ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Bowl Games?

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
Today we watched Texas upset/manhandle Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. UCF made a run at LSU in the Fiesta Bowl. Earlier, Syracuse dispatched a better WVU team, plus a lot of other weird bowl results.

In most cases it didn't change the W/L result, but each team which lost or struggled were missing some of their best players: WVU sans QB Will Grier and WR Gary Jennings, Georgia without Jim Thorpe winner Deandre Baker, LSU without Greedy Williams - and an incomplete list of others detailed here.

In fact, 4 of Mel Kiper's projected Top 10 NFL picks skipped their bowl games, and their teams lost all of those matchups but one. Another who did not skip (Bosa) was injured, and one more is now returning (Herbert). This means that, of those who had the draft at stake, only 4 chose to play in their bowl game, and 2 of those are playing for a national championship. If they weren't, good chance one or both skip their game(s) as well and you have only 1 or 2 difference-makers opting in.

It's hugely frustrating for fans, as you want to see exotic or storied rivalries between upstarts and powerhouses - but bragging rights get muddled when you're missing players who are statistically worth a TD or more each game.

Is this the future of college football? What if WSU is sniffing the playoffs every year but our Minshew/Patmon combo in 2022 bail, and we lose to Fresno State at full strength? Were they a better program? Their fans will think so, and maybe even beat their chests about the MWC.

How do you get players to stay? Can you? Is the NCAA continuing to lose its clout? How lame will bowl season be when all the players who got you there quit after Week 15?

Today we watched Texas upset/manhandle Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. UCF made a run at LSU in the Fiesta Bowl. Earlier, Syracuse dispatched a better WVU team, plus a lot of other weird bowl results.

In most cases it didn't change the W/L result, but each team which lost or struggled were missing some of their best players: WVU sans QB Will Grier and WR Gary Jennings, Georgia without Jim Thorpe winner Deandre Baker, LSU without Greedy Williams - and an incomplete list of others detailed here.

In fact, 4 of Mel Kiper's projected Top 10 NFL picks skipped their bowl games, and their teams lost all of those matchups but one. Another who did not skip (Bosa) was injured, and one more is now returning (Herbert). This means that, of those who had the draft at stake, only 4 chose to play in their bowl game, and 2 of those are playing for a national championship. If they weren't, good chance one or both skip their game(s) as well and you have only 1 or 2 difference-makers opting in.

It's hugely frustrating for fans, as you want to see exotic or storied rivalries between upstarts and powerhouses - but bragging rights get muddled when you're missing players who are statistically worth a TD or more each game.

Is this the future of college football? What if WSU is sniffing the playoffs every year but our Minshew/Patmon combo in 2022 bail, and we lose to Fresno State at full strength? Were they a better program? Their fans will think so, and maybe even beat their chests about the MWC.

How do you get players to stay? Can you? Is the NCAA continuing to lose its clout? How lame will bowl season be when all the players who got you there quit after Week 15?

Can't help but think, given the score, that UCF wins that game with their starting QB who was also their inspirational leader.

Anyway, couple of ideas here:

1) stop having meaningless bowl games. The lower tier bowls have watered down the significance of everything except the final four. When I say lower tier, you know what I mean - redbox, cheezit, et al.

2) really simple - part of the player contract is repaying the school somehow. I was initially thinking you'd have them repay for the years that they actually played, but that might motivate players to leave even earlier. If you have them pay for the years left on their eligibility, but that just seems unfair. And what would you charge them since tuitions vary? Have a standard rate for this purpose - say $50k per year?

Can't help but think, given the score, that UCF wins that game with their starting QB who was also their inspirational leader.

1) stop having meaningless bowl games. The lower tier bowls have watered down the significance of everything except the final four. When I say lower tier, you know what I mean - redbox, cheezit, et al.

2) really simple - part of the player contract is repaying the school somehow. I was initially thinking you'd have them repay for the years that they actually played, but that might motivate players to leave even earlier. If you have them pay for the years left on their eligibility, but that just seems unfair. And what would you charge them since tuitions vary? Have a standard rate for this purpose - say $50k per year?
That's a loan, not a scholarship

Reactions: Cougzz

Interesting idea. Repayment is intriguing but a simpler solution would seem to be making NON-repayment conditional on completing your "contract"? ie to play any and all contests. They could of course mail it in during the game or fake injury (a real possibility), but some of that would presumably have an adverse impact on their draft stock which polices itself to some degree.

Interesting idea. Repayment is intriguing but a simpler solution would seem to be making NON-repayment conditional on completing your "contract"? ie to play any and all contests. They could of course mail it in during the game or fake injury (a real possibility), but some of that would presumably have an adverse impact on their draft stock which polices itself to some degree.
My understanding is that scholarships are renewed yearly, so they would theoretically only be on the hook for the current year.

I would really hate for college football to become college basketball to where it is whoever can field the best team of freshmen.

This is a big problem IMO.

I think the only ways to fix it are to either (1) get rid of the playoff system and go back to the old bowl allegiances allowing the writers to vote #1, or (2) expand the playoffs to 16 or 32 like I-AA.

That is, I don't think this hybrid approach is working. Elite players on teams outside the top 4 are seeing the bowls for what they are: exhibition games.

With the direction that this problem is going, how long will it take for NFL prospects on mediocre teams to bail on the last game or two by "pulling an imaginary hamstring" or "suffering a phantom ankle sprain"? No, I have no solution in mind but something has to be done to discourage this abusive practice.

My understanding is that scholarships are renewed yearly, so they would theoretically only be on the hook for the current year.

I would really hate for college football to become college basketball to where it is whoever can field the best team of freshmen.

Too much physicality in football to see a team of frosh push for titles. Simply too much time in the weight room needed.

So now if the high end player, that has already made your school millions of dollars, leaves school early he owes you money? WTF? That aint happening.

If you force him to play in the game and he tears up his knee can he then sue the school for lost wages in the NFL? Seems fair to me.

Schools and the NCAA have made millions off these kids. Now that it’s their turn to protect their future its time to invoice them for $50,000? GTFO.

The way to stop it from happening is to wait until the end of the season to award players with the different national trophies. If the different awards (Hiesman, Outland, Johnny Unitas etc....) we’re awarded AFTER the bowl games, it will solve 90% of these issues. Will Grier for example, was up for multiple awards, he’d have played to enhance his position. This is an easy solution.

Reactions: metprof and 79COUG
The way to stop it from happening is to wait until the end of the season to award players with the different national trophies. If the different awards (Hiesman, Outland, Johnny Unitas etc....) we’re awarded AFTER the bowl games, it will solve 90% of these issues. Will Grier for example, was up for multiple awards, he’d have played to enhance his position. This is an easy solution.

Maybe for some. What good is a trophy if you have a broken leg and lose your NFL paycheck?

Sorry, youre wrong on the internet.

The ESPN talking heads suggested paying players (a few thousand dollars) to play in the bowl game instead of giving them their bags of swag. It may not work financially for the bowls, but I thought it was a decent idea.

Make it so only college graduates can enter the draft.

Agent Signatory / Communication begins March 1st

School Pro Days are May 1st

Combine is May 15th

Make the NFL draft be June 1st.

Rookie Camp is June 15th-June 30th

Fall Camp - July 25th

There you have it. Now by the time the season ends versus the time the draft ends is about six months.

You can only enter if you are a graduate and you can’t even talk to an agent until March 1st.

Everyone will play in bowls because it will be another six months until the draft.

Right now the draft is in April. 4 months after the season.

An ACL injury takes about 5 months to heal. That’s why players are skipping. If they hurt their knee they won’t be healed in time to be ready for the draft or combine. Which will cost them a lot of money.

Pushing the combine at 5.5 months and the draft at six makes it so they are can be ready to go.

I've often wondered if baseball has it figured out better than the other major sports. Create a minor league system in which the MLB teams can develop players who opt to go pro right out of HS or no sooner than their junior year in college (sophomore year if they have redshirted or reach the age of 21 by a certain date). This would certainly dilute the college game further but would provide more/better options for players who really don't want to go to school or can't wait to start their professional careers. It would also require a massive investment in developing a minor league system. Probably a crazy idea and doesn't necessarily address the OP's observations...but since we are throwing ideas against the wall, thought I would give it a toss.

Glad Cougar

As things are, I don't think you worry about it and you don't try to change things. You play the guys you have and those teams that lost undoubtedly got a young player some valuable experience. It sucks that guys aren't playing but not any more than having guys leave the program early to go pro. Either way, you need another guy to step up.

I do agree that it might be time to thin the herd on bowl games. I heard that there was less than 10,000 at the First Responder Bowl that was cancelled. The Redbox bowl attendance was a joke. The announced attendance was 30k but there were 10,000 empty seats masquerading as fans from what I saw. I'm not sure how it should be changed, but it seems like we need to get down to about 30 bowls at the most.

Get rid of the conference championship games and go straight to a 32-team playoff, provide cash payments and insurance to your NFL prospects, and heap on the peer pressure to play for your teammates. If your pro prospects get drafted, sign a big contract and get a bonus, the schools will more than get those cash payments back.
The model for this? The Final Four CFP. Alabama's stars are already getting cash, and they're playing for and wanting a national title.

Last edited:

LSU was missing something like 8 starters from that game. What happens if they all played?

Or maybe the simple solution is nothing. Teams are just going to have to deal with the fact that some of their elite players may not be eligible for bowl games. Adapt to the times. Develop your backups. Make sure to get your #2 QB some meaningful reps during the season. If Minshew had decided to skip the bowl, so be it. Get Tinsley or Gordon in there.

At what point do non-CFP bowl games become nothing more than teasers for the annual Spring Scrimmage?

I believe the current trend of players opting-out of bowl games hasn't been accelerated significantly by the hybrid approach ... I think it has more to do with the mentality of today's generation of athletes.

If the #12 team is playing the #10 team or the #9 team is playing the #6 team, nothing has changed ... your team(s) weren't going to win the national title under the old system, either, so how are the current bowl games, even the NY6 games, "meaningless exhibition games" if they weren't already? They already didn't mean anything other than having some effect on a final ranking or having an impact on conference standing/reputation.

Also, count me in as a (perhaps lonely) voice in support of keeping a high number of bowl games as long as the economics are there to support them. I'd rather watch some bowl game involving a couple of 7-5 Group of Five teams than just about anything else, and it's a good experience for players and for those fans who choose to be part of the experience. Getting rid of the Cheez-It Bowl isn't going to make the Alamo Bowl more important.

At what point do non-CFP bowl games become nothing more than teasers for the annual Spring Scrimmage?

When they lose so much money that the organizers won't hold them anymore. ESPN owns a bunch of the lower tier games. I guess to provide content during what would otherwise be a slow time of the year.

It's a free country, players can choose to play or not play, don't understand why everyone cares. The signing bonus, if you are drafted in the 1st -3rd rounds, is worth far more than the 4- 5 year cost of your college scholarship in monetary terms. Paying players to play in bowl games doesn't makes sense, as the pay won't even come close to covering what a high pick would get. If they play great, if they don't, I wish them well at the next level.

It's a free country, players can choose to play or not play, don't understand why everyone cares. The signing bonus, if you are drafted in the 1st -3rd rounds, is worth far more than the 4- 5 year cost of your college scholarship in monetary terms. Paying players to play in bowl games doesn't makes sense, as the pay won't even come close to covering what a high pick would get. If they play great, if they don't, I wish them well at the next level.
Yeah, I kind of lean towards this. I get why it's a disappointment, don't get me wrong. As a squad, as a program, as fans, we root on TEAMS. And when one player leaves for their own purposes, I can see where people would think that it goes against the "team" thing. But I don't think it does. They have family, they have dreams and they need to take care of those.

The players have to look out for themselves. For anyone that has queazy feelings about paying players, you shouldn't have any issue with a player looking out for their best interests. THIS is the kind of thing that will assuage that movement.

New to posting been ghosting for years.

Strictly thinking about the CF post-season, what if a Bowl or a couple of Bowls teamed up to do there own 4 team Tournament outside of the CFP? For instance The Alamo Bowl becomes the Alamo Invitational carried exclusively on CBS and Turner or NBC Sports. They invite 4 best teams outside of playoff (Maybe a min. 9 win requirement to get an invite) plays a double header Friday before new years and a championship game Friday before the CFP Title game. With the TV network money, you can offer a payout that out paces what schools get for going to their bowl game, thus being more interesting for the school than just going to the normal bowl game. This year you could have invited Georgia, WSU, Michigan, and Texas (for example), somebody who knows marketing could put a good spin on why this is a fun invitational, and sell it as the "teams who should have got a shot" and let bowls figure out how to compete.

Strictly thinking about the CF post-season, what if a Bowl or a couple of Bowls teamed up to do there own 4 team Tournament outside of the CFP? For instance The Alamo Bowl becomes the Alamo Invitational carried exclusively on CBS and Turner or NBC Sports. They invite 4 best teams outside of playoff (Maybe a min. 9 win requirement to get an invite) plays a double header Friday before new years and a championship game Friday before the CFP Title game. With the TV network money, you can offer a payout that out paces what schools get for going to their bowl game, thus being more interesting for the school than just going to the normal bowl game. This year you could have invited Georgia, WSU, Michigan, and Texas (for example), somebody who knows marketing could put a good spin on why this is a fun invitational, and sell it as the "teams who should have got a shot" and let bowls figure out how to compete.

Ive seen this idea kicked around for group of 5 teams. Have their own title.

I think this is a good idea. BTW, welcome to posting!

But here's the thing. ESPN has a death grip on bowl games. Let alone the ones they own. What you've outlined is KINDA like what started all the bowl games. But you're putting the spin on it being about competition for ESPN. I'd be game but the politic'ing would be extreme. NCAA, conference agreements, school agreements with the conference(s) and NCAA... Yikes. I think it would be cool. I don't see a network wanting to take that on any time soon, but that would be cool.

Odd note and find: For those that are wondering how long these lower tier bowls will last... I went to get a list of all the bowl games ESPN owns and they are starting up a new one in 2020. The Myrtle Beach Bowl. The money flow in these games is exceptional, folks. The stands might be empty, but the sales department are these networks know what they are doing. Almost a regional bowl with lesser teams.

Welcome to the board glad to have you

Again, which is more $800,000 or NFL 1st round money?

Youre wrong on the internet again.

Then you might as well skip your senior season.... where does it end? If you skip, you lose out on the awards. It will keep most in check. We’ll just have to disagree.

I think this is a good idea. BTW, welcome to posting!

But here's the thing. ESPN has a death grip on bowl games. Let alone the ones they own. What you've outlined is KINDA like what started all the bowl games. But you're putting the spin on it being about competition for ESPN. I'd be game but the politic'ing would be extreme. NCAA, conference agreements, school agreements with the conference(s) and NCAA... Yikes. I think it would be cool. I don't see a network wanting to take that on any time soon, but that would be cool.

Odd note and find: For those that are wondering how long these lower tier bowls will last... I went to get a list of all the bowl games ESPN owns and they are starting up a new one in 2020. The Myrtle Beach Bowl. The money flow in these games is exceptional, folks. The stands might be empty, but the sales department are these networks know what they are doing. Almost a regional bowl with lesser teams.

ESPN owns 15 bowl games per this article (below), I guess including the new one. And what do you mean by "the money flow is exceptional"?

https://www.myrtlebeachbowlgame.com/

Lots of players have skipped their senior seasons for a long time? Might even be a few Coug names you'd recognize.

Absolutely! Happens all the time. Why play the last 3 games of the season? Last half of a season? Surely the top 10 know they are top 10 by the midpoint of any given season. Will that be the tipping point, when a player gets confirmation of being a top 25 pick? It’s not worth a busted up knee to play any longer, right? They play because they have an incentive to play for....

Last edited:
Yeah, I kind of lean towards this. I get why it's a disappointment, don't get me wrong. As a squad, as a program, as fans, we root on TEAMS. And when one player leaves for their own purposes, I can see where people would think that it goes against the "team" thing. But I don't think it does. They have family, they have dreams and they need to take care of those. The players have to look out for themselves. For anyone that has queazy feelings about paying players, you shouldn't have any issue with a player looking out for their best interests. THIS is the kind of thing that will assuage that movement.

Then you might as well skip your senior season.... where does it end? If you skip, you lose out on the awards. It will keep most in check. We’ll just have to disagree.

When you say “most” how many guys? Maybe 3 or 4 kids? I dunno if that’s enough.

It’s risk versus reward. Miss out on the Heisman which you may or may not win OR get injured and watch your earnings plummet???

Make it so only college graduates can enter the draft.

Agent Signatory / Communication begins March 1st

School Pro Days are May 1st

Combine is May 15th

Make the NFL draft be June 1st.

Rookie Camp is June 15th-June 30th

Fall Camp - July 25th

There you have it. Now by the time the season ends versus the time the draft ends is about six months.

You can only enter if you are a graduate and you can’t even talk to an agent until March 1st.

Everyone will play in bowls because it will be another six months until the draft.

Right now the draft is in April. 4 months after the season.

An ACL injury takes about 5 months to heal. That’s why players are skipping. If they hurt their knee they won’t be healed in time to be ready for the draft or combine. Which will cost them a lot of money.

Pushing the combine at 5.5 months and the draft at six makes it so they are can be ready to go.
An ACL takes how long to heal and be ready to play?

By the looks of some of the crowds they are already there.

How important is attendance? What about TV ratings? The Rose Bowl outperformed the two playoff games, or so it has been reported.

What attendance changes is who gets invited to spend money in the host city and how well a school school travels and spends money. ISU will be a hot team next year if they are bowl eligible.

ESPN owns 15 bowl games per this article (below), I guess including the new one. And what do you mean by "the money flow is exceptional"?

https://www.myrtlebeachbowlgame.com/
Just to make it reaaaally simple, the Alamo bowl got 5.5 million viewers. How much do you think the network get per set of eyeballs? $5? $10? $50? Check out that math and realize this is just one vein of money flow. And this is coming from a bowl they DON'T own but then lets look at the potential of owning a bowl.

First and foremost, the butts in seats. No matter how many, that's normally gravy. The venue's are HEAVY sponsors. Valero paid a few bucks to be the title sponsor. Lets not forget the smaller sponsors. I was going to put the list of other sponsors on here but there are so many, it went past the allotted numbers of characters I could use in a post. Go here. https://www.alamobowl.com/get-involved/current-sponsors/
Some are financial, most of them probably aren't but that just means less overhead, more monies to keep in the coffers.

Lets not forget about the towns and Chamber of Commerce. Remember these are sold as community events because of the massive influx of travelers coming into town... And all of this is just the beginning. This is all the bigger stuff but I'm certain I'm missing one of the biggies. Anyways, I guess it depends on your definition of "exceptional but hundreds of millions of dollars flowing around ONE bowl game is... exceptional to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT