ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen a better back up at qb

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
than WSU?

I would be surprised if Ward is here next year . But i like what Mateer has shown so far.

If WSU and OSU don’t get clarity and the players want and need clarity they will be gutted which is a shame .

In a perfect world and fantasy world where NIL won’t come take our players even if we get an invite to a conference, Dickert has good experience coming back at oline, qb, te, wr,Dt , thin at linebacker and a little thin at db.

They have shown the ability to get players via the portal that are productive . Is Pole (jc) a huge down grade from Kingston? I don’t think so.

i think they found a good linebacker in Richardson and they found very good WR’s and not much question they are better than the ones who left.

than WSU?

I would be surprised if Ward is here next year . But i like what Mateer has shown so far.

If WSU and OSU don’t get clarity and the players want and need clarity they will be gutted which is a shame .

In a perfect world and fantasy world where NIL won’t come take our players even if we get an invite to a conference, Dickert has good experience coming back at oline, qb, te, wr,Dt , thin at linebacker and a little thin at db.

They have shown the ability to get players via the portal that are productive . Is Pole (jc) a huge down grade from Kingston? I don’t think so.

i think they found a good linebacker in Richardson and they found very good WR’s and not much question they are better than the ones who left.
Loyal hasn’t

Not sure he's the best back up in CFB but we are likely the only team with an entire package of trick plays built around a 2 QB play.

Reactions: mikalalas
Come on Loyal, in all of your escapades and women from different generations, you’ve never found the “wrong” hole?
I have never said that, but I'm not going there. I could tell a couple of stories, but nah. I don't kiss and tell.

Mateer has got some snaps in and looked good doing it....but below is an article about the Top 10 quarterback rooms and there is a lot of talent out there.

Georgia's backup QB has a passer rating of 188.76. UW's backup QB has a rating of 207.97. Oklahoma's backup QB has a rating of 225.31. KSU has a true freshman named Avery Johnson at backup....and KSU fans love him as much as we love Mateer. His rating is 190.50

Mateer has a gaudy passing rating of 314.4...so he deserves to be in the conversation for sure. However, all of these guys have very small sample sets to judge from so it's really hard to say that any of them are truly better than the others. One big play makes a huge difference with small sample sizes. It's great that he's looking good and I feel good about our future, but just like it's too early to hand Cam Ward the Heisman based on four games....it's probably a little early to say that Mateer is the best backup in college football based on less than two dozen snaps. I'm glad we have him though.

Mateer has got some snaps in and looked good doing it....but below is an article about the Top 10 quarterback rooms and there is a lot of talent out there.

Georgia's backup QB has a passer rating of 188.76. UW's backup QB has a rating of 207.97. Oklahoma's backup QB has a rating of 225.31. KSU has a true freshman named Avery Johnson at backup....and KSU fans love him as much as we love Mateer. His rating is 190.50

Mateer has a gaudy passing rating of 314.4...so he deserves to be in the conversation for sure. However, all of these guys have very small sample sets to judge from so it's really hard to say that any of them are truly better than the others. One big play makes a huge difference with small sample sizes. It's great that he's looking good and I feel good about our future, but just like it's too early to hand Cam Ward the Heisman based on four games....it's probably a little early to say that Mateer is the best backup in college football based on less than two dozen snaps. I'm glad we have him though.
I’d take Mateer over anyone else at this point. He’s got a sample size that covers two years. He steps in and the offense doesn’t miss a beat. There’s no qb controversy but Mateer is read to roll.

Oh you’ve been there. It’s just a numbers game and a matter of time.
I'm so glad you are infatuated with my love life. Many, many stories to tell, but butt sex is not one I will share. I like pussy. You boring old married guys (I've been there twice, but neither hits my top 10 list) have no idea. :) Hahaha

Remember when Hilinski stepped in against Boise State?

Some QB's were/are true game savers.

Again... not a diss on Mateer. Just not giving him a trophy yet.

Reactions: Cougsocal

I meant this year, I confess I havent seen many back ups, but he looks poised and if Cam had to miss a game because of a minor injury I think he would rise to the occasion.

I meant this year, I confess I havent seen many back ups, but he looks poised and if Cam had to miss a game because of a minor injury I think he would rise to the occasion.

The article and the stats that I posted are from this year. My point was that there are plenty of other fanbases who probably think that their backups are studs too and have the numbers to back it up. We are lucky to have Mateer and I think he could step in and do a great job.

Bunch of Ricky Turner haters in this thread.

And, arguably, Mike Pattinson was the best backup we never saw based on his first few games before he got hurt the following year.

Remember when Hilinski stepped in against Boise State?

Some QB's were/are true game savers.

Again... not a diss on Mateer. Just not giving him a trophy yet.
Coming off the bench, 21 pts down and leading us to a win, how quick people forget! Second biggest Cougar "come from behind" win ever, I believe! Poor Kid!

Reactions: Cougini5591
I like what I've seen from Mateer, but I haven't seen him throw the ball much. At least not when it's 3rd and 7 in a key situation.

Bunch of Ricky Turner haters in this thread.

And, arguably, Mike Pattinson was the best backup we never saw based on his first few games before he got hurt the following year.
Ryan Leaf? Last time a back up beat out a seasoned starter!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT