ADVERTISEMENT

Travell Harris

People need to look past the surface. Yes, this offense gets yards and points. But look closer:
Their numbers are skewed much higher at home. They don’t perform near as well in the road.
Between the O and special teams, they give the opponent great field position an astonishing percentage of the time. Even a good D is going to give up points when you give the opponent a 30-50 yard field, and we don’t have a good D.
Offensive numbers are really good on 1st & 2nd down. We suck on 3rd. For the season we convert on 3rd down less than 40% of the time. That’s bad. It leads into some of the short fields mentioned above.
We’re one dimensional because we refuse to run, and then that dimension is limited because we only throw to the right. It’s really surprising how successful we are when you consider that.
As bad as this D is, they need to have 80yards behind them as much as possible, and they can’t affect that. Instead they’re repeatedly left with short fields to defend...and a unit that gives up an average of 20 yards per completion to Stanford’s backup QB isn’t going to defend a short field.
You make some good points, but I find your timing odd. We just came off a victory in which a lot of the things you complain about were not a problem. We were 9-13 on third down, Borghi was able to run the ball 15 times for 111 yards (didn't refuse to run), AG spread the ball around with 6 different receivers getting at least 4 catches, I don't recall that our special teams gave Stanford any good field position. I know you are talking about the season in general, but I would think at least yesterday's game would warrant a positive comment, not the same criticisms we read after last week's game.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: mister noon
Yes, Bruiser, The Ghost and Sammy Moore were all really great plant an go types. I just am amazed how quickly Harris can get to full speed, he looks so effortless in doing so and sheds blocker with ease. He also has tremendous vision.

I think he returns a KO to the house against the Beavs!!

Reactions: CougInSpain
You make some good points, but I find your timing odd. We just came off a victory in which a lot of the things you complain about were not a problem. We were 9-13 on third down, Borghi was able to run the ball 15 times for 111 yards (didn't refuse to run), AG spread the ball around with 6 different receivers getting at least 4 catches, I don't recall that our special teams gave Stanford any good field position. I know you are talking about the season in general, but I would think at least yesterday's game would warrant a positive comment, not the same criticisms we read after last week's game.

Glad Cougar
One game doesn’t mean it’s fixed. Especially against a team that has also struggled all season. And, as noted, our D still gave up 500+ to a backup QB...because our DBs are constantly playing with their back to the ball, and have no idea where it is.

Reactions: random soul
Huh ?

This year was the first time Herm’s ASU Staff played Leach & they gave up 498 yds of total offense & forced Zero turnovers in Tempe.

Utah beat WSU for the first time in last 5-yrs

What I mean is this... close to figuring out how to stop the scoring.... 500 yards did what in a losing effort??? See how they lined up with 2 DL??? They are close to figuring it out.

Utah gave up 1 touchdown. 1.

People need to look past the surface. Yes, this offense gets yards and points. But look closer:
Their numbers are skewed much higher at home. They don’t perform near as well in the road.
Between the O and special teams, they give the opponent great field position an astonishing percentage of the time. Even a good D is going to give up points when you give the opponent a 30-50 yard field, and we don’t have a good D.
Offensive numbers are really good on 1st & 2nd down. We suck on 3rd. For the season we convert on 3rd down less than 40% of the time. That’s bad. It leads into some of the short fields mentioned above.
We’re one dimensional because we refuse to run, and then that dimension is limited because we only throw to the right. It’s really surprising how successful we are when you consider that.
As bad as this D is, they need to have 80yards behind them as much as possible, and they can’t affect that. Instead they’re repeatedly left with short fields to defend...and a unit that gives up an average of 20 yards per completion to Stanford’s backup QB isn’t going to defend a short field.

Look past the surface by complaining about the offense in a game where we never punted?

We have a 5-5 team...

I’m in the middle, this offense is good but at one point last night we had 400 yards and 19 points. Gordon isn’t without criticism and Leach certainly isn’t. To Biggs point UW does the same shit every year and Leach and our QBs continue to bang their heads against the wall and not make changes to adapt (granted I think we’d have put 35+ on them last year without the weather). Cal does the same thing and we saw how that turned out too.

That's kind of an odd way to phrase an argument. Only 19 points on 400 yards? So, they drove the entire length of the field 4 times, scored 3 TDs and turned it over once. Ok, so they weren't perfect.

Also odd complaint in a game we ended up scoring 49.

That’s what Biggs wanted. Fire the ST coach. Miss Bianca didn’t even know that Harris was second in the PAC-12 at the time.

And of course you come in with an imponderable. Rather than complimenting the offense for zero punts, you use that to question the punt coverage.

My bad, I thought we were talking specifically about the special teams coach. If we were talking about the entire staff in general I would get your point, but we were talking about the special team coach and that is what I commented on.

That's kind of an odd way to phrase an argument. Only 19 points on 400 yards? So, they drove the entire length of the field 4 times, scored 3 TDs and turned it over once. Ok, so they weren't perfect.

Here is the conundrum. If you put up 42 WSU will probably go 9-3 or 10-2 with our defense

Your best recruits year in and year out are on the offensive side of the ball. Add to the fact we often go for 4 and 2 or less, and we are not afraid to do it near the 50, that is added pressure.

That being the case, of course your offense will be under more scrutiny if it isn't as efficient. And AG puts up great numbers but three teams can shut this offense down. So in those games we better have a more accomplished defense.

I don't care if he is 5 yards deep in the endzone...he should be running everything back. He is ELECTRIC! In my 30 year of watching Cougar football I can't remember a "plant and go" type of player with his acceleration. Not to mention he is very strong and extremely elusive. We need to get him more touches on offense. Wildcat, fly sweeps, jail brake screens, etc. He is a difference maker.

Go back to circa 1992 and put number 24 on Harris. Similar footwork, similar acceleration and cutting ability.

My bad, I thought we were talking specifically about the special teams coach. If we were talking about the entire staff in general I would get your point, but we were talking about the special team coach and that is what I commented on.

Do you know what day it is?

It’s something Ive wondered about to. Not every drive is gonna be 75-100 yards.

Maybe a better statistic is how many drives you score on?

49 points on 500 yards of offense isnt unreasonable. Scoring less would be an eye raising issue. Scoring more wouldnt surprise me.

Easy answer. Gordon’s not looking for him. He’s on the left side too much, and Gordon rarely looks that way.
Plus, Arconado and Winston are Gordon’s targets. If they’re not open, he dumps to Borghi. If he can’t do that, he starts to panic, and he flushes. To his right.

Still want to see the distribution chart for Gordon’s throws this season. Saw one for a game a few weeks ago and it strongly supported my season-long assertion that Gordon only plays on half the field.

I looked up our stats for this year and we have 7 receivers with 30+ catches through 10 games. Rodrick Fisher has 19 catches so isn't likely to get there. projecting the current stats out to 13 games, you see the following results:

Winston (Z): 77
Borghi (RB): 68
Arconado (Y): 66
Patmon (Z): 49
Bell (H): 43
Harris (H): 40
Martin (X): 40
Fisher (X): 25
McIntosh (RB): 10

Last year, here was the distribution for the season (7 receivers with 30+ catches through 13 games):

Williams (RB): 83
Martin (X): 69
Patmon (Z): 61
Borghi (RB): 53
Winston (Z): 52
Calvin (Y): 42
Sweet (Y): 33
Harris (H): 27
Jackson (X?): 26
Bell (H): 20

Breaking it into the different positions, you see the following:

X: 95
Y: 75
H: 47
Z: 113
RB: 136

X: 65
Y: 115
H: 83
Z: 126
RB: 78

The numbers above do support the idea that Gordon likes the middle of the field and the right side of the field more than Minshew did. This listing obviously doesn't factor in the location of the catch and that is flawed in itself. If one thing jumps out more than anything else, it's that the supposition that Gordon is always dumping the ball in the flat is a falsehood. For the talk of Tay Martin getting ignored, the running back position is the spot that's seen the largest drop in touches this year. The X spot is definitely not getting as much love as last year though.

Whine, whine, whine.

That is interesting . Were posters whining when they said Harris reminded them of Sammy Moore ? He has a unique acceleration and ability cut full speed that someone like Broussard did not . He reminds me of hunter more than anyone . Sorry that bothers you somehow

I looked up our stats for this year and we have 7 receivers with 30+ catches through 10 games. Rodrick Fisher has 19 catches so isn't likely to get there. projecting the current stats out to 13 games, you see the following results:

Last year, here was the distribution for the season (7 receivers with 30+ catches through 13 games):

The numbers above do support the idea that Gordon likes the middle of the field and the right side of the field more than Minshew did. This listing obviously doesn't factor in the location of the catch and that is flawed in itself. If one thing jumps out more than anything else, it's that the supposition that Gordon is always dumping the ball in the flat is a falsehood. For the talk of Tay Martin getting ignored, the running back position is the spot that's seen the largest drop in touches this year. The X spot is definitely not getting as much love as last year though.

Take a peek at attempts and completions to the left 1/3 of the field and also look at his completions percentage when AG is on the move .

The dropoff at RB is because McIntosh as #2 is a big dropoff from Borghi at #2. And if you adhere to the philosophy of even distribution to all five ball carriers, the RBs were getting the ball too much in 2018 (and years prior years too). I'm assuming your numbers are receptions only?

That is interesting . Were posters whining when they said Harris reminded them of Sammy Moore ? He has a unique acceleration and ability cut full speed that someone like Broussard did not . He reminds me of hunter more than anyone . Sorry that bothers you somehow

You've had four years of bowl games to store up all your whining. Now that we're at a .500 record you and Biggs and the other whiners that can't handle success have decided to unleash your whining. You're a whiner. You know it. I know it. Everyone else knows it too.

You've had four years of bowl games to store up all your whining. Now that we're at a .500 record you and Biggs and the other whiners that can't handle success have decided to unleash your whining. You're a whiner. You know it. I know it. Everyone else knows it too.

Yes I have whined a ton. Don't believe I was the one that after the PSU game thought we should have a plan for a new coach. I have never wavered Leach would be successful.

Also, I have been through way more losing seasons than winning ones, and my support and commitment has never changed or wavered.

And it was last year I felt we would be .500 or below, that was my expectation, so no I am not "whining" about being .500.

And let me amend the part about whining. Yeah, I guess I have after the Apple Cup blow outs and said I would almost rather see an Apple Cup win and a losing season.

And sorry that you are so unhinged in a comparison of players I picked Tory Hunter as a player Harris reminds me of.

And to your whining question, if stating something pretty obvious, we need better CB play is whining in analyzing why we aren't keeping UCLA below 67, ASU below 38 then I guess I am guilty as charged.

Never once have I ever put leach on a hot seat. Never have I said a DC should be fired.

Yes I have whined a ton. Don't believe I was the one that after the PSU game thought we should have a plan for a new coach. I have never wavered Leach would be successful.

Also, I have been through way more losing seasons than winning ones, and my support and commitment has never changed or wavered.

And it was last year I felt we would be .500 or below, that was my expectation, so no I am not "whining" about being .500.

And let me amend the part about whining. Yeah, I guess I have after the Apple Cup blow outs and said I would almost rather see an Apple Cup win and a losing season.

And sorry that you are so unhinged in a comparison of players I picked Tory Hunter as a player Harris reminds me of.

And to your whining question, if stating something pretty obvious, we need better CB play is whining in analyzing why we aren't keeping UCLA below 67, ASU below 38 then I guess I am guilty as charged.

Never once have I ever put leach on a hot seat. Never have I said a DC should be fired.

Instead you just insist that players were sprayed with a hose in subfreezing temperatures when weather data shows that wasn't true. Instead you whine Travell Harris is not playing CB. But at least you're honest enough to admit that you prefer losing and winning the AC over a winning season. You prefer losing and can't handle success. Embrace who you are.

And you don't know what unhinged means.

Instead you just insist that players were sprayed with a hose in subfreezing temperatures when weather data shows that wasn't true. Instead you whine Travell Harris is not playing CB. But at least you're honest enough to admit that you prefer losing and winning the AC over a winning season. You prefer losing and can't handle success. Embrace who you are.

And you don't know what unhinged means.

I don’t believe I have ever said Harris should play cb, but since you bring it up he does have the footwork for it . And the acceleration .
I have shown at least one day that year in September , I believe it was the 12th it got that cold in the am. Oh, I think even if you call it a whine , it was seven years ago. You bring it up, not me . Hell there are people on this board who have been married and divorced twice in that time span.

And btw the s and c coach had zip to do with leach . So I fail to see your point .

I don’t believe I have ever said Harris should play cb, but since you bring it up he does have the footwork for it . And the acceleration .
I have shown at least one day that year in September , I believe it was the 12th it got that cold in the am. Oh, I think even if you call it a whine , it was seven years ago. You bring it up, not me . Hell there are people on this board who have been married and divorced twice in that time span.

And btw the s and c coach had zip to do with leach . So I fail to see your point .

How may times in this thread have you said that Harris has the footwork, etc. to play corner? What is that other than whining about him not playing corner?

How may times in this thread have you said that Harris has the footwork, etc. to play corner? What is that other than whining about him not playing corner?

I don't believe I have used Harris name regarding playing corner on the board. I have said there is a receiver who has the footwork to play corner, I don't believe I have called him out by name, but since you mentioned it, I would agree he does have the footwork to play corner. Does he have the temperament?

To be more blunt, I have said that the one area in recruiting that needs to be lifted and should be easier than getting d or olineman is corner.

And BTW, I actually got to watch Jalen T yesterday and he may be the best safety to come out of WSU since Lamont. It is too bad we don't have him this year. He would have helped in the UCLA game.

I don't believe I have used Harris name regarding playing corner on the board. I have said there is a receiver who has the footwork to play corner, I don't believe I have called him out by name, but since you mentioned it, I would agree he does have the footwork to play corner. Does he have the temperament?

This is extraordinarily dumb, even for you.

"Go back to circa 1992 and put number 24 on Harris. Similar footwork, similar acceleration and cutting ability."

-CougEd

This is extraordinarily dumb, even for you.

"Go back to circa 1992 and put number 24 on Harris. Similar footwork, similar acceleration and cutting ability."

-CougEd
Yeah...and your point? Did Hunter not return kicks? I didn't know Sammy Moore, Harrison, Brusier all played the same position. It sure seemed like a convo about cutting ability, and something Hunter showed when returning kicks, in which BTW was the subject of this thread.

Is today national nanny day?

Last edited:
Easy answer. Gordon’s not looking for him. He’s on the left side too much, and Gordon rarely looks that way.
Plus, Arconado and Winston are Gordon’s targets. If they’re not open, he dumps to Borghi. If he can’t do that, he starts to panic, and he flushes. To his right.

Still want to see the distribution chart for Gordon’s throws this season. Saw one for a game a few weeks ago and it strongly supported my season-long assertion that Gordon only plays on half the field.
Give me a break...
2018 vs 2019 catches by receiver position thru 10 games:
Z Receiver: 2018-97, 2019-113
Y Receiver: 2018-58, 2019-60
X Receiver: 2018-71, 2019-59
H Receiver: 2018-40, 2019-71
RB: 2018 Williams-63, 2019 Borghi-60
Very similar 2018 to 2019... just saying

Why are you being so coy about it?

Why are you being so coy about it?

About Harris and his footwork? I amd not. Just so you know, i didn't pick Hunter because he was a DB, but rather how they ran. The fact he returned kicks like Harris. Their feet are never far from the ground,l how they accelerate. Hunter played WR in high school and could have played it WSU. I would never compare Harris to Bruiser. He didn't have the ability Harris has to cut, change direction.

I never saw Bernard ever play, so I can't make that comparison. I always thought it was the Ghosts vision that made him.

About Harris and his footwork? I amd not. Just so you know, i didn't pick Hunter because he was a DB, but rather how they ran. The fact he returned kicks like Harris. Their feet are never far from the ground,l how they accelerate. Hunter played WR in high school and could have played it WSU. I would never compare Harris to Bruiser. He didn't have the ability Harris has to cut, change direction.

I never saw Bernard ever play, so I can't make that comparison. I always thought it was the Ghosts vision that made him.

***I saw Bernard play and he WAS special. RB at WSU, DB in the pros. Think it was Denver. The comparison that comes to mind for BJ is Barry Sanders, both had the ability to just make these incredibly amazing quick cuts. Obviously their body types were dissimilar, with BJ being quite lean and Barry very compact, but their cutting ability was outstanding.

I actually got to watch Jalen T yesterday and he may be the best safety to come out of WSU since Lamont.

Well, Thompson wasn't better than this guy at WSU, so he's got to put in 9 better years in the NFL to accomplish your claim.

175px-Erik_Coleman1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT