ADVERTISEMENT

Tomb of Aristotle found?

SCglory

Hall Of Fame
Dec 19, 2003
Huge news if true. The philosopher whose thought so monumentally shaped western culture--the one who Thomas Aquinas simply referred to as "The Philosopher"--may have been buried in his home town. If corroboration is forthcoming, this discovery could add a site to the already rich philosopher's tour of Greece. It what can only be described as a Hellenic sense of irony, Aristotle's burial site could become a place along the lines of what Plato called "chora," the idea of a place that nourishes us far more richly than mere "topos"--an idea that Aristotle himself had little patience for.

It certainly would add to my sense of "eudaimonia" (happiness)! This would be an extremely important find.....

LINK

Huge news if true. The philosopher whose thought so monumentally shaped western culture--the one who Thomas Aquinas simply referred to as "The Philosopher"--may have been buried in his home town. If corroboration is forthcoming, this discovery could add a site to the already rich philosopher's tour of Greece. It what can only be described as a Hellenic sense of irony, Aristotle's burial site could become a place along the lines of what Plato called "chora," the idea of a place that nourishes us far more richly than mere "topos"--an idea that Aristotle himself had little patience for.

It certainly would add to my sense of "eudaimonia" (happiness)! This would be an extremely important find.....

LINK

I was expecting to get rickrolled

LINK
And in related news...he's still dead.

Reactions: YakiCoug
And in related news...he's still dead.

Even deader than Generalissimo Francisco Franco. Aristotle was the closest thing the Western World ever had to a man that knew everything though. Probably had a touch of the OCD with all his classification systems, but it gave everybody else a framework to start with

Reactions: YakiCoug
Not if you've read history, art, political science, ethics, medicine, biology, and the fine arts. His thought lives in all of them.
True. But finding his burial site adds nothing to that. The corpse is not the man.

True. But finding his burial site adds nothing to that. The corpse is not the man.
agreed. But, as the article says, it's only his ashes that are likely here, as tradition goes. But make no mistake, this burial site just gave a poor country a huge boost in tourism dollars. Hell, if this is confirmed, I'm pretty sure I could get a field trip there approved....along with going to Delphi, Aristotle's Lagoon, Athens, Thermopylae, Parthenon, Acropolis, etc. Humans use sites like this to FIND the man or men, to feed our souls: Pearl Harbor, The Alamo, Gettysburg, Normandy, Arlington.....

agreed. But, as the article says, it's only his ashes that are likely here, as tradition goes. But make no mistake, this burial site just gave a poor country a huge boost in tourism dollars. Hell, if this is confirmed, I'm pretty sure I could get a field trip there approved....along with going to Delphi, Aristotle's Lagoon, Athens, Thermopylae, Parthenon, Acropolis, etc. Humans use sites like this to FIND the man or men, to feed our souls: Pearl Harbor, The Alamo, Gettysburg, Normandy, Arlington.....

But your main point is about a boost in tourism, which is more about the padding of pockets and less about feeding souls. Btw, when they find Jesus' bones, now that will be noteworthy, Simcha Jacobovici's "Jesus family tomb" claims notwithstanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT