ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes.......Falk’s Night

I really like Luke and hope it all works out for him. But I watched the KC-GB game last night and saw an undrafted FA QB from Marshall (Chase Litton) play well for the Chiefs and wondered how did Falk get drafted but not this guy. Has a strong arm, excellent pocket presence, really good touch on the finesse pass, never got rattled under pressure, etc...Litton was supposed to be a 6-7 round draft pick but got passed over. Tool-wise, he seems superior to Falk. Whatever happens, I'll be rooting hard for Luke, but he will certainly not make the 53-man roster for the Titans unless they keep 3 QBs. Gabbert has the #2 position locked up.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Cougzz
I was hoping he'd use this game to make a statement... unfortunately that statement may be that he just isnt an NFL caliber QB. He clearly lacks the arm strength to consistently make the intermediate and long throws. He's also not nearly as accurate as the Leach system made him look. Lastly, and he had this problem at WSU, he takes too many sacks rather than getting rid of the ball.

You can fix the last thing... and you might be able to add a little zip to his throws with mechanics and some time in weight room, but at this point, he's AT BEST a practice squad guy.

I'm still scatching my head a bit wondering what happened to that young sophmore QB with moxie that led us on multiple clutch game winning drives. It just seems that at about the Colorado game his junior year, things starting going down hill for him. He regressed in many of his early strengths and failed to progress in other areas.

But hey, he got drafted. I'm sure this is a dream come true for him and I am happy for him.. just thought (at one point) that he was destined for more. I hope the Titans keep him on, either as QB 3 or PS.

I really like Falk, as a player and as a person. But everytime I think of him playing in the NFL I remember seeing his head bouncing off the turf during his college years. I hope he rides the bench for many years in the NFL.

I will be surprised if he makes a practice squad. I wish him luck but feel his professional life lies elsewhere. He never really had a strong arm and fit the definition of a systems QB. Perhaps he can start the process of a coaching career as a graduate assistant on leach s staff?

Leading up the draft in April, Brand X was touting Luke as a potential first-round draft choice, possibly to the New England Patriots as Tom Brady's understudy.

I guess you never know about the NFL.

Edit: Hopefully Falk is doing well in practice. Sometimes that can be more important than the exhibition games as far as the coaches are concerned.

Leading up the draft in April, Brand X was touting Luke as a potential first-round draft choice, possibly to the New England Patriots as Tom Brady's understudy.

I guess you never know about the NFL.

Edit: Hopefully Falk is doing well in practice. Sometimes that can be more important than the exhibition games as far as the coaches are concerned.

From what I can gather, he has been underwelming in practice as well. Too bad.

Actually watching Falk in the NFL and seeing Tavares Martin run 4.8 at the combine makes you realize how extraordinary the last 3 seasons have been.

Now wonder if Leach actually did a better job than he was even given credit for. Really not much talent to think those were 8-9 win type teams in a P5 conference.

Last edited:
Actually watching Falk in the NFL and seeing Tavares Martin run 4.8 at the combine makes you realize how extraordinary the last 3 seasons have been.

Now wonder if Leach actually did a better job than he was even given credit for. Really not much talent to think those were 8-9 type teams in a P5 conference.

I used to resent the accusation that Leach's quarterbacks only got their stats due to Leach's "system." Watching Falk I am reminded of how angry I was when Graham Harrell from TTU was undrafted by the NFL despite all his college records. Harrell finally got his chance as backup quarterback for Greenbay and was released after three years because he just wasn't good enough for the NFL.

I drew two conclusions from this, the first is that college demands a very different set of quarterback skills than the NFL. The second is that Leach's "system" can truly make a decent college quarterback look great.

I now firmly believe that Leach really does do a better job offensively than he gets credit for.

Now wonder if Leach actually did a better job than he was even given credit for. Really not much talent to think those were 8-9 win type teams in a P5 conference.
I think he does more with less. No question . Matchups are key. Some are more favorable for WSU and him than others . But there is two sides of the coin. Why is he getting a wr that runs a 4.8? Why did he struggle getting dlineman the last few years when he started so well with barber destiny gauta.

SoCal does bring up recruiting a great deal . I think leach will continue to have success at WSU (even if I think this year will be a down year for him ) but he may never hit the highs Mike Price hit .

I used to resent the accusation that Leach's quarterbacks only got their stats due to Leach's "system." Watching Falk I am reminded of how angry I was when Graham Harrell from TTU was undrafted by the NFL despite all his college records. Harrell finally got his chance as backup quarterback for Greenbay and was released after three years because he just wasn't good enough for the NFL.

I drew two conclusions from this, the first is that college demands a very different set of quarterback skills than the NFL. The second is that Leach's "system" can truly make a decent college quarterback look great.

I now firmly believe that Leach really does do a better job offensively than he gets credit for.

I was hoping that with the new assistant for this year, Leach would hire a QB coach. Falk seemed to plateau after his sophomore year when Harrell left for North Texas.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
I believe that Falk plateaued the last two years in large part because of his broken ribs and then broken wrist, as well as not having decent outside receivers last year, and then finally because he is who we see now at the Titans.

I don't believe for a minute that Leach will ever hire a quarterback coach. He's done pretty well with his current system given the limitations in skill players he's had at the colleges he's coached at.

I think he does more with less. No question . Matchups are key. Some are more favorable for WSU and him than others . But there is two sides of the coin. Why is he getting a wr that runs a 4.8? Why did he struggle getting dlineman the last few years when he started so well with barber destiny gauta.

SoCal does bring up recruiting a great deal . I think leach will continue to have success at WSU (even if I think this year will be a down year for him ) but he may never hit the highs Mike Price hit .
it is doubtful he will hit the lows of price

The WR recruiting really took a hit losing Simmons to OU ( who now is their #1 recruiter).

You know the answer to the D-Line question > losing Salve'a to the Ducks. That and Hercules jumping to the NFL a year too early. If he was back this year the D-line picture would look drastically different.

No doubt losing those coaches set the program back. If Leach could have kept that original group together , I really think that they would have been truly competing with UW at this point and not just overachieving.

Luke is always been what one saw in games. No amount of QB coaching would ever make up for his lack of Physical skills and athleticism. I wish him luck in his future career.

Luke is always been what one saw in games. No amount of QB coaching would ever make up for his lack of Physical skills and athleticism. I wish him luck in his future career.

Who would have thought that Jeff Tuel was ahead of Falk at this stage of his NFL career...…

Meanwhile fellow ex-Bill EJ Manuel seems to be thriving in Oakland, and the Bills are still struggling at QB. Tuel time!

Sorry to hear this. I've thought that Tuel and Brink both had better chances for pro careers than Falk, mainly because they're both more mobile, much like Alex McGough. And it's looking like their regular season pro career numbers will be bigger than Falk's.

Rypien and Bledsoe weren't real mobile, but they were stronger.

Falk was released. Maybe moving to practice squad.

You have to figure Mariota will miss some time this season.

Falk really never had a chance to make the NFL He is in no way shape or form an NFL QB. Tuel had far more tools than Falk. Falk needs to move on with his life. Perhaps he can hire on as a graduate assistant with Leach.

And people wonder why he'd listen to Tennessee offering crazy money and allowing him to walk into a situation with 100,000 fans in the stands, a top-10 revenue situation, the ability to hang onto assistants due to financial resources, and, as most pertinent here, the ability to pull top-25 recruiting classes without a ton of effort and top-15 type classes if he had some ace recruiters.

It has to really dig at him to have people bitch and moan about him winning 8 or 9 games a year at WSU with classes in the 40s and 50s, when he must believe he could win conference titles at a place with the ability to pull in top talent. I think it's a little more complex than that--you couldn't simply extrapolate to toss a bunch more wins on the pile due to better talent, since the system has some limitations and would need to be adapted, and his inability to have a situation like that to a great extent owes to his own particularities--but it is pretty clear why he'd listen, and he probably feels unappreciated for what he's been able to accomplish in situations in which most other coaches would fail.

Reactions: wazzubruce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT