ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Arnett - San Diego St.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Brand x is floating Zach Arnett, DC at San Diego State, as an emerging name for our DC vacancy. SDSU ranked 4th in the Nation in points allowed and 5th in yards allowed this year. Pretty impressive in an offensive league like the MWC. The most points they allowed all season was 23 vs. Utah State. They held UCLA to 14, Hawaii to 14, BYU to 13, and Fresno St to 7. They won their bowl game 48-11 vs. Central Michigan.

I don’t know a lot about him, but his pedigree matches the kind of candidate I’d like to see us go after. Young guy. Played for Rocky Long at New Mexico in the 2005 timeframe, and now works under Long at SDSU. Long has always been well regarded as a good defensive coach, and someone who innovates absent top tier talent.

Interesting name to follow.

How many years has he done it ? Sometimes a talented senior laden team can make a dc look good for one season. I don’t know anything about SDSU or mwc

I like the idea of a guy with a background as a secondary coach like grinch

How many years has he done it ? Sometimes a talented senior laden team can make a dc look good for one season. I don’t know anything about SDSU or mwc

I like the idea of a guy with a background as a secondary coach like grinch

He’s been in the DC role for 2 seasons and has played and coached under Long for 10 years. Long is the true defensive coach, as is Belichick with the Patriots, but Arnett has been one of his top assistants for years. He’s a former LB.

Personally, I’m very intrigued by this prospect. He’s worked under one of the best DCs out there, and he has strong West Coast and So Cal recruiting ties.

I would grab Long the HC of SDSU as the DC.

Long is old enough as a HC for a MID MAJOR NON POWER 5, GROUP OF 5, that PROBABLY no GOOD, P5, and only a DESPERATE P5 team like a Arkansas, would hire him as a HC. As such he will probably not be a P5 HC.

HOWEVER:

IF he were the DC, Assistant Head Coach, #2 at. WSU, behind #1 at WSU, Leach, for 3,4,5 years, and if his defense a TOP defense, then he could either have a chance to replace Leach someday, after a Leach Retirement, or he could be hired as a good P5 HC, at a good P5.

And offer to pay him, $750k to 850k to 1 mil a year.

Altho the DC under Long is good, or will be good someday at the P5 level, with ONLY 2 years DC EXPERIENCE, at a LOWER level, that is too inexperienced for now.

Better to go after the Long, the defensive MASTER then his DC, the STUDENT.

Yes, the vaunted 3-3-5.
I watched Zach's recruitment out of high school. He was also a baseball prospect. Listed at 6-0 (actually 5-10) I thought he should be offered by a Pac12 school and play baseball as well. He was given a scholarship by New Mexico and was in all the defensive stats I was reading at the time. There's that Arnett kid doing very well in total tackles and forced fumbles. Zach's a quick study and a grinder as a coach. Self deprecating and very smart. I can see why he relates to a lot of people. I think he'd translate well to parents and prospects. Hope he doesn't get caught up in others calling him "loyal" which is code word for cheap. U$C may be also interested, but you know they want the huge hire.

The only time I've watched a 3-3-5 was the other night with Baylor. My biggest take away is they had trouble getting pressure on the QB.

Is that a issue with the 3-3-5?

The only time I've watched a 3-3-5 was the other night with Baylor. My biggest take away is they had trouble getting pressure on the QB.

Depends on how aggressive you can be with the safeties I assume. I DO remember an early aughts WSU team in Pullman having a lot of trouble scoring on New Mexico. It might've been the '03 team, I think Kegel was playing QB. They seemed particularly good at stopping the run.

Depends on how aggressive you can be with the safeties I assume. I DO remember an early aughts WSU team in Pullman having a lot of trouble scoring on New Mexico. It might've been the '03 team, I think Kegel was playing QB. They seemed particularly good at stopping the run.

2003 and 2004.

IF he were the DC, Assistant Head Coach, #2 at. WSU, behind #1 at WSU, Leach, for 3,4,5 years, and if his defense a TOP defense, then he could either have a chance to replace Leach someday, after a Leach Retirement, or he could be hired as a good P5 HC, at a good P5.

Rocky Long will be 70 years old in a couple of weeks. First, he's not going back to become a coordinator when he's currently successful as a head coach (9 years at SDSU and in a bowl every one of those years.) Secondly, waiting up to 5 years for Leach to retire will make Long 75 if & when he's considered for another head coaching job. Arnett is a realistic choice and worth considering.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: 79COUG

Depends on how they run it. If they want the pass rush from the DL or the LBs.

I would grab Long the HC of SDSU as the DC.

Long is old enough as a HC for a MID MAJOR NON POWER 5, GROUP OF 5, that PROBABLY no GOOD, P5, and only a DESPERATE P5 team like a Arkansas, would hire him as a HC. As such he will probably not be a P5 HC.

HOWEVER:

And offer to pay him, $750k to 850k to 1 mil a year.

Altho the DC under Long is good, or will be good someday at the P5 level, with ONLY 2 years DC EXPERIENCE, at a LOWER level, that is too inexperienced for now.

Dude, Rocky Long is almost 70 years old. He's not taking a demotion to go be some "coach in waiting" at WSU.

The way these defenses move their alignments around pre snap now and play with hybrid guys who can put a hand in the dirt or stand up, there’s very minimal difference between 43, 34, 335, etc. Most teams play with a nickel DB 80% plus. You put your best 11 players on the field and scheme accordingly.

Kind of random, but Robb Akey followed Pres Schultz yesterday on Twitter. Didn't realize he was the DC at central Michigan.

Kind of random, but Robb Akey followed Pres Schultz yesterday on Twitter. Didn't realize he was the DC at central Michigan.

Central Michigan just gave up 48 points to SDSU in their bowl game, which was the Aztecs highest point total of the season. What's really concerning about that? SDSUs previous high point total was 31 against New Mexico State. They didn't score more than 27 points against any MWC opponents this year, yet they managed to score 48 against Central Michigan.

Consider that my polite way of saying thanks but no thanks to any Robb Akey speculation.

Offer Mike Zimmer the DC job. Low stress retirement job and probably doesn’t need $. Maybe he can bring Herc with him! Hehe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT