ADVERTISEMENT

You just know that WSU is next!

Here's a question:
Does WSU have the ability to take any discounts on scholarship costs if the kid is in-state vs. out-of-state? My sense is no.

Politician clanging his saber. Make noise so he can "fix" it. Pointless article. I lived in Oregon for a good portion of my life. That states politics is in dire condition, regardless of the side of the aisle you're on.

Considering Sen. Peter Courtney is originally from the Northeast and is a transplant himself, I think this is so stupid. If I were in his district, I would be thinking about complaining to him. Of course, I probably wouldn't actually do so, just think about doing so. But, I would go onto Ducks Sports Authority (the Ducks Rivals site) and sit behind my keyboard and bitch.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:
Here's a question:
Does WSU have the ability to take any discounts on scholarship costs if the kid is in-state vs. out-of-state? My sense is no.
I'm just adding to the noise here, but with apologies for that, I believe that the AD has to pay the actual tuition costs for the kids on scholarship, which vary in accordance with whether the kid is a WA resident or not for tuition purposes. I think it actually *does* matter whether the kid is in or out of state for this purpose.

425 - I was kind of 50.50 on that assumption, but if it matters, you should really think about having a percentage of in-state kids on the roster. Mainly for the non-revenue sports that don't make money.

A politician sees a chance to seize the microphone and try to appear as if he is defending his constituents. Shocking. Nothing to see here.

I tend not to react to attention-getting legislative gimmicks like this one. To me, it's no different than the moronic proposals to split Washington into two states.
But I'm certain USC and UCLA would love it if Oregon, OSU, WSU, and UW each have to take 10 of their in-state products every year instead of luring the Cali talent north.

Yes they are. Oregon's legislature is a part-time job and they act like it.

But to the point. The state senator is clearly clueless, about how success works. Oregon has been successful, and their brand now allows them to draw nationally, meaning national competition for the open 22 or 25 or however many spots there are. Oregon's talent is miniscule compared even to mediocre states, let alone the big 3. Say, the U of O's faculty consisted of 25 people....and of course they recruited nationally. Does he expect that Oregon talent would be well represented in the faculty? Of course not. As one poster already said, the senator is a transplant himself (as are many, many "Oregonians"). Like it or not, the fact that UO had no oregonians in this class speaks to the university's success on the field. And each spot is precious...this sound like the geographical equivalent of affirmative action or quotas.....Dumb guy.

Funny thing to me still is that we have two WA kids in the class. Toki was the one year in Cali, but is a WA kid by any other measure, and was living here when he committed, and Singleton was living here when he graduated. Strange how it all looks like a conspiracy against our great state until you take the time to really look at who signed and get their history.

Originally posted by SCglory:
Yes they are. Oregon's legislature is a part-time job and they act like it.

But to the point. The state senator is clearly clueless, about how success works. Oregon has been successful, and their brand now allows them to draw nationally, meaning national competition for the open 22 or 25 or however many spots there are. Oregon's talent is miniscule compared even to mediocre states, let alone the big 3. Say, the U of O's faculty consisted of 25 people....and of course they recruited nationally. Does he expect that Oregon talent would be well represented in the faculty? Of course not. As one poster already said, the senator is a transplant himself (as are many, many "Oregonians"). Like it or not, the fact that UO had no oregonians in this class speaks to the university's success on the field. And each spot is precious...this sound like the geographical equivalent of affirmative action or quotas.....Dumb guy.
Most native Oregonians are Californians who moved north 20 to 40 years ago, but your point about applying the same quota to a faculty's make up is one I made in discussing this fart of an idea a few days ago. Whether it is faculty or a football recruiting class, you go for the best players possible, wherever they're from. This guy is simply an attention whore.
This little ruckus does remind me, however, of a situation a few years ago when the UW was rejecting applications from academically high-performing high school students from the state of Washington in favor of out-of-state applicants, who would pay more tuition. I can't imagine in-state students were being turned away in droves, but it was enough for some to cry a river over it.
This post was edited on 2/10 9:29 AM by YakiCoug

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT