ADVERTISEMENT

Unleash

Very well done.

It looks like the idea of "neutral site" games is back on the table. Seattle game 2.0? I would only do a Seattle game if you can maximize revenue generation (i.e. Wisconsin).

For the sake of conversation, looking ahead, I think you could put a good Seattle game product on the field that would draw money.

Wisconsin would travel very well. Charge them $100/seat. Not sure about Houston, Colorado St., BYU or Utah State, but i would consider Wisconsin in Seattle to fill up Century Link field

I want Wisconsin in Pullman. Those Seattle games were brutal and I left the Rutgers game in 2014 vowing to never return.

Reactions: SDCoug
Yup, sign me up for a non-conference game in Seattle against an interesting opponent, such as: West Virginia, NCU, Iowa, or an SEC school...

Seattle seems like the most viable neutral-site alternative, although I think prior history shows that it's questionable whether that "provides pathways to greater revenue potential." That stadium is the only real alternative in the northwest, unless we're going to try to play on other campuses. Maybe we do like 2009(?) and play Notre Dame in Vegas or something...but the increased cost of leasing the facility and traveling might negate the revenue.

I read "Revenue maximization" as "we're going to nickel & dime everyone who comes near campus, and squeeze every existing donor until their eyes bleed." Actually, it's already starting.

I do like the mention of increasing concession options, although I'm not sure how they're going to incorporate food trucks at most venues. I still say they're overlooking an obvious revenue source by not having Ferdinand's in the stadium.

I continue to shake my head at the emphasis on "diversity," and object completely to the "we cannot be excellent without being diverse." Not true. You become excellent by putting the best people in the best position to succeed...not by making sure that you have an even mixing of skin tones and genders.

I like a lot of the community outreach ideas, and in particular the mention of including the other WSU campuses and their communities. This is an element that I think has been missing for 25 years. Much of Tri-Cities is barely aware that there's a campus here, and WSU marketing is practically non-existent. These are good goals. Problem is that looking at the list of names of the "team" members seems to show how invested in this idea they are. The entire planning committee is based in Pullman. All but one of their retreat participants is. And in all the various subcommittees, there are a grand total of 5 participants from other campuses - 2 from Spokane, 1 each from Vancouver, Everett, and Tri-Cities - none of whom are even in significant positions on their campuses, let alone in the system. This is pure window dressing. Token involvement which will allow them to say that all campuses were included, but not enough to actually give them any voice. My prediction is that little will change in the community outreach anywhere outside of Whitman county.

Like most campus strategic planning efforts, I expect that this is a feel-good exercise that will allow the committee members to pat each other on the back. A couple ideas will get preliminary efforts until another flavor of the month is identified, and then the whole thing will get shoved onto a shelf to gather dust for a couple years, until someone decides to go through the whole exercise again.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
The Seattle game may or may not suck with a good opponent, BUT the reality is that WSU will never get a Ohio State, etc, to travel to play WSU, UNLESS its at, Seattle, and maybe not even then, so maybe moot point.

So if going to have a Seattle game, use it to schedule Ohio State Types, and Hope Ohio State does come to Seattle. And if they do, AWESOME.

Also, altho Seattle game may not be ideal, the Seattle Area has a FREAKING HUGE WSU FAN BASE, that probably would show up, fill up the Seattle Game, turn it into a Home Game, IF IT WAS OHIO STATE, ETC.

So its the CLOSEST THING TO A WSU HOME GAME, IF A OHIO STATE TYPE, THAT A OHIO STATE TYPE MAY OR MAY NOT GO TO.

So that kind of Seattle Game is OK.

But should Try to Only schedule that type of Seattle Game, If WSU is CONSISTENTLY TRENDING, WINNING 9+ GAMES, HAS A TEAM, THAT CAN HANDLE, DEAL WITH SUCH A GAME.

If WSU cant handle, deal with such a Non Con game, it could either help semi wreck a WSU season, an or be the difference in what Bowl, if WSU goes to Alamo, Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, etc, bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT