ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the Furd v dog game last night...

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they pointed out that Furd has faced freshman QBs almost exclusively. Point being, that while their defense is solid, they have essentially not had to face an experienced QB. Not sure if this is literally true, but it is generally true.

Falk and our offense will score plenty of points on Furd. I have no doubt about that. He is experienced now (even if only a sophomore). He is playing very well too...clearly.

I think, barring turnover problems, we can at least score in the 30s against their D. Am I smoking something or do you agree? The issue will be whether we can outscore them. Their O is very solid as you all know. They have a lot of weapons and are very physical. They will score plenty of points on us. I see them getting in the 40s, or higher.

Obviously, our special teams must play well to beat them (plus we can't turn the ball over).

Still enjoying the Arizona win, but looking forward to this big game vs Furd.

Oh, and one more thing...too bad we aren't playing them in Palo Alto. ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they pointed out that Furd has faced freshman QBs almost exclusively. Point being, that while their defense is solid, they have essentially not had to face an experienced QB. Not sure if this is literally true, but it is generally true.

Falk and our offense will score plenty of points on Furd. I have no doubt about that. He is experienced now (even if only a sophomore). He is playing very well too...clearly.

I think, barring turnover problems, we can at least score in the 30s against their D. Am I smoking something or do you agree? The issue will be whether we can outscore them. Their O is very solid as you all know. They have a lot of weapons and are very physical. They will score plenty of points on us. I see them getting in the 40s, or higher.

Obviously, our special teams must play well to beat them (plus we can't turn the ball over).

One thing Stanford hasn't faced in regards to WSU is some form of an effective running game. Also, they got Halliday 4 times last year and everyone knows how that could shake him up. Still TOP was pretty equal in last year's game, but hasn't been close for Stanford in most games. They control the LOS and run McCaffrey who's a horse. Slow down McCaffrey some how, help control the TOP with some form of a running game and a smarter QB......don't turn the ball over. If Stanford dominates TOP as they have been in the first half...don't expect the defense to create miracles.

Giving up TDs on ST is a salve for the TOP stats, too. Let's find a different way.

FWIW... Stanford has the NCAA #18 ranked rushing offense in the country... Arizona is now #9. I'm not worried.

Also, remember what I told you all last Spring after I had the opportunity to speak with two Stanford starting O-linemen?... "WSU was hands down one of the toughest teams we played this season(2014)... they are close"

FWIW... Stanford has the NCAA #18 ranked rushing offense in the country... Arizona is now #9. I'm not worried.

Also, remember what I told you all last Spring after I had the opportunity to speak with two Stanford starting O-linemen?... "WSU was hands down one of the toughest teams we played this season(2014)... they are close"

I'm not saying that Furd is unstoppable or unbeatable. Remember that Furd has a better passing threat than does Arizona, which helps their run game no doubt...as does their run game help their passing game.

It'll be a very interesting and exciting game.

I'm not saying that Furd is unstoppable or unbeatable. Remember that Furd has a better passing threat than does Arizona, which helps their run game no doubt...as does their run game help their passing game.

It'll be a very interesting and exciting game.

Yes, they're 7th in passing efficiency so far. Arizona is 50 and dropping to uw status.

Yes, but, Stanford is only #61 in Red zone efficiency.

I like #MyCougs in this one

bandwagon.png

Yes, but, Stanford is only #61 in Red zone efficiency.

I like #MyCougs in this one

Yes, but Stanford scores more often well outside the 20 yard line. Their runningbacks can scamper into the end zone from their 40 yard line. Are you making a case that the Cougs should be favored in this one?

Yes, but Stanford scores more often well outside the 20 yard line. Their runningbacks can scamper into the end zone from their 40 yard line. Are you making a case that the Cougs should be favored in this one?

The UW had four starters on defense out and lost a fifth one during the game, and the mutts might as well have had Chad Davis at quarterback. I have no question that Stanford is a great team (the offense has all the right parts, including the emergence of a superior TE), but the WSU offense will present the greatest challenge they've faced so far this season. We'll definitely have to put up a ton of points and get some turnovers to win this one. It's so nice to be in the conversation, however.

The UW had four starters on defense out and lost a fifth one during the game, and the mutts might as well have had Chad Davis at quarterback. I have no question that Stanford is a great team (the offense has all the right parts, including the emergence of a superior TE), but the WSU offense will present the greatest challenge they've faced so far this season. We'll definitely have to put up a ton of points and get some turnovers to win this one. It's so nice to be in the conversation, however.
LOL! That was an insult to Chad Davis too.

HHusky? Comment? :D

One more thing...

Isn't it amazing how the dogs have signed multiple 4* QBs over the years who have set all sorts of high school passing records and when they get to UW, they can't throw the ball worth a damn? I've never seen anything like it.

HHusky, please explain this phenomenon.

One more thing...

Isn't it amazing how the dogs have signed multiple 4* QBs over the years who have set all sorts of high school passing records and when they get to UW, they can't throw the ball worth a damn? I've never seen anything like it.

It's a great question. And actually, it seems that historically UW has been pretty focused on recruiting shiny skill players - receivers, QBs. A few years ago it was hard to imagine how you could stop the stable that they had waiting in the wings. They've had good DL play the last couple years but otherwise the approach doesn't seem to be paying dividends despite their outsized resources. Meanwhile we've been quietly building an OL...

With Stanford, I'm still hopeful we can pull out the win but they will be our greatest challenge all year. They cover well, they tackle well, they control the LOS, McCaffrey's a horse, and Hogan can scramble to pick up 3rd downs. Receivers better plan to have the best catching and blocking game of their careers, and safeties and our LOS better be on point.

It's a great question. And actually, it seems that historically UW has been pretty focused on recruiting shiny skill players - receivers, QBs. A few years ago it was hard to imagine how you could stop the stable that they had waiting in the wings. They've had good DL play the last couple years but otherwise the approach doesn't seem to be paying dividends despite their outsized resources. Meanwhile we've been quietly building an OL...

With Stanford, I'm still hopeful we can pull out the win but they will be our greatest challenge all year. They cover well, they tackle well, they control the LOS, McCaffrey's a horse, and Hogan can scramble to pick up 3rd downs. Receivers better plan to have the best catching and blocking game of their careers, and safeties and our LOS better be on point.

Stanford has had better defenses than the current version, although Blake Martinez is very legit. By no means are they an average defense, but Stanford has faced five freshman QBs this season.

I do say, I am getting some enjoyment reading the uw sbnation site. It is nice having many of them complaining about their team, especially OC Jonathan Smith and to a lesser extent, Chris Petersen.

Petersen walked on water as the smartest coach in America when he was hired. They are not feeling that way right now.

Why would WSU be favored?

I do believe we can win... and by the end of the week may have convinced myself we will win, but no, there is no reason for Vegas to favor WSU. You feel differently?
I believe that you made it sound like we should. Since you didn't respond to that question before, I wanted your view.

I believe that you made it sound like we should. Since you didn't respond to that question before, I wanted your view.

It don't matter.....this team plays alright as underdogs. How awesome was it when WSU was predicted to finish 8-10th in 2001' when those following Pac10 football knew better. If recruits want a true opportunity to say "they said we couldn't do it and we proved them wrong"....come to Pullman.

That pitch sure worked when Walden used to use it and a big reason he got us to the kickoff of an Apple Cup that would have sealed a Pac-Championship and Rose Bowl birth

That pitch sure worked when Walden used to use it and a big reason he got us to the kickoff of an Apple Cup that would have sealed a Pac-Championship and Rose Bowl birth

Here we go with Busch Lite again. Jump on the Iowa State website and try to sell them.
1994 Iowa State 0–10–1 0–6–1 T–7th

Why would anyone do that?

"That pitch sure worked when Walden used to use it and a big reason he got us to the kickoff of an Apple Cup that would have sealed a Pac-Championship and Rose Bowl birth"

Chinook, please meet HereWeGoCougars. You two need to get acquainted so that you understand what you guys are saying from one moment to the next.

"That pitch sure worked when Walden used to use it and a big reason he got us to the kickoff of an Apple Cup that would have sealed a Pac-Championship and Rose Bowl birth"

Chinook, please meet HereWeGoCougars. You two need to get acquainted so that you understand what you guys are saying from one moment to the next.

Trying to get another thread cleared, I see.

Typical of you, Fro.

Cougars are happy today. It must really kill you to see us enjoy this recent success.

On outscoring Stanford: I believe they have given up more than 40 only twice since 2012, and they won one of those.

I do think you have to outscore them. I also see them scoring 40 or better.

One more thing...

Jake Locker probably wasn't a passer when he got here. He ended up being taken in the first round of the NFL draft. Keith Price tore it up as a passer. Cyler Miles didn't turn out to do much, but of course he also was forced to retire for his health. Who are all these 4* QB "busts" you're referring to?

Jake Locker probably wasn't a passer when he got here. He ended up being taken in the first round of the NFL draft. Keith Price tore it up as a passer. Cyler Miles didn't turn out to do much, but of course he also was forced to retire for his health. Who are all these 4* QB "busts" you're referring to?
Probably the guys who backed up that "Murderers Row" of legendary QBs you just listed.

Too bad Miles got injured- he's was looking like the next Montana. That is to say, the next NATE Montana- another four star QB the Dawgs couldn't develop.

Reactions: kayak15
Probably the guys who backed up that "Murderers Row" of legendary QBs you just listed.

Too bad Miles got injured- he's was looking like the next Montana. That is to say, the next NATE Montana- another four star QB the Dawgs couldn't develop.

Miles had a chronic injury. I'm sure it didn't help his performance.

I guess I'm supposed to understand that you think Locker and Price had crappy careers here. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As for Nate Montana, admittedly we always struggle to develop QBs that attend schools other than the UW.

I guess I'm supposed to understand that you think Locker and Price had crappy careers here. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

As for Nate Montana, admittedly we always struggle to develop QBs that attend schools other than the UW.
Man, did I miss the first name of the four star Montana you guys couldn't develop? Nick? Ruins my whole point, then.

There's not a person in purple who, when they acquired Purple Jesus, said "this guy- he can get us to 7-6!". So, yeah, underwhelming.

Yeah people love your QBs

Man, did I miss the first name of the four star Montana you guys couldn't develop? Nick? Ruins my whole point, then.

There's not a person in purple who, when they acquired Purple Jesus, said "this guy- he can get us to 7-6!". So, yeah, underwhelming.

Nick couldn't get on the field. Keith Price, you know. We rarely play more than one QB at a time. Btw, Gess who Price had more career passing yards than. He didn't start four years either.

Nick couldn't get on the field. Keith Price, you know. We rarely play more than one QB at a time. Btw, Gess who Price had more career passing yards than. He didn't start four years either.
Yeah, I remember the almost universal love in Huskyville for the Keith "Seriously... we don't have ANYONE better than this guy?" Price era.

So an NFL wide receiver is your evidence of UW's terrible QB play. Strong work!

Former NFL Receiver former Husky QB who couldn't make it as a QB.
Jake Locker out of the NFL
Keith Price..playing Canadian.

I mean for all those QBs they sure haven't done anything. I'm sure Browning with his 6 Tds 5 ints he'll be magic.

Yeah, I remember the almost universal love in Huskyville for the Keith "Seriously... we don't have ANYONE better than this guy?" Price era.

Well obviously the opinion of the average fan is the best test of whether someone in any good.

Former NFL Receiver former Husky QB who couldn't make it as a QB.
Jake Locker out of the NFL
Keith Price..playing Canadian.

I mean for all those QBs they sure haven't done anything. I'm sure Browning with his 6 Tds 5 ints he'll be magic.

Again, there's no way Browning or any of them will ever get better. It is time for you to place a sizeable wager on Peterson's imminent firing.

Again, there's no way Browning or any of them will ever get better. It is time for you to place a sizeable wager on Peterson's imminent firing.

Well looking at your situation this year if you don't make a bowl...people will be pretty pissed. Next year your OOC isn't that hard, but a lot of the Pac will be storng. You have to go to Autzen and win. Now we can do that, but you guys...no way. So that will be year 13 the streak continues.

Lots of people are going to be really unhappy. Especially since we will probably be even more improved. While we are on the rise. You guys are stuck in the mud. Things may get really ugly because browning will be losing reps so it sets his progression further and further back.

Things could get ugly...

Well looking at your situation this year if you don't make a bowl...people will be pretty pissed. Next year your OOC isn't that hard, but a lot of the Pac will be storng. You have to go to Autzen and win. Now we can do that, but you guys...no way. So that will be year 13 the streak continues.

Lots of people are going to be really unhappy. Especially since we will probably be even more improved. While we are on the rise. You guys are stuck in the mud. Things may get really ugly because browning will be losing reps so it sets his progression further and further back.

Things could get ugly...

Clearly it's hopeless!!! Oh well, it was a pretty good 125 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT