ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson's All-star snub

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26808806/thompson-shocked-told-all-nba-snub

So this is funny. Not the snub of course, but over at clickbait it's "Thompson furious". Well that doesn't sound like Klay.

On the link above, it's "Thompson shocked". Ok, more like it. Then you watch the video and read the transcript. It sure as hell isn't "furious", and "shocked" is almost too strong. Disapointed maybe. And they kept goading him about the contract implications, and Klay didn't bite. Good job, classy Coug.

Reactions: kougkurt
Haven't followed the NBA for years so I know little about the relative qualities of the players mentioned but find it remarkable and somewhat dubious that there are six players better than Klay at his position.

He is furious. It prevents Klay from being eligible for a SuperMax contract ($220MM). Yes, the NBA connects popularity to contract money. Crazy and infuriating that he didn’t even make 3rd team. CVE

Reactions: Cougzz
So he only gets 190 mil? Hard for me to care, really. Plus, I thought he handled it really well. "Rings."

So he only gets 190 mil? Hard for me to care, really. Plus, I thought he handled it really well. "Rings."

For Warriors fans, it’s great news. Saves the team $30MM + potential luxury taxes. I think it all but assures Klay will stay with the Warriors and more future rings for Klay.

He is furious. It prevents Klay from being eligible for a SuperMax contract ($220MM). Yes, the NBA connects popularity to contract money. Crazy and infuriating that he didn’t even make 3rd team. CVE

Thanks for giving us the real story, Mychal. I didn't believe the "non-furious" tone or facial expression or actual words that came out of Klay's mouth the moment he heard the news. Tell your son that we are all sorry that he now can only re-sign for $190 million instead of $220 million. Let us know what else he has to say.

Thanks for giving us the real story, Mychal. I didn't believe the "non-furious" tone or facial expression or actual words that came out of Klay's mouth the moment he heard the news. Tell your son that we are all sorry that he now can only re-sign for $190 million instead of $220 million. Let us know what else he has to say.

Wow, how did you know?

I usually listen to ESPN 710 during my morning commute. But, they were replaying an interview regarding the basketball recruit that just committed to the uw. So, I turned the radio to KJR and they were talking about this subject.

Seriously, this happened. The host said that Klay isn't smart enough to know what just happened.

Klay may or may not be furious. But, I was furious about the comment.

Cost of 31 mil

I usually listen to ESPN 710 during my morning commute. But, they were replaying an interview regarding the basketball recruit that just committed to the uw. So, I turned the radio to KJR and they were talking about this subject.

Seriously, this happened. The host said that Klay isn't smart enough to know what just happened.

Well, Softy is quite the genius. He was going to pay bounties to people that tackled the flag wavers when Gameday went to Montlake.

Reactions: metprof and Cougzz
Maybe that extra $30Million was earmarked for the Klay Thompson Basketball Facility.....

Klay got robbed not just on the All-NBA teams but being relegated to the 2nd team All-Defensive team. As far as two-way players go, he and Kawhi are really the only two in the discussion.

Reactions: Cougzz and CougEd

I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Klay knew exactly what happened when he didn't make All NBA. The petty sh!t these mouth breathers go to because a dude went to Wazzu is so sad. UW hasn't produce a player like Klay in years. How much you make is based on what media members believes is ridiculous. You should be paid your market rate. Klay is worth just as much or more than Dame, Kemba, Westbrook. What he brings to a team is way more valuable.

I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Klay knew exactly what happened when he didn't make All NBA. The petty sh!t these mouth breathers go to because a dude went to Wazzu is so sad. UW hasn't produce a player like Klay in years. How much you make is based on what media members believes is ridiculous. You should be paid your market rate. Klay is worth just as much or more than Dame, Kemba, Westbrook. What he brings to a team is way more valuable.

We really as a group easy targets . Softy’s comments did exactly what it was meant to do ... give those who are dog lovers something to smirk about and give Cougar fans something to get emotional over. That is what they are paid to do. Some could argue with his Bcc AA diploma that he did what he set out to do.

I am more kissed Klamath got screwed out of 31 mil, and here is one area I believe trickle down economics works :)

Maybe that extra $30Million was earmarked for the Klay Thompson Basketball Facility.....

Klay got robbed not just on the All-NBA teams but being relegated to the 2nd team All-Defensive team. As far as two-way players go, he and Kawhi are really the only two in the discussion.

I recall Steph Curry being interviewed a couple of years ago, when he was making way less than some other guys simply because of where he was at in his contract. He basically said that his dad taught him to focus on what you are getting paid, not what others are making.

BB salaries are sooooooo f-ng ridiculous. Klay should be pissed because now he can only make $38 million a year instead of $44 million a year. Sure, whatever. He get robbed, screwed, ripped off.

Klay is one of the best all around talents in the NBA. Excellent defensively and dynamic offensively. Very few players bring to the table what he brings. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows this. Pretty simple stuff. Plus yes, he's a classy player. I think that sums it up.

According to Nielsen, Seattle/Tacoma is the #12 ranked radio market in the US. When you consider how few really good radio talk folks there are anywhere in the US, not just in sports but in any talk radio capacity, it is pretty clear why the #12 market is going to be sucking hind t*t for a lot of people who are any good. As a result, most of them just toss hand grenades to try to stir up some interest. It is all they can do, and they want their show to survive, so that is what they do.

I guess enough people are willing to listen that they can sell enough advertising to stay on the air.

According to Nielsen, Seattle/Tacoma is the #12 ranked radio market in the US. When you consider how few really good radio talk folks there are anywhere in the US, not just in sports but in any talk radio capacity, it is pretty clear why the #12 market is going to be sucking hind t*t for a lot of people who are any good. As a result, most of them just toss hand grenades to try to stir up some interest. It is all they can do, and they want their show to survive, so that is what they do.

I guess enough people are willing to listen that they can sell enough advertising to stay on the air.

I don't know. I have heard national hosts like Steven A. Smith, Colin Cowherd and Mike Francesa, I think they suck as well. Chuck Powell was a longtime popular radio host from Phoenix, which is a bigger market than Seattle, before he came to KJR. I just think that most talking heads are idiots, no matter the size of the market.

I don't know. I have heard national hosts like Steven A. Smith, Colin Cowherd and Mike Francesa, I think they suck as well. Chuck Powell was a longtime popular radio host from Phoenix, which is a bigger market than Seattle, before he came to KJR. I just think that most talking heads are idiots, no matter the size of the market.
They all would be better with baby filter especially SAS.

Sports journalists are getting to be up there with unauthorized biographers as illiterate sensationalists whose overwrought claims must be assumed false until proven true.

If you've written the byline/headline in your mind before the interview, do us all a favor and find a different job.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Sports journalists are getting to be up there with unauthorized biographers as illiterate sensationalists whose overwrought claims must be assumed false until proven true.

If you've written the byline/headline in your mind before the interview, do us all a favor and find a different job.

Writers in papers seldom write the headline of an article. That is handled by an editor.

Writers in papers seldom write the headline of an article. That is handled by an editor.
It seems to matter very little what anyone - the writer or the editor - discovered over the course of a story. Only that a sensational (to the point of lying or misleading) headline is added for eyeballs

I'm a big Klay Thompson fan (like every Coug?) but I really can't get into giving a crap about his so called All Star snub. Only six guys at each position get picked and while I think he's a top 10 kind of player, I think he benefits a lot because of the team he is on. He relies a lot on being part of an offense that lets him catch and shoot for most of his points. To his credit, he has started to show significant improvement and aggressiveness in his ball handling and shot creation......although his dunk the other night did involve a carry-on bag.

I like Klay, but he's an easier guy to root for when he's super chill, good teammate Klay making $35+ million per year without complaint instead of selfish Klay whining because it could have been over $42 million per year. I hope he decides to be the first guy. So far, I think he's handled the situation well and hope he continues to just play and enjoy the life he's got. Very few people get to be in his position.

I'm a big Klay Thompson fan (like every Coug?) but I really can't get into giving a crap about his so called All Star snub. Only six guys at each position get picked and while I think he's a top 10 kind of player, I think he benefits a lot because of the team he is on. He relies a lot on being part of an offense that lets him catch and shoot for most of his points. To his credit, he has started to show significant improvement and aggressiveness in his ball handling and shot creation......although his dunk the other night did involve a carry-on bag.

I like Klay, but he's an easier guy to root for when he's super chill, good teammate Klay making $35+ million per year without complaint instead of selfish Klay whining because it could have been over $42 million per year. I hope he decides to be the first guy. So far, I think he's handled the situation well and hope he continues to just play and enjoy the life he's got. Very few people get to be in his position.
Frankly, I think it is the opposite. He gives up part of his game to win. One of the easiest things to do for a good player is to put up great statistics on a bad team. To put up great statistics on a team like the Warriors is really outstanding.

Reactions: taf88
Frankly, I think it is the opposite. He gives up part of his game to win. One of the easiest things to do for a good player is to put up great statistics on a bad team. To put up great statistics on a team like the Warriors is really outstanding.

No doubt that he might take more shots on a team with less talent, but I think he doesn't get the same looks if the defense isn't worried about guy like Steph and Durant drawing attention. He might put up more points, get more assists and look better when looking at raw numbers, but I think his shooting percentages drop and I don't see him being "that guy" who changes just anyone into a title contender. Again, I'm thrilled with the success that Klay has had and I think he represents WSU well. We'll find out this summer if Klay is a guy who values his legacy of being part of a dynasty or if he feels like he has something to prove as an individual. I hope he goes with the team player role.

No doubt that he might take more shots on a team with less talent, but I think he doesn't get the same looks if the defense isn't worried about guy like Steph and Durant drawing attention. He might put up more points, get more assists and look better when looking at raw numbers, but I think his shooting percentages drop and I don't see him being "that guy" who changes just anyone into a title contender. Again, I'm thrilled with the success that Klay has had and I think he represents WSU well. We'll find out this summer if Klay is a guy who values his legacy of being part of a dynasty or if he feels like he has something to prove as an individual. I hope he goes with the team player role.

I think what will be really, really interesting is how much he gives to WSU as a result of us retiring his jersey. WSU has never had a player with anything near this kind of available coin. Per below, he has made $79 million through 18-19, and will likely make the $38 million/year max amount for the next 5 years.

That ($38 million) is about as much in one year as Leaf's entire contract. although granted 20 years of inflation have gone by. And what did Leaf give? $250,000 as I recall.

With a federal/state tax rate of approaching 50%, Klay saves 50 cents on the dollar, which bodes well for WSU. Really, really going to be interesting. $1 million? $10 million over 5 years? And with what restrictions? Heck, how about $30 million over 5 years for Klay Thompson Stadium? Forget basketball.

All that said, he is under no obligation to give WSU one cent. Although if I understand it, he basically said no to any substantial giving unless/until WSU retired his jersey? If this is anywhere near true, then I guess there is a significant expectation, if not an actual obligation.

https://hoopshype.com/player/klay-thompson/salary/

I think what will be really, really interesting is how much he gives to WSU as a result of us retiring his jersey. WSU has never had a player with anything near this kind of available coin. Per below, he has made $79 million through 18-19, and will likely make the $38 million/year max amount for the next 5 years.

That ($38 million) is about as much in one year as Leaf's entire contract. although granted 20 years of inflation have gone by. And what did Leaf give? $250,000 as I recall.

With a federal/state tax rate of approaching 50%, Klay saves 50 cents on the dollar, which bodes well for WSU. Really, really going to be interesting. $1 million? $10 million over 5 years? And with what restrictions? Heck, how about $30 million over 5 years for Klay Thompson Stadium? Forget basketball.

All that said, he is under no obligation to give WSU one cent. Although if I understand it, he basically said no to any substantial giving unless/until WSU retired his jersey? If this is anywhere near true, then I guess there is a significant expectation, if not an actual obligation.

https://hoopshype.com/player/klay-thompson/salary/

Agree and I hope that Klay does find it in his heart to give back substantially to WSU. He obviously doesn't have a specific obligation to do so, but if he wants an opportunity to make a lasting legacy, ponying up $10 million over time would certainly be a good way to do it.

Except that he was an allstar and winning championships before Durant. He wasn't drafted to a winning team. He helped to create the culture by sacrificing. Klay plays just as hard on the defensive end. Just think what he could do offensively if he would take plays off on the defensive end like players with great offensive stats but losing teams often do.

Klay would also be surrounded by supporting pieces which would take a lot of the defensive load off his shoulders. He's already capable of putting a team on his back on offense, imagine if it was allowed to be his primary focus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT