ADVERTISEMENT

The growth of our program, criticism, Air Raid, and other things...

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
First, I must say I get a chuckle out of some posters saying the problem with our program in the past is that some of our fans have patience and have no expectations; and now those same posters are the most sensitive when there are expectations. Guess what, that is part of the program. People aren't saying fire so and so because they are 9-4, but they have every right to voice an opinion when we just got blown out for the third time, and for two consecutive games. Coaches get fired for calling the wrong defense on a third down play and coaches are criticized for not winning by 30 plus. Fans can only control one thing ...their mouths. So this is what happens in big boy football.

Did Leach make Falk play? In a strange way yes. No, he did not say "Luke you need to suck it up and play". For those who didn't know, check out the glove Luke wore all of 2016. He had a busted pinky and that is why he played with a glove. How did Leach "make" Falk play? It is in the DNA of players Leach recruits. The one's who he recruits and stay in the program are the one's who are typically mentally tough. The one's he sees as not Wyoming Cowboy tough are sent packing. Niu Sale for one comes to mind.

Just because Mike Holgrem ran a two back west coast office, it doesn't mean it was Bill Walsh's execution of the offense. Each coach has a good majority of the same packages, but how the offense is executed and called are very different. In the six years Leach has been here, and the numerous trips to the red zone, has he once run a deception play? Last night Lincoln Riley ran a double reverse pass to Mayfield. Has Leach run anything close to that?

What makes Leach great and others is that they have a belief system and don't deviate far from that system. Doesn't mean there aren't things that can't be added. But when Ditka changed his offense in Chicago from an I formation team to the west coast offense he was like a fish out of water.

Leach's philosophy MAY get in the way of beating the likes of UW in a rival game. Go to the next play, one play at a time. It is almost an accountant attitude in the game of football. Maybe they need to be unleashed for that game.

Also Leach has a fundamental belief, and it may come off as stubborn or arrogance. It is why he doesn't do what Riley did last night, it is why he continues to pass pass pass. It is either arrogance (not saying it is a horrible thing) that he believes in his system and his play calling that he doesn't make some adjustments. Or it is stubbornness? In either case he in a micro view of one game it is frustrating, in the macro view he won 9 games again.

I have heard probably 50 times the swing pass and the screen pass are run plays. No they are not. They net in yardage is the same amount, but it does not stress the defense. They know the line is not pulling, they are not trapping, and they know the back is getting the ball in his hands from the qb 8 times. They also know the QB is not going to stress the defense with his legs.

Dave Wyman said it best. The linebackers are not challenged or stress. They know they have one duty, to go back in their zones. In my opinion we have to learn to make the linebackers and secondary more honest in their reads, instead of the being right 90% of the time in terms of what they need to call on defense.

Finally, I would never judge a book by its cover. Yeah Leach is a prickly guy but in no way does that make him not a good guy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT