ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson to Oregon

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Per Theo.

Wilson was the best recruiter on the staff too. This sucks. Guess we need to find another coach.

Yup big fat Joe keeps giving as he vouches for coug coaches.The cougs have to beat their asses again in Pullman.The ducks have never beaten the cougs since big fat Joe left Pullman

Those ****ers. I guess Cristobal can't find coaches on his own.

Per Theo.

Wilson was the best recruiter on the staff too. This sucks. Guess we need to find another coach.
That does suck. Hopefully this move also ends the WSU to Oklahoma pipeline. There shouldn't be anyone else that Grinch knows and could steal away. Does Grinch know Phelps?

Let's just go find a better coach. But yea, this one sucks.

Much like the departure of Mastro and Big Joe, I don't think we'll find a coach who brings more to the table than Wilson. Maybe we find someone who does some things better than Wilson, but he did everything above average. Evaluator, recruiter, and teacher.

Leach knows how to hire coaches. This sucks, but I've always believed that it's beneficial to cycle the position coaches every several years.

We better find an LA recruiter cause Shaver isn't getting the job done. We will be ok. Chance to get a young linebacker coach who played pro ball that relates to players like Antonio Pierce at ASU. Wilson was a great recruiter but honestly I was never blown away with him as a lb coach.

We better find an LA recruiter cause Shaver isn't getting the job done. We will be ok. Chance to get a young linebacker coach who played pro ball that relates to players like Antonio Pierce at ASU. Wilson was a great recruiter but honestly I was never blown away with him as a lb coach.

The staff definitely needs some recruiters. Spurrier and Mele are the only coaches I'd put in the average to above average category. We will quickly regress to a middle of the PAC school if our recruiting slips. Let's find another Roy Manning type. Lots of charisma, energy, and youth. Not worried about X's and O's at all.

The staff definitely needs some recruiters. Spurrier and Mele are the only coaches I'd put in the average to above average category. We will quickly regress to a middle of the PAC school if our recruiting slips. Let's find another Roy Manning type. Lots of charisma, energy, and youth. Not worried about X's and O's at all.

The official website says Brock coaches outside linebackers and Wilson coaches linebackers. I agree that the new addition needs to be a primary recruiter.

Tracy Klaeys could end up being the linebackers coach and then hire a recruiting Ace as outside linebackers coach. Just a thought.

Like it. Quite a pay cut vs maybe staying in NFL. Wonder if he can recruit.

And who at Oregon did Wilson replace?

It would be a cut, but maybe not as severe as you "quite a cut". NFL position coaches probably average around $ 400 K.

Heck he may get the coordinator job in KC as whacked out as the NFL is in hiring people with very little experience right now. I just know he was pretty tight with Leach in the past, but it may be too much of a step down for him at this point.

On another note so the scoreboard for former WSU assistants has Oregon now with 3 tied with Oklahoma with 3.

( Edit: Forgot about Yost. so Oregon has now poached a WSU assistant each of the last 4 off seasons)

Oregon , I guess is pulling out all of the stops to end that 4 game losing streak to WSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
This is why University Presidents and ADs should be 5 feet up Larry Scott's butt about Pac-12 finances. $150,000 more per year is a raise for the assistant coaches, instead of padding Larry's expense account.

This is why University Presidents and ADs should be 5 feet up Larry Scott's butt about Pac-12 finances. $150,000 more per year is a raise for the assistant coaches, instead of padding Larry's expense account.

It's also why I don't want to pay Ernie Kent 1.4 million a year to go away. Program has other places where it needs to be spending that money.

Ken Wilson is currently productive in every phase, as etown pointed out. Probably a better hire than either Mastro or Joe for Whoregon. Joe had gotten tired of the long hours and travel for recruiting and is nowhere near where he was 10 years ago in that area, though as anyone would in a new job, he put in more effort in his first year or two at UO than the last couple of years at WSU. Mastro has slowed somewhat but was still winning some big recruiting battles when he left. Wilson is not yet at the point where he is slowing down.

Head Coaches who poach from local rivals are demonstrating their inability to do much other than lean on a big check book. We don't expect any amount of class from the Oregon program, so nobody is surprised when they don't demonstrate any. A 5th straight loss will rub this in further.

Rational brain: recites serenity prayer

Non-rational brain: I guess if you can beat them, buy out their coaching staff. I'm not kidding when I say I wouldn't put it past Oregon to offer CML $6M a year to come be OC. Seriously, two bird with one stone - upgrade your own coaching staff while hopefully weakening your opponents'.

I mean, fck Oregon. Fck them right in their smelly duck asses. It was bad enough having one big brother in conference, but now we have two? This just sucks. I suppose its a huge complement, but it still royally sucks.

Much like the departure of Mastro and Big Joe, I don't think we'll find a coach who brings more to the table than Wilson. Maybe we find someone who does some things better than Wilson, but he did everything above average. Evaluator, recruiter, and teacher.

Keep an eye out for this one. Former player at Tech for Leach. KC Chiefs fired their Defensive Coordinator today and he may possibly be displaced by the move. Just throwing it out there.

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-smith

Didn't he originally agree to come to pullman but bolted before the sun went down?Not sure that is who Leach would contact first.

It is rumored he was their best recruiter. They must be offering a bundle.

It is interesting, how did it work out for Yost, Morris, McGuire? I would be curious based on a 6 year period how they did financially?

Rational brain: recites serenity prayer

Non-rational brain: I guess if you can beat them, buy out their coaching staff. I'm not kidding when I say I wouldn't put it past Oregon to offer CML $6M a year to come be OC. Seriously, two bird with one stone - upgrade your own coaching staff while hopefully weakening your opponents'.

I mean, fck Oregon. Fck them right in their smelly duck asses. It was bad enough having one big brother in conference, but now we have two? This just sucks. I suppose its a huge complement, but it still royally sucks.

Eff it...we will be fine. Leach has shown he can upgrade when a coach leave. No doubt Wilson's size 7.5 are big shoes to fill. TSO will find a stud and it won't be Mike Smith.

It is rumored he was their best recruiter. They must be offering a bundle.

It is interesting, how did it work out for Yost, Morris, McGuire? I would be curious based on a 6 year period how they did financially?

Worked out well for Yost. He's a P5 offensive coordinator. Eric Morris is the head coach at Incarnate Word. McGuire is at Texas St, but that might be the only coach who left who really took a step back. Leaving has been good for Simmons, Manning, Grinch, Mastro, Wilson, Harrell, Choate, Big Joe, Sage, Shephard, and Yost.

The guys who took a step back: Breske and Volero were fired. Russell (also fired) took a lateral move to TCU.

Worked out well for Yost. He's a P5 offensive coordinator. Eric Morris is the head coach at Incarnate Word. McGuire is at Texas St, but that might be the only coach who left who really took a step back. Leaving has been good for Simmons, Manning, Grinch, Mastro, Wilson, Harrell, Choate, Big Joe, Sage, Shephard, and Yost.

The guys who took a step back: Breske and Volero were fired. Russell (also fired) took a lateral move to TCU.

Yost pretty got fired from Oregon. Oregon fan wasn't too thrilled with Mastro this year. Jury is out on Big Joe, haven't seen much from their defensive line since he's been there. Their defensive line was so inept against us this year that they just stopped rushing the passer. Oregon is paying a crap ton of money to their assistance, $5.3M compared to our $3.2. We'll never compete with that.

On the offensive staff there will always be turnover. There is no opportunity for advancement at WSU since Leach is the OC.

Oh well. Thanks for your service. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Next.
Does Pflugrad stay & not go to Oregon if his daughter hadn't just turned 18 with Ken Greene still on the coaching staff?

Pay the assistants the best that you can.

Although, Alabama lost 4 assistants this year. It is part of the game. I am sure WSU will find a solid replacement. They always do.

It is good to see Manning leave the PAC 12.

Reactions: earldacoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT