ADVERTISEMENT

The clock on Rolo starts now

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
I gave Rolo an unconditional free pass in 2020. COVID wiped out any chance he had to reasonably transition into his job and install his system. Inexperience at QB and the loss of Borghi wiped out any realistic chance consistency. Fast forward to 2021, and things (knock on wood) seem to have aligned themselves very well for the upcoming season.

We've got an experienced transfer QB in the mix set to complete with JDL, incoming freshman XW, and for now, Cooper & Cruz. Both Borghi and McIntosh are back at RB, giving WSU one of the best backfields in the P12 behind an offensive line that returns 4 starters. The WR position is another area that should see a nice bump in 2021 with an already solid returning group and some impressive newcomers. Harris, Calvin, Bell, Bacon, and the guy I'm really high on, Hobert, look to be a handful for most of our opponents.

The defense is still a work in progress, but they *should* have the luxury of playing behind an offense that will put up points and offset their growing pains. Our front 7 could be as deep as it's been in years, and our secondary has depth now to expect that some CBs will emerge.

Looking at the schedule, as it stands today, the expectations for Rolo should be fairly high. BYU is losing not only their star QB, but most of their roster. An incredibly brutal road conference schedule is offset to some degree by some winnable home games. While I don't see an easy schedule by any means, I think the expectation for 7 wins is there. The clock starts now.

This is a list of the currently scheduled games, but the sequence of the games isn't set. I suspect that Utah State and Portland State will begin the season, but BYU is tentatively set to be an October game. The rest of the schedule is up in the air.

Utah State
Portland State
BYU
at Cal
at ASU
Oregon State
USC
at Oregon
at Utah
Stanford
Arizona
at UW

I gave Rolo an unconditional free pass in 2020. COVID wiped out any chance he had to reasonably transition into his job and install his system. Inexperience at QB and the loss of Borghi wiped out any realistic chance consistency. Fast forward to 2021, and things (knock on wood) seem to have aligned themselves very well for the upcoming season.

We've got an experienced transfer QB in the mix set to complete with JDL, incoming freshman XW, and for now, Cooper & Cruz. Both Borghi and McIntosh are back at RB, giving WSU one of the best backfields in the P12 behind an offensive line that returns 4 starters. The WR position is another area that should see a nice bump in 2021 with an already solid returning group and some impressive newcomers. Harris, Calvin, Bell, Bacon, and the guy I'm really high on, Hobert, look to be a handful for most of our opponents.

The defense is still a work in progress, but they *should* have the luxury of playing behind an offense that will put up points and offset their growing pains. Our front 7 could be as deep as it's been in years, and our secondary has depth now to expect that some CBs will emerge.

Looking at the schedule, as it stands today, the expectations for Rolo should be fairly high. BYU is losing not only their star QB, but most of their roster. An incredibly brutal road conference schedule is offset to some degree by some winnable home games. While I don't see an easy schedule by any means, I think the expectation for 7 wins is there. The clock starts now.

This is a list of the currently scheduled games, but the sequence of the games isn't set. I suspect that Utah State and Portland State will begin the season, but BYU is tentatively set to be an October game. The rest of the schedule is up in the air.

Utah State
Portland State
BYU
at Cal
at ASU
Oregon State
USC
at Oregon
at Utah
Stanford
Arizona
at UW

Agree re the O for sure. Not quite as confident with the D but cautiously optimistic with all the returnees they have plus a couple of positive additions.

I'm guessing that the reason for the stop, just stop is:

1. He is joking, poking fun at political threads, post, an or problem posters who post problem threads, post, and dont know when to stop, and need to be told to stop.

An Or

2. He is tired of overreaction to coaches, whether Leach, Rolo, etc.

3. Related to 2 above, he is concerned that if Rolo were to only win 2,3,4, etc, games, that either the OP original poster an or others would overreact, call for Rolo to be fired, etc.

4. Related to points 2, 3 above, he is concerned that if that were to happen, that there would be Paul Wulf like fights between Wulf/Rolo defenders, apologist, and Wulf/Rolo detractors.

5. He thinks that what was posted would lead to Rolo detractors saying Rolo doesnt get a free pass for last season, and Rolo defenders arguing that, and that going on and on.

6. He could be joking about any of the above supposed reasons.

I think Rolo can and will probably win 7,8,9 games, this coming season.

Like has been said, he has:

1. Abe and 3 other Junior/Senior Vet starters on the OL for his QB's, RB's

2. His QB's: A. The favorite to be the starter: The Transfer is 6th in all of Tennessee history with 6000 yards passing, 38 TD's. And his 6000 yards of passing, offense, 38 TD's, is one of the best in SEC, against the SEC defenses, which are the best defenses in the nation. He is a 5 star, that had offers from every Alabama type college. When he hit the Transfer Portal, every P5 was after him. Only reason he was inconsistent was TRASH program, TRASH SYSTEM, TRASH COACH, TRASH COACHING, TRASH O LINE, and despite that he still put up 6000 yards, 38 TD's in his 3,4 years of starting. Roth, official Pac 12 expert, says WSU, Rolo got a awesome one. Its obvious he expects the transfer to be the starter. Its the transfers starting job to lose, an or is the favorite, has the best chance to be the starter. Only way he doesnt become the starter is if: He has been a Pro style QB. So having him run the run and shoot, will be harder, since he will be behind in run and shoot knowledge that the other QB's have. Only other way to not be the starter, would be if one of the other QB's, to come totally unexpected out of nowhere, and do a HERCULEAN performance and TAKE the starter job from the Transfer.

B. There is JDL, Cooper, Cruz, Ward.

So if WSU were to only win 2,3,4 games, it probably wont be the QB's fault. Probably only way itvwould be the QB's fault is IF IF 2,3,4, etc, of the QB's get injured, etc.

3. WSU will have one of the best WR's in the Pac 12.

Harris, Bell, Jamire Calvin, Jackson, Hobert, etc.

4. A NFL RB in Borghi, and Deon

So the offense is awesome, will put up about 33 to 43 points, 33 at lowest on average. And at least 29 vs USC, Oregon, Utah, UW, toughest teams, defenses.

That should be enough if the defense is halfway, semi ok, semi average, semi decent, etc.

The DL has a lot of talent, experience, depth.

LB: has Woods, Travion Brown, Ron Stone, etc.

Secondary Has Jaylen Watson, Hector, Langford, Isom, Chau.

Worst case scenario WSU/Rolo should win at least 5,6, 5.5 games.

If Vegas had this knowledge, they would put the line at 5.5 wins

The ignorant media would say 4.5 wins

The coaches in the Pac 12 would say 6 wins.

The Experts like Roth, would say about 5.5/6,6.5 wins

I say about 5.5 wins at minimum.

I however expect 7,8,9 wins. 7 at likely minimum, 8 at average, 9 at
most

Worst case: 5/6/5.5 games at minimum.

There just isnt any legit reason to only get 2,3,4, wins, unless lose 10 to 20 starters to things like injuries, Covid, etc.

If Rolo wins less then 5,6 games, then while he might probably, shouldnt be fired, etc, should be on the HOT SEAT.

I think Rolo can and will probably win 7,8,9 games, this coming season.

Like has been said, he has:

1. Abe and 3 other Junior/Senior Vet starters on the OL for his QB's, RB's

2. His QB's: A. The favorite to be the starter: The Transfer is 6th in all of Tennessee history with 6000 yards passing, 38 TD's. And his 6000 yards of passing, offense, 38 TD's, is one of the best in SEC, against the SEC defenses, which are the best defenses in the nation. He is a 5 star, that had offers from every Alabama type college. When he hit the Transfer Portal, every P5 was after him. Only reason he was inconsistent was TRASH program, TRASH SYSTEM, TRASH COACH, TRASH COACHING, TRASH O LINE, and despite that he still put up 6000 yards, 38 TD's in his 3,4 years of starting. Roth, official Pac 12 expert, says WSU, Rolo got a awesome one. Its obvious he expects the transfer to be the starter. Its the transfers starting job to lose, an or is the favorite, has the best chance to be the starter. Only way he doesnt become the starter is if: He has been a Pro style QB. So having him run the run and shoot, will be harder, since he will be behind in run and shoot knowledge that the other QB's have. Only other way to not be the starter, would be if one of the other QB's, to come totally unexpected out of nowhere, and do a HERCULEAN performance and TAKE the starter job from the Transfer.

B. There is JDL, Cooper, Cruz, Ward.

So if WSU were to only win 2,3,4 games, it probably wont be the QB's fault. Probably only way itvwould be the QB's fault is IF IF 2,3,4, etc, of the QB's get injured, etc.

3. WSU will have one of the best WR's in the Pac 12.

Harris, Bell, Jamire Calvin, Jackson, Hobert, etc.

4. A NFL RB in Borghi, and Deon

So the offense is awesome, will put up about 33 to 43 points, 33 at lowest on average. And at least 29 vs USC, Oregon, Utah, UW, toughest teams, defenses.

That should be enough if the defense is halfway, semi ok, semi average, semi decent, etc.

The DL has a lot of talent, experience, depth.

LB: has Woods, Travion Brown, Ron Stone, etc.

Secondary Has Jaylen Watson, Hector, Langford, Isom, Chau.

Worst case scenario WSU/Rolo should win at least 5,6, 5.5 games.

If Vegas had this knowledge, they would put the line at 5.5 wins

The ignorant media would say 4.5 wins

The coaches in the Pac 12 would say 6 wins.

The Experts like Roth, would say about 5.5/6,6.5 wins

I say about 5.5 wins at minimum.

I however expect 7,8,9 wins. 7 at likely minimum, 8 at average, 9 at
most

Worst case: 5/6/5.5 games at minimum.

There just isnt any legit reason to only get 2,3,4, wins, unless lose 10 to 20 starters to things like injuries, Covid, etc.

If Rolo wins less then 5,6 games, then while he might probably, shouldnt be fired, etc, should be on the HOT SEAT.

Fired? With what money?

Stop what? Looking ahead to next season?

The title of the post could be construed as bit a hostile. Just sayin.

There are still enough open questions it's tough to discuss expectations, IMO. Borghi and Lucas coming back is obviously important, and the starters and key backups on O should be settled except for QB. No idea on defense. Will there be a normal-ish spring ball (given that they played a shortened season, I don't see why not)? Who transfers, both in and out? I'd like to hear something about the second half meltdowns from the coaching staff. Some kind of acknowledgement I guess, even if it's just cliches and nonsense about finishing or whatever. I personally think 7 home games is awesome. I bet we find a way not to have all 7 though (body bag road game).

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

There are still enough open questions it's tough to discuss expectations, IMO. Borghi and Lucas coming back is obviously important, and the starters and key backups on O should be settled except for QB. No idea on defense. Will there be a normal-ish spring ball (given that they played a shortened season, I don't see why not)? Who transfers, both in and out? I'd like to hear something about the second half meltdowns from the coaching staff. Some kind of acknowledgement I guess, even if it's just cliches and nonsense about finishing or whatever. I personally think 7 home games is awesome. I bet we find a way not to have all 7 though (body bag road game).
Maybe it’s way over my head...I’m not getting the hostility. New QB signed, Abe’s back, I don’t see an issue with the thread or the title. Am I missing something?

Maybe it’s way over my head...I’m not getting the hostility. New QB signed, Abe’s back, I don’t see an issue with the thread or the title. Am I missing something?

I can't speak for others. "The clock on Rolo starts now" is pretty close to "The clock is ticking", "Time is running out" or other cliches of imminent demise.

I can't speak for others. "The clock on Rolo starts now" is pretty close to "The clock is ticking", "Time is running out" or other cliches of imminent demise.
I dunno I mean in the big bucks world of CFB the clock is always ticking. Plenty people on here have disagreed with me on stuff including Patrol but I didn’t read anything into it other than extended spring ball is over, you’ve got your horses back, and it’s go time. This shouldn’t be a rebuild, there’s plenty of talent on this roster with the guys coming back.

There is no team on that schedule so loaded with talent and coaching that WSU shouldnt be able to score points. Vets all over the offense is a great recipe for a young/new QB. 28 points per game should not be difficult, maybe even 35.

It’s time to coach these kids up and get them jacked up in the weight room.

Fired? With what money?

I didnt say he should be fired.

But if Rolo only wins 2,3,4 wins, he should be ON THE HOT SEAT, or at least his seat should start to get warm.

Its year 2 coming up. 2,3,4 wins in year 2, would lead to a hot seat in year 3. 3,4,5 wins in year 3, would lead to a hotter seat in year 4. 4,5,6 wins or less in year 4, if he got 2,3,4 wins previous years, would be Rolo being fired years 4,5.

Also if Rolo gets 2,3,4 wins in years 2,3, Rolo could be fired in, during, after year 3, whether the money is supposedly not there or not.

Chun will, would not put up with 3 straight years of only 2,3,4 wins, and would fire him, Rolo at that point, if that happened.

Rolo will not get fired, in, during, after, for year 2, almost no matter what happens.

Your misrepresenting me, others.

No one is saying Rolo should be fired, or would be fired, during, after, for this year.

Saying he would be on hot seat IF IF IF he only won 2,3,4 games, is not saying he would be fired, and is accurate.

Stop misrepresenting.

I dunno I mean in the big bucks world of CFB the clock is always ticking. Plenty people on here have disagreed with me on stuff including Patrol but I didn’t read anything into it other than extended spring ball is over, you’ve got your horses back, and it’s go time. This shouldn’t be a rebuild, there’s plenty of talent on this roster with the guys coming back.

Absent NCAA violation, felony or other misconduct that would be cause for termination, Rolovich will be the HC through the 2023 season. WSU had a $30 million budget shortfall for 2020.

Reactions: Coug90
Covid has set been a net positive for Rolo heading into 2021. He returns the offense outside of Josh Watson and he has had a year to upgrade the defense with more talent. It's reasonable to expect 8 or more wins with an expectation of nothing less than a bowl game. Not saying Rolo should be on the hot seat if we struggle next year, but it will be troubling to say the least. The cupboard is not bare and he's been able to throw scholarships at the rosters weaknesses.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Covid has set been a net positive for Rolo heading into 2021. He returns the offense outside of Josh Watson and he has had a year to upgrade the defense with more talent. It's reasonable to expect 8 or more wins with an expectation of nothing less than a bowl game. Not saying Rolo should be on the hot seat if we struggle next year, but it will be troubling to say the least. The cupboard is not bare and he's been able to throw scholarships at the rosters weaknesses.

Have we found out what the NCAA is going to do in regards to letting all these kids come back without losing a year of eligibility?

I've heard a few things but don't know if they'll shake out.

Have we found out what the NCAA is going to do in regards to letting all these kids come back without losing a year of eligibility?

I've heard a few things but don't know if they'll shake out.

No one used a year of eligibility last season and seniors don't count towards the 85 scholarship limit. Not sure how this will work several years from now but that's how it'll be for now.

I agree with almost all of what your saying.

Where I disagree is that I think that IF IF IF IF Rolo were to only win 1,2,3 games this coming season, his seat would at least start to get warm, if not a hot seat, and that he would probably be on a HOT SEAT for only getting 1,2,3 wins.

But I dont think thats going to be a issue.

I think Rolo/WSU will win 7,8,9 games, with 6 games and a bowl game at the least, minimum.

My worst case scenario line is 5 wins.

IF IF Rolo were to only get 2,3,4 wins, I think his seat SHOULD be HOT, an or at least start to get WARM.

Absent NCAA violation, felony or other misconduct that would be cause for termination, Rolovich will be the HC through the 2023 season. WSU had a $30 million budget shortfall for 2020.
True, but from a coaches perspective you’d probably also like to be getting a contract extension a couple of years in...hence clock is always ticking.

No one used a year of eligibility last season and seniors don't count towards the 85 scholarship limit. Not sure how this will work several years from now but that's how it'll be for now.

Any word on how transfer portal kids figure in? Can you take a kid with 1 year left and how does that count against the scholarship number?

Any word on how transfer portal kids figure in? Can you take a kid with 1 year left and how does that count against the scholarship number?

Kids from the portal count towards the 25 you can take each year. Not sure how they count towards the 85 limit. Would imagine seniors wouldn't count but underclassman would.

I think there are a lot of kids with the talent to make a lot of two deeps who won't get scholarships due to the uncertainty on scholarship math beyond this year. Tyrese Ross being a prime example of a kid with some talent who might not get picked up.

Kids from the portal count towards the 25 you can take each year. Not sure how they count towards the 85 limit. Would imagine seniors wouldn't count but underclassman would.

I think there are a lot of kids with the talent to make a lot of two deeps who won't get scholarships due to the uncertainty on scholarship math beyond this year. Tyrese Ross being a prime example of a kid with some talent who might not get picked up.

Moving forward, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I think I counted 65 kids from CA that signed with PAC 12 schools. That seems very, very low to me. Figure in that the entire West Coast has yet to play and may not play, you have a lot of kids out there without a place to go.

The NCAA, imo, needs to provide direction and hard numbers on what schools can and can't do. Give the coaches a blue print to work with.

You may see tons of kids land in junior colleges this year desperately looking for a path towards scholarship football.

I didnt say he should be fired.

But if Rolo only wins 2,3,4 wins, he should be ON THE HOT SEAT, or at least his seat should start to get warm.

Its year 2 coming up. 2,3,4 wins in year 2, would lead to a hot seat in year 3. 3,4,5 wins in year 3, would lead to a hotter seat in year 4. 4,5,6 wins or less in year 4, if he got 2,3,4 wins previous years, would be Rolo being fired years 4,5.

Also if Rolo gets 2,3,4 wins in years 2,3, Rolo could be fired in, during, after year 3, whether the money is supposedly not there or not.

Chun will, would not put up with 3 straight years of only 2,3,4 wins, and would fire him, Rolo at that point, if that happened.

Rolo will not get fired, in, during, after, for year 2, almost no matter what happens.

Your misrepresenting me, others.

No one is saying Rolo should be fired, or would be fired, during, after, for this year.

Saying he would be on hot seat IF IF IF he only won 2,3,4 games, is not saying he would be fired, and is accurate.

Stop misrepresenting.

Mik you need to have to have the money to buy a seat before it is warm . We can’t even afford a bean bag chair at this point.Rolos seat doesn’t get warm until tear four of his tenure .

Mik you need to have to have the money to buy a seat before it is warm . We can’t even afford a bean bag chair at this point.Rolos seat doesn’t get warm until tear four of his tenure .

If there was ever a coach we couldn't afford to get rid of it was Ernie Kent. Market rate wage for 3 more years. Chun calculated apathy was more expensive than a buy out. If we could sell tickets to Beasley this year, I'm guessing there would be an attendance spike.

Rolo will get time to prove what he can do, but if he craps the bed by going 2-10 next year, he starts to look like someone you should pay to go away.

This.

Standing with your arms crossed and tapping your toe, waiting/ expecting Rolo to produce gold on YOUR timeline seems incredibly entitled.

Whats the old saying? Wish in one hand and **** in the other?

Outside of some offseason miracle we are completely fckd at QB - JLD is at least 1 season away if not more and considering that he got the nod over the kids on the roster speaks volumes. Maybe the kid who xfer'd in will be the guy - maybe not. We're taking 160lb guys at WR again, whatever that means. And honestly, the way the west coast is who knows what spring practice will be like - I suspect more of the same bullshit where they can't actually practice and get all their snaps virtually. I have my doubts about fall camp as well, but time will tell.

In other words - tempering expectations until COVID is completely eradicated (that is Inslees expectation - 25 cases per 100000, or 0.025%) is probably the best course of action, IMHO. But feel free to keep that toe tapping and that clock running, I just suspect you'll be disappointed.

If Rolo goes 2-10, or 3-9, for year 2, year 3 his seat gets warm, hot, year 3.

Then if does that again year 3, he gets fired year 4.

If he wins 5 games year 3, then if he only wins 2,3,4 year 4, his seat gets hot year 5, then gets fired year 5,6.

So his seat could get warm as early as year 3.

If Rolo goes 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 year 2, Rolo's seat gets warm, hot, and then if does that again year 4, gets fired.

Chun as he showed with Kent, has little to no patience, whether thats Kent, or a 2-10 Rolo.

Chun would make Rolo's seat warm in a year 3.

Fans would make Rolo's seat warm during a year 3 for a year 2, 2-10 year.

But this is all a mute, moot point, as Rolo isnt going to win less then 6 games in, during year 2, with the talent he,WSU has.

If Rolo goes 2-10, or 3-9, for year 2, year 3 his seat gets warm, hot, year 3.

Then if does that again year 3, he gets fired year 4.

If he wins 5 games year 3, then if he only wins 2,3,4 year 4, his seat gets hot year 5, then gets fired year 5,6.

So his seat could get warm as early as year 3.

If Rolo goes 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 year 2, Rolo's seat gets warm, hot, and then if does that again year 4, gets fired.

Chun as he showed with Kent, has little to no patience, whether thats Kent, or a 2-10 Rolo.

Chun would make Rolo's seat warm in a year 3.

Fans would make Rolo's seat warm during a year 3 for a year 2, 2-10 year.

But this is all a mute, moot point, as Rolo isnt going to win less then 6 games in, during year 2, with the talent he,WSU has.

After covid where do you think 6 mil is coming from ?

This.

Standing with your arms crossed and tapping your toe, waiting/ expecting Rolo to produce gold on YOUR timeline seems incredibly entitled.

Whats the old saying? Wish in one hand and **** in the other?

Outside of some offseason miracle we are completely fckd at QB - JLD is at least 1 season away if not more and considering that he got the nod over the kids on the roster speaks volumes. Maybe the kid who xfer'd in will be the guy - maybe not. We're taking 160lb guys at WR again, whatever that means. And honestly, the way the west coast is who knows what spring practice will be like - I suspect more of the same bullshit where they can't actually practice and get all their snaps virtually. I have my doubts about fall camp as well, but time will tell.

In other words - tempering expectations until COVID is completely eradicated (that is Inslees expectation - 25 cases per 100000, or 0.025%) is probably the best course of action, IMHO. But feel free to keep that toe tapping and that clock running, I just suspect you'll be disappointed.

I'll take Roth's word, the word of the official Pac 12 Expert, who is a credible expert over your word.

Your full of it, if you think that out of Transfer, Cooper, JDL, Cruz, Ward, there isnt a QB, that can't, won't, don't produce with:

Borghi, a NFL Back, Deon.

Abe a top 10 pick of 1st round of NFL draft Tackle, and 3 other Redshirt Junior/Senior, VET OL.

And Harris a NFL WR, Bell, Jamire Calvin, Jackson, Hobert, etc.

The only thing your semi right about is COVID.

COVID is a unknown Wildcard.

But if Covid repeats last year, then Rolo will get a free pass again, and rightfully so.

But if Covid doesnt repeat last year, then Rolo should win 5,6,7 games minimum, and if he only won 2,3,4 instead, his seat would rightly get warm.

Also about Covid, even Far Left Governor of New York, who is just like Inslee, and governors of Oregon, and CA, is opening up the economy even with Covid.

Also there is 2 Vaccines, that have been proven to work

Also out of 20 million cases, there has been a 2% mortality rate of 400k dead out of 20 million cases.

And College football players mortality rate would be a hell lot better then 2% mortality rate.

While your semi right that this spring football period, may also have problems.

If that happens, they will move spring ball from march/April, to May/June, rest July, then start Fall Camp in August, Sept.

And if there is problems with Fall Camp, they will move fall camp to Sept Oct, and start the season Oct/Nov

Covid wont be as bad as last year as far as canceled games, etc.

Your likely full of it.

Last edited:
FOR ILLOGICAL NEGA COUG ABOVE TO BE RIGHT, here is what would have to happen:

1. Covid would have to be as bad: Cancelations, 40 not playing in a game, etc. Not bloody likely.

2. Spring, Fall Camp would have to be canceled. Not bloodly likely

3. At least 3,4,5 OL get injured, not play

Combined with

Both Borghi, Deon out most of year

Not bloody likely to have that happen again

Combine with:

Harris and or 2,3,4 WR out, injured, etc.

All that combined not bloodly likely.

It was unlikely last year, making it even more unlikely this year, since it happened last year.

And if it does happen

Then another free pass

Doesn't mean the clock isn't ticking. This team should be bowling next year, minimum.

I hope Rolovich makes me look like a fool and wins 10-games each season.

Reactions: mikalalas

Utah State
Portland State
BYU
at Cal
at ASU
Oregon State
USC
at Oregon
at Utah
Stanford
Arizona
at UW

I agree with the notion that we should be looking at 2021 as a season with opportunity. We will be favored against Utah State and PSU. We have no reason to fear OSU, Cal, or Arizona. We'll have a puncher's chance against ASU, BYU and Stanford.

There is no reason to think that we should expect to beat USC, Oregon, Utah or UW based on what we've seen recently but you never say never. So, if we beat Utah St and PSU, get 2 out of 3 against OSU/Cal/UA, get 1 out of 3 against ASU/BYU/Stanford, that puts us at 5 wins. I think that is the floor "expectation" for 2021 and if we get to that, nobody should complain. In terms of opportunity, I do think that 7 wins is very possible.

I agree with others that the clock has a lot of unwinding before we really think too much about it.

I will say that as the season went on, I lost a lot of my love for JDL. I was excited after the OSU game, but watching the next few games, I couldn't help but think that he lacks the arm that we need to be successful. I hope I'm wrong, but I was underwhelmed by what I saw. If he wins the job in 2021, I hope his mechanics are improved.

Not mentioned above (at least I didn't see it) is the fact that we probably did not have more than about half of the play book available for either O or D during our 2020 Exhibition season. I expect to have most of what Rolo knows how to do available this fall. That is a big deal. I also expect a couple of noncon games to start the season. That is ALSO a big deal. Finally, as a couple of you noted, we have been able to add folks to potentially help cover some of the gaps that we had. All in all, we will be competitive. I think it will come down to how well we close, because I expect a lot games to be close...I would not be surprised if half the league games were decided by one score.

Good Lord people. Let me clarify my "clock" comment for those of you hypersensitive folks out there.

When Leach departed WSU and we hired Rolo, I thought it was a great move by Chun, and I still do. Prior to the 2020 season, I said that I thought we'd struggle to win even 1-2 games given the challenges that Rolo had with regard to the shutdowns, and I cautioned everyone that it should be viewed as a throwaway year. That Rolo shouldn't be scrutinized.

As we move into the 2021 season, the clock DOES start on Rolo. All P5 coaches face a succeed or else scenario. This year, we head into Spring camp with a complete offensive roster. I don't expect perfection from Rolo, as I don't expect perfection from WSU, but it's time to see what our new coach can do. I think he's going to do well, but we'll see. ie: the clock is now ticking on his tenure.

Please let me know if more clarification is needed on my original comment. Snowflakes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: earldacoug
Good Lord people. Let me clarify my "clock" comment for those of you hypersensitive folks out there.

When Leach departed WSU and we hired Rolo, I thought it was a great move by Chun, and I still do. Prior to the 2020 season, I said that I thought we'd struggle to win even 1-2 games given the challenges that Rolo had with regard to the shutdowns, and I cautioned everyone that it should be viewed as a throwaway year. That Rolo shouldn't be scrutinized.

As we move into the 2021 season, the clock DOES start on Rolo. All P5 coaches face a succeed or else scenario. This year, we head into Spring camp with a complete offensive roster. I don't expect perfection from Rolo, as I don't expect perfection from WSU, but it's time to see what our new coach can do. I think he's going to do well, but we'll see. ie: the clock is now ticking on his tenure.

Please let me know if more clarification is needed on my original comment. Snowflakes. :rolleyes:
Im curious how you were able to type with a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in the other...

So what you're saying is that you're pointing out the obvious?

If there was ever a coach we couldn't afford to get rid of it was Ernie Kent. Market rate wage for 3 more years. Chun calculated apathy was more expensive than a buy out. If we could sell tickets to Beasley this year, I'm guessing there would be an attendance spike.

Rolo will get time to prove what he can do, but if he craps the bed by going 2-10 next year, he starts to look like someone you should pay to go away.

You tell me where the dollars come from I will agree with you. And Kent was let go during a very good football run. You cant buy something if you flat out dont have the money.

You tell me where the dollars come from I will agree with you. And Kent was let go during a very good football run. You cant buy something if you flat out dont have the money.

How much revenue can you afford to lose as a result of a bad football team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT