ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Game?

Sep 17, 2003
My son asked me if this was one of the top 5 Coug games I've attended. For me the 97 Apple Cup is tops for what it represented. The 98 Rose Bowl would also be in the top 5 also because of what it represented. I was able to attend the 97 USC game. It might make my top 5 because it was 2 weeks in a row against the socal schools and thinking these guys might be pretty good. The 2002 SC that someone just mentioned in another thread was exciting and featured 2 good teams that ended up as really good teams. I didnt attend the Gameday Oregon game but I suspect that would up there for many people. Before my time I can think of 2 possible games that might make other people's top 5 games: the 82? AC when Nelson missed the FG and the Cougs kept UW from the Rose Bowl. I would also think think the UCLA 17-17 tie would be highly ranked. I believe it was their 1st time in Pullman and I believe it was on ABC only because I remember watching it. The Holiday Bowl's dismantling of a blueblood program might garner votes from others.

There have been exciting games, like the Tony Pole AC, but the games I listed were, I think, important games with meaning. I'm trying to guard against recency bias but this might have been one of the top 5 Coug games I've been to. It wasn't the prettiest game, the most exciting, the best teams, but the context of the game and the victory made it really special. It was the biggest non conference program to ever visit Pullman (hats off to Wisconsin for not trying to back out), the surprising and abrupt news just over a month ago, the fact nobody wants us, etc. The win was a big FU to college football. The storming of the field and playing of Back Home was really cool to see. After the game we stopped at Arby's on the way out of town. It was different than going after a win over ASU or Cal or even UW. It was kind of quiet but everybody was smiling and probably standing a bit taller.

So until I can think of another game I attended I will say that this is a top 5 Cougar game I've been to.

What would be your top 5?

My son asked me if this was one of the top 5 Coug games I've attended. For me the 97 Apple Cup is tops for what it represented. The 98 Rose Bowl would also be in the top 5 also because of what it represented. I was able to attend the 97 USC game. It might make my top 5 because it was 2 weeks in a row against the socal schools and thinking these guys might be pretty good. The 2002 SC that someone just mentioned in another thread was exciting and featured 2 good teams that ended up as really good teams. I didnt attend the Gameday Oregon game but I suspect that would up there for many people. Before my time I can think of 2 possible games that might make other people's top 5 games: the 82? AC when Nelson missed the FG and the Cougs kept UW from the Rose Bowl. I would also think think the UCLA 17-17 tie would be highly ranked. I believe it was their 1st time in Pullman and I believe it was on ABC only because I remember watching it. The Holiday Bowl's dismantling of a blueblood program might garner votes from others.

There have been exciting games, like the Tony Pole AC, but the games I listed were, I think, important games with meaning. I'm trying to guard against recency bias but this might have been one of the top 5 Coug games I've been to. It wasn't the prettiest game, the most exciting, the best teams, but the context of the game and the victory made it really special. It was the biggest non conference program to ever visit Pullman (hats off to Wisconsin for not trying to back out), the surprising and abrupt news just over a month ago, the fact nobody wants us, etc. The win was a big FU to college football. The storming of the field and playing of Back Home was really cool to see. After the game we stopped at Arby's on the way out of town. It was different than going after a win over ASU or Cal or even UW. It was kind of quiet but everybody was smiling and probably standing a bit taller.

So until I can think of another game I attended I will say that this is a top 5 Cougar game I've been to.

What would be your top 5?

I'll bite. In no particular order - and these are games I attended.

82 Apple Cup
88 Apple Cup
1997 UCLA game
2002? USC Rein Long game.
Gameday. Although I could not get a ticket, had to watch much of it in the RV lot then snuck in for most of the 2nd half.

Great memories. Gotta get back there.

Yesterday was one of the best games and experiences I’ve ever attended at Martin.

My top 5 (not in any order) I've attended:

1. 2002 USC, (Triple Overtime, Drew Dunning Kick)
2. 2018 Oregon (GameDay)
3. 2023 Wisconsin (Big 10 Opponent)
4. 1992 Snow Bowl Apple Cup (Bledsoe)
5. 1997 Apple Cup (Ryan Leaf)

Last edited:
One of the best games and experiences I’ve ever attended in Martin Stadium.

My top 5 (not in any order):

2. 2018 Oregon (GameDay)
4. 1992 Snow Bowl Apple Cup (Drew Bledsoe)
Oh shit I forgot about the snow bowl. Damn dementia. So that's #6 for me. That one game in 1983(?) where we beat USC and Rodney Peet 34=14 was a good one. Hot day.

My Favorite/Top 5 attended...

5) Leon Bender fUCLA 1997
4) Apple Cup 2012
3) Boise State 2017
2) Apple Cup 1988
1) Apple Cup 2008

Yep, the list of exciting PAC conference games is long but, hands down this was the #1 Home Non-conference game in Pullman EVER!

Not sure how it can be any other game, honestly.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
2023 wiscy win at home, if it's not worthy of consideration for top 5, it would be worthy of consideration of top 7, and absolutely a top 10 game.

Even tho I haven't been to those top games, my top 5 would be

98 Rosebowl

2002 USC

82 Apple Cup

92 Snowbowl Apple Cup

TIE: 2023 Wiscy win at home, and 2018 GameDay Oregon win

If no tie allowed, then Gameday at #5, and 2023 Wiscy is #6

#7 would be 1988 Apple Cup

#8 would be 1988 win vs #1 UCLA

#9 1997 UCLA

#10 2003 Holiday Bowl Texas

11 2017 USC

12 1981 Holiday Bowl

13 2018 Alamo Bowl

14 1992 Copper Bowl

15 1994 Alamo Bowl

16 1988 Aloha Bowl

2023 wiscy win at home, if it's not worthy of consideration for top 5, it would be worthy of consideration of top 7, and absolutely a top 10 game.

Even tho I haven't been to those top games, my top 5 would be

98 Rosebowl

2002 USC

82 Apple Cup

92 Snowbowl Apple Cup

TIE: 2023 Wiscy win at home, and 2018 GameDay Oregon win

If no tie allowed, then Gameday at #5, and 2023 Wiscy is #6

#7 would be 1988 Apple Cup

#8 would be 1988 win vs #1 UCLA

#9 1997 UCLA

#10 2003 Holiday Bowl Texas

11 2017 USC

12 1981 Holiday Bowl

13 2018 Alamo Bowl

14 1992 Copper Bowl

15 1994 Alamo Bowl

16 1988 Aloha Bowl
why stop at 16? top 25?

Yesterday was one of the best games and experiences I’ve ever attended at Martin.

My top 5 (not in any order) I've attended:

2. 2018 Oregon (GameDay)
4. 1992 Snow Bowl Apple Cup (Bledsoe)
The ‘97 Apple Cup was not in Martin.

‘92 AC
2018 Oregon
2002 USC
2017 USC

A handful tie for #5: 88 apple cup, I think it was ‘03 Oregon, ‘97 UCLA.

This was meaningful more because of the realignment mess than the actual game. And at this point we have zero idea if it has any wider significance.

The ‘97 Apple Cup was not in Martin.

‘92 AC
2018 Oregon
2002 USC
2017 USC

A handful tie for #5: 88 apple cup, I think it was ‘03 Oregon, ‘97 UCLA.

This was meaningful more because of the realignment mess than the actual game. And at this point we have zero idea if it has any wider significance.
2002 Fusc was golden

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT