ADVERTISEMENT

The 5 most overrated teams in the preseason top 25

CPtheCoug

Head Coach
Jan 16, 2014
WSU at #3... This guy makes a stupid point before following that up with a reasonable point. A little click-baity.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ms-in-the-2019-preseason-coaches-poll-top-25/

"This team has to replace so much production on both sides of the ball. Leach's offenses have always tended to be plug-and-play, but I worry about the defense. Wazzu's defense has played a major role in winning 20 games the last two seasons, and it loses a few key parts from that unit heading into 2019, including most of its secondary. While most of that was expected, Jalen Thompson's departure at the end of June wasn't. I don't think the Cougars fall off a cliff or anything, but this could be an 8-5 team, and I'm not sure an 8-5 Wazzu finishes the season ranked."

I feel like everything except the secondary is a known quantity. If the back 5 deliver (especially a corner opposite Strong and the 2 new safeties, assuming Thomas stays at nickel), the defense will be better than last year. And if that's the case, this team can win the division

WSU at #3... This guy makes a stupid point before following that up with a reasonable point. A little click-baity.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ms-in-the-2019-preseason-coaches-poll-top-25/

"This team has to replace so much production on both sides of the ball. Leach's offenses have always tended to be plug-and-play, but I worry about the defense. Wazzu's defense has played a major role in winning 20 games the last two seasons, and it loses a few key parts from that unit heading into 2019, including most of its secondary. While most of that was expected, Jalen Thompson's departure at the end of June wasn't. I don't think the Cougars fall off a cliff or anything, but this could be an 8-5 team, and I'm not sure an 8-5 Wazzu finishes the season ranked."
This is true. Unfortunately, WSU is the only team in football that lost production.

This is true. Unfortunately, WSU is the only team in football that lost production.

And WSU did a DAMN GOOD JOB IN WHAT. SHOULD BE REPLACING THAT PRODUCTION, TALENT, EXPERIENCE, with AWESOME JC TRANSFER BEEKMAN, among, and others.

There is a reason why Leach WSU went after, GOT SO MANY SECONDARY, CB, SAFETY, NICKEL, ETC, BOTH HS, TRANSFER RECRUITS, over the last 1,2,3 years, to point where there are a lot of JC, Redshirt Sophmores, True Sophmores, Redshirt Freshmen, True Junior's, etc, to the point where the only reason why they didnt start, was not because of lack of talent, etc, but rather, instead because of the even more talented starters in front of them.

And the DL, LB's, SHOULD HELP THE SECONDARY AS WELL.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

FWIW, this guy isn't alone in thinking that WSU is going to struggle without Minshew. I've seen at least one other article that thinks that we are over-rated. For me, I think it's great that these guys do that. It gives our coaching staff the ability to play the disrespect card to our players even when we are ranked in the Top 25. And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter any more than that ranking does, because if our players and coaches don't like the negativity.....win games and that goes away.

In my opinion, the next two years will truly define where WSU will be in the next ten years. Leach has already proven that WSU can "reload" with him as coach. The next question is whether he can do that consistently. I feel good about us getting to 8+ wins this year. Next year should be either Cruz or Cooper. If we can win 8+ games with those guys too, the national media will finally be on board that WSU is legitimately a PROGRAM. Of course, until we win the league, there will still be those that look down on the Cougs.

Reactions: mikalalas
How the Cougs do at Utah, Oregon, Stanford, and UW, plus Stanford at home, will determine our success this year, the other road game that concerns me is Cal. 4 tough road games, on the plus side, Cougs have played well on the road under Leach. Other than the UW game, Minshew pulled out a victory with a great play late, against Utah, Stanford and CA, and of course who can forget game day and torching the Ducks. Those 5 games will be the deciding factor. 4-1, 3-2 against those 5 and it's a 11 or 10 win year, anything less and we probably have another loss in the schedule get's us down to 7 or 8 wins. My heart says 11, so I am staying with that, I am hoping our offense rolls all year and our D is a little better.

I'm not worried about our QB play at all. Assuming Gubrud is the starter, we will do very well on offense. Even if it is Gordon, I think he'll do very well.

On the defensive side, I have some concern about the linebacker situation with the loss of Pelluer's experience and leadership, but I think we'll ultimately do just fine there.

This season is going to be challenging with the strength of the Pac 12 (particularly the North), but let's remember that among the toughest opponents we'll face, we've beaten Utah four straight, Oregon four straight, and Furd three straight times. Those teams should be more concerned with us.

I think Utah, ASU, Cal, Oregon, and UW on the road are our 5 most difficult conference games. It's a tough draw, but we should win a couple of them.

How the Cougs do at Utah, Oregon, Stanford, and UW, plus Stanford at home, will determine our success this year, the other road game that concerns me is Cal. 4 tough road games, on the plus side, Cougs have played well on the road under Leach. Other than the UW game, Minshew pulled out a victory with a great play late, against Utah, Stanford and CA, and of course who can forget game day and torching the Ducks. Those 5 games will be the deciding factor. 4-1, 3-2 against those 5 and it's a 11 or 10 win year, anything less and we probably have another loss in the schedule get's us down to 7 or 8 wins. My heart says 11, so I am staying with that, I am hoping our offense rolls all year and our D is a little better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT