ADVERTISEMENT

Top 20 all-time WSU men's basketball players...

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
I was thinking about what KougKurt stated below about Rodman...

"A lunch pail guy and a top 20 all time Coug Yeah I mean it."

I love the guy and wish we could clone him. He's so solid and smart...and does so much for our team.

But should he be in the top 20 of Wazzu men's basketball players?

To not go back too far in history, which players should be on the top 20 list starting with Raveling's tenure (so no Dennis Hogg, Ted Wierman, Lenny Allen or players before that included)?

We've probably done this before, but I don't remember.

So in mostly chronological order, these are the players I thought of:

Steve Puidokas
James Donaldson
Don Collins
Bryan Rison
Stuart House
Craig Ehlo
Guy Williams
Brian Quinnett
Isaac Fontaine
Tony Harris
Terrence Lewis
Bennie Seltzer
Devonte Lacy
Mark Hendrickson
Marcus Moore
Derrick Low
Kyle Weaver
Aaron Baynes
Taylor Rochestie
Brock Motum
Josh Hawkinson
C.J. Elleby
Robert Franks
Klay Thompson

That's 24. Which 5 would you take off the list to add Rodman?

I think the hard part is that Rodman does so many good things that don't necessarily get captured in the stats. Does he belong in the top 20? I can easily see a good case for him. Thoughts?

Mike Bush! Gets bonus points for being a really solid WR too

Casto was one of my favorites. Rebounding and shot blocking machine! Developed into a decent scorer to his last year. One of top FG% in Coug history.

I love the guy and wish we could clone him. He's so solid and smart...and does so much for our team.

To not go back too far in history, which players should be on the top 20 list starting with Raveling's tenure (so no Dennis Hogg, Ted Wierman, Lenny Allen or players before that included)?

Steve Puidokas
James Donaldson
Don Collins
Bryan Rison
Stuart House
Craig Ehlo
Guy Williams
Brian Quinnett
Isaac Fontaine
Tony Harris
Terrence Lewis
Bennie Seltzer
Devonte Lacy
Mark Hendrickson
Marcus Moore
Derrick Low
Kyle Weaver
Aaron Baynes
Taylor Rochestie
Brock Motum
Josh Hawkinson
C.J. Elleby
Robert Franks
Klay Thompson

I think the hard part is that Rodman does so many good things that don't necessarily get captured in the stats. Does he belong in the top 20? I can easily see a good case for him. Thoughts?
I don't know if the poster meant best actual player. Top 20 coug I feel like is different. Is Steve Gleason one on the top 20 wsu football players? Probably not. Top 20 coug 100%

WSU NBA Robert Frank's should be on list.

It's not his fault Ernie Kent was his coach.

Reggie Moore- Maybe.

Neil Derek- Sampson- Maybe

Eddie Hill- Sampson-maybe

Efe Abogidi-2,3 year player. Plays on NBA D League Ignite- Should be on list.

WSU NBA Robert Frank's should be on list.

It's not his fault Ernie Kent was his coach.

Reggie Moore- Maybe.

Neil Derek- Sampson- Maybe

Eddie Hill- Sampson-maybe

Efe Abogidi-2,3 year player. Plays on NBA D League Ignite- Should be on list.

Oops didn't see Robert Frank's on list

Gotta’ be more Harshman-era Coug’s on there, but that’s before my time. Gene Conley though for sure and I’m spacing on a center.

Norton Barnhill, Harold Rhodes, and Carlos Daniels also come to mind

Steve Puidokas
James Donaldson
Don Collins
Bryan Rison
Stuart House
Craig Ehlo
Guy Williams
Brian Quinnett
Isaac Fontaine
Tony Harris
Terrence Lewis
Bennie Seltzer
Devonte Lacy
Mark Hendrickson
Marcus Moore
Derrick Low
Kyle Weaver
Aaron Baynes
Taylor Rochestie
Brock Motum
Josh Hawkinson
C.J. Elleby
Robert Franks
Klay Thompson

I think he deserves to be in the conversation for top 20. So do the 24 you mentioned. There are none I want to take off the list.

I think if you had 100 people list their top 20, these would be the most common names, but I can’t make a convincing argument for why any of them don’t make the cut.

If you’re talking top players of all time I don’t think Rodman is close to making the grade. If you’re are talking favorite player of all time I think he cracks my top ten.

Thomas Kelati was first team all PAC 10 and for several years was one of the highest payed Euro players along with Rochestie

Last edited:
Craig Ehlo can only be on this list based on his NBA resume. As a Coug guard, 8.5 point a game, 4.5 to 3.5 assists to turnover ratio is lack luster. There is a reason Guy Williams was forced to bring the ball up court despite playing forward, Ehlo and Wink were serious ball handling liabilities. Ehlo always had more "potential" than he showed at WSU.

If you’re talking top players of all time I don’t think Rodman is close to making the grade. If you’re are talking favorite player of all time I think he cracks my top ten.

Thomas Kelati was first team all PAC 10 and for several years was one of the highest payed Euro players along with Rochestie
I forgot about Kelati. Good catch!

Gotta’ be more Harshman-era Coug’s on there, but that’s before my time. Gene Conley though for sure and I’m spacing on a center.

Norton Barnhill, Harold Rhodes, and Carlos Daniels also come to mind
Yeah. I cut it off so not to include any players before Raveling. Lots of good players under Harshman.

Steve Puidokas
James Donaldson
Don Collins
Bryan Rison
Stuart House
Craig Ehlo
Guy Williams
Brian Quinnett
Isaac Fontaine
Tony Harris
Terrence Lewis
Bennie Seltzer
Devonte Lacy
Mark Hendrickson
Marcus Moore
Derrick Low
Kyle Weaver
Aaron Baynes
Taylor Rochestie
Brock Motum
Josh Hawkinson
C.J. Elleby
Robert Franks
Klay Thompson

That's a really good list. To get down to 20, which is a tough thing to do, I would eliminate Harris, Lacy, Moore and probably Ehlo (since my criteria doesn't take into consideration NBA career). If you did want to go back to the Harshman era, you could add Jim McKean, Ted Wierman, Dennis Hogg, and Rick Erickson (maybe Dan Steward?)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT