ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early bowl projections

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Sporting News has their bowl projections out for the upcoming season:

Rose Bowl: USC vs Florida State (Playoff)
Fiesta Bowl: UW vs Penn State
Alamo Bowl: Stanford vs KSU
Holiday Bowl: Utah vs Northwestern
Foster Farms: WSU vs Michigan State
Sun Bowl: Colorado vs Miami
Las Vegas: Oregon State vs Boise State
Armed Forces Bowl: UCLA vs Army (the tie-in is with the Cactus Bowl so this one is wrong and I think it should be UCLA vs TCU)

The list is interesting in that they have no faith in Oregon righting the ship and qualifying for a bowl game this year. It also does not include either team from Arizona which would probably mean both coaches would get fired. I'm not sure that Mora keeps his job if the Bruins are the 8th best team in the conference. Cal not being included is no surprise at all.

In general, the order looks believable although it wouldn't surprise me at all to see WSU swap places with Stanford. I'm curious to see if OSU can get to the Vegas Bowl (and not get whipped by BSU).

Flat, I'll toss out a few thoughts since you were good enough to recap TSN's predictions.

First, I'd swap Oregon for OSU this year. And I'd bet on Oregon in the Civil War.

Stanford has depth at several positions, including O line & LB. But they are just as vulnerable as the rest of us to losing the wrong DL or skill position kid. If they survive the season with minimal injuries, the Alamo is a reasonable guess. Since they like to run the ball and they have some bench strength at O line, it might even be worth a small bet.

UCLA will probably make a bowl, but you can always count on them to underperform what ever pre-season hype they are enjoying. For example, if the gurus collectively pick them to be 4th in the PAC, better figure 6th.

I don't think Colorado will do well enough to get the Sun, though they would be an attractive pick for that bowl. They have a lot of rebuilding to do.

Finally, I just hope that we play in a California bowl and don't have to go to somewhere in Texas.

Armed Forces Bowl: UCLA vs Army (the tie-in is with the Cactus Bowl so this one is wrong and I think it should be UCLA vs TCU)

The list is interesting in that they have no faith in Oregon righting the ship and qualifying for a bowl game this year. It also does not include either team from Arizona which would probably mean both coaches would get fired. I'm not sure that Mora keeps his job if the Bruins are the 8th best team in the conference. Cal not being included is no surprise at all.

In general, the order looks believable although it wouldn't surprise me at all to see WSU swap places with Stanford. I'm curious to see if OSU can get to the Vegas Bowl (and not get whipped by BSU).
I don't think the beavers are going anywhere yet, they still have a lot of issues. Oregon is likely left out as well, new staff and plenty of defensive problems. I look for several -players to transfer out after spring practice, it almost always happens after a coaching change

I don't think the beavers are going anywhere yet, they still have a lot of issues. Oregon is likely left out as well, new staff and plenty of defensive problems. I look for several -players to transfer out after spring practice, it almost always happens after a coaching change

Unless Oregon's younger players (especially on defense) discover the weight room, the Phil Knight Club might have another rough year.

Oregon State has a tough schedule. 4 wins tops. If they integrate a "little Air Raid" that's been rumored...it won't be until next year they may start upsetting.

My biggest beef with any type of anything before say... 6 weeks into the season (I've heard 8 as well) is that this requires little to no thought or analysis.

"Well, SC because SC and they have a qb who looks like every other SC qb thats ever played but this one is the second coming of Christ (like all the rest.)"

"UW because they were good last year and who else is going to take their place?"

"Stanford because Stanford and it isn't going to be anyone else from the north because they are all doormats."

"Well, except everyone else is an even worse doormat, so I guess we'll have to put WSU and OSU up there."

Just stupid.

Reactions: 79COUG
It's so good to be talking about which bowl, rather than how on earth we might scratch out six wins.

Reactions: 79COUG
My biggest beef with any type of anything before say... 6 weeks into the season (I've heard 8 as well) is that this requires little to no thought or analysis.

"Well, SC because SC and they have a qb who looks like every other SC qb thats ever played but this one is the second coming of Christ (like all the rest.)"

"UW because they were good last year and who else is going to take their place?"

"Stanford because Stanford and it isn't going to be anyone else from the north because they are all doormats."

"Well, except everyone else is an even worse doormat, so I guess we'll have to put WSU and OSU up there."

Just stupid.

We all know that these projections don't mean anything but it's something football related to talk about. For me, it's great that WSU now a team that is assumed to win 8 or 9 games in a season instead of hoping for bowl eligibility (even though we still need to worry a little because nothing is guaranteed).

And frankly, bowl projections are just as, if not more, relevant and accurate than wondering whether or not Cooper is going to beat out Neville in a couple years and whether not one or both of them are even on the team.

We all know that these projections don't mean anything but it's something football related to talk about. For me, it's great that WSU now a team that is assumed to win 8 or 9 games in a season instead of hoping for bowl eligibility (even though we still need to worry a little because nothing is guaranteed).

And frankly, bowl projections are just as, if not more, relevant and accurate than wondering whether or not Cooper is going to beat out Neville in a couple years and whether not one or both of them are even on the team.
I guess. I personally don't find much gratification talking or speculating about things that I have zero business talking about, like how other teams are going to fare. I barely have standing to have an opinion on how the Cougs are going to fare, for all that goes.

And for me, seeing us getting slotted, somewhere 4-6 just doesn't do it. I'd like to talk about our path to the conference championship and how that's going to happen - THAT'S something I'll speculate about. If I'm going to talk out my ass it might as well be about how good we're going to be, not how we'll finish middle of the pack and get slighted for bowls again.

Roses or bust, baby!

I guess. I personally don't find much gratification talking or speculating about things that I have zero business talking about, like how other teams are going to fare. I barely have standing to have an opinion on how the Cougs are going to fare, for all that goes.

And for me, seeing us getting slotted, somewhere 4-6 just doesn't do it. I'd like to talk about our path to the conference championship and how that's going to happen - THAT'S something I'll speculate about. If I'm going to talk out my ass it might as well be about how good we're going to be, not how we'll finish middle of the pack and get slighted for bowls again.

Roses or bust, baby!

So nice of you to chime in to let everyone know you don't want to talk about it.

Can't wait for your thread about making it to the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: longtimecoug

If I offered you a Foster Farms win over MSU right now, would you sign up for it? You could roll the dice and either get a worse bowl, no bowl, or a better bowl, but a loss.

If I offered you a Foster Farms win over MSU right now, would you sign up for it? You could roll the dice and either get a worse bowl, no bowl, or a better bowl, but a loss.

If I could get a 9-4 season with a win over Michigan State in the Foster Farms bowl guaranteed.......I'd leap on it in a heartbeat. I'd definitely prefer a win in the Foster Farms bowl over a loss in a Holiday or Alamo Bowl appearance without a doubt. Where it gets tricky would be the Rose Bowl. I'd prefer a Rose Bowl appearance, regardless of outcome, over any other bowl game.

Reactions: 79COUG and Fab5Coug
If I could get a 9-4 season with a win over Michigan State in the Foster Farms bowl guaranteed.......I'd leap on it in a heartbeat. I'd definitely prefer a win in the Foster Farms bowl over a loss in a Holiday or Alamo Bowl appearance without a doubt. Where it gets tricky would be the Rose Bowl. I'd prefer a Rose Bowl appearance, regardless of outcome, over any other bowl game.
Having been in the stands for the (embarrassing, humiliating - pick your negative adjective) 2003 Rose Bowl, I can't agree with this. Getting completely dominated, outplayed, outcoached, and nearly shut out in the Rose Bowl is no way to end a season.

Reactions: Coug95man2
If we could average 8-9 wins over the next 5 seasons, even if we never qualify for a bowl of greater significance than the Holiday Bowl, our program would be in better shape than it's ever been. We'd be looking at season ticket sales around the 18K range IMO.

Having been in the stands for the (embarrassing, humiliating - pick your negative adjective) 2003 Rose Bowl, I can't agree with this. Getting completely dominated, outplayed, outcoached, and nearly shut out in the Rose Bowl is no way to end a season.

I hear what you are saying. I was at the game as well and it was definitely a clunker of a game. Still, I would take the Rose Bowl because realistically, the only way that we get in to the game is by winning the conference. Bigger picture, that is more important than any other bowl game outside of a playoff appearance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT