ADVERTISEMENT

Brand X: Ann McCoy "uniquely qualified" to lead WSU Athletics into Pac-2 era

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
The article says Mrs. McCoy went on a statewide media tour in May, a likely indicator Dr. Schultz will promote her from "interim AD" before too long.

From the article:

"McCoy came into the blitz with a series of victories to direct the narrative. Since taking over for Pat Chun on March 27, she wrapped up a contract with The CW Network and FOX Sports to broadcast the Cougars' six home football games; announced a two-year home in the Mountain West for Cougar baseball and swimming; hired two new head coaches; and extended Kamie Ethridge."

Brand X says Ann came across as "knowledgeable, skilled, measured and personable. That's the holy quad of professionalism for an athletic director."

So far, so good.

She's been at WSU for a long time. Nice to see Dr. Schultz reward someone for being loyal.

12469295.png

Last edited:
The article says Mrs. McCoy went on a statewide media tour in May, a likely indicator Dr. Schultz will promote her from "interim AD" before too long.

From the article:

"McCoy came into the blitz with a series of victories to direct the narrative. Since taking over for Pat Chun on March 27, she wrapped up a contract with The CW Network and FOX Sports to broadcast the Cougars' six home football games; announced a two-year home in the Mountain West for Cougar baseball and swimming; hired two new head coaches; and extended Kamie Ethridge."

Brand X says Ann came across as "knowledgeable, skilled, measured and personable. That's the holy quad of professionalism for an athletic director."

So far, so good.

She's been at WSU for a long time. Nice to see Dr. Schultz reward someone for being loyal.

12469295.png
Well Brand X is in full kiss-ass mode again. Where to start.

"Before becoming WSU interim AD, she oversaw all aspects of day-to-day operations in WSU athletics." Really. So what were Chun and all the other Associate AD's doing?

Why didn't Chun take her with him? Why didn't Sterk? Why didn't Moos? He took John Johnson with him. Kamie got the typical one-year extension. Earth-shattering. Our entire BB team left, and we hired a Big Sky coach. Major victory! We limped into the lame CW TV contract. Wow! She has done wonders drumming up Cougar support for the Apple Cup. Oh, wait, we have sold 1,700 tickets.

Speaking of Johnson, who has been the AD at 3 stops along with 15 years as WSU's #2 guy, he recently resigned from PSU to get closer to ailing parents. I assume that means Spokane where he grew up. Well Pullman is pretty close to Spokane.

"Uniquely qualified". Oh, in what ways?

I could go on all day.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Well Brand X is in full kiss-ass mode again. Where to start.

"Before becoming WSU interim AD, she oversaw all aspects of day-to-day operations in WSU athletics." Really. So what were Chun and all the other Associate AD's doing?

Why didn't Chun take her with him? Why didn't Sterk? Why didn't Moos? He took John Johnson with him. Kamie got the typical one-year extension. Earth-shattering. Our entire BB team left, and we hired a Big Sky coach. Major victory! We limped into the lame CW TV contract. Wow! She has done wonders drumming up Cougar support for the Apple Cup. Oh, wait, we have sold 1,700 tickets.

Speaking of Johnson, who has been the AD at 3 stops along with 15 years as WSU's #2 guy, he recently resigned from PSU to get closer to ailing parents. I assume that means Spokane where he grew up. Well Pullman is pretty close to Spokane.

"Uniquely qualified". Oh, in what ways?

I could go on all day.
“Uniquely qualified” = she’s in Pullman already, and we can hire her for less than anyone else.

We need new blood. It's that simple. We are in a situation where we need new thinking, new leadership and a new vision. I am sure she's nice and all, but WSU athletics is mediocrity and unfortunately, she's a part of the reason for mediocrity.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results. Meh. Sounds like classic WSU. The only time they have ever stepped out of the box was hiring Mike Leach, which worked out nicely.

Puff piece building support for a cheap internal promotion of a career subordinate ... man, that is hard to imagine from Brand X.

Well hey, everyone seems to agree on this topic. Except one poster, but Pete doesn't count. :)

:)

Well I'm no expert - that's for sure.

Just think it's nice to see a person like Mrs. McCoy who's been loyal to WSU for a long time get an opportunity. I wish her the best and hope it works out for everyone

Puff piece building support for a cheap internal promotion of a career subordinate ... man, that is hard to imagine from Brand X.

425, I try to read Brand X on a regular basis (they seem to have more news articles than CougZone)_ and they do tend to have an optimistic tone which I admit I appreciate.

It did seem like Brand X had it out for Coach Leach, but I never really heard a reason why. I don't know if it was personal or they didn't like his style of play or something else unrelated to football?

425, I try to read Brand X on a regular basis (they seem to have more news articles than CougZone)_ and they do tend to have an optimistic tone which I admit I appreciate.

It did seem like Brand X had it out for Coach Leach, but I never really heard a reason why. I don't know if it was personal or they didn't like his style of play or something else unrelated to football?
I don't know why either, but they wrote something shitty. Then when the Brand X guy pissed Leach off at a press conference and Leach reamed him a new one, that was it. Optimistic = major butt kissing to get inside interviews and info. That said, I do read them often, as they do get good info.

Just think it's nice to see a person like Mrs. McCoy who's been loyal to WSU for a long time get an opportunity. I wish her the best and hope it works out for everyone
Pete - Anne has been loyal to WSU because she has had zero opportunities to advance anywhere else. Like a lot of people at WSU. Nothing wrong with that, just don't mistake loyalty for no place else to go because you ain't that great. Let's compare her to John David Wicker, the SDSU AD, who I believe makes Buco bucks. I knew him, great guy with a bigtime Southern drawl. He was an underling at WSU, was there at the same time as Anne (how many years I can't remember), but he was a go getter and has done great things with his career.

I too admire her loyalty/ longevity, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the best person for the job.

I too admire her loyalty/ longevity, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the best person for the job.
The real question is if she is the best person for the job given the undeniable fact that our athletic Department is desperately cash strapped. If you hire someone from outside the department, then where will WSU find the money to pay for that new hire. If you promote her from within and do a reorganization rather than backfill someone into her current position, it can help with the AD bottom line.

Sad, unfortunate, but that is our reality.

The real question is if she is the best person for the job given the undeniable fact that our athletic Department is desperately cash strapped. If you hire someone from outside the department, then where will WSU find the money to pay for that new hire. If you promote her from within and do a reorganization rather than backfill someone into her current position, it can help with the AD bottom line.

Sad, unfortunate, but that is our reality.
WSU too often traps itself by rewarding loyalty or longevity. Neither of those has any connection to competence, effectiveness, or productivity. We'd be much better off recognizing and rewarding those things, and letting people go who've been around for a long time but not really done anything.

Read her bio. It doesn't mention any accomplishments, it just says where she's been and what she's been in charge of. Personnel and marketing people really like to grab minor accomplishments and tout them as if they're major victories, but it doesn't look like they could even find a minor accomplishment for her. The big selling point is that she's been at WSU for 20 years. Big deal - what has she gotten done?

I don't see anything in her experience that makes me think she's even slightly qualified to lead the whole department. Especially not through a complete rebuild of the conference and media deals, lawsuits, and resource shortages.

The cash from the conference should be ample to make an outstanding AD hire, even if it's temporary. This is not the time to go cheap and hire someone who's been hanging around the basement of Bohler for 20 years. It's the time to find someone who can go toe-to-toe with Yormark, Sankey, and the others - and make them an offer they can't refuse.

Unfortunately, Schulz is not Don Corleone. Worse, his current interim Pullman chancellor (who will probably get the interim label removed too) has been the chancellor of WSU Global for years, and that's his pet. Putting him in charge of a physical campus and athletics will be a complete disaster.

The big selling point is that she's been at WSU for 20 years. Big deal - what has she gotten done?

I don't see anything in her experience that makes me think she's even slightly qualified to lead the whole department.

Anne's been in Pullman for two decades and Loyal says she's a really likeable gal — which pretty much makes her the polar opposite of her irascible predecessor forever looking to climb the ladder

Maybe Dr. Schultz is determined to put someone in place who views WSU as more than just a paycheck and who might have to replace before he rides off in to the sunset next summer?

WSU too often traps itself by rewarding loyalty or longevity. Neither of those has any connection to competence, effectiveness, or productivity. We'd be much better off recognizing and rewarding those things, and letting people go who've been around for a long time but not really done anything.

Read her bio. It doesn't mention any accomplishments, it just says where she's been and what she's been in charge of. Personnel and marketing people really like to grab minor accomplishments and tout them as if they're major victories, but it doesn't look like they could even find a minor accomplishment for her. The big selling point is that she's been at WSU for 20 years. Big deal - what has she gotten done?

I don't see anything in her experience that makes me think she's even slightly qualified to lead the whole department. Especially not through a complete rebuild of the conference and media deals, lawsuits, and resource shortages.

The cash from the conference should be ample to make an outstanding AD hire, even if it's temporary. This is not the time to go cheap and hire someone who's been hanging around the basement of Bohler for 20 years. It's the time to find someone who can go toe-to-toe with Yormark, Sankey, and the others - and make them an offer they can't refuse.

Unfortunately, Schulz is not Don Corleone. Worse, his current interim Pullman chancellor (who will probably get the interim label removed too) has been the chancellor of WSU Global for years, and that's his pet. Putting him in charge of a physical campus and athletics will be a complete disaster.
OMG I had not heard about the new interim chancellor, who I know. I won't comment other than to point to his smug picture. That says it all. And yes, another longtime clinger-on. As long as I'm at it, the ever-increasing number of WSU "Executives" includes, in addition to all the Chancellors, 3 VP positions, all new positions under Schulz and all internal promotees.

And why the F does Everett, with 212 students as of Fall 2023, 44% of them part time, needs a Chancellor?

Our enrollment is scary (link below). Go to Page 2 for the detailed stats. Pullman alone is down 2,700 FTE in the last 12 years. 5 straight years of declines under Schulz while non-faculty employment continues to increase. Faculty and grad are static or declining (depending on what years you look at. And this guy has a whole 'nother year to destroy us.

She's available, in town, wants the job, won't cost much, and is familiar with where the bodies are buried from already being involved. A very good candidate probably wouldn't want to come work for a lame duck president, even if you could find the right person to want to step into the challenge, er, "opportunity."

(It really is an opportunity for someone who could navigate it well, and has more upside than a lot of other G of 5 or worse AD roles, but it has a high likelihood of being a tough gig that results in a lack of success, too.)

If Schulz wasn't retiring, there would be a better likelihood of getting the person WSU actually needs, like 95Coug suggests. Because he is, it would be relatively tough, even more so than usual.

I am struggling to think of the last significant thing Schulz did that was highly arduous and involved actually accomplishing something significant at the institutional level, not just gritting through travails. E.g., he never would have done what Elson did to get that med school in place. It would upset too many people and force him to deal with some discomfort and unhappy campers, all while requiring a lot of uncomfortable, difficult work over time with a low likelihood of success.

Something like that would have been doing what it took to get WSU into the Big 12. Unlikely and extremely challenging, I know. I appreciate that WSU had almost no leverage, it would have to involve a lot of pushing and creativity, and would piss off a lot of "stakeholders" at and otherwise involved with WSU who wouldn't like the travel, being in a conference with Texas and private religious schools, and all that. I'm not saying there was anything other than a very low chance of making that happen, but WSU getting a med school is somewhere in the same difficulty/likelihood ballpark, even if less difficult objectively.

Hiring an outstanding AD and spurning McCoy is nowhere close to that in terms of the degree of difficulty, but it still isn't easy and would cost some money. So it won't happen.

She's available, in town, wants the job, won't cost much, and is familiar with where the bodies are buried from already being involved. A very good candidate probably wouldn't want to come work for a lame duck president, even if you could find the right person to want to step into the challenge, er, "opportunity."

(It really is an opportunity for someone who could navigate it well, and has more upside than a lot of other G of 5 or worse AD roles, but it has a high likelihood of being a tough gig that results in a lack of success, too.)

If Schulz wasn't retiring, there would be a better likelihood of getting the person WSU actually needs, like 95Coug suggests. Because he is, it would be relatively tough, even more so than usual.

I am struggling to think of the last significant thing Schulz did that was highly arduous and involved actually accomplishing something significant at the institutional level, not just gritting through travails. E.g., he never would have done what Elson did to get that med school in place. It would upset too many people and force him to deal with some discomfort and unhappy campers, all while requiring a lot of uncomfortable, difficult work over time with a low likelihood of success.

Something like that would have been doing what it took to get WSU into the Big 12. Unlikely and extremely challenging, I know. I appreciate that WSU had almost no leverage, it would have to involve a lot of pushing and creativity, and would piss off a lot of "stakeholders" at and otherwise involved with WSU who wouldn't like the travel, being in a conference with Texas and private religious schools, and all that. I'm not saying there was anything other than a very low chance of making that happen, but WSU getting a med school is somewhere in the same difficulty/likelihood ballpark, even if less difficult objectively.

Hiring an outstanding AD and spurning McCoy is nowhere close to that in terms of the degree of difficulty, but it still isn't easy and would cost some money. So it won't happen.
And Floyd shepherded the Med School through while basically being on his deathbed. Go get John Johnson from Spokane as a stopgap until we get a new Prez.

Reactions: Observer11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT