ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky Long

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Not sure why this has not been mentioned on this forum so I'll do it. We are in the market for a DC and Rocky Long of SDSU has apparently been interviewing for a DC job somewhere. At least according to brand X. Seems that at the age of 70 he wants to step back a bit and resume the defensive side of the field instead of dealing with the hassle of being the HC.

This raises a few questions. Does he still have the energy to recruit? Does he still have the energy needed to be effective on a college football staff? Zach Arnett's name has been mentioned here but does he assume the HC at San Diego if Long does indeed leave? Would Arnett have a higher salary at WSU as DC than HC at SDSU. Would we prefer the mentor for a few years or the student for a possible longer stretch? Leach has expressed respect for San Diego's defense during media interviews that strayed into our upcoming defensive changes. Thus either are a possibility as the next DC and we can be sure that CML is watching these developments down south.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions from others on the board would be appreciated.

Not sure why this has not been mentioned on this forum so I'll do it. We are in the market for a DC and Rocky Long of SDSU has apparently been interviewing for a DC job somewhere. At least according to brand X. Seems that at the age of 70 he wants to step back a bit and resume the defensive side of the field instead of dealing with the hassle of being the HC.

This raises a few questions. Does he still have the energy to recruit? Does he still have the energy needed to be effective on a college football staff? Zach Arnett's name has been mentioned here but does he assume the HC at San Diego if Long does indeed leave? Would Arnett have a higher salary at WSU as DC than HC at SDSU. Would we prefer the mentor for a few years or the student for a possible longer stretch? Leach has expressed respect for San Diego's defense during media interviews that strayed into our upcoming defensive changes. Thus either are a possibility as the next DC and we can be sure that CML is watching these developments down south.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions from others on the board would be appreciated.
Long mentioned in a recent interview that he and Leach are friendly. Not certain if that means they’re drinking buddies as will be proclaimed by another.
USC was also mentioned in the article, as was Syracuse.
The guys got an outstanding resume, remains to be known whether he still has fuel in the tank.

I tend to think Arnett would be the better fit, assuming he doesn't get promoted to HC. Don't think Leach wants to go through the hassle of hiring a new DC again in a few years, which he would undoubtedly have to do if he went with Long.

I like the idea of Arnett, but he's probably the next HC if SDSU and I don't think you walk away from the big chair to be second banana in Pullman. Rocky Long is a great coach, but if wants the slower pace of being a DC you do have to wonder how much energy he has for the recruiting trail. I personally think we need someone who is a little more motivated to move up in the world.

I wonder if we can get Brady Hoke (we probably can, but should we). He's at SDSU right now and would definitely like to reverse his trajectory. Downside is his tenure at Michigan seems to have killed his mojo. The defense at Oregon his year there was bad. But I gotta think he should be at a higher level than G5 position coach.

Long mentioned in a recent interview that he and Leach are friendly. Not certain if that means they’re drinking buddies as will be proclaimed by another.
USC was also mentioned in the article, as was Syracuse.
The guys got an outstanding resume, remains to be known whether he still has fuel in the tank.

We don't need a DC who's carrying the recruiting load all that much. We need a DC who runs a good defense, hires the right assistants to help him at that and helps close the deal on recruits that the assistants pursue. Some recruiting is good, but it doesn't have to be their focus as long as they are able to keep up with what everyone else is doing and give the right advice.

We don't need a DC who's carrying the recruiting load all that much. We need a DC who runs a good defense, hires the right assistants to help him at that and helps close the deal on recruits that the assistants pursue. Some recruiting is good, but it doesn't have to be their focus as long as they are able to keep up with what everyone else is doing and give the right advice.
What I also like about Long is his long-time position coaching (7 years) of DB’s. We need help in both securing depth and more importantly in the quality of play.

Smells like a higher profile Dave Yost situation. Yost was fine, since we had other recruiters on the staff. Not sure if we're in a position to absorb a zero on the recruiting trail right now.

Hire him. What WSU needs immediately on that side of the ball is high end coaching. The kids need to be confident in their scheme. The staff needs a mentor.

As for recruiting, I think WSU is what it is. A three star school. And that is fine with me. What Long does is give you a coach that knows SoCal, has respect from those HS coaches, kids know who he is and what he has done, if he comes off as a grandfather type guy ~ I am 100% confident that type of man can do well as a DC at WSU.

Reactions: taf88
Smells like a higher profile Dave Yost situation. Yost was fine, since we had other recruiters on the staff. Not sure if we're in a position to absorb a zero on the recruiting trail right now.

The Yost experience was recalled by me too. That said, Yost was a absolute zero in recruiting whereas either one of the two would provide immediate knowledge and entry into the fertile recruiting fields of southern California. Even if Long had to wheel his aluminum walker up the sidewalks in L.A., he would be doing more than I ever noticed Yost doing.

The Yost experience was recalled by me too. That said, Yost was a absolute zero in recruiting whereas either one of the two would provide immediate knowledge and entry into the fertile recruiting fields of southern California. Even if Long had to wheel his aluminum walker up the sidewalks in L.A., he would be doing more than I ever noticed Yost doing.
Dude's pretty fit for a 69-70 year old guy. Is SDSU thinking of Hoke as HC again? Hoke's only 61. Zach would be good as well. Zach interviewed for the NM HC job. Why not Long and Arnett? Or Hoke and Arnett?

Rocky Long is a very good Defensive coach who has coached against Leach in the past. He is not a recruiter however and that would be the only drawback. I like Long and he is a pretty straight arrow and would certainly fit into the Pullman culture.He believes in hard smash mouth football. He wants tough guys on the defense.

I would amend your answer in that this DC needs to light up recruiting. If he can do it without “carrying the recruiting load”, fine. But recruits need to be excited to get a visit from WSU.

Rocky long would get along well with potential recruits. However you cannot expect a 70 year old to hit the recruiting trail very often SDSU recruited very well for a MWC team. His NM teams played Leachs TT's teams well and he beat Leach at least once. Rocky comes across as a "man s Man" and he is impressive in person. I have known him casually for decades but have not spoken to him in decades.

Of course they want to keep him, He deserves a big raise as well as his assistants do. However if he wants to concentrate on defense i say hire the guy you will not be disappointed. If i remember correctly his NM teams use to smash the Air force and their triple option. He also shut down Leach s Air raid a couple of times with less talent on his side.That was a long time ago but i think that i am right in my recall just off the top of my head. Long does not come across as a grandfather but more as a strong father who will not take crap from anyone. He is active physically and ia always in shape and he expects his players to toe the line and be strong both physically and mentally.I would be surprised if he would take the job.

Last edited:
I would amend your answer in that this DC needs to light up recruiting. If he can do it without “carrying the recruiting load”, fine. But recruits need to be excited to get a visit from WSU.

That's why I said that if our DC isn't out recruiting heavy, he's got to be able to help close the deal once we've identified guys that are seriously interested. Let the young guys travel all over the place fishing for talent......have our DC walk in the door when he needs to. He does need to be able to pull the kids in when he's there. Honestly, I'm not sure if Rocky Long is that guy.....but if he is......we could do worse from an experience standpoint.

That's why I said that if our DC isn't out recruiting heavy, he's got to be able to help close the deal once we've identified guys that are seriously interested. Let the young guys travel all over the place fishing for talent......have our DC walk in the door when he needs to. He does need to be able to pull the kids in when he's there. Honestly, I'm not sure if Rocky Long is that guy.....but if he is......we could do worse from an experience standpoint.
As the head coach, he seems to have done just fine. One extremely important aspect is that he seems to evaluate players well. Leach knows who to offer when it comes to offense. They have been able to find players that are not four star players and develop them into an excellent offense. I think that Long would be able to get players that fit his system.

Get Long or Arnett NOW!!!! Is SDSU crazy?

Last edited:
Got Long or Arnett NOW!!!! Is SDSU crazy?
It was the reasonable choice. I say get them both. Someone who can school other teams and a high paid coach (Zach) in waiting.
giphy.gif

Hire Long and let him bring his entire staff from SDSU with him.

Of course, that probably won't happen since Leach is sipping mai tais with Miss State's AD in Key West, not interviewing DC candidates.

Reactions: froropmkr72

Of course, that probably won't happen since Leach is sipping mai tais with Miss State's AD in Key West, not interviewing DC candidates.
Hoke has said he's make staff changes.....already. If ML does accept the MS job and doesn't do anything about the DC situation....?

How do you know he is not interviewing DC? There is all kinds of ways to do interviews today.

Reactions: kougkurt
Give me Craig Bohl with Gerald Alexander or the SDSU DC or Tosh Lupoi at DC. Not that I want Leach to leave but I wouldn’t mind seeing a more prominent split at HC/DC or OC/DC then 4 mil to Leach and 500k to a nobody DC.

It looks like hoke was willing to make staff changes and Long was. So, Hoke announces this first thing after taking the job.

Bruce Feldman

✔@BruceFeldmanCFB

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1214966748631330816

The San Diego State drama with Rocky Long stems in part from the administration wanting him to look at some staff changes and him not wanting them to tell him what to do with his program, per sources. He definitely has been calling around to some Power 5 programs about DC jobs.

Evidently SDSU wanted Long to fire his O coordinator and he told them to stuff it. As i said the man does not take crap from anyone.

Maybe Long will be our head coach with Leach continuing to flirt with other suiters.

That would be a huge changeas Lokng is sefensive man People have always thought that his offenses are too blue collar. Thus the requested change at SDSU which Long quit for.

CP is a joke. i never said that anyone has inside info. I read the reports from different sources much like anyone else.Some say that he has been contacting several P5 schools ?. I guess he wants to continue coaching. I believe that he was making close to 900K as the head coach at SDSU. Can the cougs afford him? It would be interesting as Long prefers a conservative offense. Leach would certainly be a far cry from that approach.

The word fron New Mexico is that Long has some options. They say that he will either take an DC job at NM or,take a fund raising position at UNM as they love him there. He turned down the DC at Syracuse. He could also choose to be the DC at SDSU. The word there is that he has not been approached by other P 5 schools to be the DC. Take it for what it is worth.

today's San Diego union tribune quotes Long saying he's listening to DC offers but would stay at SDSU as DC if Arnett takes another job

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT