ADVERTISEMENT

The North next year could be real interesting.

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
So since it is the beginning of the off season I started looking at next year and obviously the first thing I wanted to look at was the current two deeps of teams and who is coming back next year.

Here are some of the more interesting developments for 2019.

1. Stanford may be in seriously trouble. I’ve talked about how Stanford this year was a very heavy senior laden team and looking at their two deep you can see a lot of players leaving.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/stanford/91901

Tons of guys leaving due to graduation. but an even bigger blow may be the people who are also declaring early for the draft from Stanford and surprisingly there are quite a few.

Arcega-Whiteside (starting WR)
Kaden Smith RS Soph (starting TE)
Nate Herbig JR (starting OG)

Have all declared for the draft.

Meaning 14 of their starting 22 are gone.

About 20 of their two deep including special teams are leaving so Stanford may be taking a massive hit. I honestly will be surprised if they make a bowl game next year given their schedule.

Notre Dame, Northwestern, And UCF are their OOC next year. Given that kind of schedule they very well could be 0-3 in OOC.

In the 9 other games they play

In Pullman (probably a loss) 0-4
@ USC - USC is still USC and probably will be better on offense with Kingsbury.

And still have to play Oregon, Cal, UW, UCLA etc.

It will not shock me if they lose 7 games making them 5-7 next year and missing a bowl game.

So I think it is pretty safe to say that Stanford is not a real threat to win the North next year.

So what about the Mutts?

Similar story to Stanford, but with Eason as heir apparent at QB they won’t be hurting as bad as Stanford but they too probably will take a step back.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/washington/92453

As you can see the Mutts are losing a whole lot.

13 of their starting 22 are leaving including JR Taylor Rapp who has declared for the NFL.

Gaskin may be the most significant loss, and in the two deep just a couple are leaving to be 15 of 44 players. So about 1/3 of their two deep mostly in starters. Significant but not as bad as Stanford losing almost half.

How they do really depends on if their defense can keep performing and season, but more than likely it will be a step back year. Probably an 8 win year with maybe a 9th win if Petersen can make it Redbox, Chez-it (you know his bowl level) and squeak a 9th win.

Cal / Oregon State - both of these lose some guys but also have quite a bit coming back. They will be better but maybe not by much and will be the trap teams for next year getting teams that don’t take them seriously.

Cal may sneak up and bite a few teams as well as Oregon State. Definitely teams like UW/Stanford may be vulnerable to them. This also includes us who have to go on the road and play Cal. Fortunately we get Oregon State in Pullman but still we can’t underestimate either of these teams.

One will make a bowl - Cal more than likely
But don’t be surprised if Oregon State squeaks to a 6 win season like we did in year 2 with Leach.

So that leaves Oregon. Oregon has a lot of players returning including Herbert, and is the major threat to win the conference. We also play them in eugene so everything is lining up for them next year, but it will be interesting to see if they go the route of Stanford or UW this past year and under perform with a senior heavy team. I don’t think they make the playoffs, but they seem to be the major division title contender... at least on paper.

And finally there is us. We have lots of people returning including a vast majority of our skill players and many on defense as well.

The major question is at QB for us and fortunately we have one of the best in the business in developing QBs as our HC.

So really I see us and Oregon as the major contenders in the North next year.

We play @ Oregon in October in the middle of the seasons, and that game more than likely will be the cross roads game for the North next year. If we win I like our chances. If they win we may never hear the end of how “Oregon is back”.

I look forward to crushing their dreams and beating them for the 5th year in a row.

Good review. I agree that Oregon is one of those teams that many times underperforms. After watching Herbert all season, I still don't see how he could be considered a top 5 NFL pick THIS year. He may blow up next season and finally reach his hype, but the Ducks schedule is more challenging in 2019 (Stanford and UW on the road...Auburn in OOC) and they'll need to replace the one WR (Mitchell, who declared for the draft) who Herbert could depend on this year.

I'm always leary of writing off Stanford. They do return the 2nd team all-conference QB and as we've seen over the years, teams with good QB play are dangerous. UW will be UW, good but not great, IMO. Cal will be better but need to find a QB. OSU is a ways off. WSU? Again, if the QB position can be above average (I doubt it can match Minshew Magic) and we stay healthy, we'll be in the thick of the race.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Cougatron
Good review. I agree that Oregon is one of those teams that many times underperforms. After watching Herbert all season, I still don't see how he could be considered a top 5 NFL pick THIS year. He may blow up next season and finally reach his hype, but the Ducks schedule is more challenging in 2019 (Stanford and UW on the road...Auburn in OOC) and they'll need to replace the one WR (Mitchell, who declared for the draft) who Herbert could depend on this year.

I'm always leary of writing off Stanford. They do return the 2nd team all-conference QB and as we've seen over the years, teams with good QB play are dangerous. UW will be UW, good but not great, IMO. Cal will be better but need to find a QB. OSU is a ways off. WSU? Again, if the QB position can be above average (I doubt it can match Minshew Magic) and we stay healthy, we'll be in the thick of the race.

Glad Cougar

I may have to make my first trek to Eugene for the Oregon game this year. It could be epic.

After watching Herbert all season, I still don't see how he could be considered a top 5 NFL pick THIS year.
Because he checks a lot of what the NFL is looking for in a QB along with this year being a down year for QB's in the draft. QB's always are drafted higher because by far it is the most important position.

Now, yes he was inconsistent. But, he has NFL size, has a great arm and can move. You are drafting based on projection, not on what he is today. So yeah, I could have seen him being a top five pick if he came out this year.

Because he checks a lot of what the NFL is looking for in a QB along with this year being a down year for QB's in the draft. QB's always are drafted higher because by far it is the most important position.

Now, yes he was inconsistent. But, he has NFL size, has a great arm and can move. You are drafting based on projection, not on what he is today. So yeah, I could have seen him being a top five pick if he came out this year.

Knight: “Justin, yes you can be a top 10 pick this year. If you come back for one more year, I’ll see to it that you’ll get a Nike contract that will dwarf your NFL contract. What do you say Justin? Can I count on you for one more year?”

Knight: “Justin, yes you can be a top 10 pick this year. If you come back for one more year, I’ll see to it that you’ll get a Nike contract that will dwarf your NFL contract. What do you say Justin? Can I count on you for one more year?”
Good point. He takes a pay cut by going to the NFL.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar

Normally, such an interaction would be the stuff of death penalties, but not in the Phil Knight U universe.

Reactions: metprof
Thanks, Tron. One of your better summaries.

I think Stanford will be better than expected. Not because of returning players; you correctly point out that they are light in that area. Truly a rebuilding year. But you rebuild quicker with smart people, and Shaw does have smart people with which to work, so I see them winning one OOC game (Northwestern? UCF?) and 6 overall. Maybe 7 if they get lucky and hit some other team when that team is down...such as a Kelly team with an injured starting QB.

I am waiting to see if Cal can put together a competent offense. That is the biggest single question for me in the PAC. If so, I see them as being better than Stanford and OSU, and almost on a par with UO, UW and WSU. Probably will beat either USC or UCLA. That remains to be seen, but Cal appears to me to be the dark horse for the entire league (not just the north).

If everything that I said above turns out to be correct, the north will overall crush the south. I'm thinking 5 bowl teams from the north this year (I assume both Stanford and Cal will make it). Again, if that is correct, then the numbers suggest that there will probably only be 3 bowl teams from the south, and maybe only 2 if they fare poorly in OOC games.

Reactions: Cougatron
Thanks, Tron. One of your better summaries.

I think Stanford will be better than expected. Not because of returning players; you correctly point out that they are light in that area. Truly a rebuilding year. But you rebuild quicker with smart people, and Shaw does have smart people with which to work, so I see them winning one OOC game (Northwestern? UCF?) and 6 overall. Maybe 7 if they get lucky and hit some other team when that team is down...such as a Kelly team with an injured starting QB.

I am waiting to see if Cal can put together a competent offense. That is the biggest single question for me in the PAC. If so, I see them as being better than Stanford and OSU, and almost on a par with UO, UW and WSU. Probably will beat either USC or UCLA. That remains to be seen, but Cal appears to me to be the dark horse for the entire league (not just the north).

If everything that I said above turns out to be correct, the north will overall crush the south. I'm thinking 5 bowl teams from the north this year (I assume both Stanford and Cal will make it). Again, if that is correct, then the numbers suggest that there will probably only be 3 bowl teams from the south, and maybe only 2 if they fare poorly in OOC games.
Yep Stanford reloads with Juniors and seniors that were down the depth chart as underclassmen. They will be a formidable foe as usual.

Probably a lot of beating up on each other. I’d expect the north champion to have 2+ losses again.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Nice review, Tron, but a few quibbles from me. The uw and Stanford have lots of unused and unproven talent sitting on their benches and two good coaches to work with them. Cal and the Beavs are improving but OSU may not yet be ready to close the gap and become a consistent competitor. Oregon's recruiting, always good, has been off the charts the last couple of years. Remains to be seen if Cristobal is the guy to put it all together. Which brings me to us. Minshew, Dillard and Pelluer seem to me to be our primary losses. CML has stated that this team has been his most coachable one during his coaching career. I attribute this to the leadership of Minshew and Pelluer. That leadership will be the hardest to replace not any purely athletic quality. Of the two, Pelluer is the one loss that has me scratching my balding head. We can replace Minshew and Dillard but Pelluer with his experience and leadership leaving may well be the most difficult adjustment. I see that as the "major question", not the QB spot. Again, thanks for the review.

All good points by everyone. It’s way early a lot can change from here to spring ball and fall camp.

Stanford lists players based on academic standing rather than eligibility, which makes deciphering the depth chart challenging.

So since it is the beginning of the off season I started looking at next year and obviously the first thing I wanted to look at was the current two deeps of teams and who is coming back next year.

Here are some of the more interesting developments for 2019.

1. Stanford may be in seriously trouble. I’ve talked about how Stanford this year was a very heavy senior laden team and looking at their two deep you can see a lot of players leaving.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/stanford/91901

Tons of guys leaving due to graduation. but an even bigger blow may be the people who are also declaring early for the draft from Stanford and surprisingly there are quite a few.

Arcega-Whiteside (starting WR)
Kaden Smith RS Soph (starting TE)
Nate Herbig JR (starting OG)

Have all declared for the draft.

Meaning 14 of their starting 22 are gone.

About 20 of their two deep including special teams are leaving so Stanford may be taking a massive hit. I honestly will be surprised if they make a bowl game next year given their schedule.

Notre Dame, Northwestern, And UCF are their OOC next year. Given that kind of schedule they very well could be 0-3 in OOC.

In the 9 other games they play

In Pullman (probably a loss) 0-4
@ USC - USC is still USC and probably will be better on offense with Kingsbury.

And still have to play Oregon, Cal, UW, UCLA etc.

It will not shock me if they lose 7 games making them 5-7 next year and missing a bowl game.

So I think it is pretty safe to say that Stanford is not a real threat to win the North next year.

So what about the Mutts?

Similar story to Stanford, but with Eason as heir apparent at QB they won’t be hurting as bad as Stanford but they too probably will take a step back.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/washington/92453

As you can see the Mutts are losing a whole lot.

13 of their starting 22 are leaving including JR Taylor Rapp who has declared for the NFL.

Gaskin may be the most significant loss, and in the two deep just a couple are leaving to be 15 of 44 players. So about 1/3 of their two deep mostly in starters. Significant but not as bad as Stanford losing almost half.

How they do really depends on if their defense can keep performing and season, but more than likely it will be a step back year. Probably an 8 win year with maybe a 9th win if Petersen can make it Redbox, Chez-it (you know his bowl level) and squeak a 9th win.

Cal / Oregon State - both of these lose some guys but also have quite a bit coming back. They will be better but maybe not by much and will be the trap teams for next year getting teams that don’t take them seriously.

Cal may sneak up and bite a few teams as well as Oregon State. Definitely teams like UW/Stanford may be vulnerable to them. This also includes us who have to go on the road and play Cal. Fortunately we get Oregon State in Pullman but still we can’t underestimate either of these teams.

One will make a bowl - Cal more than likely
But don’t be surprised if Oregon State squeaks to a 6 win season like we did in year 2 with Leach.

So that leaves Oregon. Oregon has a lot of players returning including Herbert, and is the major threat to win the conference. We also play them in eugene so everything is lining up for them next year, but it will be interesting to see if they go the route of Stanford or UW this past year and under perform with a senior heavy team. I don’t think they make the playoffs, but they seem to be the major division title contender... at least on paper.

And finally there is us. We have lots of people returning including a vast majority of our skill players and many on defense as well.

The major question is at QB for us and fortunately we have one of the best in the business in developing QBs as our HC.

So really I see us and Oregon as the major contenders in the North next year.

We play @ Oregon in October in the middle of the seasons, and that game more than likely will be the cross roads game for the North next year. If we win I like our chances. If they win we may never hear the end of how “Oregon is back”.

I look forward to crushing their dreams and beating them for the 5th year in a row.
The beavers still stink and will continue to do so until they get a pac 12 QB, among other things. As far as Oregon goes I don't see why they are getting all the hype, they have more or less the same team coming back which tells me that they will have the same problems coming back as well. their recruiting class is touted as a big reason for their favorite status next season, the last time I checked their list I counted only 2 OL, as we know this is not the recipe for winning long term

Reactions: earldacoug
It’s impossible for me to predict at this point. Stanford will have good lines on both sides of the ball, so I’ll wait before writing them off. UW will likely get better QB play next season, so for me their question are WR playmakers. Will they find some?

The beavers still stink and will continue to do so until they get a pac 12 QB, among other things. As far as Oregon goes I don't see why they are getting all the hype, they have more or less the same team coming back which tells me that they will have the same problems coming back as well. their recruiting class is touted as a big reason for their favorite status next season, the last time I checked their list I counted only 2 OL, as we know this is not the recipe for winning long term

Oregon State's speed on defense was Wulffian. And yes, the Beavs' QB play stunk. And there were three seniors on the OL that have to be replaced.

Smith has plenty of work to do.

It’s impossible for me to predict at this point. Stanford will have good lines on both sides of the ball, so I’ll wait before writing them off. UW will likely get better QB play next season, so for me their question are WR playmakers. Will they find some?

Many mutt fans believed the problem with the offense was Browning's failure to make critical throws, and I somewhat agree with them. Whenever I did watch their games (usually on Pac-12 in 60), quite often Fuller or Baccellia would have separation and the ball would take too long to get there or Browning resorted to yet another sandlot/ratball scramble. Reports are that Eason has a gun, so many mutts believe the passing game will improve, even with the loss of Gaskin at RB. Of course, Browning kept many drives alive with his feet, and Eason isn't as athletic.
All that aside, there still doesn't appear to be another Ross or Pettis at WR on the roster.

Many mutt fans believed the problem with the offense was Browning's failure to make critical throws, and I somewhat agree with them. Whenever I did watch their games (usually on Pac-12 in 60), quite often Fuller or Baccellia would have separation and the ball would take too long to get there or Browning resorted to yet another sandlot/ratball scramble. Reports are that Eason has a gun, so many mutts believe the passing game will improve, even with the loss of Gaskin at RB. Of course, Browning kept many drives alive with his feet, and Eason isn't as athletic.
All that aside, there still doesn't appear to be another Ross or Pettis at WR on the roster.

Or Gaskin on the roster. And they are losing quite a bit on the line so we’ll see how Eason plays under pressure. Because more than likely he’s gonna be.

Eason couldn’t beat out a guy that got shut down by a mediocre Texas defense (which is saying something since the Big 12 doesn’t believe in defense)

I’ll believe Eason walks on water when I see it. They better improve at QB because they will be taking a step back damn near every other position group.

Eason couldn’t beat out a guy that got shut down by a mediocre Texas defense (which is saying something since the Big 12 doesn’t believe in defense)

I’ll believe Eason walks on water when I see it. They better improve at QB because they will be taking a step back damn near every other position group.

Trey Adams is returning, as is Harris at center, so that'll help. Jared Hilbers, while no show stopper, got considerable experience filling in for Adams at LOT. Jaxson Kirkland, a Portland product is someone WSU recruited hard, is back as a 6-7, 315-pound guard, and was lineman of the game in the AC. Even with these guys (and McGary), Browning was on the run a lot this past season. Could be an omen for a less athletic QB such as Eason.

Yeah, Eason had a 55% completion percentage and 6.5 yards per catch in a full year at Georgia. Browning was considerably better his Freshman year. Eason is not a savior and struggled mightily with accuracy, hence his inability to get his job back after returning from injury. UW is a 7-8 win team.... 4th in the North behind WSU, Oregon, Stanford.

Yeah, Eason had a 55% completion percentage and 6.5 yards per catch in a full year at Georgia. Browning was considerably better his Freshman year. Eason is not a savior and struggled mightily with accuracy, hence his inability to get his job back after returning from injury. UW is a 7-8 win team.... 4th in the North behind WSU, Oregon, Stanford.
It may be Eason, but he’s not the only talented QB on roster. I’m not sure why people think he’ll automatically get the job.

It may be Eason, but he’s not the only talented QB on roster. I’m not sure why people think he’ll automatically get the job.

They took Browning out for Haener. I’m not sure you do have better candidates. I’m also not convinced in Chris’s ability to develop QB’s. He’s never developed one, Browning was better developed by his HS coach.

They took Browning out for Haener. I’m not sure you do have better candidates. I’m also not convinced in Chris’s ability to develop QB’s. He’s never developed one, Browning was better developed by his HS coach.
I have plenty of respect for Haener. But the advantage of having been in the system longer won’t be as pronounced by next season.

Maybe Yankoff. I watched Sirmon in HS, he’s Jeff Lindquist. Big looks the part, pretty athletic, but no accuracy. UW has a bunch of 4 stars that are overrated and/or Petey hasn’t been able to develop.

Maybe Yankoff. I watched Sirmon in HS, he’s Jeff Lindquist. Big looks the part, pretty athletic, but no accuracy. UW has a bunch of 4 stars that are overrated and/or Petey hasn’t been able to develop.
Sirmon and Yankoff are freshmen. It’s a little early to draw conclusions about their development.

Sirmon and Yankoff are freshmen. It’s a little early to draw conclusions about their development.

The fact that they didn’t use the redshirt games means that neither were lighting the world on fire in practice. next year is a huge question mark for UW’s QB situation.

I watched him closely in HS. Sirmon isn’t a D-1 caliber player. Extremely inaccurate with a big arm.

#67 in total defense. You’re right they were a downright juggernaut.

How did facing Oklahoma twice, West Virginia, and Oklahoma State factor into their rankings? Texas had a great defense. I don’t care what the stats say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT