ADVERTISEMENT

WSoccer Final: Cougs 1, Memphis 0 (1st Round NCAA Tourney)

Sorry in 4
Attended the game, Utah is legit and Cougs weren’t @ their best.
There’s a reason Utah is ranked #15. Cougs will bounce back on Sunday vs. Colorado.
Watched nearly the first half of Coug soccer and great atmosphere.
Pleased with the win, I’m assuming next stop will be Charlottesville. Great crowds @ both events, Pullman is packed and expect a good turnout vs. Stanford.

Reactions: kougkurt
I just looked at the brackets for the first time. PAC spread throughout. One possible Women's NCAA final: WSU, UCLA, USC and Stanford. Wouldn't that be something!

If Radford wins will the Cougs host? Or are we destined to travel a East no matter what due to bracket design?

Cr8zy's observation about the number of Pac12 teams in postseason is spot on. The game between the Cougs and Memphis underline this. Memphis had an excellent striker, co-offensive player of the year in the AAC, but not much else that I could see. Good players but none that struck my eye as exceptional. Their goalkeeper was AAC first string but she was not close to Ella Dederick in skills. Really not as good as most of the other Pac12 keepers that I have seen this year. Yet Memphis only lost two games prior to facing us while we have lost six times. And we were a moderate 5-5-1 in conference play. The Pac12 is indeed loaded. Cr8zy's wishful thinking about an all-Pac12 final four probably will not come to fruition but the fact than it is possible and within reason says a lot.

The game itself was cold and wet. Drizzled most of the game and came down somewhat heavily for about five minutes. This left the field quite slippery, resulting in numerous falls, some after contact but many without. Even the ref ended up on his butt once- much to the delight of the crowd. Neither team had a pass completion percentage to brag about, which I would attribute to the field conditions. That aside, the Cougs had dominance over most of the play and finally put one into the net.

My congratulations to the lady Cougs. They took down a team that the pollsters had rated abut ten rungs above them.

Reactions: SDCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT