COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
1. Favorite all time

2. sleeper pick.

1. Game of Thrones - HBO

2. Peaky Blinders. BBC and Netflix.

Reactions: 79COUG
Good choices. Wouldn't really argue much against either of those.

Also getting votes: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Billions, kick it old school with Sopranos/The Wire, Ray Donovan, dozens of others.

i watch way too much TV.

1. Favorite all time

2. sleeper pick.

1. Game of Thrones - HBO

1. Movie: Erin Brockovich
2. Steaming Series: Breaking Bad
3. Old School TV: Gunsmoke. (Remastered Seasons on DVD). Giving credit to Leach.

Last edited:
1. Better Call Saul
2. Old DVD's:
a) Complete collection of Law & Order.
b) Alias Smith & Jones (campy, but a childhood favorite)

1. Favorite all time

2. sleeper pick.

1. Game of Thrones - HBO

So tough to pick one!

1a. The Wire
1b. Breaking Bad
1c. Better Call Saul

2a. Arrested Development
2b. Family Guy / Simpsons (lot of content there for an extended sports break)

i watch way too much TV.[/QUOTE]

ive gotten you the point that I fear series wi
i watch way too much TV.

I’m to the point that I’m afraid to start watching a series with multiple seasons because I know I’m giving up the next month of my life due to lack of self control.

Reactions: Cougzz
Ironically, Netflix has a recent documentary/docudrama called "Pandemic" that ain't bad. The team trying to develop a universal flu vaccine was interesting. A fair amount of discussion about the Spanish flu which is interesting too, especially in light of recent events.

1. Better Call Saul
2. Old DVD's:
So....I watched about 4 episodes on Better Call Saul Season 1 and I didn't stick with it, because I couldn't get into it. Is it really worth sticking with? Obviously the answ
1. Better Call Saul
2. Old DVD's:
So, I tried to get into Better Call Saul. Watched the first 4 Episodes on Season 1. Just couldn't get into it. Should I have just stayed with it?
Obviously the answer is yes, because now they're on what...Season 5?!!!

Seemed a bit cheesy, phony and unrealistic to me. I'm actually watching Money Heist at the moment, but always wondering if I should have stayed with BCS?

So....I watched about 4 episodes on Better Call Saul Season 1 and I didn't stick with it, because I couldn't get into it. Is it really worth sticking with? Obviously the answ

So, I tried to get into Better Call Saul. Watched the first 4 Episodes on Season 1. Just couldn't get into it. Should I have just stayed with it?

Seemed a bit cheesy, phony and unrealistic to me. I'm actually watching Money Heist at the moment, but always wondering if I should have stayed with BCS?
I think you either are fascinated by the main character, or not. Eventually, like BB, takes a very dark turn, and I lost interest. But the cleverness of both the character, and the writing, I found amazing.

Edit: Mike is especially "original."

Tokyo looks better naked than Jimmy McGill/Saul.

Don't regret your decision.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but I definitely recommend Justified. I think it ended in 2012 but is available on Amazon. Prime Video.

Bar Rescue is always good for a chuckle.

Reactions: SDCoug
1) Breaking Bad
1a) (For more seasons) Justified.

More recent.
2) The Boys
2) Watchmen

And of course The Office for anytime time killing.

Last edited:

Better call saul needs to be watched after Breaking Bad. Both are all-timers.
Also: Broadchurch and the Harlan Coben Shows.

Reactions: Cougzz and SDCoug
If you liked Broadchurch try Fortitude. Wife and I have been enjoying Avenue 5, but we can't really binge that yet because it's new.

Better call saul needs to be watched after Breaking Bad. Both are all-timers.
Also: Broadchurch and the Harlan Coben Shows.
Of course. BB first, then BCS. My point is after finishing BB... I started BCS, and couldn't get into it. After 4 episodes of BCS, I stopped. Should give it another try?

Of course. BB first, then BCS. My point is after finishing BB... I started BCS, and couldn't get into it. After 4 episodes of BCS, I stopped. Should give it another try?

yes. Season 1 was almost painful to watch. Lots of character development but not much entertainment. It picks up.

1) Breaking Bad
1a) (For more seasons) Justified.

More recent.
2) The Boys
2) Watchmen

And of course The Office for anytime time killing.

I really enjoyed "The Boys' and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Watchmen was ok but it would be a lot lower on my list. In no particular order, here are some series that I'd recommend that people watch:

Justified (an all time great series)
The Boys (enjoyed most of this season but the finale kind of pissed me off)
The Umbrella Academy (I can watch the opening violin scene for days.....Luther is an idiot though)
The Witcher (great if you liked the games, the Battle of Sodden Hill didn't really resonate with me though)
Daredevil (Seasons 1 & 2 are good.....3 bored me)
The Punisher (season 1 anyway)

Series to think about once you've burned through the first bunch:

Altered Carbon (season 1 was good, season 2 feels strange because they changed the lead...but it works because of the story)
Ozark (my wife likes this show way more than she should)
Good Omens (a bit on the controversial side and odd AF)
Mind Hunters (serial killer series......features BTK from Wichita)

Reactions: sellas
I really enjoyed "The Boys' and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Watchmen was ok but it would be a lot lower on my list. In no particular order, here are some series that I'd recommend that people watch:

Justified (an all time great series)
The Boys (enjoyed most of this season but the finale kind of pissed me off)
The Umbrella Academy (I can watch the opening violin scene for days.....Luther is an idiot though)
The Witcher (great if you liked the games, the Battle of Sodden Hill didn't really resonate with me though)
Daredevil (Seasons 1 & 2 are good.....3 bored me)
The Punisher (season 1 anyway)

Series to think about once you've burned through the first bunch:

Altered Carbon (season 1 was good, season 2 feels strange because they changed the lead...but it works because of the story)
Ozark (my wife likes this show way more than she should)
Good Omens (a bit on the controversial side and odd AF)
Mind Hunters (serial killer series......features BTK from Wichita)

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Homeland. First couple of seasons were off the charts. Mixed bag after that. I’m watching the final season now which is probably a 7-8 on a 1-10 if the first couple seasons were 10s.

Since I don't stream shows, I generally check to see what the oldie movie cable channels have going....and I am now finally re-reading some of the books I've owned going back to high school. Good excuse to look through everything that I have in storage.

Entertainment Weekly came out with their list of the Top 100 television shows of all time in 2013. Can’t find the EW site but IMDB has the list.

It’s seven years old now but there are some gems in here. Top ten from back then we’re:
  1. The Wire
  2. The Simpsons
  3. Seinfeld
  4. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  5. The Sopranos
  6. All in the Family
  7. The Andy Griffith Show
  8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  9. Mad Men
  10. Your Show of Shows
If they were to do this again I’m sure that there are several shows that would move up the list from their current spots and others that would be added.

Great list if you’re looking for something you haven’t seen or just want to jump back into something you watched ages ago.

Homeland jumped the shark a couple years ago. Really declined. Avenue 5 has terrific actors and the show runner from the great VEEP. But it is a failure on every level. Stick with:
Justified
Peaky Blinders (terrific use of modern music on a 1920’s show)
Succession
The Wire
Sopranos
For an old-school HBO on demand show, go back to the original “Oz”. That one set the stage for premium network series.
Veep has the sharpest writing and ensemble work I have ever seen.
Deadwood is a visceral triumph. The show runner was nuts, but the cast persevered and the result is glorious.

Trying to add some stuff that hasn't been listed

Deadwood, my all-time favorite, Ian McShanes portrayal of Al Swearengen is best acting I've witnessed.

Parks and Recreation for some good comedy

Sneakey Pete, though the final season conclusion disappoints some

Reactions: spongeworthy12
Trying to add some stuff that hasn't been listed

Deadwood, my all-time favorite, Ian McShanes portrayal of Al Swearengen is best acting I've witnessed.

Parks and Recreation for some good comedy

Sneakey Pete, though the final season conclusion disappoints some

Sneakey Pete has a lot of the Justified characters. I think they have some of the same writers. I watched an episode or two but got distracted. I'll revisit it...but I think I need to watch The Wire before I do anything else.

Last edited:
Justified is a great series. One of my all time favorites without a doubt. Gotta watch out for the Apple Pie though.

Yeah...gotta watch out for the Apple Pie for sure. I'm actually weary of any hillbillies after watching that show :D

I mentioned in the post above I need to watch The Wire...but I think I will go with Mind Hunters and then the Wire. My sister told me about it...and I'm a bit of a true crime junkie so I think I will go with that game plan. Should keep me busy for a while.

my top 7 all time list - no particular order

Vikings
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Sopranos
Bates Motel
Fargo

make it 8 - I loved Justified - big Elmore Leonard fan!

I like 'em bloody :)

Last edited:
Some good recent shows:
  • Breaking Bad
  • Ray Donovan
  • Game of Thrones
  • Ozark
  • Bates Motel
  • The Sinner (surprisingly good for USA Network -- almost HBO-level quality)
  • True Detective
  • Boardwalk Empire
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Fargo
  • House of Cards while Spacey was still on it ... worth watching if anyone hasn't at this point
  • Better Call Saul (just well-done; can drag on a bit and be slow but high-quality)
  • Silicon Valley (especially the earlier seasons and especially if you deal with the tech industry)
  • Homeland (early seasons amazing; since then has been the same plot every season, pretty much, with Carrie suffering greatly due to her mental illness, Saul getting captured, etc.)

Underrated, somewhat more obscure stuff:
  • Dark (subtitled German show but pretty great if you like stuff like Lost)
  • Patriot (you'll either love it or hate it ... I like its dark humor)
  • Comrade Detective (spoof of an 80s communist propagandist show with voice-overs ... sounds weird but just hilarious with the ridiculous voice-overs and overacting) ... if anyone knows of any other shows like this, please let me know.
  • Black Mirror (not that obscure but pretty good in certain episodes; can drag on a bit like bad SNL skits sometimes, where the point is made early on and it drags on for an hour)

Just finished Hunters on Amazon Prime. Better than watching replays onnPac12 network of 2014 ASU vs Stanford.

1. Favorite all time

2. sleeper pick.

1. Game of Thrones - HBO

My “favorite of all time” seems to shift every so often. I like quite a few of the series I have seen mentioned.

But, there are a few not mentioned that I think are really good. And, bonus time, a couple of them are based on long running series of very good novels. So a person could always read the books if they like the shows....

First is “The Last Kingdom”, based on Bernard Cornwell’s series of “Saxon Stories”. The books are fantastic and the TV series does them credit.

Another is “Bosch”, based on Michael Connelly’s long series of Harry Bosch novels.

I watched “The Frankenstein Chronicles” because Sean Bean was the lead actor. It was a pretty interesting period piece (couple of seasons). Worth watching but not spectacular.

“Rome” was an HBO series a few years ago. Most excellent. 13th!!!!!!

I also liked “The Expanse” on Amazon Prime video. Had a bit of a hard time getting into it. Once I did I was hooked.

I'm ready to pull out my DVD favorites that have gathered dust in the closet for a couple of years:

(1) Band of Brothers (with a companion followup viewing of The Pacific)
(2) Boardwalk Empire
(3) Narcos
(4) and if I owned it, the entire set of The Sopranos
***Really liked the first 3 seasons of Homeland. Worth another viewing.
*******Is it time to see all of the Bond movies in chronological order again? Probably too soon for me.

Glad Cougar

I'm ready to pull out my DVD favorites that have gathered dust in the closet for a couple of years:

(1) Band of Brothers (with a companion followup viewing of The Pacific)
(2) Boardwalk Empire
(3) Narcos
(4) and if I owned it, the entire set of The Sopranos
***Really liked the first 3 seasons of Homeland. Worth another viewing.
*******Is it time to see all of the Bond movies in chronological order again? Probably too soon for me.

Glad Cougar

The first two seasons of Narcos are good.

Reactions: Cougzz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT