ADVERTISEMENT

WAZZU, worse offense performance this year.

CaliTrojan4Life

Varsity
Mar 3, 2012
How in the world they do not score 50 plus points on a depleted defense like Minnesota. I mean even Colorado State and Oregon State put up 24 and 23 points respectively on their starting defense. And for those that are blaming the players when will you have nuts enough to blame the COACH? Hmmm...

How in the world they do not score 50 plus points on a depleted defense like Minnesota. I mean even Colorado State and Oregon State put up 24 and 23 points respectively on their starting defense. And for those that are blaming the players when will you have nuts enough to blame the COACH? Hmmm...
It was all Pippins fault

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Those were early games and they were breaking in a new DC and trying out different things, i.e., 3-4 defense, etc. Defense improved substantially as the season progressed.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Those were early games and they were breaking in a new DC and trying out different things, i.e., 3-4 defense, etc. Defense improved substantially as the season progressed.
That being said, they were down in the area on their defense that was the strength of Leach's Air-raid.

That being said, they were down in the area on their defense that was the strength of Leach's Air-raid.
absolutely true. They guys definitely stepped up. Sawvel is the new DC and DB coach. He is also the key recruiter of the DBs and is uncanny in his ability to find the guys he wants that fit his mould for DBs. Many are 2* or low 3* guys, but he consistently puts them in the NFL (2 last year).

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Slab of Bacon, I'm guessing you are a Gopher fan. Great game by your players and your defensive coaching staff. I am impressed with what you D.C. With the players available. Despite all the Bs that went on in your program a few weeks ago most your kids deserved that win, and your fans are cool bunch too. Congrats.

Slab of Bacon, I'm guessing you are a Gopher fan. Great game by your players and your defensive coaching staff. I am impressed with what you D.C. With the players available. Despite all the Bs that went on in your program a few weeks ago most your kids deserved that win, and your fans are cool bunch too. Congrats.
True. Appreciate the kind words. Honestly, I thought you guys would pass all over us in this game as we were missing 2 of 4 starting DBs and about half of our starting OL. I predicted a WSU win. It is possible that 2 DBs will get drafted again this year (Travis and Myrick).

As a Gopher fan, I predicted a 48-24 stomping by WSU so to say I didn't see that coming would be an understatement. Our starting C was also a late pregame scratch. Lost 2 more defensive starters during the game including best DL and DB making his first start due to suspensions. Go figure.

I have no idea why your QB wasn't able to expose our secondary but our front 7 is pretty stout. I like Leach and I'll be pulling for WSU next year fwiw.

Reactions: chugspig
True. Appreciate the kind words. Honestly, I thought you guys would pass all over us in this game as we were missing 2 of 4 starting DBs and about half of our starting OL. I predicted a WSU win. It is possible that 2 DBs will get drafted again this year (Travis and Myrick).
Hey Slab, Furd is a nickname we Pac-12 folks call Stanford.

Reactions: Slab Of Bacon
WSU has no receiver that can stretch the field and take the top off the defense. It's a bunch of kids running back and forth making catches 25 yards and shorter. If you really want to expose backup DBs you make the defend the deep ball over and over. If you wanna take it easy on them, take the fear of giving up the deep ball out of them and let them keep everything in front of them and rally up to play another down.

Leach got outcoached tonight. You don't need a pass rush to pressure Falk into bad throws and decisions. Just confuse him with the bodies in the box and he'll screw it up.

For WSU to win tonight they needed to come out running. How on God's green Earth can a team so heavily pass not have a f*cking draw play? 5 wide, QB draw for 8 yards and slide against a 3 man pass rush.... Move the chains, loosen up the defense, keep the DC guessing... Nope. Deer in headlights. WSU loses.

We just were slow and not decisive. When we play our best there is a "crispness" to the play and it wasn't there at all. It really was a weird weird game and very uninspiring on offense. It was like a total hesitant team overall.

Reactions: YakiCoug
WSU has no receiver that can stretch the field and take the top off the defense. It's a bunch of kids running back and forth making catches 25 yards and shorter. If you really want to expose backup DBs you make the defend the deep ball over and over. If you wanna take it easy on them, take the fear of giving up the deep ball out of them and let them keep everything in front of them and rally up to play another down.

Leach got outcoached tonight. You don't need a pass rush to pressure Falk into bad throws and decisions. Just confuse him with the bodies in the box and he'll screw it up.

For WSU to win tonight they needed to come out running. How on God's green Earth can a team so heavily pass not have a f*cking draw play? 5 wide, QB draw for 8 yards and slide against a 3 man pass rush.... Move the chains, loosen up the defense, keep the DC guessing... Nope. Deer in headlights. WSU loses.

Shovel pass.

Shovel pass.

Yeah, but no. If you're gonna run draw, run draw. Don't pretend to run draw. Which is what a shovel pass is.

Just hand the ball to the running back and let Cody O'Connell show why he deserved the Outland Trophy.

Yeah, but no. If you're gonna run draw, run draw. Don't pretend to run draw. Which is what a shovel pass is.

Just hand the ball to the running back and let Cody O'Connell show why he deserved the Outland Trophy.

O'Connell wasn't anything to write home about tonight.

Leach got outcoached tonight.

Leach gets outcoached a lot. Like, in every loss. Its not a lack of scheme or talent - on those alone we should have beat UM, but Leach insists on being Leach. Poor clock management, shitty kicker who can't (and has never) make a decent onside kick, completely giving up on the run against a 3 and 4 man front... I mean, what else can you say.

Everyone in the world... nay, the universe, thought that WSU should win this game going away. But in typical "woe is me, blah blah blah, we suck" Leach style they played down to the level of their opponent and got fcking curb stomped.

I'm not going to come right out and say that Falk is holding us back, but Luke Falk is fcking holding us back. He doesn't know what to do when his OL gives him 10 seconds to pass, so he runs around behind the LOS and takes a sack, because he's a fcking genius. I'm sorry, was that too direct?

Maybe I should redirect to the WR corp who couldn't catch a fcking cold if it was injected into their fcking arteries. I get that RC is hurt and Marks is a ''marked" man, but apparently that means that no one else on the fcking team can make a catch? Are these guys on fcking scholarship? Can I personally mark my CAF donation as "everyone except the worst WR corp in the P5 conference?" I'm sorry, but I'm sick of seeing guys who don't even fcking try. Marks gives his SOUL to get a catch and you have guys just "oh, whatever, if I get a foot in I do, if not who gives a fck." Sorry, buy we don't need that, take a hike.

Lastly on my rant, I'm sorry for Morrow/ Wicks/ Williams because they were pretty much all but forgotten tonight. I hope Luke figures out how to read defenses next year and you guys get to run vs 3 and 4 man fronts, which is what we were up against all night.

This game was a colossal failure, and the team and coaches should all be ashamed and fired up to atone for it next year.

Leach gets outcoached a lot. Like, in every loss. Its not a lack of scheme or talent - on those alone we should have beat UM, but Leach insists on being Leach. Poor clock management, shitty kicker who can't (and has never) make a decent onside kick, completely giving up on the run against a 3 and 4 man front... I mean, what else can you say.

Everyone in the world... nay, the universe, thought that WSU should win this game going away. But in typical "woe is me, blah blah blah, we suck" Leach style they played down to the level of their opponent and got fcking curb stomped.

I'm not going to come right out and say that Falk is holding us back, but Luke Falk is fcking holding us back. He doesn't know what to do when his OL gives him 10 seconds to pass, so he runs around behind the LOS and takes a sack, because he's a fcking genius. I'm sorry, was that too direct?

Maybe I should redirect to the WR corp who couldn't catch a fcking cold if it was injected into their fcking arteries. I get that RC is hurt and Marks is a ''marked" man, but apparently that means that no one else on the fcking team can make a catch? Are these guys on fcking scholarship? Can I personally mark my CAF donation as "everyone except the worst WR corp in the P5 conference?" I'm sorry, but I'm sick of seeing guys who don't even fcking try. Marks gives his SOUL to get a catch and you have guys just "oh, whatever, if I get a foot in I do, if not who gives a fck." Sorry, buy we don't need that, take a hike.

Lastly on my rant, I'm sorry for Morrow/ Wicks/ Williams because they were pretty much all but forgotten tonight. I hope Luke figures out how to read defenses next year and you guys get to run vs 3 and 4 man fronts, which is what we were up against all night.

This game was a colossal failure, and the team and coaches should all be ashamed and fired up to atone for it next year.
Pretty much agree with everything but Leach takes no accountability. He will have some quip about fat little girlfriends or zombie corpses. His QB was awful and should have been yanked at half. If that wasn't the case then Leach himself is to blame.

Falk can't read a defense pre or post snap. The occcasional time he throws a deep ball he throws it out of bounds and doesn't even give his guy a chance to catch it. The fact that there's even discussion about him going to the NFL is a joke. He's not even remotely close to being ready.

Falk will not make an NFL roster. I'm no hater, but he just won't. It doesn't matter if he comes back next season. He has hit his ceiling. He's a good college QB with some significant limitations. He can't get us to the next level, which means we need the defense to be the unit to do that. Can Grinch get us there?

Pippens was coached to jump early and tip the ball right to the receiver! Grinch is terrible.
Exactly, pippens was supposed to be covering the guy on the other side of the field, but because of his all world ability he was able to jump 50 feet and almost save that linebacker who was burned by 20 yards on the play.

Falk will not make an NFL roster. I'm no hater, but he just won't. It doesn't matter if he comes back next season. He has hit his ceiling. He's a good college QB with some significant limitations. He can't get us to the next level, which means we need the defense to be the unit to do that. Can Grinch get us there?

Here's a question...

Ryan Leaf, Drew Bledsoe, Jason Gesser, insert any past great WSU QB.... Line up with an Outland Trophy finalist, what play do they call??? Well, maybe Ryan still throws the ball.

If you are an option team you run dive until the other team stops it.

If you have an Outland Trophy finalist you run the ball behind him until the other team stops it. Then you run play action.

Where was the counter play? Why not run a ****ing power and lead with that big SOB? Draw, any draw, get behind him for yards. Oh, it's not in the offense??? It's not part of the scheme??? Make it part of the offense!!! There will likely NEVER be another Outland Trophy finalist at WSU again! Take advantage of him while he's here!

When Saban and Meyer game plan, do you think they avoid running the ball behind their Outland Trophy finalists? 14 carries by WSU running backs.

Here's a question...

Ryan Leaf, Drew Bledsoe, Jason Gesser, insert any past great WSU QB.... Line up with an Outland Trophy finalist, what play do they call??? Well, maybe Ryan still throws the ball.

If you are an option team you run dive until the other team stops it.

If you have an Outland Trophy finalist you run the ball behind him until the other team stops it. Then you run play action.

Where was the counter play? Why not run a ****ing power and lead with that big SOB? Draw, any draw, get behind him for yards. Oh, it's not in the offense??? It's not part of the scheme??? Make it part of the offense!!! There will likely NEVER be another Outland Trophy finalist at WSU again! Take advantage of him while he's here!

When Saban and Meyer game plan, do you think they avoid running the ball behind their Outland Trophy finalists? 14 carries by WSU running backs.
Right, and where was Morrow running down field on mismatches with their LBs like we did against Colorado for a long TD?

I think Falk is good, but too cautious and not adept at exploiting what defenses give him.

Right, and where was Morrow running down field on mismatches with their LBs like we did against Colorado for a long TD?

I think Falk is good, but too cautious and not adept at exploiting what defenses give him.

He isn't a gun slinger. He's Jeff Tuel, not Connor Halliday. WSU needs a QB that will grip it and rip it. Being to cautious about throwing picks or even throwing the ball at all just isn't gonna work in a passing offense.

We just were slow and not decisive. When we play our best there is a "crispness" to the play and it wasn't there at all. It really was a weird weird game and very uninspiring on offense. It was like a total hesitant team overall.

Yes that crispness was not there as it wasn't early the year. How much does the time off affect the type of offense they run. It shouldn't IMO but it seems to. I already counted the 2017 opener against MSU as an easy win but Leach has not won a season opener yet. It's time to break the ice on this one.

Might I add, I thought we had that "crispness" at one point in the game, I wanna say it was the 3rd quarter and we were almost in a rush offense mentality. It floundered and we punted but I thought the overall "crispness" was there. I was disappointed to see us come out slow afterwards because although the outcome wasn't what we needed, it didn't mean we shouldn't have kept that speed going. I know that isn't CML's version of "air raid" but it sure seems to work for Falk.

I'd also point to the last minute of the game. We ran down the field and scored. Albeit that the Defense was playing us differently but you get my point in the overall concept I'm going with, here.

When we really move, we get to the line quickly, we throw the ball quickly, we run the ball quickly... I swear we are unbeatable.

I'd also point to how we won Rutgers, Oregon... All these "late game wins" are when we change what we are doing. We go from sluggish and slower style of O to a faster than light paced O. And then we win!

I think CML and Falk need to assess this concept. When WSU is a speed demon on the O, we do very very well.

Leach is only "out coached" because he is consistent that he's sticking with his system. It's the QB's job to find the mismatches and exploit them. I tend to think with a mobile QB (Hilinski), last night we would have shredded Minnesota's defense. Falk isn't mobile and waits too long in the pocket.

Leach is only "out coached" because he is consistent that he's sticking with his system. It's the QB's job to find the mismatches and exploit them. I tend to think with a mobile QB (Hilinski), last night we would have shredded Minnesota's defense. Falk isn't mobile and waits too long in the pocket.

It may have helped, but "shredded?" Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Their front 7 wasn't going to allow us to shred them, and frankly, since we're playing the what if game....If Minnesota's QB was more accurate, they would have hit at least 2 deep passes and probably would have hung 30+ on us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT