ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Has No Heart

spongeandshoot

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2020
Not sure what happened during the bye, but this team is the least excited to play.

The O-line woes are well documented..but it goes beyond that.

We went from being a team that tackled well on defense and being in position to make a play to a policy of tackling is optional.

There is absolutely no fire.

How does Stone go from whipping a Big 10 left tackle on a team that always produces quality lineman to just being a no show.

Was he even out on the field? Couldn't tell.

Gotta give ASU credit. They were 1-6 and came in more excited to play. You usually don't see that with a 1 win team.

Not sure what happened during the bye, but this team is the least excited to play.

We went from being a team that tackled well on defense and being in position to make a play to a policy of tackling is optional.

How does Stone go from whipping a Big 10 left tackle on a team that always produces quality lineman to just being a no show.

Gotta give ASU credit. They were 1-6 and came in more excited to play. You usually don't see that with a 1 win team.
Yeah, their body language says it all.

I agree with everything you wrote. Although Arizona state at least knows they are going to be in the big 12 next year. They have a bright future. I’m sure the uncertainty of whether there will even be much of a WSU team next year and if most people are gonna be gone, has contributed to the low morale amongst our players. There is a snowball effect and it’s picking up speed.
The NCAA, ESPN, and everyone else has given our team essentially the death penalty due to no fault of our own. . I’m annoyed at our players for giving up, but I also understand that we are talking 18 to 22 year olds who are uncertain about their future.
Also, can’t fault Richardson for chasing down Skattebo.

Reactions: spongeandshoot

Stone was in a 5-way tie for 5th on the team with 4. Jackson was 10th with 3.

I agree with everything you wrote. Although Arizona state at least knows they are going to be in the big 12 next year. They have a bright future. I’m sure the uncertainty of whether there will even be much of a WSU team next year and if most people are gonna be gone, has contributed to the low morale amongst our players. There is a snowball effect and it’s picking up speed.
The NCAA, ESPN, and everyone else has given our team essentially the death penalty due to no fault of our own. . I’m annoyed at our players for giving up, but I also understand that we are talking 18 to 22 year olds who are uncertain about their future.
Also, can’t fault Richardson for chasing down Skattebo.
A couple of vocal mal contents could really infect the locker room with negativity

Reactions: spongeandshoot

I would be willing to bet they had time during the bye week that other teams were calling through their channels and gave them the reality check , that WSU is toast, and that they better have a plan in place where they are playing next year and grab a seat early. "Don't let what happened to WSU and OSU happen to you".

And who are the leaders? Do we really have anyone? Has there anyone who has been with the program long enough to say they are the leader? Portal changes that as well.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I would be willing to bet they had time during the bye week that other teams were calling through their channels and gave them the reality check , that WSU is toast, and that they better have a plan in place where they are playing next year and grab a seat early. "Don't let what happened to WSU and OSU happen to you".

And who are the leaders? Do we really have anyone? Has there anyone who has been with the program long enough to say they are the leader? Portal changes that as well.

I thought Stone and Jackson would be great leaders.

Yeah something happened...bad news of some kind or something. We are just going through the motions now.

18-22 year old kids can flip on a dime... Somewhat skitzo at times.

Whatever it is, it hit the Vball team as well. 😳
Was gonna say that. Went to the game today. OSU has a phenomenal player, but Cougs shoulda wiped the floor with them. Hit like 8 serves into the net, unforced errors all over the place. I think the uncertainty of the future is catching up with these kids. Can’t say I blame them what a F’d up situation.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Was gonna say that. Went to the game today. OSU has a phenomenal player, but Cougs shoulda wiped the floor with them. Hit like 8 serves into the net, unforced errors all over the place. I think the uncertainty of the future is catching up with these kids. Can’t say I blame them what a F’d up situation.
He'll, the uncertainty is catching up with us fans too. Just read these boards. That will NOT be a raucous crowd Saturday. That's all I have to say about that.

Mix in the rain and the crowd is going to be dismal
Well, don’t forget the fact that we’re on a 4 game skid and have looked pretty bad for a month. When there’s no life on the field, there’s no life in the stands.

Some of us may remember 1994 and the Palouse Posse. The Martin crowd came alive when the defense was on the field, and basically went to sleep when the offense came out. We even joked that we should skip offense entirely - just punt on 1st down, because the defense was as likely to score as the offense was. That was an exaggeration of course, but the defense was way more fun to watch.

Tangent - the band playing the Jaws theme got popular and common while the Posse was playing. The band should not play that for this defense - it’s an insult to the Posse. I think the Posse’s players today (in their 50s) would be better to watch than our current defense. They might not get better results, but at least they’d show some effort.

Meanwhile. For anyone who wants to make some cheddar, we are a 13 point favorite against Furd on Saturday 🤯.

I don’t understand Vegas’s love of this team. Have they not been watching the same putrid shit we have? I don’t see how this team is capable of a double digit win right now. Yeah we covered against OR we usually do. But giving 9 to Zona, 6.5 against ASU on the road now this? There’s got to be a degenerate out there banking these ridiculous spreads!

That's why I used "total guess". I don't have any sources. I'm just guessing what seems likely, based on the current makeup of college athletics.
It makes sense to me. May be notable, though, that the Beavs haven't suffered to the same extent. They beat Utah, Cal, and UCLA the three weeks after losing to us. Then had a bye and didn't look that great in losing to Arizona this past weekend, but they weren't mailing it in. I also think Arizona is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug90
Yeah, but that wouldn’t stay quiet.
Agreed. Can’t see how something wouldn’t leak. Plus we are still landing recruits, as good of a dude as Dickert seems to be, recruiting would screech to a halt if he was on his way out.

I laugh out loud at the thought of Michigan State hiring Dickert. I swear, we've got some shortsighted fans. Michigan State is a dumpster fire right now, but they're one of the richest programs in the Nation. Right there with UW. Their fans and local media have listed coaching candidates like Urban Meyer, Luke Fickell, and Lance Liepold in the $10M/year salary range, and you've got Jake Dickert penciled in as their secret hire?

I laugh out loud at the thought of Michigan State hiring Dickert. I swear, we've got some shortsighted fans. Michigan State is a dumpster fire right now, but they're one of the richest programs in the Nation. Right there with UW. Their fans and local media have listed coaching candidates like Urban Meyer, Luke Fickell, and Lance Liepold in the $10M/year salary range, and you've got Jake Dickert penciled in as their secret hire?
At 4-0 it wasn’t absurd. To consider the situation he inherited and where we were in 2 years with 2 top 20 wins and a #13 ranking? Not surprising at all to hear him mentioned. Now after a month of the team crapping the bed, yeah. Can’t see how an MSU or similar program could get their alumni excited about Dickert.

Not disagreeing with you but isn’t it family weekend? (Parents weekend, formerly dads weekend, whatever TF they call it now so as not to anger anyone).
Yeah, and no one is less committed to attending a game than parents who aren't fans of the teams playing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT