ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Brady = Greatest of All Time

It's amazing how these things rely on other great players crapping their pants in crunch time to allow the opportunity. Matt Ryan taking a sack in game clinching FG range = inexcusable.

I'm sure some of Montanas greatest moments came after similar circumstances, but wow...Falcons handed him the GOAT.

It's amazing how these things rely on other great players crapping their pants in crunch time to allow the opportunity. Matt Ryan taking a sack in game clinching FG range = inexcusable.

I'm sure some of Montanas greatest moments came after similar circumstances, but wow...Falcons handed him the GOAT.

Matt Ryan filled his shorts !! Brady is amazing and now GOAT !! Donald Trump chuckles tonight.

I put the blame on the atlanta coaches for a stupid conservative game plan early, and for trying to swit on the lead second half

Yeah it is not even debatable now. 5 titles, plus 7 overall Super Bowl appearances. Comes up big year after year. When was the last time his team did not make at least the AFC Championship? Just incredible.

And I am not a fan. I've cheered against him his whole career, but reality is what reality is.

I put the blame on the atlanta coaches for a stupid conservative game plan early, and for trying to swit on the lead second half
Yeah, with a weapon like Julio Jones, I was wondering during the game (not after the fact) why they didn't throw him the ball more. But then, they really didn't have the ball that much....an incredible disparity in plays run between NE and ATL. The one time they should have gone conservative but didn't was with the ball on the Pats 22, less than 4 minutes to go, 8 point lead, easy FG range to make it a 2-score lead, and Ryan takes a sack followed by a holding call which ends up in a punt. Should have run the ball three straight times...but that's me being literally a Monday morning QB.

Glad Cougar

Yeah, with a weapon like Julio Jones, I was wondering during the game (not after the fact) why they didn't throw him the ball more. But then, they really didn't have the ball that much....an incredible disparity in plays run between NE and ATL. The one time they should have gone conservative but didn't was with the ball on the Pats 22, less than 4 minutes to go, 8 point lead, easy FG range to make it a 2-score lead, and Ryan takes a sack followed by a holding call which ends up in a punt. Should have run the ball three straight times...but that's me being literally a Monday morning QB.

Glad Cougar
No that's not you, that's literally what everyone was thinking. Just dumb. It's the belichek effect, he literally makes other coaches overthink and do stupid stuff because he's standing on the other sideline. It's pretty unbelievable if you think about it as everyone is a great coach at this level, especially those that get their teams to the Super Bowl, and yet they are weak minded enough to succumb to belicheks Jedi mind tricks.

You're right. Ryan did that THREE times, and the CBs for Atl were no good. Little quick guys like Edelman made them look like HS players. Ryan and company choked it all away. They had that game, then the guy takes a sack??? Dumb as a sack of rocks.

I figure Brady and Belichick will retire at the same time.

They'd be smart to do that. Brady has my respect because the guy just has the "IT" factor that we often talk about. Last night, down by 8 points, he's standing in the pocket at his goal line, having been hit all night long and throws a dart to a guy right as the defender is swiping at his arm. Very few QB's would have been able to do what he did at that moment without any hint of fear or worry. My comment above about the team after he left is wondering how much of his greatness is having a great system around him that allows him to make that play with no apparent fear or if it's just him. Right now, there's nothing that suggests that it's not him.

You don't have to like it, but you know it's true.
can someone help me put my finger on why he could be the most underwhelming GOAT ever? It just feels like he makes short throws, doesn't take sacks and doesn't throw (stupid) picks. I've never felt like it was Brady who was winning games, but at the same time he never lost games.

We just always look at these qb's who make these dynamic plays to engineer comebacks, and when it comes to Brady he executes all the short passes and his receivers make the plays and get the YAC.

I don't know, not trying to be a hater as I really don't care - I don't have another candidate that I'm rooting for.

can someone help me put my finger on why he could be the most underwhelming GOAT ever? It just feels like he makes short throws, doesn't take sacks and doesn't throw (stupid) picks. I've never felt like it was Brady who was winning games, but at the same time he never lost games.

We just always look at these qb's who make these dynamic plays to engineer comebacks, and when it comes to Brady he executes all the short passes and his receivers make the plays and get the YAC.

I don't know, not trying to be a hater as I really don't care - I don't have another candidate that I'm rooting for.
I cant stand Brady either, for the same reason most can't. He just seems to be the golden child blessed with everything...yet there's no denying his drive to win, and that's damn admirable.

When you start talking GOAT, I think one of the things you see is what transpired last night. You give that guy a sliver of a chance, and most likely he's gonna beat you. Atlanta left the door cracked open and paid. You could see it in Brady's eyes when things started turning that he was going to find a way to win.

Same thing with Montana, Jordan, Tiger (in his prime of course), etc.

Here's my thing about Brady. The QB position is another beast than JUST what you are outlining. It isn't JUST about his throws, or how mobile he is (or isn't), accuracy and all. He HAS to be a leader. He HAS to be able to bring everyone on the team together AND do so productively. On the field and off, in the locker room and in the parking lot and in practice. He obviously seems to do this. The whole team can rotate around him, and the Pat's organization never falters. He leads everyone, from every walk of life. That's exceptional.

And all of those things you mention and I mention, on the field that are simple and basic… are SOLID. It's so much like CML's philosophy, it's amazing. Just do the basics so well, no one can stop you. Now surround that philosophy with exceptional athletes… ? Boy, watch out. While I'd be mistaken to say the Pats are an Air Raid team, you get my meaning. Completely agree with you on that point. He'll do something pretty amazing every once in a while but his full body of work is basic stuff. He just does it so well, no one can stop him/them.

Am I a fan of Brady? Honestly, take away the Pretty Boy thing, and the Hot Wife, the accusations of cheating…
---He battles… he's a grinder. I don't give a hoot about him for the most part. But I do admire anyone with the kind of focus, heart and stamina that he's displayed throughout the years. Pretty admirable. For the longest time, I truly rooted against him. He's the dude that took Bledsoe's job away. Despised that. I'm over it. He is the GOAT, no question in my mind.

Reactions: PatBaum

I think the other two posts do a good job of explaining it but again, from my perspective, what makes it appropriate to put Brady in the GOAT category is the immeasurable "IT" factor that we often talk about. For over 15 years, the guy has consistently made plays, often under pressure, when it counted. As I mentioned above, his pass standing in the shadow of his own goalpost, under pressure, after being battered around all night, with the game on the line was unremarkable in itself. But with all of those other factors in play, you realize that 90% of QB's wouldn't have successfully completed that pass and 99.9% of all QB's can't do it as consistently as he does.

I think he's the product of a great system, but at the same time, Drew Bledsoe, at the height of his career wasn't as good in that system as Brady, and he's arguably the greatest QB to ever play at WSU, a school known for it's QB's. I'm no Brady fan but the guy deserves props for taking care of business.

As a native Bostonian, these past 20 years have been beyond fairy tale. From having our hearts ripped out every year, to an embarrassment of sports riches. 3 for the Red Sox, 5 for the Pats, one each for the Celts and Bruins. The Cougs have gone to a couple of Rose Bowls. Most people outside of New England aren't aware that the Patriots didn't win a home playoff game for 40 years after they were founded.

Brady has been absolutely remarkable. Keeps his mouth shut, structures his contracts so they're team friendly, works hard, almost always (as in 98%) has the team in a position to win every game he's played in. Hell, all 7 Super Bowls, including the 2 they lost to the Giants, he led them back for late go ahead scores. It's impossible to imagine any professional athlete having a more "perfect" career than Tom Brady has had. Then there's Gisele.

I am a life long 49er fan and loved the 4 Super Bowl wins Super Joe Montana produced, but even I have to admit Brady is special . He is the GOAT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT