ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett retiring.

Yeah, when I saw this on cougfan I assumed it was at the end of the season. He's seems more of a private guy? Wonder how much is discovered around why and why now?

Yeah, when I saw this on cougfan I assumed it was at the end of the season. He's seems more of a private guy? Wonder how much is discovered around why and why now?
Damn you guys beat me to it. I just read this. Yeah there has to be a backstory. $5 sez Mr. 5 Pillars was Pillaring (pillowing) some young coed or AD assistant.

I think he just falls into the camp of Saban and Jay Wright and with the new NIL wild, wild west...why bother anymore?
The university is saying it isn't health related...sort of weird to retire right before the season starts and after signing a new contract.
Well since Saban was 71 and Bennett is 55 I question that comparison. And yeah it is more than weird. I'll stick to my prediction of hanky panky.

Well since Saban was 71 and Bennett is 55 I question that comparison. And yeah it is more than weird. I'll stick to my prediction of hanky panky.
Jay Wright retired at 60, and that was before NIL became even more out of control.

If it's any type of hanky panky, it's probably the university administration that fumbled some transition plan he wanted for the program.

Goodman says Tony health not the reason. Questions whether it's a family member plus the general cluster that is college athletics.

This is just the Bennett's MO.
His dad quit mid-season at Wisc.
His dad anounced he was retiring from WSU before the end of the season.
TB abruptly quits in the pre-season. No official games yet, but certainly the team is engaged fully at this point.
Might be a way of forcing the University to pick one of his assistants. Of maybe something snapped (or about to). Dick Bennett was supposedly on the edge of a nervous breakdown/exhaustion/burn-out at Wisconsin. Seems like since TB has spent his entire life in basketball, he would know what he was getting into at the start of a season and could have decided in the summer whether to return or not...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT