ADVERTISEMENT

WCC and Cougs

BYU has always been a good mens bball program, going to NCAA tournament a lot.

they joined the WCC. They were #2 in conference behind Gonzaga. They were still able to goto NCAA tournament. Being in the WCC, didn't hurt them. It helped them. And it didn't prevent them from going from the WCC in bball to Big 12 in Bball.

WCC is better in bball then some here think.

Gonzaga, St Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Diego are USUALLY pretty good. And WCC usually has 3 NCAA tourney bids, and occasionally has had 4 bids on rare occasions.

And in Basketball the WCC is almost equal to MWC.

And in the WCC, WSU, OSU, would be in the Top 4 of the WCC in men's bball.

And with the WCC getting WSU, OSU, and having Gonzaga, St Mary's, WSU, Santa Clara, OSU, San Fran, San Diego, as best in WCC in bball, the WCC, would probably get 4 NCAA tourny bids.

The WCC is a lot better in BBall then some of you think.

And I think that joining the WCC in non football sports, is going to end up being a temporary good move.

It's the reality, I recognize that.

Athletes are hungry to play against the best. Like it or not, the teams WSU used to play against was a recruiting chip WSU could use. Now they can't. There won't be any more Trinity Rodman's picking WSU over UCLA.

As I said earlier, I'm likely the minority here, but it's what I see as the reality.
Is WSU going to beat out UCLA for soccer players anymore? LOL
That happened all of one time (Trinity Rodman) with a big part of it being her brother was at WSU on the men’s hoops team.
And she never saw the field at WSU because of the COVID season and her declaring for NWSL soon after that.
So that’s a specious argumen. It’s not like beating out UCLA for soccer players has been any sort of regular thing that will now change….sheesh.

Disagree in the sports that are not football. COUGS' MBB via Pac12 has not been that big of a boost in recruiting/retention. Zero NCAA bids since Bennett and just a few NIT bids. No nba current pros other than Thompson. How long ago was that?

Meanwhile, Gonzaga has placed over a handful of players in the association. Players that are either regular contributors or bonafide starters.

The attraction of the WCC is the potential for a bid to the tournament. The only tournament that matters. It's an easier path.

I say playing in the WCC just might help attract and keep better talent. That's all I have to say about that.
Gonzaga presently has ten players at the NBA level this year.

This arrangement simply buys time for WSU and OSU to secure better footing in the future in a Power 5 Conf. When the new alignment starts again. It’s smart to do this over joining the MWC.
WSU and OSU are hedging their bets that fan interest will keep up these two years.

WSU and OSU are hedging their bets that fan interest will keep up these two years.
I don’t think fan interest is much of a factor here either way. We have what, a thousand people showing up for a league bb game now? This is purely about the best short term gap fill option while the bigger picture develops.

Reactions: kougkurt
I don’t think fan interest is much of a factor here either way. We have what, a thousand people showing up for a league bb game now? This is purely about the best short term gap fill option while the bigger picture develops.
"I see you have the students back. Now how do you get the alumni back?" Loose remembrance of George Raveling's quote during his trip back to Pullman to accept some award. As I've mentioned, I went to the packed CUB ceremony, and met him. He called me sir. It's like uh no, I call YOU sir.

I abhor this WCC arrangement. We just need to F all this and do the reverse merger. Mtn West will probably just give us the finger here pretty soon. Absolutely the highest quality man.

I was telling this platonic gal pal (mutt grad, Grrr, she wears her mutt hat to the dog park just to annoy me) about the days when Beasley was packed, and George would get up, raise his arms like an evangelist, and the place would go nuts. She couldn't believe I remembered that shit from 40 years ago.

"I see you have the students back. Now how do you get the alumni back?" Loose remembrance of George Raveling's quote during his trip back to Pullman to accept some award. As I've mentioned, I went to the packed CUB ceremony, and met him. He called me sir. It's like uh no, I call YOU sir.

I abhor this WCC arrangement. We just need to F all this and do the reverse merger. Mtn West will probably just give us the finger here pretty soon. Absolutely the highest quality man.

I was telling this platonic gal pal (mutt grad, Grrr, she wears her mutt hat to the dog park just to annoy me) about the days when Beasley was packed, and George would get up, raise his arms like an evangelist, and the place would go nuts. She couldn't believe I remembered that shit from 40 years ago.
Make that 50 years ago this year. I came back from service in time for his first couple of years.

Will this keep fans engaged enough to continue or want to donate? By the time the dust settles on next moves, my fear is WSU (and OSU) will have fallen into more disadvantages.

Again, I don't know what to expect the next few seasons, but it feels a lot is based on hope from my viewpoint.

Pros:
Conference flexibility allows WSU to continue on the pathway to find the best home.

Cons:
Moves like this alliance changes the dynamic of the AD and university regarding coaches and athletes and possibly, perception.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
That said, the college athletic landscape is rapidly changing. I had submitted my previous comment only to see this on reddit shortly after.

WSU and OSU maybe are waiting for this to unfold.

Will this keep fans engaged enough to continue or want to donate? By the time the dust settles on next moves, my fear is WSU (and OSU) will have fallen into more disadvantages.

Again, I don't know what to expect the next few seasons, but it feels a lot is based on hope from my viewpoint.

Pros:
Conference flexibility allows WSU to continue on the pathway to find the best home.

Cons:
Moves like this alliance changes the dynamic of the AD and university regarding coaches and athletes and possibly, perception.
Again I don’t think it moves the needle much. The bigger donors aren’t going to be left in the dark on the long term strategy. Smaller donors on autopilot, they may have a 10% drop but not enough to be catastrophic, especially with the $$ WSU and OSU will control. This fills a void for the next year or two that otherwise is a daunting task to cobble together as an independent, and at the same time provides a lot more flexibility than anything signed with the MWC. We still own the rights to the P12, the mountain west will still be there in 2 years.

That said, the college athletic landscape is rapidly changing. I had submitted my previous comment only to see this on reddit shortly after.

WSU and OSU maybe are waiting for this to unfold.

I think the idea that FSU will move to the Big 12 is laughable, and the mention of that undermines this source's credibility. The move is all about money, and FSU doesn't get more in the Big 12. If they leave the ACC, their goal is the SEC. The Big 10 will be their alternate, and they'll choose based on the money.

EDIT: An additional thought on this that is relevant to us: if FSU gets out of the ACC, it's going to be because they found a way to defeat the ACC grant of rights - which runs through 2036. If they do that, it probably also defeats the grants of rights of all the other conferences, almost certainly the Pac-12's. That could create a situation where WSU/OSU - even if they have control of the conference - can't retain anything from the 10...and if the decision on the ACC GOR comes after the 10 are gone, it becomes a future lawsuit where they come back to get paid.

Last edited:
Again I don’t think it moves the needle much. The bigger donors aren’t going to be left in the dark on the long term strategy. Smaller donors on autopilot, they may have a 10% drop but not enough to be catastrophic, especially with the $$ WSU and OSU will control. This fills a void for the next year or two that otherwise is a daunting task to cobble together as an independent, and at the same time provides a lot more flexibility than anything signed with the MWC. We still own the rights to the P12, the mountain west will still be there in 2 years.
Not sure I would count on that. We need them more than they need us. This is just shitting on them after they gave us a lifeline.

Not sure I would count on that. We need them more than they need us. This is just shitting on them after they gave us a lifeline.
Or, maybe the Mt. West - with 11 existing teams - didn't want to shuffle their schedules to add 2 more, and it was easier for the WCC - with 9 teams - to accommodate us.

Or, it's a hedge against the 10. If we set ourselves up as an affiliate with the MWC for all sports, they can argue that we've also left the conference. Having affiliate arrangements with different conferences makes it clear that we're not committed in any direction.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Nah. They were aware of this before it was announced I assure you. They are benefiting from the upcoming FB schedule or they wouldn’t have done it. I think they’re prefer this to OSU and WSU poaching their top programs for a newly formed PAC. Nobody’s getting shit on as long as there’s communication.

Nah. They were aware of this before it was announced I assure you. They are benefiting from the upcoming FB schedule or they wouldn’t have done it. I think they’re prefer this to OSU and WSU poaching their top programs for a newly formed PAC. Nobody’s getting shit on as long as there’s communication.
Yeah. The MWC is always going to be happy to take WSU and Oregon State to get former Power 5 schools that check all the relevant boxes and bring new, relatively large coastal markets, and a bump in the MWC's profile, should it come to that in a couple of years. I write that not out of disrespect for the MWC or its schools or with an outsized sense of WSU's significance (if anything, I lean toward excessive bearishness on that), but just as a reflection of reality. WSU has no reason to disrespect the MWC or treat them poorly, but it's fine to keep things businesslike and arms length while pursuing WSU's interests.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
The MWC tried to accommodate WSU and OSU, but it was too complicated and they gave us their blessing to bridge the gap with the WCC. Personally, I think it's a good move. We get more road games in NW cities like Spokane and Portland, as well as the State of California.

The MWC tried to accommodate WSU and OSU, but it was too complicated and they gave us their blessing to bridge the gap with the WCC. Personally, I think it's a good move. We get more road games in NW cities like Spokane and Portland, as well as the State of California.
And you know this how?

And P.S - I don't care or care to remember your condemning BS in that other thread. I move on to the next topic.

• Haha
Reactions: justinbgocougs
It's official with the WCC. Still looking for spots for men's and women's track and field, swimming and baseball. Forget Stu Jackson is now the WCC commissioner.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
WCC Commissioner Stu Jackson in a conversation with some Gonzaga podcasters about 2 weeks ago. Good stuff on OSU, WSU, and the WCC-PAC-2 agreement, plus NIL and the transfer portal.

Stu Jackson's turn to talk. And he talks.

Stu Jackson made a really good impression on me in this interview. Why couldn't we have had him instead of Kliavkoff?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT