ADVERTISEMENT

Wazzu baseball and the other football

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
The turnover among our baseball team and our ladies' soccer team is astonishing. More than 50% of both teams will be composed of freshmen (freshwomen? Not quite sure what to call the incoming ladies.) or JC transfers. Last year's soccer team had 27 players. Shulenberger and staff have brought in 13 new frosh (O.K. That works.) and a JC player. On the baseball side of the coin, Lees and his crew have brought in a total of 20 new players. Last year's roster had a total of 31. Now I realize that both records were a disappointment last year. The soccer team failed to make the postseason and the baseball guys were dead last in the Pac12 but, wow, that is one hell of a drastic alteration.

Sent an email to Gesser regarding a donation and also included a couple of questions regarding this. Basically wanted to know if this is normal among other collegiate soccer and/or baseball teams. Have yet to hear back but thought that I would pass my observation along for the board's review. Anybody else find this remarkable?

I have two daughters that play club soccer, and I can tell you loading up on talent 3 to 4 years apart, is very risky. There is significant development (body) differences until you get up to about 22, IMO. I've seen really talented kids get bullied around on the field by girls that are bigger and more aggressive...with far less talent.

Risky, yes. But not necessarily wrong.

A new coach just getting off his first season is likely to see some things he didn't like, and feel a need to use a good broom to do the sweeping. Give him 2 more seasons and you will know how that worked out.

That definitely applies with the baseball team. And from what I can see, it also applies with soccer.

Both coaches got what they were pursuing. In a couple of years this will be a clear indicator of coaching strategy and team development.

Just read a return email from Gesser regarding this issue as it pertains to the ladies' soccer team. The salient points of his email follow.

I had read only four graduating seniors but he mentions eight graduations. Early graduations or just a failure on my part? Don't know. Another player has left the team and this would be normal attrition from my view. Transfer, grades or just no longer playing the sport? Don't know.

Jason attributes the turnover- which he regards as elevated but not abnormal- to the changing of the guard in the HC position. Four different HCs in five years. He further mentions that Shulenberger's family is happy in Pullman and that they are in the process of building a house. Thus, he has hopes, as we all do, that the musical chairs situation in the HC spot has ended for the near future. The million dollar upgrade in the soccer facilities should also help stabilize the coaching turnover problem.

Another thing that I noticed is that one of the incoming players is Gabriela Crenshaw, Kelsee Crenshaw's sister. The obvious conclusion to me is that Kelsee and presumably others are pleased with the current coaching staff as well as other team aspects. A hopeful sign.

The incoming class has an impressive collection of resumes. Gesser mentioned that the staff emphasized the need for more speed and believes that they have addressed that issue. That is a problem that I had observed while watching last year's performance.

Another problem that I saw was the lack of height offensively in the box. Thus, no great number of headers on goal. Especially a concerning deficit during corner kicks. The school's bios do not give heights so I am unaware of whether this was addressed. It is also possible that, once again, I do not know what I am talking about. (We need more speed and height? I sound like another individual we are aware of.)

For the edification of others on the soggy side of the state, the first game of the season is against Crossfire FC and is being played in Seattle on March 4th, a Saturday. Where in Seattle is not indicated. I suspect that perhaps the facility in Tukwila is the venue. O.K., it's strictly not Seattle but close enough for government work. Don't see any time listed either but since it is a Saturday then I would expect an afternoon game. So Saturday afternoon is a reasonable expectation and thus no excuse for a failure to attend by those interested in WSU and soccer. Since it would be the first game of the season one cannot expect a polished showing by our ladies but should give us a good viewing of the talent on the team. I attended last year's (I think that it was last year.) game with Seattle U. Cougs were well represented and I would expect that this will be the case against Crossfire. Also a couple of games in Bellingham and Langley, B.C. are scheduled in the first half of March.

Go Cougs.

I have two daughters that play club soccer, and I can tell you loading up on talent 3 to 4 years apart, is very risky. There is significant development (body) differences until you get up to about 22, IMO. I've seen really talented kids get bullied around on the field by girls that are bigger and more aggressive...with far less talent.

I'll tend to agree with Kayak15 on this. I've had daughters play at the highest possible level of state youth soccer. One of them was a starter as a college frosh and went on to captain her college team (which won their league and played in the NCAA tourney three out of her four years). I've watched a metric TON of girls and women's soccer over many, many years.

My thoughts while watching the Cougs play soccer last year was that they desperately needed an influx of speed/athleticism plus both technical skill and tactical awareness. In other words, harsh as it may sound, if the Cougs were going to get back to the NCAA tourney, out of a VERY tough P12 conference, they needed a roster overhaul.

Tactical awareness is something the coach can directly work towards improving.

Speed/athleticism and technical ability ? Some.........but not so much. That's why you better recruit it in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT