids see them have a change of heart, but at the same time, if my daughter decides to go a different direction.....I'll support her 100%....well except UW, because to hell with that.

Sorry to break it to you, but don't expect your daughter to get any free financial aid money from WSU for academics. My daughter, a Berkeley grad, also applied to WSU, and got only loans. So it was a no brainer for us, she went to Berkeley. This is someone who got, 2200+ on the SATs (old scoring, 1500 current), the maximum allowable AP classes for GPA calculation purposes, and her lowest grade was an A-. Even Berkeley gave her $9000 in merit scholarship money, but WSU a big fat zero.

Sorry to break it to you, but don't expect your daughter to get any free financial aid money from WSU for academics. My daughter, a Berkeley grad, also applied to WSU, and got only loans. So it was a no brainer for us, she went to Berkeley. This is someone who got, 2200+ on the SATs (old scoring, 1500 current), the maximum allowable AP classes for GPA calculation purposes, and her lowest grade was an A-. Even Berkeley gave her $9000 in merit scholarship money, but WSU a big fat zero.
There is money out there, but you really have to dig under the rocks if you do not fall into certain demographics. Merit scholarships are super subjective, might as well play the lottery in many cases.

Most of my daughters is coming from FAFSA and some nice scholarships she got. Plus being from a rural area, small town, agricultural and going into a science related field, there were a lot of grants available. But as Bleed said, you really have spend a lot of time digging it up.

Remember Flat's daughter would be out-of state. Not a ton of scholarship money for the "not from here" students without an industry bent, particularly those with parents who can pay full boat. I just didn't want him to get his hopes up on WSU and the availability of academic scholarship money. WSU's endowment is small, and goes to deserving in-state underprivileged kids, I assume. Berkeley's endowment is nearly 5 Billion, WSU's is a 10th of that.

Remember Flat's daughter would be out-of state. Not a ton of scholarship money for the "not from here" students without an industry bent, particularly those with parents who can pay full boat. I just didn't want him to get his hopes up on WSU and the availability of academic scholarship money. WSU's endowment is small, and goes to deserving in-state underprivileged kids, I assume. Berkeley's endowment is nearly 5 Billion, WSU's is a 10th of that.

As far as I can tell, it's even worse (Berkeley's endowment appears to be at least $13 billion, with WSU's reported as a bit over $500m).

When you search on Google for "WSU endowment," the numbers that come back -- without sourcing or links -- are $1.07 billion for WSU and a little over $5b for Berkeley.

It's possible Berkeley is including some additional types of funds in its "endowment" that WSU is not.

The story is that the people of Harrington felt their kids weren't being giving a fair shake when it came to playing time at Odessa so they banded together and chose to switch affiliations. Odessa then went on to win the last 2 B8 football state titles and one in basketball.

Ah, the drama of life in Lincoln County...
As I recall, Odessa did just fine on their own...without the Harrington kids.

The co-ops always seemed to lead to the same drama. Washtucna believed Lacrosse was giving them the shaft (they were more right than wrong). Endicott thought St. John was. Prescott thought Waitsburg was. Tekoa-Oakesdale had the same thing, but I don't remember which way.

As I recall, Odessa did just fine on their own...without the Harrington kids.

The co-ops always seemed to lead to the same drama. Washtucna believed Lacrosse was giving them the shaft (they were more right than wrong). Endicott thought St. John was. Prescott thought Waitsburg was. Tekoa-Oakesdale had the same thing, but I don't remember which way.
Still going on today. Almira-Coulee-Hartline doesn't have too many problems though...because no one actually LIVES in Almira or Hartline.

As far as I can tell, it's even worse (Berkeley's endowment appears to be at least $13 billion, with WSU's reported as a bit over $500m).

When you search on Google for "WSU endowment," the numbers that come back -- without sourcing or links -- are $1.07 billion for WSU and a little over $5b for Berkeley.

It's possible Berkeley is including some additional types of funds in its "endowment" that WSU is not.

The 13 billion you note is UC wide "UCOP." I just did a quick search on line, I could be wrong. The WSU Foundation you link indicates WSUs endowment is a touch over 500 million, what source does the billion you indicate come from? The point is WSU isn't rolling in dough. Stanford at 26.5 billion, that's rolling in dough. Assuming a 5% annual return, that still is 1.3 billion or 74,800 dollars per enrollee per year. That is why you never have to ask can I afford Stanford. If you can't they pay full boat.

Where did you go to school 95?
If I revealed that, it’d be pretty easy to figure out exactly who I am. I like to sustain the mystery.
I was in the 8-man ranks. We did OK for a couple years. Wanted our shot at Odessa, but never got it. A-C-H hadn’t risen yet, I think Almira was still with Wilson Creek at the time.

If I revealed that, it’d be pretty easy to figure out exactly who I am. I like to sustain the mystery.
I was in the 8-man ranks. We did OK for a couple years. Wanted our shot at Odessa, but never got it. A-C-H hadn’t risen yet, I think Almira was still with Wilson Creek at the time.
You're old...like me. Lol.

She's already been told that she'll be given a WUE scholarship at $11,000 per year, but all that does is bring out-of-state tuition down to "close" to in-state tuition. There are two more scholarships that she is hoping for from WSU. She knows that there's a good chance that it will be a big fat zero outside of the WUE one.

For her, she's a three year letter winner in cross country, two years in track (thanks COVID), NHS, valedictorian (so far), class vice president, class treasurer earlier year, decent ACT score (over 30 but wanted to take it again.....so again, thanks COVID), has worked at an outside job while juggling athletics and academics. If they don't reinstate cross country this fall, I've been working with her to start a local runner's club and she'll be able to say she did that. She wants to be in either Civil Engineering or Chemical Engineering and being a female, I'm hoping that gives her opportunities for scholarships there.

We'll see what happens. I told her that while I love WSU and want her to go there, it's not worth borrowing $40k to attend WSU when she can go to Wichita State without borrowing any money or borrow $15k to attend KU. A Wazzu diploma isn't worth $25k-40k extra.

She's already been told that she'll be given a WUE scholarship at $11,000 per year, but all that does is bring out-of-state tuition down to "close" to in-state tuition. There are two more scholarships that she is hoping for from WSU. She knows that there's a good chance that it will be a big fat zero outside of the WUE one.

For her, she's a three year letter winner in cross country, two years in track (thanks COVID), NHS, valedictorian (so far), class vice president, class treasurer earlier year, decent ACT score (over 30 but wanted to take it again.....so again, thanks COVID), has worked at an outside job while juggling athletics and academics. If they don't reinstate cross country this fall, I've been working with her to start a local runner's club and she'll be able to say she did that. She wants to be in either Civil Engineering or Chemical Engineering and being a female, I'm hoping that gives her opportunities for scholarships there.

We'll see what happens. I told her that while I love WSU and want her to go there, it's not worth borrowing $40k to attend WSU when she can go to Wichita State without borrowing any money or borrow $15k to attend KU. A Wazzu diploma isn't worth $25k-40k extra.

Give her an atta girl for me. She deserves it. Sound's like your daughter channeled mine. Mine lettered 4 years in swimming, won her league 3 times in the 500, twice in the 200, Made it to CIF 3 years, finalist in 7 events, class treasurer, but not valedictorian, nor did she work. I wanted her to study engineering at UCSD, but she wanted to go to Cal, and wasn't enthused with engineering.

As a father of 5, with kids having graduated from UCLA, Cal, UC Santa Cruz and one attending Cal Poly, just make sure she is ready emotionally for the reality that the real hard work and effort hasn't begun. My UCLA grad was older, essentially married, and had worked after high school, so she was mature. My UC Santa Cruz grad barely applied himself in high school, relying on his 790 on the SAT Math subject test brain. Santa Cruz was the first time in his life he was challenged, and he thrived, taking extra credits most semesters, doing the extra reading for "fun." My Cal all-star was "spent" by her high school effort getting in, which she didn't realize until the night before her first assignment was due, the studying "drudge" tarnished her entire college experience. That hurts me big time. She needed a gap year, which she flatly refused to take, but now admits was a mistake.

Just make an effort to let your daughter know the battle begins when she sets foot on campus, it doesn't end when she gets her high school pat on the back at graduation. Hopefully, she is more self aware than my bright, but head strong daughter, and is chomping at the bit to take "weeder" chem, physics and calculus simultaneously. If not, there is nothing like a years maturity and/or a crappy dead end job for a year to rekindle the fire.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Give her an atta girl for me. She deserves it. Sound's like your daughter channeled mine. Mine lettered 4 years in swimming, won her league 3 times in the 500, twice in the 200, Made it to CIF 3 years, finalist in 7 events, class treasurer, but not valedictorian, nor did she work. I wanted her to study engineering at UCSD, but she wanted to go to Cal, and wasn't enthused with engineering.

As a father of 5, with kids having graduated from UCLA, Cal, UC Santa Cruz and one attending Cal Poly, just make sure she is ready emotionally for the reality that the real hard work and effort hasn't begun. My UCLA grad was older, essentially married, and had worked after high school, so she was mature. My UC Santa Cruz grad barely applied himself in high school, relying on his 790 on the SAT Math subject test brain. Santa Cruz was the first time in his life he was challenged, and he thrived, taking extra credits most semesters, doing the extra reading for "fun." My Cal all-star was "spent" by her high school effort getting in, which she didn't realize until the night before her first assignment was due, the studying "drudge" tarnished her entire college experience. That hurts me big time. She needed a gap year, which she flatly refused to take, but now admits was a mistake.

Just make an effort to let your daughter know the battle begins when she sets foot on campus, it doesn't end when she gets her high school pat on the back at graduation. Hopefully, she is more self aware than my bright, but head strong daughter, and is chomping at the bit to take "weeder" chem, physics and calculus simultaneously. If not, there is nothing like a years maturity and/or a crappy dead end job for a year to rekindle the fire.

She got the opportunity to see her brother struggle and almost wash out of Aerospace Engineering at Wichita State. Fortunately for him, he was able to build some better habits and has done a lot better the last couple years.

Reactions: 79COUG
1*MR3EYVlwM3_ReD-bV8uavA.png

Reactions: 79COUG and FnuLnu
As probably the young gun on this board, this all hits home.

College is a different animal, and even the simplest of classes can be draining, due to the demand of every day experience. Can't imagine trying to go through college with COVID-related issues, either.

It's amazing how much it is to go to college anymore. IIRC, WSU was the most expensive of the four PNW schools tuition-wise when I was there.

Congrats to everyone's kids as they're taking their next step!

Reactions: 79COUG and kougkurt
You can't tease that without giving the rest of the list... judgements must be made!!
Okay....here is our daughter's short list:

1. Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA (visiting in November).
2. Southeastern University, Lakeland, FL (visited back in Feb. 2020)
3. Washington State (official campus tours were cancelled due to COVID).
4. Montana State, Bozeman

Bozeman is hard to beat.
I've heard this from others. She actually has been accepted to MSU, although we've not had a visit, (yet). Financially, it would be the same as WSU, regarding tutiion, which is ideal. Never thought my daughter would go out of state, private, and do that to her parents. Your thoughts or experience with Montana State?

She got the opportunity to see her brother struggle and almost wash out of Aerospace Engineering at Wichita State. Fortunately for him, he was able to build some better habits and has done a lot better the last couple years.

I really wasn't talking about "washing out." My daughter did relatively well at Cal, because she basically forced herself to do the work (the good habits she had that got her there), but she tended to she college life as a chore and a drudge, not an exciting new chapter. She was too focused to out achieving her friends and classmates and getting to the biggest name university, that she ignored the fact that college is where she really should have that ambition. 8 straight years of constant ambition is a very long time without a break.

In the simplest term, I would suggest that you ask your daughter whether she needs a break to recharge her ambition batteries. And if she did, you are are fine with it. My head strong daughter scoffed at the notion, only to admit years later that it would have been a good idea.

My mother was English, the A-level curriculum is intense, for that reason English kids traditionally take a gap year. So I took advantage of it. So when I entered WSU, a year older and a year wiser, I was ready to kick arse and take names, all the while having the best time of my life. Hell, I could go out and drink in Moscow from day one, and did (drink age of 19). But, the vast major of my Orton floor mates, just saw WSU as the fifth year of high school, and it showed academically.

I really wasn't talking about "washing out." My daughter did relatively well at Cal, because she basically forced herself to do the work (the good habits she had that got her there), but she tended to she college life as a chore and a drudge, not an exciting new chapter. She was too focused to out achieving her friends and classmates and getting to the biggest name university, that she ignored the fact that college is where she really should have that ambition. 8 straight years of constant ambition is a very long time without a break.

In the simplest term, I would suggest that you ask your daughter whether she needs a break to recharge her ambition batteries. And if she did, you are are fine with it. My head strong daughter scoffed at the notion, only to admit years later that it would have been a good idea.

My mother was English, the A-level curriculum is intense, for that reason English kids traditionally take a gap year. So I took advantage of it. So when I entered WSU, a year older and a year wiser, I was ready to kick arse and take names, all the while having the best time of my life. Hell, I could go out and drink in Moscow from day one, and did (drink age of 19). But, the vast major of my Orton floor mates, just saw WSU as the fifth year of high school, and it showed academically.
We could've been at Orton around the same time frame!

Good points and it's always good to hear the perspective of others.

My biggest concern for my daughter is that she's put in a lot of hard work to be valedictorian of her class to this point (along with like 7 other people) and that the slightest mistake could derail that. With all of the other stress in the world today, that could feel like the final straw to a 17 year old kid. We've talked about that and the fact that outside of scholarships and entry into the most elite colleges, your standing in your high school class is completely irrelevant in the real world. Frankly, as soon as you receive your first job offer out of college, your performance in college is relatively meaningless.

So, we encourage her to do well and to strive for success, but with the understanding that academics alone isn't the measure of a person.

On the notion of a gap year, it really depends on the person and what they are looking for. I ended up accidentally taking a gap year and I think it worked out great for me in terms of maturity and social interactions but it was a distinct negative for me when it came to academics. FWIW, I lived in Orton in 89-90 and I have to admit that gap year or not, I partied and goofed around a lot more than I should have.

Orton 81-82 school year for me, had a blast and pulled straight As. It the party hard Friday/Saturday, but in the library 6-11pm Sunday through Thursday.

Sounds like your well on top of the achievement/ambition two edge sword. Keep in mind this fall that the major advantage for my daughter going to a "name" school like Cal is that it opens doors that a WSU etc. degree does not. She's now working as a technical recruiter for a major tech company, completely out of her field, but her Berkeley degree in urban planning is the sole reason she got interviewed for the job, and her boss said as much.

Orton 81-82 school year for me, had a blast and pulled straight As. It the party hard Friday/Saturday, but in the library 6-11pm Sunday through Thursday.

Sounds like your well on top of the achievement/ambition two edge sword. Keep in mind this fall that the major advantage for my daughter going to a "name" school like Cal is that it opens doors that a WSU etc. degree does not. She's now working as a technical recruiter for a major tech company, completely out of her field, but her Berkeley degree in urban planning is the sole reason she got interviewed for the job, and her boss said as much.

That's my one concern with WSU. It's remote location limits the ability for students to be involved with companies during the school year. My son has had several different internships at Wichita State and he's virtually guaranteed a job at one of those organizations when he gets done or with someone that he's met through networking at those internships. When I graduated from WSU, my only job opportunity was with the WSDOT.....and it wasn't a permanent position.

Ambition... yup. It matters, but sometimes you don't know what's down the road as far as that goes.

I think I've shared that I went back and finished up my UG degree in 2012. It was fun and I really enjoyed it, but I was barely full time (12 credits, not the 15 most kids take... but I was working my 50+ hour a week job as well, so...) and by the time my last semester came around I literally told my class groups (its all about collaborative learning now... every fcking glass is group work; I could go on, but I won't) "my give a shit meter is right above empty, so while I promise you I'll do my share and help us to the finish line, my effort at times might be lacking."

Reactions: dgibbons
That's my one concern with WSU. It's remote location limits the ability for students to be involved with companies during the school year. My son has had several different internships at Wichita State and he's virtually guaranteed a job at one of those organizations when he gets done or with someone that he's met through networking at those internships. When I graduated from WSU, my only job opportunity was with the WSDOT.....and it wasn't a permanent position.

I was a Poli Sci major, so my options were basically limited to retail management, law school or grad school. If your daughter plans to stay in Kansas, KU is a great fit. In Kansas, I'm sure KU opens doors WSU wouldn't (and visa-versa in Washington). That is unless her ACT/SAT math scores are off the charts or in the bottom quarter of would be KU engineering students. I was told by a professor at UCSD that students should avoid engineering programs that are not commensurate with their math abilities. Whether that is true, as a lowly Poli Sci major, I have no idea personally.

Last edited:
Ambition... yup. It matters, but sometimes you don't know what's down the road as far as that goes.

I think I've shared that I went back and finished up my UG degree in 2012. It was fun and I really enjoyed it, but I was barely full time (12 credits, not the 15 most kids take... but I was working my 50+ hour a week job as well, so...) and by the time my last semester came around I literally told my class groups (its all about collaborative learning now... every fcking glass is group work; I could go on, but I won't) "my give a shit meter is right above empty, so while I promise you I'll do my share and help us to the finish line, my effort at times might be lacking."

Good for you, getting back in the saddle is damn hard, even if you were running on fumes by the end. While working full time, that's crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT