ADVERTISEMENT

WSU 2023 QB room is ranked #2, #3 and # 14 in NCAA in 2024

Boise St RB Jeanty is averaging 195 yards/game and 10.4 per carry. Hope our D-line is up to the challenge

He is going to get over 100 yards without a doubt. I'd like to see his average closer to 5 ypc.
I predict a lot of 5 and maybe 6-man lines, probably a LB spy on the RB? So it is really going to be on the DB's as well. Luckily their QB ain't that great. A couple of interceptions would do wonders, and the offense has to excel.

He is going to get over 100 yards without a doubt. I'd like to see his average closer to 5 ypc.
If he’s close to 5 yards a carry we will beat them by 3 TDs. He’s gonna break off some big runs so that means he’s getting his shit stuffed the rest of the game. We don’t have Henley, but we better bring our game plan and cahones that we took to Wisconsin a couple of years ago against Allen. Its going to take that kind of effort to slow him down.

I predict a lot of 5 and maybe 6-man lines, probably a LB spy on the RB? So it is really going to be on the DB's as well. Luckily their QB ain't that great. A couple of interceptions would do wonders, and the offense has to excel.
You’re gonna have to sell out on the run. Aggressive run blitzes trying to get them in the backfield and forcing second/third and longs a handful of times. Knowing a. He’s going to bust some big runs and B. Your corners and safeties (yikes) are in man most of the game. But, if you win on enough drives and force a few punts/fg’s it’s a numbers game with your offense and you can outscore them cuz their defense sucks.

You sit back in a 7 or 8 man and let them get a hat on a hat, it’s death by 1000 paper cuts and he’s going to bust a few big runs anyways. We don’t have a guy on our D who can consistently tackle him one on one in the hole. He’s a starting NFL back.

If he’s close to 5 yards a carry we will beat them by 3 TDs. He’s gonna break off some big runs so that means he’s getting his shit stuffed the rest of the game. We don’t have Henley, but we better bring our game plan and cahones that we took to Wisconsin a couple of years ago against Allen. Its going to take that kind of effort to slow him down.
How is BSU's QB? I've seen nothing of them outside ESPN highlights.

You’re gonna have to sell out on the run. Aggressive run blitzes trying to get them in the backfield and forcing second/third and longs a handful of times. Knowing a. He’s going to bust some big runs and B. Your corners and safeties (yikes) are in man most of the game. But, if you win on enough drives and force a few punts/fg’s it’s a numbers game with your offense and you can outscore them cuz their defense sucks.

You sit back in a 7 or 8 man and let them get a hat on a hat, it’s death by 1000 paper cuts and he’s going to bust a few big runs anyways. We don’t have a guy on our D who can consistently tackle him one on one in the hole. He’s a starting NFL back.
Here's the problems I see:

• Their QB is not bad. He's actually pretty efficient. In their 2 wins, he's completed over 70% of his passes. Against Oregon, it was 42%.
  • BSU has 12 different guys with a catch. He'll spread it around. We want to make him beat us with his arm, not with Jeanty. But he might be able to.
    • However...2 receivers and a TE have 10+ catches. That doesn't sound like a lot, but they've only completed 59 passes. Almost half go to those 3 guys, so if we can keep them in front, we've got a shot.
  • Their OL must be pretty good. They've given up 2 sacks on the season, and all of their RBs are averaging over 5 yards per carry. Even their fullback is getting 5.2.
  • Jeanty is 215 lbs and has speed. He's a size mismatch for our safeties and a speed mismatch for our LBs.
  • We also don't have depth at LB. If they pound it with him - and spoiler alert, they will - we're going to see our starting LBs have to rotate out.
    • Acknowledgement: the same issues existing for Coleman against UW...and we made it work (although we had an assist from their coaching mistakes)

Now, the other side:

• Both of BSU's wins are against nobodies - Georgia Southern and Portland State. They could have beaten the Ducks, but it's hard to tell if that's because of BSU or because of UO. Remember, the ducks beat idaho by only 10 the week before.
  • JEanty has 586 yards and 9 TDs in 3 games. That's pretty eye-popping. But:
    • 267 yards (45% of his total) was against Georgia Southern in the opener.
    • He's had long runs every week: 77 against GSU, 70 against UO, and 68 against PSU. In fact, against GSU he had two scoring runs that were 75 and 77.
      • Take away the big plays, and against GSU he's got 18 carries for 115. Against Oregon, 24 for 122. Against PSU 10 for 59. Still healthy averages, but not scary anymore.
    • 6 of his 9 TDs were in the opener. 2 more were long runs.
  • He doesn't play defense. BSU gave up 45 points and 461 yards to Georgia Southern - 322 in the air. They gave up 37 points and 352 yards to Oregon - and UO's QB completed 86% of his passes against them. They handled PSU pretty well. But, people have moved the ball against them.
So, my emphasis this week is taking away the big plays. Don't let him break it for 60+. Make his long run be 15-20. I might dial up some run blitzes in likely run situations, but that's not my emphasis because I don't want people getting out of position behind the play. Scheme things to move defenders around, so blockers don't know where to find them in the 2nd level. Keep him in front of you, string him out and make good tackles. No arm tackles, no diving at his feet...wrap his ass up, slow him down and beat the hell out of him.

Reactions: UberCougars
How is BSU's QB? I've seen nothing of them outside ESPN highlights.
He’s a game manager type. But when you’ve got an NFL bell cow as your back with a pretty good OLine, a game manager can look pretty good. He’s gonna get some open receivers on Saturday hopefully he craps the bed.

Here's the problems I see:

• Their QB is not bad. He's actually pretty efficient. In their 2 wins, he's completed over 70% of his passes. Against Oregon, it was 42%.
  • BSU has 12 different guys with a catch. He'll spread it around. We want to make him beat us with his arm, not with Jeanty. But he might be able to.
    • However...2 receivers and a TE have 10+ catches. That doesn't sound like a lot, but they've only completed 59 passes. Almost half go to those 3 guys, so if we can keep them in front, we've got a shot.
  • Their OL must be pretty good. They've given up 2 sacks on the season, and all of their RBs are averaging over 5 yards per carry. Even their fullback is getting 5.2.
  • Jeanty is 215 lbs and has speed. He's a size mismatch for our safeties and a speed mismatch for our LBs.
  • We also don't have depth at LB. If they pound it with him - and spoiler alert, they will - we're going to see our starting LBs have to rotate out.
    • Acknowledgement: the same issues existing for Coleman against UW...and we made it work (although we had an assist from their coaching mistakes)

Now, the other side:

• Both of BSU's wins are against nobodies - Georgia Southern and Portland State. They could have beaten the Ducks, but it's hard to tell if that's because of BSU or because of UO. Remember, the ducks beat idaho by only 10 the week before.
  • JEanty has 586 yards and 9 TDs in 3 games. That's pretty eye-popping. But:
    • 267 yards (45% of his total) was against Georgia Southern in the opener.
    • He's had long runs every week: 77 against GSU, 70 against UO, and 68 against PSU. In fact, against GSU he had two scoring runs that were 75 and 77.
      • Take away the big plays, and against GSU he's got 18 carries for 115. Against Oregon, 24 for 122. Against PSU 10 for 59. Still healthy averages, but not scary anymore.
    • 6 of his 9 TDs were in the opener. 2 more were long runs.
  • He doesn't play defense. BSU gave up 45 points and 461 yards to Georgia Southern - 322 in the air. They gave up 37 points and 352 yards to Oregon - and UO's QB completed 86% of his passes against them. They handled PSU pretty well. But, people have moved the ball against them.
So, my emphasis this week is taking away the big plays. Don't let him break it for 60+. Make his long run be 15-20. I might dial up some run blitzes in likely run situations, but that's not my emphasis because I don't want people getting out of position behind the play. Scheme things to move defenders around, so blockers don't know where to find them in the 2nd level. Keep him in front of you, string him out and make good tackles. No arm tackles, no diving at his feet...wrap his ass up, slow him down and beat the hell out of him.
I dunno this is sort of flawed logic. Of course you want to take away the big plays. I’m assuming we didn’t want sjs to bust a 70 yarder against us but they did. I full expect Jeanty will as well. Just give up 1 or 2. Not 3 or 4. And do it because you are so agressive you are getting in the backfield and dropping him for a loss a few times and hopefully causing a fumble or two as well. It’s a game of possessions an 8 play pounding does the same damage as a 1 play house call. We need to steal a few possessions.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT