ADVERTISEMENT

Wilner commented to my question RE: bowl tie-ins moving forward

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Answer: unclear.

Can you comment on the Pac-12 bowl arrangements, contracts (rumored to be intact for another three years) and how that factors in the calculus on the value the Beavers and Cougars have as the last two standing? — @ttowncoug

The Pac-12 began a six-year contract cycle with its bowl partners in the fall of 2020, meaning it runs through the 2025 season — or what would be the first two years of a reconstituted Pac-12.

However, we don’t know the force majeure piece: Do the contracts allow the bowls to sever ties in the event of a monumental unexpected event? (We saw force majeure at work during the pandemic.)

And would the departure of eight schools qualify as a legal justification for dissolving the contracts if Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU set about rebuilding the conference?

That’s one of many issues that attorneys and financial officers are examining, both inside the conference and on the campuses of the four remaining schools.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Answer: unclear.

Can you comment on the Pac-12 bowl arrangements, contracts (rumored to be intact for another three years) and how that factors in the calculus on the value the Beavers and Cougars have as the last two standing? — @ttowncoug

The Pac-12 began a six-year contract cycle with its bowl partners in the fall of 2020, meaning it runs through the 2025 season — or what would be the first two years of a reconstituted Pac-12.

However, we don’t know the force majeure piece: Do the contracts allow the bowls to sever ties in the event of a monumental unexpected event? (We saw force majeure at work during the pandemic.)

And would the departure of eight schools qualify as a legal justification for dissolving the contracts if Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU set about rebuilding the conference?

That’s one of many issues that attorneys and financial officers are examining, both inside the conference and on the campuses of the four remaining schools.
Unless the force majeure clause (or other similar provision) expressly included dissolution of the conference or membership falling under a certain number of schools, I don't think it would apply. Force majeure means the contract is impossible to perform due to war, or "acts of god" like floods, fires, earthquakes, etc. If there is a conference, there is a conference.

Unless the force majeure clause (or other similar provision) expressly included dissolution of the conference or membership falling under a certain number of schools, I don't think it would apply. Force majeure means the contract is impossible to perform due to war, or "acts of god" like floods, fires, earthquakes, etc. If there is a conference, there is a conference.
Just another set of hands grabbing for pot o'money belonging to the dying Pac 12 conference.

Like the 2nd cousins showing up right before a death to express their love and desire to be included in the estate.

want read something sick?....apparently the Big 10 is "concerned" about future uw/wsu and ore/osu in state rivalries and are "sensitive" to keeping traditions....

please just say no....hell no.....knocking us to the dirty basement floor and then kicking us while down....

the traditions are over since our "rivalries" have spat on the Pac 12.....

want read something sick?....apparently the Big 10 is "concerned" about future uw/wsu and ore/osu in state rivalries and are "sensitive" to keeping traditions....

please just say no....hell no.....knocking us to the dirty basement floor and then kicking us while down....

And they hope WSU and OSU are just as concerned and will ask for no money to play the games.

Read: the Big 10 wants to preserve those rivalries as ways to pad their members out of conference schedules

Before she got the promotion to SC, the heavy set lady AD from UW said she wanted to continue the Apple Cup but wouldn't comment about maintaining the home-and-home format.

Assume the Ducks are smart enough not to go down that path

Read: the Big 10 wants to preserve those rivalries as ways to pad their members out of conference schedules
An article also mentioned they wanted rivalry week to be interesting or meaningful or something. Oregon plays Washington, and USC plays UCLA. The games should mean something in conference.

An article also mentioned they wanted rivalry week to be interesting or meaningful or something. Oregon plays Washington, and USC plays UCLA. The games should mean something in conference.
Don't forget that "Apple Cup" will now be played in September if it gets played at all.

My heart is telling me the WSU admin will show resolve and tell the Huskies to pound sand.

My head is telling me they'll bend over and spread 'em sans lube for the sweet sweet payday, which means Seattle only games in the "neutral" site.

Yeah, f that. You can have my Coug card back at that point. I'll still love my Cougs and my team, but I can't be compelled to participate in the humiliation and degradation of the team and school.

Don't forget that "Apple Cup" will now be played in September if it gets played at all.

My heart is telling me the WSU admin will show resolve and tell the Huskies to pound sand.

My head is telling me they'll bend over and spread 'em sans lube for the sweet sweet payday, which means Seattle only games in the "neutral" site.

Yeah, f that. You can have my Coug card back at that point. I'll still love my Cougs and my team, but I can't be compelled to participate in the humiliation and degradation of the team and school.
Pretending it’s rivalry week in Sept. is bullshit.

The Iron Bowl has not been played before November 12th in 65+ years
It was a fishing question, I have no idea what games are played when or what they're called. You could have contributed by replying a game that was played before November...

FWIW, the internet is no help. The Wiki page (yes, I know wiki is garbage) for B1G rivalries doesn't even list tOSU-Mich, and has three rivalries for Illinios. They also have the current P12 schools in their list of rivalries, so yeah...

But I did find the B1G schedule and it would appear there are games that might be considered rivalries being played in weeks 8 and 9. But again, those rivalries are from wiki... so who knows.

It was a fishing question, I have no idea what games are played when or what they're called. You could have contributed by replying a game that was played before November...

FWIW, the internet is no help. The Wiki page (yes, I know wiki is garbage) for B1G rivalries doesn't even list tOSU-Mich, and has three rivalries for Illinios. They also have the current P12 schools in their list of rivalries, so yeah...

But I did find the B1G schedule and it would appear there are games that might be considered rivalries being played in weeks 8 and 9. But again, those rivalries are from wiki... so who knows.
If you ever want to research a head to head matchup, go to football.stassen.com. It's a great site and has a variety of search tools. That's where I looked for the Iron Bowl matchup.

Aren't there some B10 and SEC "rivalries" before November?

And yes, I mention that because they're bullshit too...
Florida Georgia play in Jacksonville mid season.

Oklahoma vs Texas has been mid season dating back to when they were in separate conferences.

Michigan vs MSU plays mid season.

Florida Georgia play in Jacksonville mid season.

Oklahoma vs Texas has been mid season dating back to when they were in separate conferences.

Michigan vs MSU plays mid season.
Yeah, and those are conference games.

iowa - ISU is the only non-conference “rivalry” game played mid season. I grew up in Iowa and their real rival was Minnesota and maybe Wisconsin 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindyCityCoug

The only way the apple cup could continue is if its the fitst game every year

Why do we give two shits about what the the B1G thinks?

Offer to play the AC in Pullman every year. If uw says no, uw will have passed on two opportunities to keep the AC alive. First, when uw left the conference, and second when uw said no to playing in Pullman. Don't see a reason to give them more opportunities to say no.

Just another set of hands grabbing for pot o'money belonging to the dying Pac 12 conference.

L 2nd cousins showing up right before a death to express their love and desire to be included in the estate.ike the
Historically accurate...but none the less cruel.

I'm saying nothing new here but the Apple Cup is done. I'm probably considered a lower Coug because I would rather go 1-10 with a win rather than 10-1 with a loss. I can't stand them. During the last AC I realized that with NIL money AC wins would be more infrequent. The move to the Big10 and the probable move to or a downgrade of the Pac to a non P5 conference the money and NIL money will be immense.

The AC will turn from a game we could win once every 4 or 5 years. Even in bad years you could hope to knock UW out of the Rose Bowl or big bowl game. Now it will be a September game that if we win it doesn't matter because there is no bragging right to being a better team or being in a better league. We may win and keep them out of the playoffs but they will have weeks to overcome it. It's not about a better league like SC Clemson or Iowa Iowa St. A win does us nothing because they "overlooked us" or "they have more important games" if we lose then we "suck". That would be if we were lucky enough to win it. The best we could probably do is play well enough to keep their starters in longer than they wanted.

The game serves no purpose other than money. I'd rather play road games against other teams for money.

Is this referring to the “New” tradition of playing the “Apple Cup” as the opener in Seattle every year as a body bag game for chump change?

Pass

Before she got the promotion to SC, the heavy set lady AD from UW said she wanted to continue the Apple Cup but wouldn't comment about maintaining the home-and-home format.

Assume the Ducks are smart enough not to go down that path

You mean fat? 😏

I'm saying nothing new here but the Apple Cup is done. I'm probably considered a lower Coug because I would rather go 1-10 with a win rather than 10-1 with a loss. I can't stand them. During the last AC I realized that with NIL money AC wins would be more infrequent. The move to the Big10 and the probable move to or a downgrade of the Pac to a non P5 conference the money and NIL money will be immense.

The AC will turn from a game we could win once every 4 or 5 years. Even in bad years you could hope to knock UW out of the Rose Bowl or big bowl game. Now it will be a September game that if we win it doesn't matter because there is no bragging right to being a better team or being in a better league. We may win and keep them out of the playoffs but they will have weeks to overcome it. It's not about a better league like SC Clemson or Iowa Iowa St. A win does us nothing because they "overlooked us" or "they have more important games" if we lose then we "suck". That would be if we were lucky enough to win it. The best we could probably do is play well enough to keep their starters in longer than they wanted.

The game serves no purpose other than money. I'd rather play road games against other teams for money.

To be technically correct, we won 3 out of every 10 years. It's not as bad as you stated. But the trendline was certainly getting worse the past 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT