ADVERTISEMENT

Who has a better year next year...

Some people hate to see us schedule cupcakes.......I'm quite all right with it. When we've had three straight 10 win seasons.....we'll need to reconsider the discussion.

IMO- the only way we get to the playoff is to go undefeated. Why make it harder by scheduling OOC road games with the Big XII, B1G or SEC?

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
To be fair, Eason hurt his knee and then Fromm never gave the coaches the opportunity to give the starting role back to him. Maybe he won’t pan out, but I can say if we had a freshman QB go 8-5 with a bowl win, we’d be pretty high on him.
I went to Georgia and watched every game with Fromm & Eason. It was a matter of time until Eason was replaced. The fans were giving him time because he was so young but for the #1 overall recruit, people were hugely disappointed to say the least. Fromm would have taken the top spot just playing garbage time after awhile. Eason just wasn't getting better. He may fare better with PAC defenses but it's not going to be night and day.

I went to Georgia and watched every game with Fromm & Eason. It was a matter of time until Eason was replaced. The fans were giving him time because he was so young but for the #1 overall recruit, people were hugely disappointed to say the least. Fromm would have taken the top spot just playing garbage time after awhile. Eason just wasn't getting better. He may fare better with PAC defenses but it's not going to be night and day.
I’m not saying he’s going to be the Heisman winner, but he was a true freshman thrown to the wolves without so much as a redshirt year. QB is arguably the hardest position to master, so what the heck do people expect from an 18-19 year old kid? He’s got the tools physically, seems like giving him a year or two before being hypercritical of his abilities is only fair.

This is what I was reading. Thank you for the personal insight. I’m sure he’ll win the job in Muttlake, I just am not convinced he’s an upgrade from a Senior 4 year starter in Browning.

I’m not saying he’s going to be the Heisman winner, but he was a true freshman thrown to the wolves without so much as a redshirt year. QB is arguably the hardest position to master, so what the heck do people expect from an 18-19 year old kid? He’s got the tools physically, seems like giving him a year or two before being hypercritical of his abilities is only fair.
I agree - having said that, Fromm, who is a year younger, stepped in as a freshman under the same circumstances and took the job from a then-sophomore QB and never looked back. Eason just had some straightup stinker games. Fromm's been neutered in games, but hasn't turned in really any head scratchers like Eason did. Looking forward to Eason doing the same now that he's an old dog with a new jersey.

If he’s even a slight downgrade from a 4 year starter in Browning, it’s a complete disaster for that offense. Couple that with a freshman laden defense..... they are looking at a 6-8 win season. Perfect timing for us to overtake them in the standings next year.

This is what I was reading. Thank you for the personal insight. I’m sure he’ll win the job in Muttlake, I just am not convinced he’s an upgrade from a Senior 4 year starter in Browning.
No doubt. Other thing is, Fromm beat Eason despite being a year younger and - most importantly - despite being a game manager. Fromm plays behind an elite OL that has been one of the nation's best for years running, and can hand it off to any of multiple RBs going to the NFL. In the last few years they've produced Gurley, Chubb, Michel, and now have Holyfield and Swift. He has nothing but time in the pocket and scarcely takes chances. Alabama QB reincarnate. If Eason couldn't beat him out, that says a LOT about Eason.

Pac defenses aren't THAT much worse against the pass than SEC defenses. The difference is primarily the line play, but Eason played at Georgia so he had better protection than he would've gotten at Vandy or even Miss St.

If he’s even a slight downgrade from a 4 year starter in Browning, it’s a complete disaster for that offense. Couple that with a freshman laden defense..... they are looking at a 6-8 win season. Perfect timing for us to overtake them in the standings next year.
An offense that's also lost its workhorse. After Ross left Gaskin made them go. He's not as fast or flashy as some others they've had, like Ahmed, but they could feed him the ball and count on 5ish yards per play consistently. To me, if Chompers gets 25 points per game out of his offense in conference play this year he might be conference coach of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT