ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's Grier skipping bowl game

What if it had been WVU vs WSU in the Alamo bowl? The bowl would have been touting a great QB matchup...then a fade to black. On the other hand, it is the smart thing to do as he prepares for a pro career. I think NFL teams will see this as a commitment to his career, not a snub to his former team.

One could be cynical and look at this from another perspective...and argue that these bowl games (and college football in general) are all about generating billions of dollars for universities, Larry Scott's expensive tastes, the leagues, big corporations, etc. and so he is (like all of those institutions) protecting his best interests and will gain nothing by playing in an essentially meaningless bowl game.

But we wouldn't want to be cynical, now would we?

And yes, that would be a kick in the gut if GM did this.

Reactions: firecoug and Cougzz
Wow. It's one thing if it's a tackle or RB or whatever. But the QB? And his coach supports it? I wouldn't. I'd call him out a selfish traitor. Imagine if GM did that to us.

I would think an NFL team would think very poorly of a player's character to run out on his team like this.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eers-qb-grier-skip-bowl-game-focus-draft-prep

These losers should quit long before a bowl game. Just get the hell out and give real and decent men a shot at playing.

GM has the chance to play in a somewhat more prestigious bowl than Will Grier. If a top NFL-ready QB like Grier in his last year of college decides to skip a generic whatever bowl then happy trails. The general consensus on the WVU message boards revolves around ‘thanks for giving country roads two great years’. That is one grateful fan base.

Get the CFP big. 24 yesterday. I know they are contractually obligated for awhile. The more Christian Mccaffreys skip out the sooner fans get what they want.

Of course if you like meaningless games in empty stadiums keep it small and sell way less advertising

Reactions: Cougzz
Wow. It's one thing if it's a tackle or RB or whatever. But the QB? And his coach supports it? I wouldn't. I'd call him out a selfish traitor. Imagine if GM did that to us.

I would think an NFL team would think very poorly of a player's character to run out on his team like this.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eers-qb-grier-skip-bowl-game-focus-draft-prep
Well when your left tackle does too, that was probably the last straw. He doesn’t want to be back there with suspect pass blocking when the NFL awaits. What are you going to do as a coach, not the best idea to be criticizing players for making personal business decisions. Not that I like it personally.

GM has the chance to play in a somewhat more prestigious bowl than Will Grier. If a top NFL-ready QB like Grier in his last year of college decides to skip a generic whatever bowl then happy trails. The general consensus on the WVU message boards revolves around ‘thanks for giving country roads two great years’. That is one grateful fan base.

I bet his teammates feel differently....

His future NFL OT bailed before Grier. His goodbye quote could have been: “Suspect protection before being a first or second round prospect? I’m outta here.” Seems like common sense.

I don't hold it against any potential 1/2 round pick. I think any kid that is legitimately looking at getting drafted that high should do it. With so much money involved these days. Everyone should be treating it like a business.

I doubt that his teammates feel betrayed. If they as a team were playing for something meaningful, they might be angry, but other than getting one more W, there isn't anything meaningful about West Virginia playing in the Camping World Bowl (or the Alamo Bowl for that matter). Gardner skipping the Alamo Bowl would be more insulting because WSU is playing for its 11th win of the season, something that's never been done in our school's history. I'd be disappointed in any of our players skipping since there is something meaningful as a goal. If we were in the Sun Bowl at 8-4? I wouldn't blame him for skipping it.

I doubt that his teammates feel betrayed. If they as a team were playing for something meaningful, they might be angry, but other than getting one more W, there isn't anything meaningful about West Virginia playing in the Camping World Bowl (or the Alamo Bowl for that matter). Gardner skipping the Alamo Bowl would be more insulting because WSU is playing for its 11th win of the season, something that's never been done in our school's history. I'd be disappointed in any of our players skipping since there is something meaningful as a goal. If we were in the Sun Bowl at 8-4? I wouldn't blame him for skipping it.

Really? Granted I was not a D-1 football player, but I would think that the last game of the season (and for WVU most seniors the last game of their lives) would be pretty important to the players. If not, why would any of them play? They could all suffer serious injuries that might affect the rest of their lives. As I say now that my sports-related ankle and knee injuries now prevent me from being able to run and pretty much hurt all the time.

He doesnt need any more game film for the NFL. If it were a higher end team there might be some value there. As it stands now, is lighting up Camping Bowl gonna make him more $$$?

I agree with the business decision. I disagree with sitting your last game with what are likely lifelong friends and fans.

It all comes down to his team mates. If they support it, I have no problem with it. I don't think how "meaningful" the bowl is matters. If it matters to the team, it should matter its the leader.

Reactions: firecoug
His “career” in the NFL will be somewhere between Practice Squad & 3rd Stringer.

This is on par with a college basketball player declaring for the NBA Draft as a sophomore only to land in a Lower Tiered Europe League

His “career” in the NFL will be somewhere between Practice Squad & 3rd Stringer.

This is on par with a college basketball player declaring for the NBA Draft as a sophomore only to land in a Lower Tiered Europe League
No doubt he'll get paid as the NFL is aways willing to throw picks away to risk getting a decent QB.

Truth is he will be like any other player to go into the NFL; chances are he'll wash out within 4 years or less whether it be due to injury or just not being able to cut it.

Yes too bad now the Cougs aren't playing WVU...….
I disagree. As I noted on another thread, a win against a WVU without Grier would have been lose-lose for us (“WVU didn’t have Grier” if we win or “You couldn’t even win with Grier out”).

A victory over a full strength ISU team is much better than a win over WVU without their playmaker.

Reactions: 79COUG and Cougzz
I disagree. As I noted on another thread, a win against a WVU without Grier would have been lose-lose for us (“WVU didn’t have Grier” if we win or “You couldn’t even win with Grier out”).

A victory over a full strength ISU team is much better than a win over WVU without their playmaker.
I agree about not wanting to play a team in a bowl that’s got two key players not playing, but two weeks after the game nobody is gonna remember how we got to 11 wins...it’s still 11 wins. I don’t remember if we faced anyone’s backup QBs during the stretch of 10 win seasons in the early 2000s. You certainly won’t hear any acknowledgement from the opposition when we are playing our backup QBs, or other circumstances makes a loss more likely...they will still thump their chests if they win.

I agree about not wanting to play a team in a bowl that’s got two key players not playing, but two weeks after the game nobody is gonna remember how we got to 11 wins...it’s still 11 wins. I don’t remember if we faced anyone’s backup QBs during the stretch of 10 win seasons in the early 2000s. You certainly won’t hear any acknowledgement from the opposition when we are playing our backup QBs, or other circumstances makes a loss more likely...they will still thump their chests if they win.

mutts everywhere approve of this post. :mad:

Reactions: 79COUG
One thing people should consider when making up their mind about Will Grier's decision.

He is married and has a little baby girl. I am not going to fault a man who decides to focus on improving his draft stock instead of playing in a bowl game if he is trying to do the best he can to provide for his family.

He is not your typical college kid trying to live out dreams of glory in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT