ADVERTISEMENT

vs OSU

Rich Lewis

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2001
Very sluggish start. Excellent 2nd half. Thanks Oscar Cluff. Nothing he does looks pretty but he's sure effective.

Very sluggish start. Excellent 2nd half. Thanks Oscar Cluff. Nothing he does looks pretty but he's sure effective.
I look at Cluff differently. I like a lot of what he does. He has got very good footwork, a good basketball IQ, is a good passer, and has a soft touch. What he doesn't have is a great body, nor is he a great athlete. So, things that he does that really are pretty sometimes looks off.

Respectable win. Cluff could be the guy. Very frustrating we don't get more fan support at games. The city of Pullman, who by the way benefits greatly from WSU athletic, doesn't show great support.

Respectable win. Cluff could be the guy. Very frustrating we don't get more fan support at games. The city of Pullman, who by the way benefits greatly from WSU athletic, doesn't show great support.
Students still out of town, 8 pm game so very few people will travel any distance, city of 17,000. Not sure what you expect.

Students still out of town, 8 pm game so very few people will travel any distance, city of 17,000. Not sure what you expect.
It looked on TV that there maybe attendance was in the hundreds.

Expect:
1. More interest/support from the community than the Pullman Greyhounds basketball team.
2. WSU to be more creative (give away tickets) to create an atmosphere that gives our team a competitive edge.

Come on Rich, seriously, 2524 was the attendance. There are BTW 32,200 as of 2022 census estimate....bet there are more that 2500 grad students who didn't ever leave town.

I love this team, but they are hard to watch. It's a rock fight every game and, honestly, it's a crapshoot whether we will win or lose--especially in Pac 12 play. We need 9 more wins to perhaps make the tourney.

We need about 14 more wins. We have zero significant wins so far. When you barely beat OSU you go down in the rankings. This is at best a NIT team unless something dramaticly changes.

You're right they are tough to watch for sure.

Come on Rich, seriously, 2524 was the attendance. There are BTW 32,200 as of 2022 census estimate....bet there are more that 2500 grad students who didn't ever leave town.
17,000 of those 32,200 are students. I sit by a couple from LaCrosse and used to sit by people from Pomeroy. Do you think they're going to travel to an 8 pm game? If the 2,500 grad students who didn't show up that's a student problem not a Pullman problem. Pullman could be better for sure but don't dump on Pullman for being the attendance problem. I don't go to all games like I used to. TV is a big reason, but also I don't feel a strong attachment to the team beyond Jaki and maybe Rice. Maybe a lot of the blame should be based on the portal because you get a whole friggin new team every year.

Reactions: HCoug
Not dumping on Pullman at all. I think TV has changed attendance and you sure don't see me at games anymore at all. Students can do as they like, as can the athletic department, but sports in general at WSU are a big business and not a well run one at that. Cougars drew same miserable attendance for PVAM back in November when all 17,000 were there.

TV will be going away for the next 2 years in any case.

People were dumping on Spokane for the 5100 fans who came for the Boise State game. Well for the Pepperdine game they had 12000+ in the same facility. Guess the "marketing" arm of the Athletic Department is not doing as well at WSU as Gonzaga.

2200 people crowds mean to me you should play in Bohler.

We need about 14 more wins. We have zero significant wins so far. When you barely beat OSU you go down in the rankings. This is at best a NIT team unless something dramaticly changes.

The NIT has changed its selection process which personally I don’t agree with but it should favor Power conference mediocre teams

14 more wins would be 24 wins before PAC tourny, NCAA tourney.

20 wins is 50/50 bubble whether make NCAA.

If then add 1 or 2 wins in PAC tourney, that goes to 63% chance

21 wins is about 63% chance to make NCAA.

If get 1,2 wins in PAC 12 tourny, that goes to 73% chance

22 wins is about 73% chance.

If get 1,2 wins in PAC tourny that goes to about 83% chance.

23 wins is about 83% chance

1,2 PAC tourny wins, goes to 93% chance.

24 wins is 93% chance.

1,2 PAC tourny wins is 100% chance.

So at extreme minimum, 9 more wins 50/50:chance to make NCAA tourny.

10 more wins, plus 1 PAC tourny win or 11, 12 more wins, no PAC tourny wins, for about 21,22,23 wins, gets WSU in NCAA.

The PAC 12 record is strong enough, and WSU's NET right now is 40. If WSU wins 9,10 more +1 PAC tourny, their NET will go from 40 to 20 to 30. WSU was already at a NET of 28 earlier in non con. A NET of 20 to about 34, gets you into NCAA.

The problem, at least right now, is WSU's lack of 3 point shooting, and bad freethrow shooting.

While WSU's TITANIC line up is good against the Smaller line ups, and altho WSU out rebounds almost everyone and effectively scores inside, eventually that dries up.

It will dry up because if necessary teams will start to play BENNET ball PACK IT IN DEFENSE, which will make it so that have to score thru, over 5 players, standing under, around basket, protecting rim.

While WSU scoring inside is BETTER then previous year's smaller lineups that shot a LOT OF 3's, you still need to ACCURATELY shoot a couple, few 3's, midrange jumpers to loosen up the defense.

That means that you play inside out, score inside, then kick it out to outside, for wide open outside jumpers, that should have about a 49.5% chance of going in, and occasionally get fouled inside, and so should be able to shoot 69% to 73% as a team from the foul line, instead of 63% as a team from the foul line.

WSU is not shooting well enough from outside, and the foul line, and teams are playing pack it in defense, and daring WSU to shoot it from outside, or the Freethrow line.

WSU starts shooting better from outside, foul line, and WSU will look, be better, win more games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT