ADVERTISEMENT

Walden, Moos, etc redux

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
I started a new thread on this. A pox on me.

A recent comment on the other thread talked about Jim Walden's weightroom gift(s). So I meandered on over to the WSU Foundation website (link below). Lots of interesting information.

Benefactors: Cumulative gifts of $100-499,999.
Includes - Ryan Leaf, Drew Bledsoe, John Olerud, and......Jim Walden.
Other athletes too......

Guess what level Bill Moos is in?
Laureates (1 million-plus)? NO
Crimson Benefactor (500-999,000)? NO
Benefactor (100-499,999) NO
Heritage Society (50-99,999) NO

Oh but he and CML are in this year's President's Associates list (2,500-4,999). Thanks Bill, hoped you liked your $800K salary this last year.

As a footnote, former CPW doesn't appear anywhere.
Edit: And neither does Mike Price

https://foundation.wsu.edu/donors/

Last edited:
I started a new thread on this. A pox on me.

A recent comment on the other thread talked about Jim Walden's weightroom gift(s). So I meandered on over to the WSU Foundation website (link below). Lots of interesting information.

Benefactors: Cumulative gifts of $100-499,999.
Includes - Ryan Leaf, Drew Bledsoe, John Olerud, and......Jim Walden.
Other athletes too......

Guess what level Bill Moos is in?
Laureates (1 million-plus)? NO
Crimson Benefactor (500-999,000)? NO
Benefactor (100-499,999) NO
Heritage Society (50-99,999) NO

Oh but he and CML are in this year's President's Associates list (2,500-4,999). Thanks Bill, hoped you liked your $800K salary this last year.

As a footnote, former CPW doesn't appear anywhere.
Edit: And neither does Mike Price

https://foundation.wsu.edu/donors/

1.1 million donated the first week Leach walked in the door.

More than doubled CAF donations in 2013 from 2011
2015 CAF annual 6 million
and in 2017 total revenue spiked to $13.13 million up from 10 million previously.
500k for just the naming rights to his office. this year.

Leach / Moos brought in more money to WSU through donations than Jim Walden ever could and you know why?

BECAUSE THEY DID SOMETHING HE NEVER DID. PUT TOGETHER A WINNING PROGRAM,

(I love these Walden threads they give me plenty of opportunities to expose the charlatan of kook)

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
1.1 million donated the first week Leach walked in the door.
More than doubled CAF donations in 2013 from 2011
2015 CAF annual 6 million
and in 2017 total revenue spiked to $13.13 million up from 10 million previously.
500k for just the naming rights to his office. this year.

Leach / Moos brought in more money to WSU through donations than Jim Walden ever could and you know why?

BECAUSE THEY DID SOMETHING HE NEVER DID. PUT TOGETHER A WINNING PROGRAM,

(I love these Walden threads they give me plenty of opportunities to expose the charlatan of kook)

OK I am going to try one adult attempt to reason with you. Your endless posts about Walden are personal attacks against the man. How about you just give it a rest and stop the attacks. You have expressed your opinion (shared by pretty much no one else), plenty.

The fact that Jim Walden has personally given more than $100,000 to WSU Athletics is the point of this thread, and speaks to his affinity to the university. A personal monetary affinity not shared by Bill Moos or yet by CML, who got/get paid to bring in the monies that you refer to. Plain and simple. Apples to apples.

How about (again) you just stop your personal attacks against Jim Walden?

OK I am going to try one adult attempt to reason with you. Your endless posts about Walden are personal attacks against the man. How about you just give it a rest and stop the attacks. You have expressed your opinion (shared by pretty much no one else), plenty.

The fact that Jim Walden has personally given more than $100,000 to WSU Athletics is the point of this thread, and speaks to his affinity to the university. A personal monetary affinity not shared by Bill Moos or yet by CML, who got/get paid to bring in the monies that you refer to. Plain and simple. Apples to apples.

How about you stop with the trolling, attention-getting repeat of threads already on the board. Enough already.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

WE GAVE HIM THAT 100k. He owes us ALL the money we ever gave him + damages.

He deserves every single bit of the attacks. 0-10-1 coach sucked and will always suck. And no I don't think 100k is enough. He owes us every penny we ever gave him and more.

The CAF made $814,000 the week Moos walked out the door.

We were set to make that money anyway. What you don't understand is that people now gives that kind of money to WSU athletics BECAUSE of what moos made.

Walden didn't make SH*T for WSU.
Paul Wulff didn't either.

Both of them belong in the cougar hall of shame.

We were set to make that money anyway. What you don't understand is that people now gives that kind of money to WSU athletics BECAUSE of what moos made.

Walden didn't make SH*T for WSU.
Paul Wulff didn't either.

Both of them belong in the cougar hall of shame.

Moos' selection committee recommended Wulff.

Just say it. You'll feel better.

Cougatron,

Obviously, Coach Wullf's won-lost record wasn't what WSU's "powers that be" anticipated when he was hired after the 2007 season. I think we can all agree on that point.

But, in all fairness, if CPW had the same massive facilities improvements and greatly increased budget for assistant coaches that have been provided for CML, would we have seen different results from 2008 through 2011? That seems like a legitimate question.

Remember, CPW was pretty darn successful at Eastern Washington.

Let me add this, too.

I have heard more than one long-time Cougar Football fan say he felt Paul Wulff had one hand tied behind his back from 2008 through 2011 because the athletic department didn't want to open the purse strings and move WSU toward a level playing field in the Pac-12.

Just food for thought.

Cougatron,

Obviously, Coach Wullf's won-lost record wasn't what WSU's "powers that be" anticipated when he was hired after the 2007 season. I think we can all agree on that point.

But, in all fairness, if CPW had the same massive facilities improvements and greatly increased budget for assistant coaches that have been provided for CML, would we have seen different results from 2008 through 2011? That seems like a legitimate question.

Give. It. Up. Btw, he was 53-41 or whatever at Eastern, which already had an established program.
And he had one hand tied behind his back while at WSU? Now I know why opioids are a threat to this country.

The CAF made $814,000 the week Moos walked out the door.

People witheld donations to WSU Athletics because of their personal feelings toward Bill Moos?

If so, what were these people mad about?

Mr. Moos landed a future College Football Hall of Famer in Mike Leach.

How many active AD's can say as much?

And he had one hand tied behind his back while at WSU? Now I know why opioids are a threat to this country.

1. Did or did not facilities and staff salary budget affected Paul Wulff's chances for success at WSU?

2. Would Mike Leach have left Key West for Pullman if Bill Moos hadn't convinced him he would upgrade WSU's facilities and provide enough $$$ to hire the staff Leach wanted (not to mention the school-record $2.25M that CML himself was getting back in 2011)?

Cougatron,

Wulff took over a program at EWU that had been successful and kept it about the same. After Wulff left is when EWU became a top program with Beau Baldwin.

Wulff still would not have been very good, as he is just a mediocre coach. The cream rises to the top and he has sunk to the bottom. His career has gone down hill since he was fired at WSU despite given numerous chances.

1. Did or did not facilities and staff salary budget affected Paul Wulff's chances for success at WSU?

2. Would Mike Leach have left Key West for Pullman if Bill Moos hadn't convinced him he would upgrade WSU's facilities and provide enough $$$ to hire the staff Leach wanted (not to mention the school-record $2.25M that CML himself was getting back in 2011)?

Wulff sucking had the greatest affect on his success. He spent two seasons not putting a product on the field. His poor recruiting doomed him. The OL and to a lesser extent the DL were jokes.

The OL and to a lesser extent the DL were jokes.

Odd, because CPW was a pretty darn good offensive lineman himself.

I guess he and his staff prioritized addressing other shortcomings first before shoring up the Big Uglies.

Odd, because CPW was a pretty darn good offensive lineman himself.

I guess he and his staff prioritized addressing other shortcomings first before shoring up the Big Uglies.

No. He was not able to recruit linemen because he was a terrible recruiter.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Can we just agree that the “good” feelings most of us have toward Wulff was as a more than serviceable player. And as a coach not so much.

Can we just agree that the “good” feelings most of us have toward Wulff was as a more than serviceable player. And as a coach not so much.
What if Bledsoe came back as the HC and put up similar numbers. Would we hate Drew too?

Let me add this, too.

I have heard more than one long-time Cougar Football fan say he felt Paul Wulff had one hand tied behind his back from 2008 through 2011 because the athletic department didn't want to open the purse strings and move WSU toward a level playing field in the Pac-12.

Just food for thought.

He had a piss poor plan. He was out coached every week. He hired an awful staff. He has the personality of a brick.

He did have issues to overcome from the university and the mess he took over. I wouldn't deny him that.

He just isn't a good coach at the BCS level. Instead of pointing fingers at everyone else maybe he should point the finger and himself and be accountable?

He left 6 OL for Coach Leach. 4 of which were 260lbs or less. Does he know you need 5 to play? Simply embarrassing how bad he was as a coach. Piss poor management of a BCS roster and program. He will never coach at this level again.

God these Wulff threads suck. He was a bad coach. Terrible in fact, but that’s all there is.

Can’t believe how much thread time he still gets on here.

To be fair, I started this particular thread only to note that Jim Walden has donated more than $100,000 to WSU Athletics, in response to a couple of questions in that regard.

Which I am 99.999% certain is a lot more than anyone on this site has or ever will. And probably 10 times as much as 99% of the patrons of this site have or ever will.

That said, I am happy to move on to other topics. I'll be posting a Baynes update soon.

P.S. And speaking of financial support, some of us actually pay to support this particular site. So there. :eek:

God these Wulff threads suck. He was a bad coach. Terrible in fact, but that’s all there is.

Can’t believe how much thread time he still gets on here.
1. It is the off-season and LOI day & the boy watching threads got moved forward for the most part. ZERO info on the AD search has been leaked (which should be the main topic)
2. Wulff is the single biggest figure in Cougar athletics this millennium.
Wulff is the Rosetta Stone. Figure out how in the hell he happened (and could happen again) and you'll possibly figure out Cougar athletics.
His appeal is baffling - but it is there.
3. There wasn't a single "Wulff Must Go" column in 2008, 09, 10, 11 in the S-R, Brand X, Brand CC, P-I, Times etc. There were "this team is putting up historically bad results" articles but no direct finger pointing at the head coach.
4. Unlike most schools, the "smarks" (premium board and boosters) among the fanbase who generally are demanding the head of a coach were the biggest supporters. There were message board meltdowns AFTER wins ("see you haters, he is going to do it" etc)
30% of the fanbase STILL think he got a raw deal and/or wish he would come back.

Is it geographical? Pity? School colors? Racial and personal identity? Lost Cause? Adopted pet syndrome? Wrong guy at the right time?

It sure isn't apathy.

To be fair, I started this particular thread only to note that Jim Walden has donated more than $100,000 to WSU Athletics, in response to a couple of questions in that regard.

Which I am 99.999% certain is a lot more than anyone on this site has or ever will. And probably 10 times as much as 99% of the patrons of this site have or ever will.

That said, I am happy to move on to other topics. I'll be posting a Baynes update soon.

P.S. And speaking of financial support, some of us actually pay to support this particular site. So there. :eek:

I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters? Who cares how much he donated? All that means is he likes the university. What is that supposed to prove? I don't hate or love Walden, but I can see why people got pissed with his antics regarding Wulff.

Why do people hold onto the past so hard? A past that was crap 90% of the time. Are people really afraid to move on to new things?

I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters? Who cares how much he donated? All that means is he likes the university. What is that supposed to prove? I don't hate or love Walden, but I can see why people got pissed with his antics regarding Wulff.

Why do people hold onto the past so hard? A past that was crap 90% of the time. Are people really afraid to move on to new things?

The problem is that we live in a world of extremes.

Wulff is the worst eva!
Trump is the greatest (or worst) eva!
Leach is the greatest coach eva!
Walden is the biggest loser eva!

Blah....blah.....blah. Certain people walk through life thinking that if you can't support something 100%, you have to oppose it 100%. You have a moral obligation to tear down absolutely everything linked to something or someone you don't like, and you must support, without question, anything that you like. Anyone who diverges from your viewpoint is an idiot and an a-hole.

Reactions: Observer11
The problem is that we live in a world of extremes.

Wulff is the worst eva!
Trump is the greatest (or worst) eva!
Leach is the greatest coach eva!
Walden is the biggest loser eva!

Blah....blah.....blah. Certain people walk through life thinking that if you can't support something 100%, you have to oppose it 100%. You have a moral obligation to tear down absolutely everything linked to something or someone you don't like, and you must support, without question, anything that you like. Anyone who diverges from your viewpoint is an idiot and an a-hole.

Wulff is the worst football coach in school history. It’s not subject to debate.

Do you ever post on the premium board? Or did you take your ball and run home the way others have?

Wulff is the worst football coach in school history. It’s not subject to debate.

Can't argue that from a coaching talent perspective, but Jackie Sherrill and Warren Powers (for me) are the "worst" coaches in WSU history.

Can't argue that from a coaching talent perspective, but Jackie Sherrill and Warren Powers (for me) are the "worst" coaches in WSU history.

Football-wise.

Paul Graham and Jenny P don't get nearly enough recognition as absolute sh*t on the list of sh*tty WSU coaches.

Reactions: ATACFD
So, you don't care to argue or debate it, but for some reason you'll post that it's not really true.

Makes total sense....

Would you change your mind if I took the time to debate it? Oh yeah, you already said that you have made up your mind and that there's no debate that will change it. To me, it doesn't matter any more. His position in the coaching history at WSU is just as relevant as Forest Evashevskie or Jackie Sherrill or others at this point. Further pissing matches about it is futile and stupid. We know that he is worst in your opinion and that's just as valid as anybody else's opinion.

Football-wise.

Paul Graham and Jenny P don't get nearly enough recognition as absolute sh*t on the list of sh*tty WSU coaches.
Not W-L record, but what state he left the program in when he left:

Bert Clark...depending how true some of the stories about his last two years were. And the comment about WSU and the Pac 8

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT