ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday night boredom...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
So I watched the Pac-12 in 60 replay of last season's Stanford-UW game.
As you might recall, Stanford, after trailing early, went on a 23-point run to lead 30-14 in the 4th quarter. Two observations: One, whenever Vita Vea was on the sideline, the husky defense was marginal at best. Vea is in the NFL this fall. His backup (Johnson?) got shoved all over the place. Two, as with WSU in the AC, the mutts got up early on Stanford. The difference? Stanford's style of offense (a healthy mix of pass and run) helped to keep the UW offense off the field, and its defense for the most part managed to counter the huskies' bread and butter (the misdirection, etc; e.g, the line crashing left with Browning then pivoting to the weak side, a TE doing the same to take on the LB in contain).
If there's a point here, it's that Stanford made adjustments we have not against the mutts. The question is are we capable of doing so?

I've just simply stated what Leach states is necessary. Nothing new or made up here.

Youtube has a tight edit of the Holiday bowl which only takes 30 minutes to watch. I was surprises by how open our receivers were all game. MSU continually brought 5-6 but Tyler wasnt making the right reads or was making poor throws and the offense never clicked. If short throws are consistently completed early, it'll open up medium and deep routes. When the offense has stalled, it's typically been because we miss some easy completions short.
The Air Raid requires execution. We didn't. I suspect rewatching the Apple Cup would show similar problems.

I've just simply stated what Leach states is necessary. Nothing new or made up here.

Which is code for not turning the ball over 4 times which is what Falk & co. did against UW. If the comparison is to Stanford / UW game that jumps off the page.

But while on the subject of in game adjustments. After UW went up 14 on Stanford, they did not score a point on their next 8 possessions .

Compare that to what UW did against WSU after going up 14-0, UW scored on 5 of their 6 possessions. If you are looking at grading in game adjustments, Grinch would get an F in the last 2 Apple Cups. How about keying on Gaskin & the RB's and making Browning beat you ? Washington rushed for over 140 yards over their season average last year against WSU and because of that Browning was asked to do very little .He only had 11 passing attempts. Again compare that to how ASU and Stanford beat UW, Browning had to throw over 20 times because they both took away the running game and made Browning try to beat them passing and you see what happened.

Which is code for not turning the ball over 4 times which is what Falk & co. did against UW. If the comparison is to Stanford / UW game that jumps off the page.

But while on the subject of in game adjustments. After UW went up 14 on Stanford, they did not score a point on their next 8 possessions .

Compare that to what UW did against WSU after going up 14-0, UW scored on 5 of their 6 possessions. If you are looking at grading in game adjustments, Grinch would get an F in the last 2 Apple Cups. How about keying on Gaskin & the RB's and making Browning beat you ? Washington rushed for over 140 yards over their season average last year against WSU and because of that Browning was asked to do very little .He only had 11 passing attempts. Again compare that to how ASU and Stanford beat UW, Browning had to throw over 20 times because they both took away the running game and made Browning try to beat them passing and you see what happened.
Ping...you are talking about in game adjustments. Others are talking about game plans. There is a subtle difference.

Youtube has a tight edit of the Holiday bowl which only takes 30 minutes to watch. I was surprises by how open our receivers were all game. MSU continually brought 5-6 but Tyler wasnt making the right reads or was making poor throws and the offense never clicked. If short throws are consistently completed early, it'll open up medium and deep routes. When the offense has stalled, it's typically been because we miss some easy completions short.
The Air Raid requires execution. We didn't. I suspect rewatching the Apple Cup would show similar problems.

In light of Tyler's passing and subsequent CTE diagnosis, it's probably best to just leave the Apple Cup and Holiday Bowl analysis on the shelf. In hindsight, it's fairly obvious there was something wrong and it had very little to do with adjustments or offensive systems.

Reactions: Wazzu Nation
In light of Tyler's passing and subsequent CTE diagnosis, it's probably best to just leave the Apple Cup and Holiday Bowl analysis on the shelf. In hindsight, it's fairly obvious there was something wrong and it had very little to do with adjustments or offensive systems.

I'm not saying this happened, but I wonder if Leach told TH that the QB position was up for grabs going into spring ball.

I'm not saying this happened, but I wonder if Leach told TH that the QB position was up for grabs going into spring ball.

A) anyone who plays for Leach knows that the qb position is open EVERY spring
and
B) that a fcking shitty pot to stir and implication to make. Does your trolling know no bounds? Maybe send this to his folks, I'm sure they'd be impressed by your genius level insight.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
According to Leach in the Hillinski article it was told he almost chose Hillinski over Falk. So my guess is that he did say the position is open, as he has always said that.

A) anyone who plays for Leach knows that the qb position is open EVERY spring
and
B) that a fcking shitty pot to stir and implication to make. Does your trolling know no bounds? Maybe send this to his folks, I'm sure they'd be impressed by your genius level insight.

Sponge?

Other than that 35-0 run by MSU, the Cougs were right in that game ...
What's sad is that Michigan State got its 42 points in about 37 minutes (MSU scored its first TD with just over 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter). I felt the difference between our offense and MSU's offense was their QB's running ability. TH hardly ever took off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT