ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting insights about Chun from Ian, on the Baldfaced truth...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Starts at the 51 minute mark.

The relationship with his coaches was terrible. He wasn't supportive and didn't communicate to them. Wasn't accessible.

Perhaps, Chun jumped ship. The way Schulz could force him out is say we can't afford your current salary....give him the choice.

Good find D-Gibb.

Like the Observer implied in another thread, Chung leaving seems like addition by subtraction.

Starts at the 51 minute mark.

The relationship with his coaches was terrible. He wasn't supportive and didn't communicate to them. Wasn't accessible.

Perhaps, Chun jumped ship. The way Schulz could force him out is say we can't afford your current salary....give him the choice.
How in the hell Canzano got a radio gig is beyond me - his voice is beyond grating.

Second - this is all hearsay. None of the coaches are talking to Canzano or Furness. But it sure feels good to burn Chun down on his way out the door.

Lastly - to expand on JM's statement - Chun is the JDL of Deon Burnetts.

How in the hell Canzano got a radio gig is beyond me - his voice is beyond grating.

Second - this is all hearsay. None of the coaches are talking to Canzano or Furness. But it sure feels good to burn Chun down on his way out the door.

Lastly - to expand on JM's statement - Chun is the JDL of Deon Burnetts.
Podcast. And yeah, he's got a voice for print.

Interesting listen. Furness did a good job explaining the Coug Nation state of pissed off

I’m probably more angry about losing Jen Greeney than anything else - and I’ve watched exactly zero Coug volleyball games in my life. Chun must have been a real piece of work for a Coug legend to go elsewhere.

Interesting listen. Furness did a good job explaining the Coug Nation state of pissed off

I’m probably more angry about losing Jen Greeney than anything else - and I’ve watched exactly zero Coug volleyball games in my life. Chun must have been a real piece of work for a Coug legend to go elsewhere.
Well according to Furness, Chun was nothing. No support of any sort, not even a conversation. How the hell does that even happen?

Reactions: ATACFD
I don't think Ian is going to report "hearsay"....I personally think people have shared with him the grievances of the staff under Chun. Whether those grievances are accurate, not sure.

I would also be curious how much involvement or oversight of things that Schulz personally has.

There's a thread at Brand X where some posters are saying Coach Etheridge might leave to coach ladies basketball somewhere else because (reading between the lines) Chun did a lousy job getting students to the games and attendance suffered as a result.

I don't think Ian is going to report "hearsay"....I personally think people have shared with him the grievances of the staff under Chun. Whether those grievances are accurate, not sure.

I would also be curious how much involvement or oversight of things that Schulz personally has.
They are accurate. He was widely thought of as an A-Hole within the building. Whether he was an “effective” AD or not is a different argument. He’s not paid to be everyone’s friend but it certainly raises eyebrows when someone is as disliked as he seemed to be. Part of the job is about connecting to people. If that many WSU employees thought he was a prick, I can’t imagine he made the best impression among our most capable supporters. Then again some people can turn it off and on depending on their audience.

I just have to say...if all of this is in fact the truth, UW will have some buyer's remorse in a few years.

He might be able to get away with this at UW....or he might be embarrassed by the reports and change his approach.

If he can set up a structure where he's spending his time at Big-10 meetings and national AD events, I'm sure that is the job he wants.

He might be able to get away with this at UW....or he might be embarrassed by the reports and change his approach.

If he can set up a structure where he's spending his time at Big-10 meetings and national AD events, I'm sure that is the job he wants.
Agree. There are really only 3 general ways this could go:

- Failure. Not a big surprise, given how many things are stacked against him. Even a guy whose staff loved him and who could really gin up a room of supporters would be facing a giant, uphill battle. Can Chun do either of these? If so, he has kept it hidden. In the event of failure (minor bowl every other year, or worse) he is gone in 3 - 4 years.
- Mediocrity. The real question is how long a bunch of 6-6 and 7-5 seasons with the occasional 8-4 (and generally 0.500 or worse overall league record) will keep him off the hot seat. I give him 4.5-5 years in this case.
- Success. Despite having the least money in the league and losing to Oregon more than he wins, his football teams manage to average 8-4 with the occasional 9-3 season. In this case he is poached within 3 years.

Long story short, unless there is a scandal (and remember, UW hushes up scandals better than any west coast team), he is there at least 3 years, but no more than 5. In the mean time, as ttown suggests, he is hitting the B10 meeting circuit hard and volunteering for every extra credit committee he can find.

I will never forgive him for his nazi interpretation in the firing of Rollo.....forcing people to take injections is straight out of insanity.....

I will never forgive him for his nazi interpretation in the firing of Rollo.....forcing people to take injections is straight out of insanity...s
You must not have kids. They are forced to get a polio vaccine and about six others jist to go to school and play sports. I imagjne everyone was trying ti keep the titanic afloat. What did wsu lose in 2020 by having games canceled...didnt the call off the Cal game fifteen minutes before kickoff?

I will never forgive him for his nazi interpretation in the firing of Rollo.....forcing people to take injections is straight out of insanity.....
Oh FFS do we really have to do this again? I’m with everyone who doesn’t like Chun but they were state employees. This was on Inslee not Chun.

And Rolo was well on his way to getting fired anyways for being dogshit as a football coach. Blows my mind how people want to make him a damn hero when he sucked at his job. Let it go.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Interesting, there are 2 things in this podcast, that if true, are very troubling and IMO the UW did us a huge favor taking him from us.

1. He hadn’t spoken to the very successful volleyball coach in 2 years. Jen thanked a lot of people on her way out the door, from Bill Moos, to Anne McCoy, but no mention of Chun, so it leads me to think there is some truth to this one.

2. His very successful basketball coach and other coaches found out about the WCC agreement on the internet just like you and me. You know the OSU AD communicated with his people, as their baseball team opted out.

A Boss can be a prick and still be successful if he communicates effectively and supports his people, sounds like Chun had trouble with both. Everyone always said he was going to Ohio St the minute he got the chance, well Ohio St just replaced their AD after the first of the year, Chun didn't even get an interview. He did interview with Kansas and Northwestern back in 2021, both of them passed, maybe they all knew something the UW didn't, but the UW was desperate, as their job is not as appealing as many others.

In the long run the WSU athletic department is far better off without Chun, provided they find a good replacement, and they are out there. To use this analogy: the UW just took our good looking shiny used car, off our hands, what they didn't know it is about to have some serious mechanical problems.

You’ve lurked around here long enough to know plenty of people wanted him gone. Like I said this isn’t the flex you think it is, he was not well liked in his own building. UW needs a unique leader to guide the department through a time where they’ll be the financial equivalent of the doormats in their conference for the next decade, a position UW is not familiar with. Maybe Chun is the right hire for that coming from WSU 🤷. We will see.

Interesting, there are 2 things in this podcast, that if true, are very troubling and IMO the UW did us a huge favor taking him from us.

1. He hadn’t spoken to the very successful volleyball coach in 2 years. Jen thanked a lot of people on her way out the door, from Bill Moos, to Anne McCoy, but no mention of Chun, so it leads me to think there is some truth to this one.

2. His very successful basketball coach and other coaches found out about the WCC agreement on the internet just like you and me. You know the OSU AD communicated with his people, as their baseball team opted out.

A Boss can be a prick and still be successful if he communicates effectively and supports his people, sounds like Chun had trouble with both. Everyone always said he was going to Ohio St the minute he got the chance, well Ohio St just replaced their AD after the first of the year, Chun didn't even get an interview. He did interview with Kansas and Northwestern back in 2021, both of them passed, maybe they all knew something the UW didn't, but the UW was desperate, as their job is not as appealing as many others.

In the long run the WSU athletic department is far better off without Chun, provided they find a good replacement, and they are out there. To use this analogy: the UW just took our good looking shiny used car, off our hands, what they didn't know it is about to have some serious mechanical problems.
I've had several marginal performers leave over the many years, and often I did not fully realize how marginal they were until they left. That is when people feel free to speak their mind. This certainly looks a lot like that kind of situation.

I've had several marginal performers leave over the many years, and often I did not fully realize how marginal they were until they left. That is when people feel free to speak their mind. This certainly looks a lot like that kind of situation.
Conversely - if marginal performers are put into positions of authority or allowed to underperform, excellent performers will be frustrated and leave.

I have found through the years, it all comes down to people and process. If the process (system/culture) is bad, it will hide the bad eggs or they will take advantage of jt.

Conversely - if marginal performers are put into positions of authority or allowed to underperform, excellent performers will be frustrated and leave.

I have found through the years, it all comes down to people and process. If the process (system/culture) is bad, it will hide the bad eggs or they will take advantage of jt.
The Peter Principle. Peter was a Coug.

I still maintain that they didn’t hire Chun for his abilities. They hired him for what he knows about our strategy, and how they can try to sabotage our inheritance of the PAC income and assets.

He’s going to be a poster boy for something I’ve thought about recently. Our old adage “once a coug, always a Coug” is no longer true. NIL and the portal have destroyed it.

One of my favorite side topics when ever giving a speech or address. And his Cougness is usually mentioned...
Do graduate degrees count? Of all the people I know that went to WSU, those that only got their graduate degrees at WSU very rarely consider themselves Cougs. In fact, I know of only 1 example of the hundreds I've met.

But perhaps L. J. Peters is an exception?

I think that’s true about a lot of schools. Your school is the undergrad school that was fun and the grad degree is just another school.

I still maintain that they didn’t hire Chun for his abilities. They hired him for what he knows about our strategy, and how they can try to sabotage our inheritance of the PAC income and assets.

He’s going to be a poster boy for something I’ve thought about recently. Our old adage “once a coug, always a Coug” is no longer true. NIL and the portal have destroyed it.
I really see no value to UW in what he knows about WSU. They so completely botched their betrayal, they left us relatively bullet proof when it comes to what we had left. And campaigning against us in the legislature has long been a habit (other than those few times they want something from us and offer a bit of quid pro quo), so that won't change with Chun. What probably will change is that Pat will probably have his nostrils inserted farther up Ana Mari's backside than his immediate predecessor, who didn't care for the smell and bolted.

I really see no value to UW in what he knows about WSU. They so completely botched their betrayal, they left us relatively bullet proof when it comes to what we had left. And campaigning against us in the legislature has long been a habit (other than those few times they want something from us and offer a bit of quid pro quo), so that won't change with Chun. What probably will change is that Pat will probably have his nostrils inserted farther up Ana Mari's backside than his immediate predecessor, who didn't care for the smell and bolted.
I didn’t say it was a good or effective strategy. And realistically, like you said, even if Chun gave them our whole roadmap, I’m not sure there’s anything they could do about it.

Udump can crash and burn in the big whatever 18. Chun too.
They will. They have a rude awakening coming. Rutgers and Indiana are better positioned than them financially FFS and don’t have to travel 3 time zones, with layovers for non rev sports, to play 80% of their schedule.

They are F’d. This is a cash grab for Chun. We have a lot of uncertainty ahead but I don’t envy UWs future.

I sincerely hope so.
uw is taking at least the following risks: (1) that the next TV contract will be enough to have make up for the half share: (2) that the B1G will continue to exist; (3) that uw will continue to be a member; and (4) that the B1G will continue to share revenue equally.

uw is a newcomer, middling school in the B1G, that has already agreed to take less than Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, etc. Number 4 is a significant risk.

uw is taking at least the following risks: (1) that the next TV contract will be enough to have make up for the half share: (2) that the B1G will continue to exist; (3) that uw will continue to be a member; and (4) that the B1G will continue to share revenue equally.

uw is a newcomer, middling school in the B1G, that has already agreed to take less than Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, etc. Number 4 is a significant risk.
Their costs are also substantially higher for travel. Not only real costs but hidden costs (huge challenge to overcome especially for non rev athletes flying commercial). They are going to have to make up that delta with revenue sports who are likely to perform at a mediocre level because of the financial disparity between them and their conference foes. In short, they are set up to fail, and they probably will.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT