ADVERTISEMENT

What are your feelings about John Mateer?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
With the speculation that Cam Ward may not return for 2024, what might that mean about the QB position for next fall?

So far in this his redshirt freshman season, Mateer has appeared in 9 of 10 games, completing 11 of 14 passes for 181 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT. He's also rushed for 81 yards and 3 TDs. Limited data, but the numbers look promising.

Mateer is a former Top 250 recruit in football-crazy Texas, so he's got the pedigree.

CJD and Arbuckle already have a HS commitment from a Canadian kid playing for a powerhouse program in Florida.

Will they try to bring in an experienced QB from the transfer portal or is it safe to say Mateer definitely will be QB1 entering 2024 fall camp?

With the speculation that Cam Ward may not return for 2024, what might that mean about the QB position for next fall?

So far in this his redshirt freshman season, Mateer has appeared in 9 of 10 games, completing 11 of 14 passes for 181 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT. He's also rushed for 81 yards and 3 TDs. Limited data, but the numbers look promising.

Mateer is a former Top 250 recruit in football-crazy Texas, so he's got the pedigree.

CJD and Arbuckle already have a HS commitment from a Canadian kid playing for a powerhouse program in Florida.

Will they try to bring in an experienced QB from the transfer portal or is it safe to say Mateer definitely will be QB1 entering 2024 fall camp?
My feeling is he’s a gamer and I want to see him on the field. My guess is he is not showing something in practice that coaches want to see to give him a shot. I saw the spring game and it was clear Ward was the guy. I just get this feeling with Mateer he turns it up to 11 when the lights are brightest…like Minshew. Hope we get to see him get a legit shot for a season.

My feeling is he’s a gamer and I want to see him on the field. My guess is he is not showing something in practice that coaches want to see to give him a shot. I saw the spring game and it was clear Ward was the guy. I just get this feeling with Mateer he turns it up to 11 when the lights are brightest…like Minshew. Hope we get to see him get a legit shot for a season.
Just out of curiosity what makes you think he won’t enter the portal. When people talk about a mass exodus no one is a safe bet to not look around .

Just out of curiosity what makes you think he won’t enter the portal. When people talk about a mass exodus no one is a safe bet to not look around .

???

Ed, are you talking about Ward or Mateer (or both)?

Sorry, wasn't sure

Did I say that? I think at this point anyone could enter the portal. I hope he doesn’t I think he could be a special player.

My feelings about Mateer (thread title, swoon). Hmmm. Well I think this has been discussed.

That aside, hell yeah he is the guy. Good arm, tough as shit. We HAVE to keep him.

Jury is out until we get some stability.

One more offensive scheme/ coach/OC/HC might mess with this kids head too much. Unfortunately, this entire team might be a "lost generation" of kids due to all the bullshit.

Did I say that? I think at this point anyone could enter the portal. I hope he doesn’t I think he could be a special player.

Sounds encouraging 90. I wasn't able to watch the game against No. Colorado, which is the one when Mateer put up some good numbers. Be great if WSU's next all-conference QB is already on campus.

My feelings about Mateer (thread title, swoon). Hmmm. Well I think this has been discussed.

That aside, hell yeah he is the guy. Good arm, tough as shit. We HAVE to keep him.

Loyal, did you mean to say you want Mateer to be QB1 soon? I didn't see a recent thread on benching Ward, so I must've missed it.

Sounds like Mateer could be another Gardner Minshew or Jason Gesser as far as being a gritty playmaker

Sounds encouraging 90. I wasn't able to watch the game against No. Colorado, which is the one when Mateer put up some good numbers. Be great if WSU's next all-conference QB is already on campus.

Loyal, did you mean to say you want Mateer to be QB1 soon? I didn't see a recent thread on benching Ward, so I must've missed it.

Sounds like Mateer could be another Gardner Minshew or Jason Gesser as far as being a gritty playmaker

Well, if you refer to the game thread, he said that he thinks Mateer is "hot"...and then there are the Swoon comments.

So that should tell you something.

He got in against Furd last year too and looked good. Like i said I think he’s got a little it factor. I think he’s a winner and we've lost 6 straight.

Heres the thing about that position. You can have a super talented guy who puts up numbers and his team constantly falls short. You can also have a guy who is unorthodox and his numbers don’t always look great but he finds a way to win (extreme example, Tim Tebow). I’ve got a hunch Mateer is that dude…team will rally around him, everyone will play better, etc.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Next year, hell....I say start Mateer against Colorado. See if that'll light a fire under the rest of the team.

Nothing to lose, really. We know what we are with Ward, and that's lost us 6 straight. Try something different. Worst thing that happens is we finish 4-8, which is probably going to happen anyway.

Reactions: 702coug and Coug90
Next year, hell....I say start Mateer against Colorado. See if that'll light a fire under the rest of the team.

Nothing to lose, really. We know what we are with Ward, and that's lost us 6 straight. Try something different. Worst thing that happens is we finish 4-8, which is probably going to happen anyway.
Agree. Particularly if the sense from coaches is Ward is gone. Give Mateer a shot, why TF not at this point.

Agree. Particularly if the sense from coaches is Ward is gone. Give Mateer a shot, why TF not at this point.
I look at the product on the field, and the reality is that this offense doesn't perform for Ward. OL doesn't block, receivers don't run routes, and they definitely don't come back when he's in trouble.

Maybe they won't perform for Mateer either, but there's really only one way to find out.

Loyals feelings…that uniform looks pretty good on you, you know what else would look good on you…me!
I've always preferred "that looks good on you...but it would look better on my bedroom floor"

Not directed toward Loyal, of course.

Mateer and Pululasi combo would be welcome in my book for Saturday.
I feel like there’s a whole dimension offensively we’ve barely scratched that he would bring out. I also think the receivers would see some balls launched downfield

Reactions: 702coug
Its unfortunate because from what Dickert just said recently during an interview, Mateer will never be the starter so long as Cam is around.

Mateer and Pululasi combo would be welcome in my book for Saturday.
I'm at the point where I'd be willing to tell the entire team - including walk-ons - that you'll play for me if you'll go all out, you'll lower your shoulder and fight for an extra yard, dive for catches and loose balls, run over the middle and take the hit. If you do it enough, you'll start.

If you're going to slide, or run OB a yard short of the sticks, throw OB on 3rd & 3, or let a throw bounce at your feet, or if you're going to throw your hands around and try to get a flag instead of a catch...grab a spot on the bench and get comfortable. I've got no use for you.

I just want to see some damn effort. It's been 7 weeks since I believed anyone on the field gave a damn.

I'm at the point where I'd be willing to tell the entire team - including walk-ons - that you'll play for me if you'll go all out, you'll lower your shoulder and fight for an extra yard, dive for catches and loose balls, run over the middle and take the hit. If you do it enough, you'll start.

If you're going to slide, or run OB a yard short of the sticks, throw OB on 3rd & 3, or let a throw bounce at your feet, or if you're going to throw your hands around and try to get a flag instead of a catch...grab a spot on the bench and get comfortable. I've got no use for you.

I just want to see some damn effort. It's been 7 weeks since I believed anyone on the field gave a damn.
I dunno I saw effort Saturday. More than we’ve seen. It was literally a handful of bonehead plays and shitty calls that did us in. Easily coulda been a 2-3 score win for us on the road. That was a weird game.

Stanford there was effort on defense. That’s all I got, otherwise pretty much agree.

I dunno I saw effort Saturday. More than we’ve seen. It was literally a handful of bonehead plays and shitty calls that did us in. Easily coulda been a 2-3 score win for us on the road. That was a weird game.

Stanford there was effort on defense. That’s all I got, otherwise pretty much agree.
Turning things around after the first quarter against Cal showed me effort.

Arizona and Stanford, not so much.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I look at the product on the field, and the reality is that this offense doesn't perform for Ward. OL doesn't block, receivers don't run routes, and they definitely don't come back when he's in trouble.

Maybe they won't perform for Mateer either, but there's really only one way to find out.

This situation reminds me of the Brink/Swogger days except that Dickert and Arbuckle have handcuffed Mateer to keep the QB controversy from blowing up. Swogger/Ward are the strong armed QB's who can throw 95 mph fastballs but sometimes forget that they don't don't need to. Brink/Mateer are the gutsy backups who might actually be a better QB but lack the arm of the starter. The key difference is that Mateer hasn't been put in a position to make the big mistakes the way that Brink was.

I'm ready to see Mateer play. As you've said, the team just doesn't feel that they are fighting for Ward.

When you play QB you are what your record says you are. Ward is a .500 QB. Well below that in conference.

Assuming the staff is still in place, Mateer will be here for the spring. It's the path of least resistance to start. Of course, if we bring in a veteran or he loses the battle this spring I expect him to be gone.

This situation reminds me of the Brink/Swogger days except that Dickert and Arbuckle have handcuffed Mateer to keep the QB controversy from blowing up. Swogger/Ward are the strong armed QB's who can throw 95 mph fastballs but sometimes forget that they don't don't need to. Brink/Mateer are the gutsy backups who might actually be a better QB but lack the arm of the starter. The key difference is that Mateer hasn't been put in a position to make the big mistakes the way that Brink was.

I'm ready to see Mateer play. As you've said, the team just doesn't feel that they are fighting for Ward.
This situation is nothing like the Brink/Swogger controversy.

When you play QB you are what your record says you are. Ward is a .500 QB. Well below that in conference.
And that puts him ahead of a lot of guys. Such is the history of WSU football.

Coaches don't typically miss on QB evaluations. It happens, but not very often. I'm ready to get an extended look at Mateer, but the current offensive line situation gives me pause. I envision a lot of blindside hits on a freshman QB.

Coaches don't typically miss on QB evaluations. It happens, but not very often. I'm ready to get an extended look at Mateer, but the current offensive line situation gives me pause. I envision a lot of blindside hits on a freshman QB.
Arizona blew it with their backup early in the season. De Laura wont see the field again.

Reactions: Cougini5591
not recent history
Sure. But with the portal and NIL, we're back to the 70s or 80s in terms of competitive landscape. Instead of USC or whoever just taking way more guys than could possibly play to keep them away from competitors, they just raid the roster when the portal opens.

Sure. But with the portal and NIL, we're back to the 70s or 80s in terms of competitive landscape. Instead of USC or whoever just taking way more guys than could possibly play to keep them away from competitors, they just raid the roster when the portal opens.
It's going to be an issue, but I think the 70s and early 80s were worse. We're also going to be competing in a conference of programs more evenly balanced financially. Looking around the MWC this season, which is little down compared to years past, and you still see teams like Fresno State winning games at Purdue and hammering ASU 29-0 in Tempe. UNLV won at Vandy and lost respectably at Michigan. Boise is a shell of themselves this season, but they still lost only 18-16 to a good Central Florida team and 35-32 at Memphis. Wyoming won at Texas Tech and gave Texas a good game as well.

Hopefully you know me well enough on here to know that I'm not a kool-aid denialist about WSUs ability to compete with the big-boys financially, but I also don't think the free fall is going to be as bad as I originally thought it would be. We need to recruit 20-25 MWC caliber high school recruits every year. That's pretty much how it's always been for us. The difference is that we don't have P12 affiliation to sell them on, but then again, we might. Just a rebranded P12. If Wyoming, UNLV, Fresno, and Boise can field competitive teams, we can too. No excuses.

Last edited:
Cam literally was a portal transfer…and a highly sought after one at that. And also an NIL guy. I get what you are saying, but we were competing just fine over the last decade until this skid came out of nowhere.

Cam literally was a portal transfer…and a highly sought after one at that. And also an NIL guy. I get what you are saying, but we were competing just fine over the last decade until this skid came out of nowhere.
To be fair, the skid we're on isn't that much different than most of our seasons over the past 10 years. Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and ASU were all winnable games. Had we won 2 of those, this season would have been acceptable.

Well, I guess I see it differently. The program has been eroding. I'm not sure what pulling Ward out of the portal proves, other than we can get one guy, while a team like USC (or whoever) can pick our roster clean if they want.

Well, I guess I see it differently. The program has been eroding. I'm not sure what pulling Ward out of the portal proves, other than we can get one guy, while a team like USC (or whoever) can pick our roster clean if they want.
Leach was an elite coach. That's the biggest difference that I see. His system was soft, but he ran a tough, hard nosed program. His name and reputation brought in more quality players than Rolo and Dickert. His system was a frustrating dink and dunk, but it wasn't a bubble screen dink and dunk. We had good running backs and excellent possession receivers. Most of the teams in the P12 couldn't defend his scheme, but the ones who could (like UWs NFL caliber back 7) shut us down.

If Dickert can't get it done and we move on from him, I hope that some of our expected settlement money is reserved for a well paid head coach and staff. Not necessarily power conference paid, but tops in the new conference.

Leach was an elite coach. That's the biggest difference that I see. His system was soft, but he ran a tough, hard nosed program. His name and reputation brought in more quality players than Rolo and Dickert. His system was a frustrating dink and dunk, but it wasn't a bubble screen dink and dunk. We had good running backs and excellent possession receivers. Most of the teams in the P12 couldn't defend his scheme, but the ones who could (like UWs NFL caliber back 7) shut us down.

If Dickert can't get it done and we move on from him, I hope that some of our expected settlement money is reserved for a well paid head coach and staff. Not necessarily power conference paid, but tops in the new conference.

There's a whole lot of speculation right now about a situation that none of us know anything about. Who knows why our team went in the toilet but it is way too soon to be making dramatic statements about what Dickert can and can't do. He is accountable for the way that the team is playing, but WSU has never fired a coach for having one bad season and it's not starting this year.

The thing that makes the current meltdown so weird is that it bled over into the games against bad opponents. That said, this season just points to the mental fragility of most young players. We were fine until we got smacked down by UCLA. I think our players failed to take Arizona seriously (and I don't blame them) and we got smacked in the mouth. We were always going to lose to Oregon but that loss just put us further down the hole. The Pac-12 is as good this year from top to bottom as it's ever been and Dickert has failed to get the team out of a funk.

It's not just us, UCLA went from Top 25 to the toilet in the past two weeks and may not win another game. There's already talk of firing Chip Kelly.

And as far as Leach goes, he was a good coach and we were lucky to have him, but he was far more flawed than people like to remember. Three straight losses to finish 2016, getting absolutely wrecked in our last two games of 2017, and the debacle of 2019 showed that while Leach was a very good coach....it wouldn't have been surprising for us to go into the same kind of funk this year. He'd just be more interesting in the press conferences than Dickert if it had happened during his watch.

I think the difference between my take on this season and the average fan is that I didn't jump on the Kool-Aid train when we were 4-0. I knew Wisconsin wasn't an elite team, and they were better than us in the 2nd half. Oregon State allowed us to get off to a dream start and they played way off of our receivers. In the 2nd half, as was the case with Wisconsin, they were the better team and were ripping huge running plays at will.

UCLA was a game we could have taken control of early, and had we done so, I think we would have won. Arizona was a much better team than anyone knew at the time, and we're seeing that now. Oregon is elite, and we played fairly well down there. ASU was a disappointment, but they employed the perfect scheme for us. Do nothing stupid and pound the ball. Stanford was a huge turd of a game. No energy at all. Had we intercepted that pass in the 2nd half, we would have won. Cal was another game like UCLA. Had we not given them so many points early, the outcome could have been different.

Now the season is all but lost, and I expect Colorado to hang 40+ on us this week. UW, following yesterday's court result, may score 70.

I think the difference between my take on this season and the average fan is that I didn't jump on the Kool-Aid train when we were 4-0. I knew Wisconsin wasn't an elite team, and they were better than us in the 2nd half. Oregon State allowed us to get off to a dream start and they played way off of our receivers. In the 2nd half, as was the case with Wisconsin, they were the better team and were ripping huge running plays at will.

UCLA was a game we could have taken control of early, and had we done so, I think we would have won. Arizona was a much better team than anyone knew at the time, and we're seeing that now. Oregon is elite, and we played fairly well down there. ASU was a disappointment, but they employed the perfect scheme for us. Do nothing stupid and pound the ball. Stanford was a huge turd of a game. No energy at all. Had we intercepted that pass in the 2nd half, we would have won. Cal was another game like UCLA. Had we not given them so many points early, the outcome could have been different.

Now the season is all but lost, and I expect Colorado to hang 40+ on us this week. UW, following yesterday's court result, may score 70.
There were a small number of us who said that, and who pointed to the weaknesses in our game (and in our QB) even when we were 4-0. We were shouted down and called names by people who were blinded by the record and the ranking...and who I have to wonder if they were watching the games.

Unfortunately, we were right.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT