ADVERTISEMENT

Utah expanding stadium

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
only 5,000 in additional seats, but guess where they will be:

"The project will feature premium seating in the south end zone, with terraces, loges and suites."

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/11/13/university-utah-trustees/

I don't see what it would hurt to have a couple of possible renderings of an end zone expansion out there to talk about. Maybe a lowball version that is just seats, and a highball version that is a little fancier. Although I don't really think that we need more luxury seating. But maybe I'm wrong. How about a section along the top that ties into the existing luxury seating - get the amenities of the premium seats at a lower cost?

Yeah I know. We have no money, we are in debt, the IPF comes first. The iron isn't hot enough to strike. A "Campaign for Athletics" would be stupid and too much work. Although I just don;t see any reason why Paul Allen's sister wouldn't want to donate $100 million or so of her brothers $20 billion estate to Cougar Football to honor him.

"The project will feature premium seating in the south end zone, with terraces, loges and suites."

I don't see what it would hurt to have a couple of possible renderings of an end zone expansion out there to talk about. Maybe a lowball version that is just seats, and a highball version that is a little fancier. Although I don't really think that we need more luxury seating. But maybe I'm wrong. How about a section along the top that ties into the existing luxury seating - get the amenities of the premium seats at a lower cost?

Yeah I know. We have no money, we are in debt, the IPF comes first. The iron isn't hot enough to strike. A "Campaign for Athletics" would be stupid and too much work. Although I just don;t see any reason why Paul Allen's sister wouldn't want to donate $100 million or so of her brothers $20 billion estate to Cougar Football to honor him.

As you look around the country, right around 50,000 seats is the sweet spot for stadium size for a lot of schools. Stanford, TCU, Minnesota, and Baylor all selected a stadium size around 50k when they built stadiums. Autzen Stadium is at 53,800 because the Ducks know that aren't going to consistently get more than that without watering down the profits. In my perfect world, WSU puts some luxury seats along the North side and adds a 2nd deck over the east endzone to get us around 42,500. Our relatively remote location doesn't justify a 50,000 seat stadium.

Reactions: wazzubruce
As you look around the country, right around 50,000 seats is the sweet spot for stadium size for a lot of schools. Stanford, TCU, Minnesota, and Baylor all selected a stadium size around 50k when they built stadiums. Autzen Stadium is at 53,800 because the Ducks know that aren't going to consistently get more than that without watering down the profits. In my perfect world, WSU puts some luxury seats along the North side and adds a 2nd deck over the east endzone to get us around 42,500. Our relatively remote location doesn't justify a 50,000 seat stadium.

In MY perfect world I would be King, have one of those cool red robes and the world would be so much better off. Until that happens, I argue no to anything on the North side. Way too expensive and I just don't think demand for more premium seats exists. I would be happy to see someone who knows more, or has actually been up in that rarified air, tell me different. But no, the cost would just be too much on the North side.

Second deck on the East side, bring it up all the way to the top of the reserved seats on both sides. That should take us to 40,000 (and maybe change). If you need more fancy seats, do something there. Or fill in that grassy knoll between the FOB and luxury boxes.

I think that Ohio State’s horseshoe is the closest thing to what we have (obviously on a much larger scale).

That seats 104k.

Obviously there is no way to support such a thing in Pullman but our model should be similar just smaller.

So balancing out both sides with an upper deck and premium should be our goal 1st on the north side. Then filling out the east side.

That to me would be best.

So basically mirror the south side on the north. Fill out the east side and you have basically a “mini horseshoe”.

The maximum seating capacity could be then probably 50-55k maybe 60.

But that’s it. There is no need to do anything else. It would look very sharp all the way around and be balanced and as others pointed out (Very loud).

I think that Ohio State’s horseshoe is the closest thing to what we have (obviously on a much larger scale).

That seats 104k.

Obviously there is no way to support such a thing in Pullman but our model should be similar just smaller.

So balancing out both sides with an upper deck and premium should be our goal 1st on the north side. Then filling out the east side.

That to me would be best.

So basically mirror the south side on the north. Fill out the east side and you have basically a “mini horseshoe”.

The maximum seating capacity could be then probably 50-55k maybe 60.

But that’s it. There is no need to do anything else. It would look very sharp all the way around and be balanced and as others pointed out (Very loud).

What parts of cost prohibitive and no demand don't you understand? Do you really think there another 2,000 WSU fans itching to pay premium luxury box/loge prices for North side seats? And it would be twice as expensive as the South side. At least.

And I don't know where you get 55-60K seats. The South side added I think 2,200.

What parts of cost prohibitive and no demand don't you understand? Do you really think there another 2,000 WSU fans itching to pay premium luxury box/loge prices for North side seats? And it would be twice as expensive as the South side. At least.

And I don't know where you get 55-60K seats. The South side added I think 2,200.

I think that in time there will be if we continue to do well, and with the eastern areas population growth (Spokane is now over 500k)
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/05/spokane-countys-population-passes-500000-mark-foll/

If the eastern area continues its 2% population growth annually we will be looking at an extra 500k in the eastern regional area by 2030 with a population total of 2 million for the area. That’s in 12 years.

Factoring in students +population growth filling a 50k stadium isn’t just possible. It’s probable.

There are many things that need to be upgraded before the stadium, but a 50k+ Martin stadium will be in the future.

I'd vote don't do anything until we raise enough for a North side expansion of some sort.

Most people don't want to drive 5+ hours to sit in an end zone seat. They want tickets between the 20's...

I've always advocated for a North side expansion that contained a section of premium club seats, a row of loge boxes, a single level of suites, and lastly if demand warrants it nose bleed "cheap seats" above the suite level. That should get us an additional 5k-7k in seating...

Instead of being a condescending douche, maybe try showing your work.

And the existing premium seating is all sold out, so if there is any kind of wait list, it is worth exploring.

Reactions: TZCoug84

We have premium seats. We give them away to students for practically nothing. I don't know if there's another school in the conference that puts their students between the 40s.

WSU needs to sell those seats for premium pricing before we consider adding seats.

We have premium seats. We give them away to students for practically nothing. I don't know if there's another school in the conference that puts their students between the 40s.

WSU needs to sell those seats for premium pricing before we consider adding seats.

Bench seats are not premium seats.

BRING BACK THE BLUE PORTAPOTTIES I SAY!!!

Those were the days:eek:

Instead of being a condescending douche, maybe try showing your work.

And the existing premium seating is all sold out, so if there is any kind of wait list, it is worth exploring.

Hey, be nice. I was not being a douche. Do you have work that shows that the premium seats are all sold out? Recall the little dust up where the Athletics employees were selling loge or suite tickets that they got for free? And in my first note I asked if anyone had better knowledge about the occupancy of the suites/loge. I think most or all were sold out as part of the initial deal, but there must be turnover of sorts. Regardless, I don't think that there are another 2,000+ people who are ready to shell out for suites and boxes. Someone has better insight, I'm all ears.

As for cost - the north side is what - 100 feet straight up to the top of the existing seats? You would have to cantilever the structure over the top of the stadium, not just plop it on solid ground like the South side. And bring in water and sewer and utilities straight up 100 feet. There is a reason Moos put the thing on the South side. And completely duplicate all the amenities. I don;t have to do a spreadsheet to back up the facts there.

Neat. How much does it cost to replace benches with seats?

Cheaper than expanding the stadium I assume?

I'm all for stealing another section from the students. But you have to put them someplace. Thus the endzone expansion. Basically building cheap seats cheap (remember the footings are already there) but paying for them with 40 yard line stolen student seats.

Don't think you can 'steal' more seats from students. They got hit with additional fees to build out the stadium -and I'm pretty sure the allocated seating was negotiated in.

But I'm old and that may have been PTSD from the first time they higher ups STOLE Section 25 and 26 from the students in the 80's.

Hey, be nice. I was not being a douche. Do you have work that shows that the premium seats are all sold out? Recall the little dust up where the Athletics employees were selling loge or suite tickets that they got for free? And in my first note I asked if anyone had better knowledge about the occupancy of the suites/loge. I think most or all were sold out as part of the initial deal, but there must be turnover of sorts. Regardless, I don't think that there are another 2,000+ people who are ready to shell out for suites and boxes. Someone has better insight, I'm all ears.

As for cost - the north side is what - 100 feet straight up to the top of the existing seats? You would have to cantilever the structure over the top of the stadium, not just plop it on solid ground like the South side. And bring in water and sewer and utilities straight up 100 feet. There is a reason Moos put the thing on the South side. And completely duplicate all the amenities. I don;t have to do a spreadsheet to back up the facts there.

I'm all for stealing another section from the students. But you have to put them someplace. Thus the endzone expansion. Basically building cheap seats cheap (remember the footings are already there) but paying for them with 40 yard line stolen student seats.

Don't be scurrred of the costs baby. All things in life are doable, maybe just not right now.

I am pretty sure the very first expansion idea was to do it on the north side. They did drawings etc and showed everyone. Got everyone excited. Then they figured out the soils over there weren’t going to support the weight of the structure without expensive piles etc. Then they changed to the south side because it was a lot more cost effective. That’s what my old mind remembers.

I am not a fan of the luxury seating we have. It’s too high up and far away from the field for my eyes, even with glasses. It’s expensive up there too.

I am pretty sure the very first expansion idea was to do it on the north side. They did drawings etc and showed everyone. Got everyone excited. Then they figured out the soils over there weren’t going to support the weight of the structure without expensive piles etc. Then they changed to the south side because it was a lot more cost effective. That’s what my old mind remembers.

I am not a fan of the luxury seating we have. It’s too high up and far away from the field for my eyes, even with glasses. It’s expensive up there too.

Then don't sit there.

But those seats are necessary if we want to generate as much revenue as possible so that we can remain as competitive as possible.

A few years before he left, Moos had told several people the next project would call for an east endzone structure with more suite boxes on top with either open-air club or GA seating on the deck below. It would add 7,000 to 10,000 more seats. The vantage from either upper level would be very good, he said, but that nothing would be pursued until all the current club and private box seats sold out for several years. I'm not sure that's happening.

Last edited:
A few years before he left, Moos had told several people the next project would call for an east endzone structure with more suite boxes on top with either open-air club or GA seating on the deck below. It would add 7,000 to 10,000 more seats. The vantage from either upper level would be very good, he said, but that nothing would be pursued until all the current club and private box seats sold out for several years. I'm not sure that's happening.

Thanks, and there you go. Pretty much what I've been saying all the way down the line, and I didn't even know that Moosey Moos stole my ideas. :rolleyes:

And to reply to another poster, yes the original plan was to do the luxury boxes on the North side. And I have no idea why the South side was not the plan all along. Perhaps they assumed it couldn't be done with the IT building right there. No idea.

Don't think you can 'steal' more seats from students. They got hit with additional fees to build out the stadium -and I'm pretty sure the allocated seating was negotiated in.

But I'm old and that may have been PTSD from the first time they higher ups STOLE Section 25 and 26 from the students in the 80's.

So then move them. Last I checked, we have the largest student section percentage wise, which I get AND we give them the best seats in the conference. Move them into the other end zone.

I do not understand this reasoning, Yaki. (Not yours but Moos's.) End zone seating is not prime. Why someone would want to shell out the big bucks to sit in the end zone far removed from the field is beyond me. Suites, club seating above the north stands, O.K., but the end zone? "A good vantage" as per Moos? Uh, no. I don't see the reasoning.

I am no civil engineer or architect but the current north stands are there, seated on that area of questionable soil, as are Bohler and the Fieldhouse. If they wanted to expand the north stands with another level then I am sure that they could find a way to do it. Yes, it might be difficult, expensive and involve some pretty deep pilings but it could be done.

As far as your final comment, I would not be surprised if the current suite/club seating is sold out. Tried to buy a few single game club seats a couple of years ago but was informed that none were available as season tickets had filled up that section. Chun might be well advised to be cautious and wait a couple more years before expansion, especially considering our current financial difficulties, prior to starting any increase in Martin's seating capacity.

So then move them. Last I checked, we have the largest student section percentage wise, which I get AND we give them the best seats in the conference. Move them into the other end zone.

The obvious place to move them is both sides of the horseshoe on the west side the field. From about section 3 through the end zone over to section 29.

I do not understand this reasoning, Yaki. (Not yours but Moos's.) End zone seating is not prime. Why someone would want to shell out the big bucks to sit in the end zone far removed from the field is beyond me. Suites, club seating above the north stands, O.K., but the end zone? "A good vantage" as per Moos? Uh, no. I don't see the reasoning.

I am no civil engineer or architect but the current north stands are there, seated on that area of questionable soil, as are Bohler and the Fieldhouse. If they wanted to expand the north stands with another level then I am sure that they could find a way to do it. Yes, it might be difficult, expensive and involve some pretty deep pilings but it could be done.

As far as your final comment, I would not be surprised if the current suite/club seating is sold out. Tried to buy a few single game club seats a couple of years ago but was informed that none were available as season tickets had filled up that section. Chun might be well advised to be cautious and wait a couple more years before expansion, especially considering our current financial difficulties, prior to starting any increase in Martin's seating capacity.

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) when the students passed that fee that lead to the bathroom and concession stand improvements in the mid 2000s, footings or something were placed for luxury suites on the north side.

Again, I could be totally wrong.

Reactions: kayak15
If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) when the students passed that fee that lead to the bathroom and concession stand improvements in the mid 2000s, footings or something were placed for luxury suites on the north side.

Here's a rendering.

wsu_martinstadium_addition_big.jpg

I was under the same impression that the footings for the rendering above were poured as part of the concession and bathroom improvements.

Reactions: kayak15
I was under the same impression that the footings for the rendering above were poured as part of the concession and bathroom improvements.
That is another thing that I did not know. Glad to hear it. Thanks, guys. So we're all set. All that is left is the minor detail of raising the monies for the construction.

Well this is exactly what Utah is doing.

Another thing, and I haven't been to many stadiums - but all the big ones have a butt load of end zone seats. Go look at Nebraska's stadium. They have more end zone seats than WSU has total seats.

That is another thing that I did not know. Glad to hear it. Thanks, guys. So we're all set. All that is left is the minor detail of raising the monies for the construction.

I cold be wrong but I don't think this is correct. Footings in the end zone, yes. The North side, don't think so.

Here's a rendering.

wsu_martinstadium_addition_big.jpg

That's what we should do, as I have said before. Loge seating, club seats, and a single level of suites. I'd probably advocate for sightly more club seats or a section of nose bleed cheap seats.

Bang for buck. We are still at that stage. If we can get more bang for our buck, percentage wise, then do THAT, whatever THAT is.

My suspicion is, North side will bring in more money because the demand for those loge/luxury seats would bring in more money. There is more real estate on the North side, compared to the end zone, so more seats. But the cost is what might be the killer on that one.

In which case, go for the East side. I don't care. What generates more money?

The ever present rumors of the swamp over there and the need for serious footings has been around for ever. I remember back when CML was first hired we had this discussion. I went back and did some serious digging. The lake/pond that was back there (basically where the track is now), which everyone says is the center of the whole "Ground isn't good" thing, was actually a man-made pond. When they put the baseball field there, they just stopped feeding the pond and diverted the creek down the hill via underground pipe. So if the ground isn't conducive to building, it isn't because of the pond that was back there. They made the pond, then they got rid of the pond. Ground still might be bad for building but not because of body of water that was back there.
Cool reading here.
http://wsm.wsu.edu/ourstory/index.php?title=Vanished_places:_Silver_Lake_and_the_Tanglewood

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT