ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 Opponent Northern Colorado

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Picked to finish last in the Big Sky Conference by both the coaches and the media.

Idaho already up to #8. Wow. All my Idaho fans (which is most of the people near me) are very glad they are back down to FCS, and this validates things.

Reactions: earldacoug
Idaho already up to #8. Wow. All my Idaho fans (which is most of the people near me) are very glad they are back down to FCS, and this validates things.
Personally, I think Idaho may do better than #8.

WSU and Eastern.

Two legit Top 10 teams this season hailing from Greater Spokane.

Says a lot about the football being played in the metro area.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The head coach at Weber State might be a guy to watch. Looking at his resume and record he took that team from nowhere to somewhere fast.

WSU and Eastern.

Two legit Top 10 teams this season hailing from Greater Spokane.

Says a lot about the football being played in the metro area.

You do know that there are only four kids on the roster from Spokane and nearby areas...right? And none of them had a meaningful starting role last year?

I'm confused. How is being picked #8 in the Big Sky a reason to be glad?
Better than dead last in Sun Belt and dead last in FBS polls. It is clearly a step up in being competitive. But I see your point. They were picked 3rd in the preseason poll for 2018, but finished 9th.

You do know that there are only four kids on the roster from Spokane and nearby areas...right? And none of them had a meaningful starting role last year?

Which is annoying because there have been several D-1 players from the area in recent years and we essentially had no chance with any of them.

So what's your take on why WSU can't land them?

I have no informed opinion to give on the subject and haven't heard/read anything that I can recall. However, I think that there are a few possible candidates:

1) The lack of overall success from 2004-2014 created a generation of kids that didn't have strong loyalties to WSU.
2) The sheer magnitude of the disaster of the Wulff tenure might have tainted minds.
3) Leach has made it clear that he'd rather start a hard working kid from West Texas over a top tier kid from Spokane (or anywhere really).
4) The quality of the talent pool in the Spokane metro may be limited and Leach isn't spending resources developing the overall relationships necessary to land the good kids who show up.
5) It's a conspiracy by the Gonzaga illuminati to maintain their dominance in basketball

According to number 3, I do think Leach ruffled some feathers in state by not aggressively recruiting Washington. Previous regimes seemed to fill out classes with fringe guys from in state (at least 2 or 3 a year) in order to keep our flag planted around the state. I think there has been an expectation that if you are going to be a scholarship talent at the FBS level, a WSU offer is part of that. Leach hasn't been as generous in offering G5 talents who aren't perfect fits for what he wants. Plenty of resentment from local coaches who feel like their kids are entitled to scholarships to WSU. They hold no such resentment when Petersen doesn't get around to offering their kids.

I have no informed opinion to give on the subject and haven't heard/read anything that I can recall. However, I think that there are a few possible candidates:

1) The lack of overall success from 2004-2014 created a generation of kids that didn't have strong loyalties to WSU.
2) The sheer magnitude of the disaster of the Wulff tenure might have tainted minds.
3) Leach has made it clear that he'd rather start a hard working kid from West Texas over a top tier kid from Spokane (or anywhere really).
4) The quality of the talent pool in the Spokane metro may be limited and Leach isn't spending resources developing the overall relationships necessary to land the good kids who show up.
5) It's a conspiracy by the Gonzaga illuminati to maintain their dominance in basketball

The head coach at Weber State might be a guy to watch. Looking at his resume and record he took that team from nowhere to somewhere fast.
I thought he'd make a really good defensive coordinator for Leach, but I think we got someone as a better coordinator. If I were BYU....

I thought he'd make a really good defensive coordinator for Leach, but I think we got someone as a better coordinator. If I were BYU....

If he is a LDS guy BYU would be wise to keep him in mind. He is probably under 50 years old. They might be able to get a good coach and keep him for 20 years.

If he is a LDS guy BYU would be wise to keep him in mind. He is probably under 50 years old. They might be able to get a good coach and keep him for 20 years.
Run the Air Raid with Matt Mumme from Nevada as OC. BYU loves their passing game...always have..I think. Harrell would of been a logical choice, but who saw him being hired at $C? I'm going to out on limb and say he is Mormon.

OK, found it and he is. https://www.deseretnews.com/article...e-church-with-pressure-filled-profession.html

Last edited:
Plenty of resentment from local coaches who feel like their kids are entitled to scholarships to WSU. They hold no such resentment when Petersen doesn't get around to offering their kids.

This is something that is oh so true and I will never understand. Petersen is a first class sanctimonious douche, but walks on water at every high school in the state for some reason.

Unfortunately idaho is the old woman crawling on the floor of the cut rate nursing home that their sleazy son in law (Chuck Staben) found after getting power of attorney.

That's pretty funny. Sad but true.

Doesn't help that Petrino has gone to the oldest Little League coach trick in the book and let his midget son pitch.

This is something that is oh so true and I will never understand. Petersen is a first class sanctimonious douche, but walks on water at every high school in the state for some reason.

He is white rice. He doesn't rock the boat. He doesn't say anything controversial. He is at the local school and has probably offered access to his staff for help, whether they use it or not.

If I were Leach... I would recognize that WSU isn't going to get the love that the uw or even UO gets in the PNW. Im going to do the best I can with the kids I like. Im gonna work really hard to get as many local kids as I can that fit what my program needs. Otherwise, Im in California, Hawaii, Vegas and Arizona. There might be a dozen kids in a big year that are BCS type kids in WA, OR, ID. There is zero reason to commit a large number of man hours or financial resources to schools where you aren't received as well as an in state school should be.

Washington kids look to leave the state altogether before they consider WSU. I would wager there are kids that say no having never stepped on campus to see the school. Which is certainly their choice. But if a high school coach wants me to show up at his school and recruit his kids and offer them scholarships, he for damn sure better get them on my campus.

Washington kids look to leave the state altogether before they consider WSU. I would wager there are kids that say no having never stepped on campus to see the school. Which is certainly their choice. But if a high school coach wants me to show up at his school and recruit his kids and offer them scholarships, he for damn sure better get them on my campus.

There is a lot of truth to this, especially in my experience living on the eastside. In the Seattle area the desire is to stay home and play at UW, but over here the desire always seems to be to leave town to play. I don't understand it. But I also don't understand lifetime 509ers who root for UW, so maybe I am just clueless.

There is a lot of truth to this, especially in my experience living on the eastside. In the Seattle area the desire is to stay home and play at UW, but over here the desire always seems to be to leave town to play. I don't understand it. But I also don't understand lifetime 509ers who root for UW, so maybe I am just clueless.

IMO, which we all know is right all the time, I don't think WSU has spent enough time spreading the gospel of Coug in Eastern Washington. I think they've flown over or driven past Eastern Washington cities on their way to the Puget Sound. Where they have tried to spread the gospel of Coug.

If WSU pushed it's school on Eastern Washington for decades it's gonna add up. You're gonna see a deeper fan base. You're gonna see more students. You're gonna see more of everything.

Instead they have chased the fools gold that is the Puget Sound. Even going so far as to move conference ball games to Seattle, only to see attendance drop and eventually its end.

WSU has done a woefully poor job of winning its backyard first. It is a failure from the top of the organization down. And IMO, nothing will change until that philosophy changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT