ADVERTISEMENT

What about another super league?

spongeandshoot

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2020
I don't know the logistics of any of this...but I would think some forward thinking people could see market demand for the hole all of this bullshit creates.

So what about creating a new league and tell the top 10-15 schools to go F themselves.

Then recreate regional conferences that make sense and a streamlined service devoid off all the fat at a reasonable price?

A lot of these schools are going to get booted from the conferences anyway in 5 years or so

I don't know the logistics of any of this...but I would think some forward thinking people could see market demand for the hole all of this bullshit creates.

So what about creating a new league and tell the top 10-15 schools to go F themselves.

Then recreate regional conferences that make sense and a streamlined service devoid off all the fat at a reasonable price?

A lot of these schools are going to get booted from the conferences anyway in 5 years or so
It won't work because ALL of the teams in the SEC and B1G think they are deserving and just one year away from a Natty. The smallest you might see is 24, but realistically itll be 32 because of the familiarity with the NFL.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
It won't work because ALL of the teams in the SEC and B1G think they are deserving and just one year away from a Natty. The smallest you might see is 24, but realistically itll be 32 because of the familiarity with the NFL.

You could be right.

I suspect in 5 years or so, there will be more clarity and a lot more pissed off schools who will feel about the same as we are right now.

Then maybe we will have the leverage to do something

You could be right.

I suspect in 5 years or so, there will be more clarity and a lot more pissed off schools who will feel about the same as we are right now.

Then maybe we will have the leverage to do something
But they will all still have a seat at the table AND be receiving TV/conference welfare. It'll be very hard for them to walk away from that.

If their situation changes, however...

I think all of this NIL stuff is eventually going to settle down and things are going to function much like they always have. The blue bloods will bid on the best of the best, and the programs ranked 20-70 will sign the best of the rest.

As we've all learned over the years, there are a bunch of diamonds in the rough. While Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas A&M flex over the top rated kid in the portal, lost in the shuffle will be kids like Gardner Minshew and some random kid from SE Missouri State who hauled in 80 catches his sophomore year.

Playing time is still going to be key, and NIL or not, highly regarded QBs, WRs, and RBs aren't going to be keen on being 3rd on the depth chart. WSU, my Mountain West Conference standards, is a large, well regarded University with a lot of alumni. There's no reason why we can't grow our NIL collective and become one of the top-3 programs in that league. WSU has a Nationally regarded reputation for QBs. If we can pony up $500K, we'll be able to find proven QB talent. The key is going to be how we invest our NIL resources. You can't tell me that the bottom 2/3 of the MWC will put together better rosters than ours. You also can't tell me that the middle of the road B!G and B12 programs are going to have rosters that are light years better than ours.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
But they will all still have a seat at the table AND be receiving TV/conference welfare. It'll be very hard for them to walk away from that.

If their situation changes, however...
I don't think we have to do anything other than assemble the best group of available West coast programs and make growing our NIL collective priority #1. If we can sustain a competitive level equal to Boise State and Fresno State recently, our fans will be happy.

I don't think we have to do anything other than assemble the best group of available West coast programs and make growing our NIL collective priority #1. If we can sustain a competitive level equal to Boise State and Fresno State recently, our fans will be happy.

In the long run, as long as we can watch our team and they are reasonably competitive against the teams we are playing against, it's going to be fine. My only hope is that the traitorous 10 all struggle in their new conferences...Arizona in particular. F#ck those guys.

The balancing factor that needs to happen to benefit the smaller schools is that there needs to be a NIL dollar amount at or above which a player is no longer eligible for a scholarship, but the school offering it still loses that scholarship slot. That will give smaller schools the advantage of being able to offer free education for those athletes that actually value an education and aren't just looking for stepping stone to the NFL.

Its a half-baked idea, but I think there are some teeth there.

In the long run, as long as we can watch our team and they are reasonably competitive against the teams we are playing against, it's going to be fine. My only hope is that the traitorous 10 all struggle in their new conferences...Arizona in particular. F#ck those guys.
That's how I feel too. If we can settle into becoming a consistent top-3 program in the MWC, we'll be able to hang with 2/3 of the super conference teams. Fresno State won at Purdue and Arizona State this year, and they finished 6th in the Mountain West Conference.

Only one problem with the Diamonds in the rough, you have to find several new ones each year that contribute right away. In the past they were with your program for 4 or 5 years, now if they have a great year they are gone, and they leave for money. I don't blame them; it is just the way it is these days. College football has been the minor league for the NFL for years. Using baseball terms, if the bluebloods, of 30 teams are Triple A, the rests of the schools become double A, and their good players move up to triple A each year. We see that happening right now, and unless there is a cap on NIL money and more restrictions to the portal, that trend will continue. Interesting how the major leagues in all sports have tried to create parity amongst their teams. College football has no interest in parity, which will become an issue eventually.

11 of the past 15 College Football Champs are from the SEC, Clemson (2), and Ohio St and Florida State are the only schools outside of the SEC to win it. Once the super league is created, college football could very well end up like NASCAR, they have a strong following, but appeal to less people.. Here is an interesting NASCAR fact, NASCAR’s popularity has waned over recent years. Just over a decade ago the Daytona 500 would draw 19 million viewers. The 2019 Daytona 500 viewership was just 9 million. If the national championship game is the same 3 or 4 teams each year, the rest of the country starts to lose interest. Going to 12 teams next year will help, but in 2-3 years, due to the fact 2 conferences and the networks will be running college football, 8 or 9 of those teams will be from the Big 10 or SEC, and that won't help.

Last edited:
Only one problem with the Diamonds in the rough, you have to find several new ones each year that contribute right away. In the past they were with your program for 4 or 5 years, now if they have a great year they are gone, and they leave for money. I don't blame them; it is just the way it is these days. College football has been the minor league for the NFL for years. Using baseball terms, if the bluebloods, of 30 teams are Triple A, the rests of the schools become double A, and their good players move up to triple A each year. We see that happening right now, and unless there is a cap on NIL money and more restrictions to the portal, that trend will continue. Interesting how the major leagues in all sports have tried to create parity amongst their teams. College football has no interest in parity, which will become an issue eventually.

11 of the past 15 College Football Champs are from the SEC, Clemson (2), and Ohio St and Florida State are the only schools outside of the SEC to win it. Once the super league is created, college football could very well end up like NASCAR, they have a strong following, but appeal to less people.. Here is an interesting NASCAR fact, NASCAR’s popularity has waned over recent years. Just over a decade ago the Daytona 500 would draw 19 million viewers. The 2019 Daytona 500 viewership was just 9 million. If the national championship game is the same 3 or 4 teams each year, the rest of the country starts to lose interest. Going to 12 teams next year will help, but in 2-3 years, due to the fact 2 conferences and the networks will be running college football, 8 or 9 of those teams will be from the Big 10 or SEC, and that won't help.
You're not wrong, but WSU is, and always has been, a AA program. We compete for bowl games, rare Apple Cup victories, and the very occasional run at a conference title.

If the program completely implodes, it's on WSU and our fan base. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect us to be one of the premier programs in the PacWest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT