ADVERTISEMENT

We need a new offensive scheme: it's that simple

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I think Dickert limits what the OC can do. Nothing over the middle to the TE. Nothing creative other than the dink and dunk stuff we say last year. I don't think this is on Arbuckle.

You put 8 in the box and you have a soft o-line and run game that can't muster up yards.

We need creativity and utilizing more of the field to move the chains.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I think Dickert limits what the OC can do. Nothing over the middle to the TE. Nothing creative other than the dink and dunk stuff we say last year. I don't think this is on Arbuckle.

You put 8 in the box and you have a soft o-line and run game that can't muster up yards.

Before that, or at least more important, we need a lot of bigger/stronger/more talented offensive linemen! If you took Alabama or Georgia's offensive line and dropped it into Pullman for the season, we would be near the top of the league instead of holding down last place.

Before that, or at least more important, we need a lot of bigger/stronger/more talented offensive linemen! If you took Alabama or Georgia's offensive line and dropped it into Pullman for the season, we would be near the top of the league instead of holding down last place.
Maybe they are going what they can scheme-wise to cover up their offensive line. I don't know. I do sense Dickert will blame someone and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new offensive line coach next season.

Cam is a dual threat qb. That's what he was in HS, that's what he was at IW.

Someone decided that he needed to stand in the pocket and make reads, which he is incapable of.

CJD hitched his wagon to a race horse but wants it to be a plough horse. Too bad.

Let the kid run after he ruins the pocket and doesn't have the vision to find anyone or the WR's to catch 50/50 balls/ find open space.

#letCamcook

Reactions: spongeandshoot

Someone decided that he needed to stand in the pocket and make reads, which he is incapable of.

CJD hitched his wagon to a race horse but wants it to be a plough horse. Too bad.

Let the kid run after he ruins the pocket and doesn't have the vision to find anyone or the WR's to catch 50/50 balls/ find open space.

#letCamcook
You ever think the problem? Why couldn't Falk, Minshew, Tuel, Gordon, Bender, Halliday find open receivers when the defense decided to drop 8. The slot receiver in the offense is so important.

But we have a receiver problem. We have one kid with the size and speed to out physical a DB. We struggle near the red zone cause we have no height or a physical presence. Nunnally has zero hands. What happened to Smithson?

#letCamcook
does he really want to do that though? When we run read option I rarely see him keep it. When he has a lane to step up into I more often than not see him spin out and start running out of the pocket.

I did love the designed QB runs Saturday. QB power was beautiful. I just don’t think cam makes great choices when he has the choice to make.

If he ran forward instead of backward 10-15 times a game no doubt we’d be better off. Of course Mateer might be in at this point because of injury too 🤷

does he really want to do that though? When we run read option I rarely see him keep it. When he has a lane to step up into I more often than not see him spin out and start running out of the pocket.

I did love the designed QB runs Saturday. QB power was beautiful. I just don’t think cam makes great choices when he has the choice to make.

If he ran forward instead of backward 10-15 times a game no doubt we’d be better off. Of course Mateer might be in at this point because of injury too 🤷
he being Cam or CJD?

Cam? Who knows? He used to run towards the sticks early last season, so it seems to be in his dna.

CJD? Obviously not.

Do you have a suggestion? "We need creativity" is pretty close to sponge's shrieking about bubble screens.

WSU needs to run a system, and needs that system to be run by someone that knows what's he's doing. We're a have not school and a system helps bridge the gap. Whether the system is triple option, Air Raid or something else isn't as important as committing to a system, and having a guy that knows how to run it.

I think the Air Raid is the best fit for what we can consistently recruit to WSU. But, honestly, I wouldn't mind the triple option, if for no other reason then to read sponge's whining about the fullback dive and how WSU should throw more.

he being Cam or CJD?

Cam? Who knows? He used to run towards the sticks early last season, so it seems to be in his dna.

CJD? Obviously not.
I don’t think Dickert cares how we move the chains as long as we move them. I think he places an emphasis on taking care of the football and winning the turnover battle so the recklessness with the ball has to be getting to him.

I think there’s a myriad of things going on. The Oline has been bad, although better last week. You’ve gotta be able to run the ball a little bit to keep the d honest. We can’t. The receivers suck at the scramble drill, which is what the QB does cuz of the above. And Arbuckle isn’t good at adjusting, which is why we’ve had two games where we scored 6 and 7. It’s a whole pot of mess right now.

#letCamcook

If all he did was plant his back foot and take off after read 1 or 2, that would be a huge improvement to this offense.

I have been suspecting this lately as well.

I watched Western Kentucky's bowl game and his offense didn't look like Eric Morris was calling plays.

This year it does...especially since the bye

Do you have a suggestion? "We need creativity" is pretty close to sponge's shrieking about bubble screens.

WSU needs to run a system, and needs that system to be run by someone that knows what's he's doing. We're a have not school and a system helps bridge the gap. Whether the system is triple option, Air Raid or something else isn't as important as committing to a system, and having a guy that knows how to run it.

I think the Air Raid is the best fit for what we can consistently recruit to WSU. But, honestly, I wouldn't mind the triple option, if for no other reason then to read sponge's whining about the fullback dive and how WSU should throw more.

Got you down for triple option. Check.

Yes, I would be pissed if we ran the triple option and threw the ball 3 times a game...as would everyone else.

There is a reason that offense went the way of the dinosaur.

If all he did was plant his back foot and take off after read 1 or 2, that would be a huge improvement to this offense.

I have been suspecting this lately as well.

I watched Western Kentucky's bowl game and his offense didn't look like Eric Morris was calling plays.

This year it does...especially since the bye

Got you down for triple option. Check.

Yes, I would be pissed if we ran the triple option and threw the ball 3 times a game...as would everyone else.

There is a reason that offense went the way of the dinosaur.
Curious. What do you think WSU should run? Or do you just want to bitch and moan after the fact?

Curious. What do you think WSU should run? Or do you just want to bitch and moan after the fact?

Why are you a company yes man and lose your shit when people criticize bubble..oh sorry...wr screens that we continue to run and don't work/

I have explained my reasoning for wanting to run the ball more in previous threads. Not going to rehash them for you.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Why are you a company yes man and lose your shit when people criticize bubble..oh sorry...wr screens that we continue to run and don't work/

I have explained my reasoning for wanting to run the ball more in previous threads. Not going to rehash them for you.
So, you don't have any suggestions about what offensive system WSU should run. And you just want to bitch and moan after the fact. Not a surprise.

So, you don't have any suggestions about what offensive system WSU should run. And you just want to bitch and moan after the fact. Not a surprise.

I have said many times before that some simple adjustments would be sufficient.

I would be all good with the Air Raid if we ran the ball 23-30 times a game.

Even Connor Haliday said meat was left on the bone due to Leach's refusal to run the ball...and he said in a podcast pretty much the same number of runs I said above.

But any time I mention that, you flip out.

As for the current scheme, less horizontal passes, less 2 yd passes, less shit that has proven not to work.

And don't keep the best running back on the bench the whole freaking season.

You don't want to talk football. You want to pretend you are in court and argue minutiae and details that have very little to do with the main point being discussed.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I have said many times before that some simple adjustments would be sufficient.

I would be all good with the Air Raid if we ran the ball 23-30 times a game.

Even Connor Haliday said meat was left on the bone due to Leach's refusal to run the ball...and he said in a podcast pretty much the same number of runs I said above.

But any time I mention that, you flip out.

As for the current scheme, less horizontal passes, less 2 yd passes, less shit that has proven not to work.

And don't keep the best running back on the bench the whole freaking season.

You don't want to talk football. You want to pretend you are in court and argue minutiae and details that have very little to do with the main point being discussed.
So, you think WSU should run the Air Raid, but you want more rushing attempts? Is that correct?

It's obvious that a lot of folks on this board have broken out their "jump to conclusion" mats.

"Dickert is limiting Arbuckle's playcalling"

Other than pulling it out of thin air, what proof is there that Dickert has anything to do with offensive playcalling?

So, you think WSU should run the Air Raid, but you want more rushing attempts? Is that correct?

I would prefer the run and shoot but that is not feasible.

I really did like Leach's offense...but just wanted to run the ball at a rate stated above.

So with this team:

1. lets start with not keeping the best running back by far on the bench the entire season.

2. Cut out the plays that have not worked all season. I am looking at you horizontal pass plays. I'll use that term as a catch all for all of the wr screens. Also no more stupid 2 yd outs with no opportunity for yac. And trash the stupid trick plays.

3. Cam goes thru 1 or 2 reads and then takes off. No more standing back there or racking up more yards than Barry Sanders running sideline to sideline.

We need rushing yds from the qb to keep the chains moving and give the defense 1 more thing to worry about.

4, Run the ball at a frequency stated above. I would rather have a 1 yd gain or no yard gain than have Cam running back there sideline to sideline. But we showed on Saturday we are capable of running the ball at a better clip than that.

I don't know what's the issue, but Arbuckle's offense at W. Kentucky looked a lot better than it does at WSU. OL play is probably part of that, but a big issue is the QB's ability to read the defense and make the right throws.

Ward doesn't make reads. He decides who to throw to in the huddle, and if that receiver isn't open, he runs around.

Last edited:
I would prefer the run and shoot but that is not feasible.

I really did like Leach's offense...but just wanted to run the ball at a rate stated above.

So with this team:

1. lets start with not keeping the best running back by far on the bench the entire season.

2. Cut out the plays that have not worked all season. I am looking at you horizontal pass plays. I'll use that term as a catch all for all of the wr screens. Also no more stupid 2 yd outs with no opportunity for yac. And trash the stupid trick plays.

3. Cam goes thru 1 or 2 reads and then takes off. No more standing back there or racking up more yards than Barry Sanders running sideline to sideline.

We need rushing yds from the qb to keep the chains moving and give the defense 1 more thing to worry about.

4, Run the ball at a frequency stated above. I would rather have a 1 yd gain or no yard gain than have Cam running back there sideline to sideline. But we showed on Saturday we are capable of running the ball at a better clip than that.
2015-2018, rushing attempts per game were 22.6, 27.7, 23.3, 21.4. Those include sacks and carries by the QB.

It's obvious that a lot of folks on this board have broken out their "jump to conclusion" mats.

"Dickert is limiting Arbuckle's playcalling"

Other than pulling it out of thin air, what proof is there that Dickert has anything to do with offensive playcalling?
I'm making an assumption, but doesn't this offense look and feel like A LOT like it did last year? And Arbuckle's offense at Western Kentucky looked a bit different. My assumption is Dickert wants to use the passing game as an extension of the run and doesn't want mistakes, hence, nothing over the middle.

I could be VERY wrong, but when team vacate the middle of the field and we rarely attack the middle (I'm talking 5 yard outside of the line - ala Leach) with any mesh or drag routes, what other conclusion should we come up with.

I'm making an assumption, but doesn't this offense look and feel like A LOT like it did last year? And Arbuckle's offense at Western Kentucky looked a bit different. My assumption is Dickert wants to use the passing game as an extension of the run and doesn't want mistakes, hence, nothing over the middle.

I could be VERY wrong, but when team vacate the middle of the field and we rarely attack the middle (I'm talking 5 yard outside of the line - ala Leach) with any mesh or drag routes, what other conclusion should we come up with.
Not sure how to explain it exactly. My recollection of the W. KY offense was that there were lots of routes crossing the field at different depths. We saw some of that, particularly in the first half against OSU, when we had receivers running free all over the place. W.KY also used the inside run, once they had the defense spread out.

Since then, we've seen a steady diet of rush 3, drop 8. Or blitz the middle and drop 7. Ward's tendency is to run away as soon as he senses pressure, so maybe that's taking away the middle. Or, maybe the fact that we don't have receivers with size is pushing us to the outside. Or, maybe the fact that we can't run is the problem.

But, the certainty is that this Arbuckle offense doesn't look like the old Arbuckle offense.

Not sure how to explain it exactly. My recollection of the W. KY offense was that there were lots of routes crossing the field at different depths. We saw some of that, particularly in the first half against OSU, when we had receivers running free all over the place. W.KY also used the inside run, once they had the defense spread out.

Since then, we've seen a steady diet of rush 3, drop 8. Or blitz the middle and drop 7. Ward's tendency is to run away as soon as he senses pressure, so maybe that's taking away the middle. Or, maybe the fact that we don't have receivers with size is pushing us to the outside. Or, maybe the fact that we can't run is the problem.

But, the certainty is that this Arbuckle offense doesn't look like the old Arbuckle offense.
Perhaps people got fooled into thinking it was Arbuckle's offense.

The head coach at WKU has been there for about six years and has a deep offensive background.

I don't know what's the issue, but Arbuckle's offense at W. Kentucky looked a lot better than it does at WSU. OL play is probably part of that, but a big issue is the QB's ability to read the defense and make the right throws.

Ward doesn't make reads. He decides who to throw to in the huddle, and if that receiver isn't open, he runs around.

The boot licker will not tolerate this!

take out the sacks. Just take the rushing attempts by the running backs.

The qb never ran the ball when Leach was here. He let Minshew a few times. But sacks are not runs.
Go ahead and do the math yourself.

And yes the QBs did run. Not often but they did.

Then you will see that we didn't run the ball.

One of them we ran the about 7 times
And you've got absolutely nothing to show that if WSU had run the ball more the outcome would have been different. Vita Vea and Greg Gaines tackling the RB in the backfield proves what to you?

And you've got absolutely nothing to show that if WSU had run the ball more the outcome would have been different. Vita Vea and Greg Gaines tackling the RB in the backfield proves what to you?

You have nothing to show that it wouldn't.

You are the only one who thinks throwing the ball all day long when they drop 8 is a good idea.

Also Greg Gaines and Vita Vea didn't play in all of those Apple Cups

You have nothing to show that it wouldn't.

You are the only one who thinks throwing the ball all day long when they drop 8 is a good idea.

Also Greg Gaines and Vita Vea didn't play in all of those Apple Cups
As has been discussed, you believe every play should result in a big gain or a TD and if that doesn't happen you have a tantrum about bubble screens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT