ADVERTISEMENT

WSU has a massive decision to make with Kyle Smith

Stanford canned Jerod Haase after the game.
His record wasn’t great and Stanford needed to make a change

But would it hurt these ADs if maybe they waited until the next day to fire the coach? Nothing is going to change in the next 12 hours. It’s like these ADs need to show how big their dick is by grabbing the guy coming off the court. The coach already knows he’s a dead man walking.

Reactions: mikalalas
St Mary's longtime coach makes $1,083,00/year.

West Virginia is in the Big-12 not the B1G with Purdue.

Vandy's coach makes $3.2 million/year.

Whatever NITPICKING TROLL.

I did not say specifically BIG 10, and I said Purdue TYPES, TYPES, TYPES, TYPES, and I meant that West Virginia is in Big 12, and that the Big 12 is a LOADED BBALL conference, and I even said in another post about West Virginia being in Big 12, not Big 10, you NITPICKING TROLL.

And it's not all about money, as far as places Smith would go, and if St Mary's replaced Randy Bennet with Smith, they would pay Smith more then ABOUT 1K. And St Mary's is now a BIG TIME SEMI GONZAGA LIKE LIKE PROGRAM, that does temporarily pay Randy Bennet 1K.

And altho Vandy pays 3.2k, that 3.2k is s near, at the TOP of Vandy's pay range, and can't afford the ABOUT 4 mil it would PROBABLY take to hire Smith away from away from WAY.

FCKING NITPICKING TROLLS.

Stanford canned Jerod Haase after the game.

Stanford is another team Smith might go to, but Stanford might hire some other coach besides Smith, altho that does put Smith at risk.

I won't be worried until, unless IF IF there are 5 to 10 more of these pop up, that would make it more likely that Smith go.

Stanford also has to compete in a ACC before it falls apart, and the ACC probably falls apart, and that would probably mean that Smith at Stanford would probably finish mid ACC conference, and would probably end up stranded again.

Stanford can probably afford the 4 mil to hire Smith away from WSU.

Smith is on there short list as well

A shortlist is a list of about 4 to 6 to 8 names.

Smith is only on the shortlist of Stanford, Louisville, and only Louisville makes sense as a possible destination for Smith.

If there was about about 9+ to 12+ to 15+ teams that either had Smith as a possibility, an or had Smith on their Shortlist, then I would be worried.

UW has 10+ other possible candidates, and is probably going to end up with Dan Sprinkler, and is probably not a good destination for Smith.

Ohio St has lots of candidates, not a good destination for Smith, unless he wants to be fired.

Same for West Virginia, DePaul.

Now if 2+,3+,4+,5+ more Louisville's pop up, put Smith on their Shortlist, then I would be worried.

“Ohio St, West Virginia, while good, great Football programs, they are not that much better of a bball program then WSU is, and they are in a STACKED, LOADED bball conference with Purdue types, which is not a good recipe for Kyle Smith's continued success.”

Ohio State is light years ahead of WSU as far as basketball goes. Mikalas you might want to check Ohio States NCAA tournament history before you make a ridiculous statement like that.

Same with West Virginia.

“Ohio St, West Virginia, while good, great Football programs, they are not that much better of a bball program then WSU is, and they are in a STACKED, LOADED bball conference with Purdue types, which is not a good recipe for Kyle Smith's continued success.”

Ohio State is light years ahead of WSU as far as basketball goes. Mikalas you might want to check Ohio States NCAA tournament history before you make a ridiculous statement like that.

Same with West Virginia.
Arguably, West Virginia has a deeper basketball history than Purdue. Definitely during the Beilein and Huggy years.

With the recent announcement that the B!G and SEC members are going to be getting $20M/year each, while G5 programs are getting $1.8M/year, maybe it's time to face the reality that basketball is the sport we'll be most competitive in.

Same with West Virginia.

Ohio St may, might have had great Basketball program in the ANCIENT PAST, about 20 to 40 to 60 years ago, but during the last ABOUT 20 years: Ohio St? Isn't that a FOOTBALL power? Haven't heard of Ohio St's as far as national recognition in bball, in making NIT, in making NCAA tournament, in making waves in either NIT, NCAA tourny.

Same with West Virginia as with Ohio St.

Both West Virginia, Ohio St, are bball jobs where even Smith would finish bottom half of the Big 10, Big 12 conferences, and would get fired, as they are loaded bball conferences.

DePaul is a better job then West Virginia, Ohio St, bball wise, but DePaul has been near the bottom of their conference for a semi very long time.

I'm not worried about Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul, and I'm not worried about Smith being interested in Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul, as Smith would probably not be interested in Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul.

Only Louisville is a legit threat to WSU, to get, hire away Smith from WSU, and that's only 1 so far.

Stanford might seem like a legit threat, but Stanford is in ACC, and Smith would probably be in bottom half of ACC at Stanford, and then when ACC falls apart, be in the situation he is in now at WSU.

Ohio St may, might have had great Basketball program in the ANCIENT PAST, about 20 to 40 to 60 years ago, but during the last ABOUT 20 years: Ohio St? Isn't that a FOOTBALL power? Haven't heard of Ohio St's as far as national recognition in bball, in making NIT, in making NCAA tournament, in making waves in either NIT, NCAA tourny.

Same with West Virginia as with Ohio St.

Both West Virginia, Ohio St, are bball jobs where even Smith would finish bottom half of the Big 10, Big 12 conferences, and would get fired, as they are loaded bball conferences.

DePaul is a better job then West Virginia, Ohio St, bball wise, but DePaul has been near the bottom of their conference for a semi very long time.

I'm not worried about Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul, and I'm not worried about Smith being interested in Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul, as Smith would probably not be interested in Ohio St, West Virginia, DePaul.

Only Louisville is a legit threat to WSU, to get, hire away Smith from WSU, and that's only 1 so far.

Stanford might seem like a legit threat, but Stanford is in ACC, and Smith would probably be in bottom half of ACC at Stanford, and then when ACC falls apart, be in the situation he is in now at WSU.
Ohio State great basketball in the ancient past? From 2005-06 season through 2021-22 season (17 seasons), Ohio State went to the NCAA tournament 13 times, had 2 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Elite Eight, and played in the 2006-07 National Championship Game losing to Florida. Of those 4 seasons they didn't go to the NCAA tournament, 1 was cancelled due to Covid and 2 were NIT appearances, including an NIT Championship. That's all within the last 20 years.

In the last 20 years, West Virginia has also been to the NCAA tournament 13 times, had 5 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Elite Eight, and 1 Final Four appearance.

Compare that with WSU.....which will be in its 3rd NCAA tournament in the last 20 years and has 1 Sweet Sixteen appearance. We all love WSU and want our successful coaches to stay. But when some schools with a lot richer history & resources come looking, you can bet our coaches will be tempted.

Oh, now you can add Michigan to the list of schools needing a new coach. They've got some history, too.

One more thing, DePaul is not a better job than West Virginia or Ohio State. They haven't been to the NCAA Tournament at all in the last 20 years.

Glad Cougar

Ohio State great basketball in the ancient past? From 2005-06 season through 2021-22 season (17 seasons), Ohio State went to the NCAA tournament 13 times, had 2 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Elite Eight, and played in the 2006-07 National Championship Game losing to Florida. Of those 4 seasons they didn't go to the NCAA tournament, 1 was cancelled due to Covid and 2 were NIT appearances, including an NIT Championship. That's all within the last 20 years.

In the last 20 years, West Virginia has also been to the NCAA tournament 13 times, had 5 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Elite Eight, and 1 Final Four appearance.

Compare that with WSU.....which will be in its 3rd NCAA tournament in the last 20 years and has 1 Sweet Sixteen appearance. We all love WSU and want our successful coaches to stay. But when some schools with a lot richer history & resources come looking, you can bet our coaches will be tempted.

Oh, now you can add Michigan to the list of schools needing a new coach. They've got some history, too.

One more thing, DePaul is not a better job than West Virginia or Ohio State. They haven't been to the NCAA Tournament at all in the last 20 years.

Glad Cougar

Ok I stand corrected. But seriously, if you ask most bball fans about Ohio St, West Virginia, most won't have heard of Ohio St, West Virginia doing all that.

And they have apparently been QUIETLY doing all that, as they don't seem to be getting a lot of highly visible, public, national recognition, etc, in sports media, other sources, etc.

Glad Cougar

Michigan is a storied bball program(Fab five, etc).

They are a very legit threat if they decide to get Smith over other candidates. And Smith would probably do well there, and would get a ton of money.

So now it's Louisville, Michigan that legit threats to get Smith.

Add 1,2,3 more Louisville's, Michigan's to that, and I'll be worried.

Or if Louisville, Michigan put Smith at the very top of their list, as the coach that they want, and I'll be worried.

A general reply to several posts. Seems like all these possible destinations for Smith are about money (duh) and basketball legacies and his chance for success. WSU historically has had none of these. Raveling, Sampson (sorta), the Bennetts, and now Smith have pulled us out of the bottom-feeding gutter. This notion that unless Smith goes to some perennial blue blood he will fail and get fired is sort of ridiculous IMHO. How many years has Bennett been at Virginia now? The whole idea of hiring a new and good coach is that he will be successful and take you places. Whether you have been there consistently or not. Frankly I think a middling destination with money would be the smart game. Or stay here forever. Few and Randy Bennett seem to be content.

Since Ray Meyer died, DePaul is an awful job

Yeah DePaul, hasn't been good for about 20 years, but based on Ohio St, West Virginia QUIETLY doing what they have done, and not getting a lot of highly visible, high profile, public, national recognition, it seemed DePaul, as bad as it is now, would be better then Ohio St, West Virginia.

Stanford will never be in the situation WSU is in now.

A general reply to several posts. Seems like all these possible destinations for Smith are about money (duh) and basketball legacies and his chance for success. WSU historically has had none of these. Raveling, Sampson (sorta), the Bennetts, and now Smith have pulled us out of the bottom-feeding gutter. This notion that unless Smith goes to some perennial blue blood he will fail and get fired is sort of ridiculous IMHO. How many years has Bennett been at Virginia now? The whole idea of hiring a new and good coach is that he will be successful and take you places. Whether you have been there consistently or not. Frankly I think a middling destination with money would be the smart game. Or stay here forever. Few and Randy Bennett seem to be content.

That's only mostly part of it, altho a big part of it.

The BIG 10, Big 12, ACC are MURDER's row, extremely tough, the toughest conferences in bball.

There are programs in other conferences, that Smith would probably do well at that are not blue bloods.

But if Smith is at a non semi blue blood to blue blood bball program in one of the top 3 conferences, in Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Smith would probably semi consistently finish in the bottom half of those conferences at non semi blue blood to blue blood schools.

And it's not just that. If a college is just below, almost a semi blue blood, in one of the tougher 3 conferences above, and if combined with that, the college has HIGH EXPECTATIONS, and if that college pays a lot, all combined together, then there would be a very good chance that not only would Smith probably not finish in the top half of conference, but would get FIRED by that college that has VERY HIGH EXPECTATIONS, etc, like expecting Smith to finish top 1,2,3,4 in conference, NIT, NCAA tourny, every year, etc, in one of the 3 toughest conferences in nation.

Some colleges, like the kind described above, are not as good of fits for Smith.

Others like the Gonzaga Job(If they were replacing Few), would probably be a good, better fit for Smith.

Stanford will never be in the situation WSU is in now.

If the ACC fails apart, they are not going to be in a P4 conference. They would be relegated to a midmajor conference, or go independent, do schedule alliances, etc. in THAT SENSE, KIND OF WAY, Stanford could semi probably end up in WSU's situation(not being in a Power Conference.)

Michigan is a storied bball program(Fab five, etc).

They are a very legit threat if they decide to get Smith over other candidates. And Smith would probably do well there, and would get a ton of money.

So now it's Louisville, Michigan that legit threats to get Smith.

Add 1,2,3 more Louisville's, Michigan's to that, and I'll be worried.

Or if Louisville, Michigan put Smith at the very top of their list, as the coach that they want, and I'll be worried.

Don’t line the west coast jobs potentially opening up (Stanford for sure and maybe UCLA if Cronin leaves, UW and maybe USC).

They’ve all seen Kyle Smith and what he’s done in Pullman. The eastern schools have no idea the challenges of Pullman. All those former conference foes do.

Don’t line the west coast jobs potentially opening up (Stanford for sure and maybe UCLA if Cronin leaves, UW and maybe USC).

They’ve all seen Kyle Smith and what he’s done in Pullman. The eastern schools have no idea the challenges of Pullman. All those former conference foes do.

UCLA, and USC would worry me, if they lose their coaches and if Smith were to be their top choice.

The UW job belongs to Dan Sprinkler.

ADs should know the challenges unless they are basically idiots. Whether they believe they can sell a "WSU coach" to the boosters and fans is another thing.

WOW, I'm shocked that Smith is not on Louisville's list. I didn't think Smith would be at the top of the list, but I thought he would be on it.

Louisville is not guaranteed to get Cronin, thereby opening up the UCLA job, as there are other candidates on list besides Cronin.

And even if Louisville gets Cronin, opening up UCLA, there are other candidates besides Smith that on UCLA's list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT