ADVERTISEMENT

UCF National Champs

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
I love this, I assumed something like this would happen after they defeated Auburn, I thinks it's great for college football. Right now we have a playoff from just 3 conferences, 2 SEC teams, and 2 other conference champs. Need to move it to 8 or 16 IMO, and having an undefeated team like UCF, helps move it in that direction. They defeated Auburn, keep in mind Auburn defeated Alabama and Georgia during the course of the regular season.

DSlaJ_dU8AEoUnD_z4j6p0.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the obsession with the playoffs but since we seem committed to it I don't understand the reluctance to go to an 8 team playoff. No system eliminates arguments but a system that takes the 5 top league champions--the best champion from the other conferences and two at large teams would eliminate most of the major arguments. This year that would have left us with:
UCF v. Clemson
Oklahoma v. Penn St
USC v. Georgia
Alabama v. Ohio St.

All of those would have been interesting games and eliminated the cry of those with the best case against being left out. Adding these games right before Christmas would still allow for the final 4 on New Year's Day and the championship game a week later like it is now.

I love this, I assumed something like this would happen after they defeated Auburn, I thinks it's great for college football. Right now we have a playoff from just 3 conferences, 2 SEC teams, and 2 other conference champs. Need to move it to 8 or 16 IMO, and having an undefeated team like UCF, helps move it in that direction. They defeated Auburn, keep in mind Auburn defeated Alabama and Georgia during the course of the regular season.

UCF played 2 FCS teams this year for what it’s worth.

They're having fun, drawing attention to their school and, contrary to Paul Finebaum's opinion, not really hurting anybody or anything. Does anyone really think they are legitimate national champions? Let them have their fun. I'm all for it if for no other reason than it will put some pressure on the NCAA to expand the playoff format.

If Scott Frost can take UCF from 0-12 to this...... Wow. Lots of eyes, including mine, will be on Nebraska during the next few seasons.

They're having fun, drawing attention to their school and, contrary to Paul Finebaum's opinion, not really hurting anybody or anything. Does anyone really think they are legitimate national champions? Let them have their fun. I'm all for it if for no other reason than it will put some pressure on the NCAA to expand the playoff format.

If Scott Frost can take UCF from 0-12 to this...... Wow. Lots of eyes, including mine, will be on Nebraska during the next few seasons.

The NCAA doesn't sanction the CFB playoff. It's the only college sport that isn't an actual NCAA championship. It's completely made up by the conference powers and media (ESPN). Rules compliance is the only thing the NCAA touches in regard to football. I think UCF has as much right to claim it as all those claiming suspect titles in the past. Even Alabama has 1 or 2 of those suspect claims in their past history.

The NCAA doesn't sanction the CFB playoff. It's the only college sport that isn't an actual NCAA championship. It's completely made up by the conference powers and media (ESPN). Rules compliance is the only thing the NCAA touches in regard to football. I think UCF has as much right to claim it as all those claiming suspect titles in the past. Even Alabama has 1 or 2 of those suspect claims in their past history.
Never too old to learn and this is something that I was unaware of. Always figured that the NCAA set the playoffs up. Thanks, gravy. I have learned a lot about college football since I retired and started spending more time on this blog mostly and some of the others a bit. This site is by far the best for people like me who want to learn more about the Cougs and college sports. Yes, the threads can wander off the track from time to time but overall you guys are the best. Happy New Year from me and a thank you for the learning lessons. Keep those facts and opinions coming and eventually the old fool will make the grade.

I like it.Of course the traditionalists will say they would not stand a chance against the Auburn s,or Alabama s of the football world.Screw the SEC and their monopolization of the media driven football ratings.

I like it.Of course the traditionalists will say they would not stand a chance against the Auburn s,or Alabama s of the football world.Screw the SEC and their monopolization of the media driven football ratings.
????????Uhhhh They Just beat Auburn

Reactions: Loyal Coug

Huh, I had not paid attention this (above)

UCF > Auburn>Alabama&Georgia. UCF are champs.
Reminds me of undefeated Nat'l champ (barf) BYU in what - 1981? 1984? But if I recall they didn't play a ranked team all year, including 6-5 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl

Never too old to learn and this is something that I was unaware of. Always figured that the NCAA set the playoffs up. Thanks, gravy. I have learned a lot about college football since I retired and started spending more time on this blog mostly and some of the others a bit. This site is by far the best for people like me who want to learn more about the Cougs and college sports. Yes, the threads can wander off the track from time to time but overall you guys are the best. Happy New Year from me and a thank you for the learning lessons. Keep those facts and opinions coming and eventually the old fool will make the grade.

Glad I could help it's an easy one to miss. Division 1A football is the only sport that doesn't have a sanctioned championship. As you probably know all of the other NCAA divisions have a championship playoff with many teams. Some people know and don't care, many others have no idea. I've never looked to see what year the other division went to the playoff. That's why it's been such a shi^&y popularity contest since the BCS was formed. I'm a broken record lately about this, but this is why I prefer the old Bowl system. At least then you had the conference champions set up to meet in the traditional bowl games every year. And I actual enjoyed the arguing over the AP and Coaches poll votes all off season. It kept the whole country engaged. Now there's every incentive to stack the deck within your conference so you guarantee your champion is in the top 4. Conference champ means nothing less now than ever. I love UCF doing this and they have as good an argument as a non power 5 is ever gonna have

Exactly if they beat Auburn,they had a good chance against the so called other big schools. The playoff system needs to be expanded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT