ADVERTISEMENT

Will Gabe make the Jets roster?

Interesting article. I was looking for word on him a couple of days ago and everything sounded like his chances were pretty grim. Lumped him in with a couple of other rookies that could not separate themselves from defenders. I hope that Steve Smith's take is more accurate.

Way too early to know. If he does not make the 53 man roster, then I hope he gets signed to the practice squad.

Why would you sign with a team that was bringing in so many guys at your position? Unless it was your only offer. I'm thinking they keep 6 at most.

Tough to stick in the league as a wr. Gabe was great, but his measurables don't jump off the charts.

Tough to stick in the league as a wr. Gabe was great, but his measurables don't jump off the charts.

He's a guy that has to show up and practice well. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it over another WR with better measureables that has a 2 cent head.....

As Biggs notes, NFL receivers make teams with what is between their ears. I always had the impression that Gabe has what it takes in that department. But he is in a crowded field with the Jets. He will have to make plays when he gets the chance.

He's a guy that has to show up and practice well. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it over another WR with better measureables that has a 2 cent head.....

Speaking of "2 cent" heads, where is Marquitter Wilson these days?

Reactions: Cougzz
Ah, come on, 1990! Whatever happen to once a cougar, always a cougar?

I didn't say anything bad about Wilson. I hope they both make it on the Jets roster, with Gabe having by far the better career. I bought a Cougar 2017 calendar with a former Cougar player for each month. Wilson was one of the months. I thought it was quite odd.

I have long moved on from Wilson and don't think about him at all, unless his name comes up.

I don't agree with that, not at the WR position. You have to physically and technically elite. A freak athlete.

The NFL will deal with bad attitudes as long as you produce. Once the headache isn't worth the production, good bye. Moss, Owens, Johnson...

I didn't say anything bad about Wilson. I hope they both make it on the Jets roster, with Gabe having by far the better career. I bought a Cougar 2017 calendar with a former Cougar player for each month. Wilson was one of the months. I thought it was quite odd.

I have long moved on from Wilson and don't think about him at all, unless his name comes up.

I was being facetious, '90.

I was being facetious, '90.

I know. Sorry. I was too serious. Wilson is a Coug because he attended school, but he is one I just don't think about. I hope he makes a team, but if he doesn't, I'm not going to be sad either.

"Once a Coug, always a Coug" has ended with Coach T and Wilson. Unforgivable what they've done.

I know you don't like the guy that preceded Leach and I know that I don't want to ever see him wearing a headset on our sidelines again......but I would gladly accept his donations and support of WSU. He was guilty of not being up to the task at hand but not much else. The "loss of innocence" speech was harmless as those things go. Anybody who watched it thought, "Yep.....college football is a big boy sport and innocence is one of the first things to go". Wilson is a bit different because he did make it very personal and it was obvious that he was trying to harm Leach on the way out. He would have to want to make special amends to WSU for me to really support him again.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm fine with WSU associating with Wilson just for the fact it's good pub to say we have 1 additional player in the NFL. I'm not a fan of his, but WSU may as well market his success, as minimal as it may be.

Way too early to know. If he does not make the 53 man roster, then I hope he gets signed to the practice squad.

I see him definitely making the practice squad. Hell, Tuel hung around for a while that way. Marks seems like a much better pro WR prospect than Tuel was a qb prospect.

Reactions: Coug1990
I see him definitely making the practice squad. Hell, Tuel hung around for a while that way. Marks seems like a much better pro WR prospect than Tuel was a qb prospect.

Like the guy with perpetual 5 year old twins said above (paraphrasing), you have to essentially be a freak athlete to make it in the NFL as a wide receiver (there are a few exceptions), Marks is super-competitive and intense and a very good route runner, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he made their roster at some point (or some other teams' roster). I hope he does. One of my favorite Wazzu players.

I don't agree with that, not at the WR position. You have to physically and technically elite. A freak athlete.

Patrol, there is no doubt that being a freak athlete is an advantage. But many all pro WR's have not been freak athletes. They were freak-level performers, but that was displayed in a freakish level of hand-eye coordination; concentration; spatial awareness; field awareness; lots of homework on the tendencies of opposing DB's; and a whole lot of other stuff that goes far beyond being a freak athlete. Steve Largent is one good example.

Steve Largent is the obvious comparison. An UDFA who signed with someone- not the Seahawks- and was let go after about a week of camp after that team saw his tangibles and passed.

The NFL guy who reminds me of Gabe- and this may sound weird- is Mack Strong, the old Seahawks FB. He wasn't exceeding fast, nor big, nor was he a remarkable receiver or blocker. He was O.K. or better in all regards but exceptional in none. Every year the Hawks would bring in young FBs to improve that position. When the season started there would be Strong starting at the FB position. Don't remember if Mack ever made any all-star ranking but he was solid and dependable, a pillar of that era's Seahawk offense. Strong had few or no outstanding tangibles but put him on the field and he got the job done and done well. My hope is that Gabe will succeed in the same manner if given the chance. "That Marks kid isn't really fast or big but, Lord, does he catch a lot of passes. We haven't anyone more productive to replace him with so let's keep him until someone better is available." My hope is that the Jets give him decent PT in the preseason to show what he can do, tangibles be damned. If he gets an honest shot, my money says that he sticks.

"Once a Coug, always a Coug" has ended with Coach T and Wilson. Unforgivable what they've done.
I am inclined to side with 1990 here. I still adhere to "Once a Coug, always a Coug." Some are on probation in my mind, some even on "double secret (never quite understood exactly what that means) probation". But still Cougs, though perhaps not currently in good standing. The degree of moral compensation required to attain our good graces varies consistent with their perceived failures. That and the time since the infraction. I keep the door open for their return to respectability.

If Gabe Marks makes the Jets, it is because he is promising as a WR, but mostly because he does well on special teams. Players at the end of NFL rosters must be able to play on multiple special teams. If he cannot do that, he will not make the Jets roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: E Jones
I am inclined to side with 1990 here. I still adhere to "Once a Coug, always a Coug." Some are on probation in my mind, some even on "double secret (never quite understood exactly what that means) probation". But still Cougs, though perhaps not currently in good standing. The degree of moral compensation required to attain our good graces varies consistent with their perceived failures. That and the time since the infraction. I keep the door open for their return to respectability.

Wilson is a player that as I wrote above, I just do not think about at all. I don't hate the guy and whatever animosity I had toward him is gone. When I think of former Cougar players, I don't think of him. I would much rather celebrate the Marks, the Vaeao's, the Dahl's, etc.

Are you kidding me? Who the hell is making those calendars/ releasing the pics for them?

Odd is putting it lightly.

I believe it was Blesdoe, but yeah...

Ah yes. That still amazes me.

Do you think Ole Miss would screw up Eli Manning's name? How about SC and any of the QB's they've had???

WSU needs to get some people on staff that have been places where they KNOW how to take care of people. Clearly, growing and hiring from within hasn't worked.

Reactions: Cougzz
Ah yes. That still amazes me.

Do you think Ole Miss would screw up Eli Manning's name? How about SC and any of the QB's they've had???

WSU needs to get some people on staff that have been places where they KNOW how to take care of people. Clearly, growing and hiring from within hasn't worked.

The decision making of the CAF and various individuals within the department has left me scratching my head many times.

The love affair with the Tiger Woods center - despite the insane cost and Nike a) not giving us a discount or rate and b) not accommodating our schedule - never sat well with me. They needed to get a reasonable priced venue, charge the same, and give the difference to the athletes. The tri-cities has a tailgate for Christ's sake and they clean up every year.

Reactions: Cougzz and Orecoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT